Google's new 3D Maps destroy Manhattan in the wake of Apple's Flyover

Comments

• Reply 61 of 148
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Look. Google is doing this on purpose. They are trying to help Apple. They feel sorry for the huge drop in Apple stock value.
  • Reply 62 of 148
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    You don't have to go to New York to see this in Google Maps 3D / Earth. I was zooming in on our local maps to check out a kayaking trail in the intracoastal waterways here on the west coast of Florida and low and behold road bridges were buckled all over the place. My guess is Google are going over to mesh and like Apple have kinks in their meshes :D (pun intended).
  • Reply 63 of 148
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ecs wrote: »
    T
    Apple is too tied to iOS development, and they become more and more tied to it with the time. On the other hand, Google is more diversified: they don't forget their historically key markets as they enter new ones. Google is being smarter than Apple.

Haha. What markets have Google reinvented? Buzz? Wave? Google+? They seem to play follow the leader. Glasses will be a dud.
  • Reply 64 of 148
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Actually, your "not true" is not true... The new desktop Google Maps (invite only) includes Street View, Google Earth and a "Picture Carousel". The implemention of Earth is different -- it doesn't zoom all the way out, rotate the earth, then zoom in -- but the underlying data and graphics are much the same for most places.

What are you trying to say? The article states that " neither Google nor Nokia have a similar, integrated 3D visualization feature for their own mobile platforms" Google earth on mobile has had an "integrated 3D visualization featurefor about a year. The article is wrong about this fact.

I can do everything in that video on my android or desktop (using google earth). Oddly the invite only Google maps is restricted to 45 degrees as you pointed out. I'm sure that will change before it's released.

• Reply 65 of 148
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    You don't have to go to New York to see this in Google Maps 3D / Earth. I was zooming in on our local maps to check out a kayaking trail in the intracoastal waterways here on the west coast of Florida and low and behold road bridges were buckled all over the place. My guess is Google are going over to mesh and like Apple have kinks in their meshes :D (pun intended).

How to fix a messed-up mesh...

Don't you insert another mesh device called a skink... or a skank... or some such... Like they did with VP Cheny's heart artery...

Edit: Sorry, my bad... the device is called a stent.
    :smokey:
  • Reply 66 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Mr. Nexus - How did you do in school with reading comprehension? Apparently not to well... what part of "integrated" and "mobile platforms" did you not understand?

Are you calling Google earth for mobile not integrated? If so, what qualifies for you as being integrated into Android?

Also, nice insult. It really adds to the credibility of your argument and contributes greatly to this thread so, thanks.

• Reply 67 of 148
    How to fix a messed-up mesh...

Don't you insert another mesh device called a skink... or a skank... or some such... Like they did with VP Cheny's heart artery...

Edit: Sorry, my bad... the device is called a stent.
    :smokey:

Job Ad ... 'Want a stint working for us to put stents in our messed up meshes we missed?" :D
  • Reply 68 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So we're comparing an invite-only beta to a product that launched with spectacular hyperbole, are we?

I wonder why the press hasn't castigated Google for this yet? image

Actually it's been out for a year on Google earth (not beta) and I haven't seen any improvement. I really only used it as a cool factor to look at so I don't mind but clearly Apple's Flyover is much more refined.

• Reply 69 of 148
    A masterclass of the literary and journalistic use of "damnation with faint praise" while at the same time exposing the double standard of tech criticism when issues concern Apple.

DED you have surpassed yourself.
  • Reply 70 of 148
    Google Maps will always be seen as way better than anything Apple Maps has to offer. Google is good, Apple is bad. Everyone knows this much. Apple charges too much for its products, doesn't reward shareholders and avoids paying taxes. Apple is the most hated company in America and on Wall Street. Even if Google 3D flyover sucks monkey gonads, it's still better than Apple Maps based on general principle alone. This is why Apple is said not to have a future and is always seen as a doomed company. Everyone wishes Apple would just go away and let things return to their own natural order of free and cheap products for consumers. There will always be smear campaigns against Apple because the company is hated by the news media and tech pundits alike. All are hoping to see Apple fail. Goodbye, Apple. It was nice knowing ya... or maybe not.

I saw a great cartoon once but can't find it now. It showed a very long line of scruffy nerdy looking guys waiting at a door. Above the door it said Google-Android ... and below that 'Wanted, ex Microsoft lovers/ Apple haters. Apply here."
  • Reply 71 of 148
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    nexusphan wrote: »
    Actually, your "not true" is not true... The new desktop Google Maps (invite only) includes Street View, Google Earth and a "Picture Carousel". The implemention of Earth is different -- it doesn't zoom all the way out, rotate the earth, then zoom in -- but the underlying data and graphics are much the same for most places.

[SIZE=14px]What are you trying to say? The article states that "<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'HelveticaNeue-Light', 'Helvetica Neue Light', 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Sans Serif';line-height:22.796875px;"> neither Google nor Nokia have a similar, integrated 3D visualization feature for their own mobile platforms" </span>
    [/SIZE]<span style="font-size:14px;line-height:17px;">Google earth on mobile has had an "</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:'HelveticaNeue-Light', 'Helvetica Neue Light', 'Helvetica Neue', 'Segoe UI', Helvetica, Arial, 'Sans Serif';font-size:14px;line-height:22.796875px;">integrated 3D visualization feature</span>
    [SIZE=14px][/SIZE]<span style="font-size:14px;line-height:17px;">for about a year. The article is wrong about this fact.</span>

<span style="font-size:14px;line-height:17px;">I can do everything in that video on my android or desktop (using google earth). Oddly the invite only Google maps is restricted to 45 degrees as you pointed out. I'm sure that will change before it's released.</span>

Post it -- I'd like to see it!
  • Reply 72 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

They hyped Apple maps to stratospheric heights…

Although one year on…

Apple didn't do that. And seven months isn't a year.

Once it's released for everyone to use then feel free to pick holes, I'm sure some will still be there.

Just like there are still problems in Google's mapping proper. Problems that everyone ignores.

• Reply 73 of 148
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

What are you trying to say? The article states that " neither Google nor Nokia have a similar, integrated 3D visualization feature for their own mobile platforms" Google earth on mobile has had an "integrated 3D visualization featurefor about a year. The article is wrong about this fact. ...

Goggle Earth on mobile is not integrated into the mapping solution and is a stand alone app the last time I used it.  The point being that no one uses it for mapping purposes and it's use is order of magnitudes lower than that for Google maps.  It's more like a novelty app that shows 3D pics of the planet.  

Now since Apple basically integrated their version of "Google Earth" into their maps, I'm sure Google will do the same, but currently they haven't.  A year form now, Google's map product will look almost identical to Apple's (except they will presumably still have street-view and Apple won't), and then your comment would be correct. 

• Reply 74 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's more like a novelty app that shows 3D pics of the planet.  

That's all 3D buildings are in the first place, both on Apple and Google.

The AI article implies that you can't currently view 3D buildings on Android, and that is simply not true. That's all I was trying to point out.

• Reply 75 of 148
    Must have missed the bit where Google pushed the Google Maps /preview/ live and removed all alternative working solutions.

Street view is the normal workflow for people to search for somewhere then explore the immediate vicinity, not launch another app.
  • Reply 76 of 148
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by blaggablug View Post

Must have missed the bit where Google pushed the Google Maps /preview/ live and removed all alternative working solutions.

Must have missed the bit where Apple did that, either.

• Reply 77 of 148
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    ...exposing the double standard of tech criticism when issues concern Apple.

The majority of the bad press that apple maps suffered from was because of lost of data/accuracy and features (transit) due to switching away from Google. There were a few articles regarding flyover problems, but that was not the focus of the backwash. So considering the new Google maps doesn't suffer from these problems, double standard not found.

Also, backwash from apple maps didn't really pick up until it was released to the public, which hasn't happened with the new Google maps yet.
  • Reply 78 of 148
    Must have missed the bit where Apple did that, either.

You don't remember that time when Apple forcibly removed Google maps from all iPhones and replaced it with their beta maps? It was about a year ago now.
  • Reply 79 of 148

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Not to mention, of course, the really scary part:

"Access to the new Google Maps also requires an invitation, which links your online session to your Google account, reinforcing the company's ad-centric business model."

You can't even look at a map without Google crawling into your shorts.

You can sign into Google to start your session, and promptly sign out... the NEW Google Maps will reset, but will still be available. My initial observations are that they are improved and are kinda following the whole concept of cards that were launched in Apple Maps (as far as I can remember).  However, even on my quad-core desktop, the experience is slow, and I am not even talking about 3D imagery.

• Reply 80 of 148

You guys realize Google's who thing since the beginning has been invite-based beta testing.  It's ok for a product to have a few flaws when it is in beta.  It would be a much bigger deal (and I would be chastising them) if they made the OLD MAP THAT WORKED go away and REPLACED it with a broken piece of crap, like Apple did when they removed Google Maps from iOS.  This new Google map isn't even available to the general public yet.  Google has done plenty of things improperly, this is not one of them.