'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Comments

• Reply 21 of 268
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    This article is entirely useless without:

- information on *why* they didn't like it.
    - what the criteria for testing was
    - a description of how "Ace Metrix's" system is set up

However, personally ... I agree.

When this ad isn't [I]boring[/I], it's [B]smug[/B], and talking about "we" without explaining until the very end who "we" is (consumer or company) is kind of a classic noob mistake. Surprised that such a prestigious firm made it.
  • Reply 22 of 268
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member

Well, duh, of course it did.  There are 49 other states in the Union and most of them have a negative view of California. I'm glad they are so proud to be from California but it rankles me just as much as those people saying Texas should secede.  Apple is what Apple is because of their hiring practices which includes ALL of the US as well as the entire world. I mean, look at Johnny Ive for crying out loud.  Apple doesn't "belong" to California and their success has nothing to do with California.  In fact, given the taxes and such Apple would most likely be a much more lucrative company if they were based elsewhere.

• Reply 23 of 268
    Little wonder. It's a shitty, pompous advert that only serves to stroke Apple's ego.
  • Reply 24 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

You're not suggesting Cook is the only one who had a say in it, are you? That would be silly.

Nope, but Jobs would likely call this for what it is - a pile of sugary w@nk - and people would listen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The other factor is that this is the type of ad that requires repetition. A single viewing (as in this survey) really wont' accomplish much. But after repeated viewings, it will start to have an impact.

Diabetes?

• Reply 25 of 268
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

I find the "it means everything" tagline to be very weak.  If you've ever watched "American Idol", "America's Got Talent" or any other of these reality TV abominations, you see the ritual of the judge or the host ask a contender what winning would mean, and the idiot contestant invariably says it would mean "everything."  That sentiment has become meaningless.

And don't go with "amazing."  That word has lost its meaning as well and belongs on the jibber-jabber dungheap with "awesome."

• Reply 26 of 268
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Honestly, without the wordy narrator, the ad would have been pretty good. They didn't need to say a single word. The most powerful and profound things are the ones you can't explain and you can't say. Apple should know this by now - it's what defines their products. Not the bits you can explain, but the ones you can't, and you just know. My favorite recent ad that captures this is Photos Every Day.

• Reply 27 of 268
    matrix07 wrote: »
    I think it's better in print. In TV it just felt similar to "Everyday" campaign. Should have run the animation one like you said.

I agree, the print version isn't quite as achingly sentimental, but I don't think it's really more effective, I think the photo and empty space that accompanies it is basically irrelevant. Phil Schiller is obviously a smart guy, but I don't think he has a common touch for marketing.
  • Reply 28 of 268
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Like Google Glass?

Shh...the nerds are asleep. You don't want to excite then or they'll never get back to sleep.
  • Reply 29 of 268
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Let's see, who do I place more trust in? World famous advertising firm Chiat-Day or a "consulting firm" nobody has ever heard of spouting negativity about Apple? Let me think about that for a second.

Really, AI? You decided to print this?

Wow, fanboy to the point AI should only print good news now?

• Reply 30 of 268
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

You're not suggesting Cook is the only one who had a say in it, are you? That would be silly.

No, but he definitely needs to get off the "Steve is dead so Apple is doomed" bandwagon.

• Reply 31 of 268
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Designed by Apple in California - build by children in China.

However, aren't they all? Do we really have an option? Can't really hold that against Apple, but advertising where it was designed is almost deceiving. Just about every product sold by a US company was designed in the US. Few of them are actually BUILT in the US, which, to me, is a shame.

• Reply 32 of 268
    ruel24ruel24 Posts: 432member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

No, but he definitely needs to get off the "Steve is dead so Apple is doomed" bandwagon.

Apple isn't doomed, but Cook isn't the guy Apple needs right now, IMO. Apple needs vision and Cook seems to lack it. Admittedly, it's near impossible to follow a guy as charismatic as Steve Jobs. I wouldn't want to have to do that.

• Reply 33 of 268
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Their "signature" in these ads should have been an Apple logo.
  • Reply 34 of 268
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

It's a real contrast. The person who made this ad thinks that to appeal to everyone you have to include an example of everyone in an ad (young, old, white, black, ...). Steve knew better: to appeal to everyone you just need to use universally appealing *ideas* (such as the Think Different campaign).

• Reply 35 of 268
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Is there anything Apple does these days that doesn't either bring out the trolls or the Steve wouldn't have crowd?  image

• Reply 36 of 268
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ifij775 wrote: »
    Apple should evoke the thought of new, mind-blowing technology, not your grandma showing a slide-show

I disagree.
  • Reply 37 of 268
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member

Too subtle.

They could have saved 55 seconds by saying: "Apple is American and Samsung is a bunch of Korean crooks."  This line should be delivered by Clint Eastwood, Glenn Beck, Ted Nugent or a Charleton Heston impersonator.  It would be much more to the point.

• Reply 38 of 268
    Yes it's way too contrived and boring. That scene where the guy whips out his iPad Mini to take a photo at a Thai restaurant, I was expecting the guy next to him to punch him in the face. People hate the implied smug factor and the narcissistic gadget play, so why include it. Why not show a doctor or scientist using it in the field? Remember when Apple was for serious people? Also, Next keynote require Al Gore to bring an interesting guest.
  • Reply 39 of 268
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

However, personally ... I agree.

When this ad isn't boring, it's smug, and talking about "we" without explaining until the very end who "we" is (consumer or company) is kind of a classic noob mistake. Surprised that such a prestigious firm made it.

I actually love this. But I can see how it fails and why the ad is a mistake. I think it was intended as the new 'Crazy Ones'. A kind of mission statement. The trouble is it isn't needed, and so come off as a little smug. It is too low key, too subtle. It is very beautiful and I think the idea is very sophisticated and well executed, but I also think that what the ad is saying Apple shouldn't be saying. Let the public and the commentators say it. Or think it.

Apple is at pains to tell the world how much they suffer to bring us these amazing products. I think they should back off a little. They over-do it at every new launch. The Ive style introspection gets a little formulaic if repeated too often. The trouble with such introspective ponderings is that they lack excitement. We get Apple's depth and commitment, but lets be told how awesome and thrilling the products are.

I wonder if as Apple's products are used by all age groups Apple purposefully has been targeting an older audience. It seems that for quite while now parent and grand parents have been the focus.

I am not sure how many people remember the Jeff Golblum voiced ads. I despised those for their smug-ness. Its the Apple trait  I like the least. For me the most powerful ads were the dancing iPod ads, though as all ads, they were of their time, and targeted at quite specific market.

• Reply 40 of 268
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Their "signature" in these ads should have been an Apple logo.

Agreed-  the  ( built by Apple in Cal..)   tag line creates an "awkward inward"  looking ending to a collage of images and ideas that are about the apple experience, 

which has been carefully crafted over the years.    

Better suited as an internal company piece that acknowledges employee efforts.