'Designed by Apple in California' ad ranks poorly in consumer survey

Comments

• Reply 61 of 268
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

Too subtle.

They could have saved 55 seconds by saying: "Apple is American and Samsung is a bunch of Korean crooks."  This line should be delivered by Clint Eastwood, Glenn Beck, Ted Nugent or a Charleton Heston impersonator.  It would be much more to the point.

Right.  The most progressive company on the planet, should hire a series of tired old right-wing nut-jobs to promote their product.  That makes perfect sense. 

• Reply 62 of 268
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

You do understand that advertising departments and agencies make commercials, write scripts, and generally come up with the ideas, not the CEOs, right?
  • Reply 63 of 268
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Your lack of understanding does not make the ads a mistake.

As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently. More advertising missteps, releasing a very rough, unpolished looking beta-level iOS 7 for developers... Frankly, these are troubling for a variety of reasons. Primarily it indicates to me that the push for "insanely great" every time is fast becoming "good enough...I'll fix it tomorrow".

That kind of thinking might be OK at Microsoft, but it doesn't work at Apple. People need to start getting fired. I'm seeing less urgency at Apple now.
  • Reply 64 of 268
    The ads look and feel and sound great to me. I see the Designed in California theme as a primer for the upcoming release of the Built in America Mac Pro.
  • Reply 65 of 268
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Apple is run by a bunch of old, white, American, men and it's starting to show I think.

Just about every large company and every government branch is run by a bunch of old, white, American men. Did you just notice this first with Apple?
  • Reply 66 of 268
    The ads look and feel and sound great to me. I see the Designed in California theme as a primer for the upcoming release of the Built in America Mac Pro.

It'll only be designed and assembled here. The manufacturing still happens in China.
  • Reply 67 of 268
    dysamoria wrote: »
    You do understand that advertising departments and agencies make commercials, write scripts, and generally come up with the ideas, not the CEOs, right?

Agencies don't approve the final ads. The client does that.
  • Reply 68 of 268
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    You put your finger on something here that I was thinking, but couldn't put into words.  This ad is "old."

It would fit right in, if you saw it in the 1960's, or 1970's, or discovered the print add while flipping through "Life" magazine in the later parts of the last century.  But it's been the 21st Century for a while now and if it's anything like the last two, by about 2020 all hell will break loose and things won't look anything like the last century.  That's only five years off now. 

Apple is run by a bunch of old, white, American, men and it's starting to show I think.  The OS's and the devices are definitely 21st century, but their whole aesthetic with the advertising is not playing as well as it used to.  They need to strike out in a new direction.  

They changed ad companies quite a while ago now and most of the new ads are either not as good as the old ones, or successful only because they repeat the same sort of thing that worked before.  I'd like to see something just as good, but new and different instead of the "same old same old."
    I thought these ads were done by Chiat Day? Also, what does being white and American have to do with anything? Apple was run by white, American men when Steve Jobs ran the show. I don't remember people complaining then. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 69 of 268
    dysamoria wrote: »
    Just about every large company and every government branch is run by a bunch of old, white, American men. Did you just notice this first with Apple?

What does "white" have to do with anything, my dear racist?
  • Reply 70 of 268
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    500, that's the number of viewers they surveyed.

There are questions about whether the Nielsen pool of 25k is enough to be statistically sound. 500 can't possibly be
  • Reply 71 of 268
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    I think the ad lacks the poetic touch "Think Different" had. "Think Different" was poetic and inspiring. This is rather bland, Cook obviously lacks Job's linguistic flair.

You could say the same thing about every ad in the Jobs era other than Think Different.

Some folks like, some dislike. It's the same for every ad. Some trumped up survey means nothing.

All that matters is folks buying. And they are
  • Reply 72 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBowfinger View Post

... People don't care where it was designed. ...

This is the thing that I keep coming to again and again lately.  Of course Americans care, but they are literally the only ones.  The rabid "must be made in America" thing is tired, old, and borderline offensive to most of their target audience, yet Apple has that typical american blindness about this fact.  To double-down on "made in America in the early stages of the 21st century is just lame and dumb IMO.  

Imagine for a moment that it's an alternate universe and the tag line is "Made entirely by white people."  It's the same thing.  

Because we are fast approaching a "post-racial" society around the world, "made by whites" seems like an offensive and artificial separation (and it is), but from the point of view of a globalist or anyone who considers themselves a citizen of the 21st century, "Made in California in the good old USA" is just as divisive, and just as offensive.  In a very short time this will seem like parochial nonsense at best, and prejudice at it's worst.  

All it is, is separating one group from another and saying "we're better."  How is that ever a good advertising message?  How is saying (essentially) "Made by people that are better than you," to the majority of their customers a smart move?  All this crap about "Mavericks" and California is the same thing.  Essentially they are saying "Made in a place better than where you live."

Who gives a shit where something was made?  We want to know that it was made ethically, but most folks under 30 don't give a crap about "made in America."  

• Reply 73 of 268
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Prior to this ad campaign how much was Apple really doing that? I don't remember any ads from 2011, 2012 or even earlier in 2013 really following this formula. Sure the two iPhone ads they released might have been on the quieter side. But they were focused on people using Apple's products. I get the sense this ad campaign is a response to the critics (wall street and others) that are essentially going after Apple for not being Samsung and not flooding the market with product every other day. Apple is basically saying they focus on a few great things that take time and that won't be changing any time soon.

These ads might not resonate with the general public, but I'm not sure that the average joe seeing it on TV would automatically think smug or arrogant. Maybe boring. Also couldn't one argue that the products speak for themselves and Apple shouldn't have to tell us how awesome they are? And even if they did that you'd have people complaining about the ads being arrogant. Like that article on The Verge that poked fun at all the superlatives Apple used during the WWDC keynote.

They did show people using Apple products in previous ads - I was thinking about the iPad ads which focusses on the product but it was very much a lifestyle ad, slow and contemplative. This new ad also shows people using the products but now as a very natural extension of every day life. I think it is good, myself.

I agree that this campaign is a response to the Samsung et all approach. It speaks to quality and true value as opposed to gimmicky, ad as you say 'flooding the market'.

Yes, Apple products should, and do, speak for themselves. But there is nothing wrong with creating excitement and buzz. Like the silhouette / earbuds iPod ads did in their time. The self congratulatory stream of superlatives must stop. That is for sure. It starts being counter productive after a while.

• Reply 74 of 268
    charlituna wrote: »
    500, that's the number of viewers they surveyed.

There are questions about whether the Nielsen pool of 25k is enough to be statistically sound. 500 can't possibly be

I know I'm not helping by agreeing with a potentially flawed survey, but I do agree with this one. I felt annoyed when I first saw the 'California' ad. Annoyed that Apple would waste my time as a viewer by congratulating themselves in a long form ad.
  • Reply 75 of 268
    As an Apple shareholder (and there are many here), I am naturally concerned with the amount of navel-gazing coming out of Apple recently. More advertising missteps, releasing a very rough, unpolished looking beta-level iOS 7 for developers... Frankly, these are troubling for a variety of reasons. Primarily it indicates to me that the push for "insanely great" every time is fast becoming "good enough...I'll fix it tomorrow".

That kind of thinking might be OK at Microsoft, but it doesn't work at Apple. People need to start getting fired. I'm seeing less urgency at Apple now.
    In case you forgot, someone did get fired last year. Also lets not forget it was Jobs who promoted Cook to CEO and gave Ive more operational power than anyone else. So maybe Steve's the one who needs to be fired....of course Apple can't do that because he's dead.
  • Reply 76 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Not true, and no.  You're showing your bias inadvertently here.  You mean to say almost every large American company.  

Many of the largest companies in the world are neither American, nor have "white guys" filling any substantial part or their workforce or leadership. 

• Reply 77 of 268
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Prior to this ad campaign how much was Apple really doing that? I don't remember any ads from 2011, 2012 or even earlier in 2013 really following this formula. Sure the two iPhone ads they released might have been on the quieter side. But they were focused on people using Apple's products. I get the sense this ad campaign is a response to the critics (wall street and others) that are essentially going after Apple for not being Samsung and not flooding the market with product every other day. Apple is basically saying they focus on a few great things that take time and that won't be changing any time soon.

These ads might not resonate with the general public, but I'm not sure that the average joe seeing it on TV would automatically think smug or arrogant. Maybe boring. Also couldn't one argue that the products speak for themselves and Apple shouldn't have to tell us how awesome they are? And even if they did that you'd have people complaining about the ads being arrogant. Like that article on The Verge that poked fun at all the superlatives Apple used during the WWDC keynote.

Finally, the point of the ad. As you say, it's a response to Samsung's promiscuous screen-size churn. Koreans don't care if you can actually use their junk. Only designers in California care about life enhancement, because they live in a place devoted to life enhancement for generations. Sort of like the south of France, only with more narcissism and less history.

There's some truth to this, but how obnoxious it must seem to anyone not in California. I think they should drop the geography real quick, except for the box and the back of the device. They may have already ruined the phrase by putting it on TV.
  • Reply 78 of 268
    This is the thing that I keep coming to again and again lately.  Of course Americans care, but they are literally the only ones.  The rabid "must be made in America" thing is tired, old, and borderline offensive to most of their target audience, yet Apple has that typical american blindness about this fact.  To double-down on "made in America in the early stages of the 21st century is just lame and dumb IMO.  

Imagine for a moment that it's an alternate universe and the tag line is "Made entirely by white people."  It's the same thing.  

Because we are fast approaching a "post-racial" society around the world, "made by whites" seems like an offensive and artificial separation (and it is), but from the point of view of a globalist or anyone who considers themselves a citizen of the 21st century, "Made in California in the good old USA" is just as divisive, and just as offensive.  In a very short time this will seem like parochial nonsense at best, and prejudice at it's worst.  

All it is, is separating one group from another and saying "we're better."  How is that ever a good advertising message?  How is saying (essentially) "Made by people that are better than you," to the majority of their customers a smart move?  All this crap about "Mavericks" and California is the same thing.  Essentially they are saying "Made in a place better than where you live."

Who gives a shit where something was made?  We want to know that it was made ethically, but most folks under 30 don't give a crap about "made in America."  

Wow you seriously seem to have issues with America and white people. And it's funny you say people don't give a crap about made in America when all we've been hearing for the last year is whining about why Apple can't build iPhones in the USA.
  • Reply 79 of 268

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I thought these ads were done by Chiat Day? Also, what does being white and American have to do with anything? Apple was run by white, American men when Steve Jobs ran the show. I don't remember people complaining then. image

I would argue that the original Apple Computer was far more inclusive than today's Apple is for starters.  I would agree that the Apple workforce today also is very inclusive.  

I'm saying they need some non-white, non-male, non-old people at the top making decisions.  They are all good guys, they just have that blindness that any group of almost identical leaders would have when they all get together and decide stuff.  

Not their fault, just human nature.  Especially when you get older.  

• Reply 80 of 268
    mike fixmike fix Posts: 270member

That ad reminds me so much of Reagan's Morning In America ad...

It makes it difficult for me to watch...