iPhone 5 takes 75% of US, Canada 4G Web traffic for 'newer' smartphones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to a report from ad network Chitika, the iPhone 5 accounted for just over three quarters of North American 4G Web traffic generated by phones released after July 2012, which translates to a 40 percent share when including all 4G-capable smartphones.

Chitika

The study, conducted over the first two weeks of June, showed 4G-ready handsets accounted for 30 percent of all active smartphones in the U.S. and Canada. The remaining 70 percent consisted of "other smartphones," like 3G and 2G wireless models.

Chitika based the report on tens of millions of smartphone-based online ad impressions on its network from June 1 to June 13, 2013.

Further breaking down the numbers, the firm found 53 percent of ad impressions came from 4G smartphones released after July 2012. This includes Apple's iPhone 5, which was introduced in September of last year.

The LTE-equipped iPhone 5 snagged some 40 percent of total traffic from 4G handsets, and 76 percent of traffic from smartphones brought to market after July 2012.

Other notable 4G smartphones seen in the study include Samsung's Galaxy S4, HTC' s One LG's Nexus 4, and both BB10 BlackBerry devices.

The firm noted that the results show newer model 4G phones are driving more traffic than their predecessors, even counting the latter's advantage of being on the market for months. Still, there is room for growth as cellular technology advances, and telecoms slowly allot more spectrum to 4G.

Earlier on Friday, market research firm comScore released its own set of numbers, showing Apple's iPhone lineup to be the handset of choice for the U.S. market. Combined model sales grew to 39.2 percent in July 2013, a boost of 0.3 percent mont-ober-month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 42
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I guess all those Android users are just... using Wi-Fi, huh?

Ah, wait, the generic Internet use charts say the same thing. :lol:
  • Reply 2 of 42
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    I'm not sure I understand the distinction between "4G" and "LTE'. Are they one and the same?

If not, what are the differences. Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 42
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, wait, the generic Internet use charts say the same thing. image

Something I've never understood about this whole thing. If Android is so dominant now, and Samsung is selling ten million S4s a minute, common sense says all these Android phones out there are just used for making phone calls and nothing else. These data points have been like this for a couple of years now, showing iOS completely dominating web use while Android just sits there. Either that or Samsung isn't selling as much as they say they are.

• Reply 4 of 42
    I wonder if this study can differentiate between web traffic from first-hand smartphone use, and web traffic funneled thru the smartphone used in a WiFi Hotspot/Personal Hotspot/Tethering context. My guess is that since the ad-impressions likely query the browser type and likely exclude non-smartphone versions of browsers, they are excluding 95% of my smartphone data usage. Because I obtain all my home computer internet via the hotspot function. This exclusion may be what Chitika desired, but may be mis-interpreted when telco's compare their own results to the Chitika conclusions.
  • Reply 5 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

There is obviously a rational explanation for this. Just like they claim to do with their internet browsers, Fandroids are spoofing their 4G signals, to make them appear as 2G Edge signals. So, these numbers are flawed and not reliable at all.

• Reply 6 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Either that or Samsung isn't selling as much as they say they are.

Ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!  Sammy doesn't actually say how many they sell, only how many they "ship".  That said, they have been proven to blatantly deceive with these numbers for other products, so it's reasonable to assume they're lying about smartphone sales too.  

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151854/quite-smooth-samsung-actually-sold-1-10-of-the-2-million-galaxy-tabs-it-claimed-in-2010

• Reply 7 of 42
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I wonder if this study can differentiate between web traffic from first-hand smartphone use, and web traffic funneled thru the smartphone used in a WiFi Hotspot/Personal Hotspot/Tethering context. My guess is that since the ad-impressions likely query the browser type and likely exclude non-smartphone versions of browsers, they are excluding 95% of my smartphone data usage. Because I obtain all my home computer internet via the hotspot function. This exclusion may be what Chitika desired, but may be mis-interpreted when telco's compare their own results to the Chitika conclusions.

Oh, so Android phones are only used for phone calls and...tethering, that explains it. That big screen sure makes tethering more fun.
  • Reply 8 of 42
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

There is obviously a rational explanation for this. Just like they claim to do with their internet browsers, Fandroids are spoofing their 4G signals, to make them appear as 2G Edge signals. So, these numbers are flawed and not reliable at all.

Recently, when this topic came up a couple weeks ago, someone was saying that the browser detection by some firms is not using the right methodology. A lot of Apple fans were joking that Android users were changing their user agent string to look like iPhones. Well, as it turns out, they don't have to spoof the user agent string because Android does it for them automatically.

Android user agent string

Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; ko-kr; LG-L160L Build/IML74K) AppleWebkit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30

Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

• Reply 9 of 42
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I wish our stupid telcos over here would've implemented the 4G band that the iPhone supports, but alas, stuck on 3G speed. Certainly hope the next model will support it because I don't see the telcos starting to invest on new towers.

Other notable 4G smartphones seen in the study include Samsung's Galaxy S4, HTC' s One LG's Nexus 4, and both BB10 BlackBerry devices.

Wait for the smart analyst to blog: BlackBerry sells twice as many smartphones than Samsung's S4.
  • Reply 10 of 42
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, wait, the generic Internet use charts say the same thing. image

I don't know how wide spread this phenomenon is but I've run into a lot of Android users that actually collect Android phones and they probably don't use them all.

• Reply 11 of 42
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Recently, when this topic came up a couple weeks ago, someone was saying that the browser detection by some firms is not using the right methodology. A lot of Apple fans were joking that Android users were changing their user agent string to look like iPhones. Well, as it turns out, they don't have to spoof the user agent string because Android does it for them automatically.

Notice that they claim to be Mobile Safari. So if sites are looking for that term, as I was, thinking I was targeting iPhones, etc. well it turns out that the Androids were being served up the same content unknowingly. So there could be something to the fact that Android is spoofing themselves as Mobile Safari that is throwing off the stats.

I'm not sure why Android browsers would show themselves to be Safari when they're not, but don't a lot of browsers use Apple's webkit, so maybe that has something to do with it?

• Reply 12 of 42
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Either that or Samsung isn't selling as much as they say they are.

Ding-ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!  Sammy doesn't actually say how many they sell, only how many they "ship".  That said, they have been proven to blatantly deceive with these numbers for other products, so it's reasonable to assume they're lying about smartphone sales too.  

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/151854/quite-smooth-samsung-actually-sold-1-10-of-the-2-million-galaxy-tabs-it-claimed-in-2010

Anything is possible. But you can only get away with that for a quarter or two or three. At some point, if you are shipping way more than you are truly selling, you have to write down the inventory, not to mention report losses. Samsung is in fact reporting massive profits. 

Lest we forget (or fail to understand), Apple also reports shipments, albeit differently than how others do.

• Reply 13 of 42
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    stelligent wrote: »
    Anything is possible. But you can only get away with that for a quarter or two or three. At some point, if you are shipping way more than you are truly selling, you have to write down the inventory, not to mention report losses. Samsung is in fact reporting massive profits. 

Lest we forget (or fail to understand), Apple also reports shipments, albeit differently than how others do.

Apple actually reports real numbers, not only certain hand picked numbers or analyst crap. No comparison.

Stuffing the channel is more likely to happen at launch, where a company claims "we sold XMillion in one day/week/month!" And analysts run with that, prorating it out for an entire year. Then sales drop like crazy the next quarter. That's what seems to have happened with the Galaxy Tab and now the Z10, amongst others.
  • Reply 14 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm not sure why Android browsers would show themselves to be Safari when they're not, but don't a lot of browsers use Apple's webkit, so maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm not sure either but I think Google Analytics probably gets it right so here is a snapshot of today on my USA only section of a global professional medical website showing just mobile devices which by the way make up around 20% of all visits. Notice there are quite a few that are recorded as (not set). But even if you give all of the not set category to Android then it still only totals 257 vs 791 for Apple.

• Reply 15 of 42
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Apple actually reports real numbers, not only certain hand picked numbers or analyst crap. No comparison.

Stuffing the channel is more likely to happen at launch, where a company claims "we sold XMillion in one day/week/month!" And analysts run with that, prorating it out for an entire year. Then sales drop like crazy the next quarter. That's what seems to have happened with the Galaxy Tab and now the Z10, amongst others.

What does "real numbers" mean? Don't get me wrong. I agree Apple is more transparent than Samsung. But most people are wrong about what they think Apple is reporting.

Regardless of what you think of Samsung's numbers, there has been no write down yet, and their profits have been rising.

• Reply 16 of 42
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    So you are using your phone as an access point. This available on most smartphone OSes as a standard function.
  • Reply 17 of 42
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    mstone wrote: »

Don't worry. These stats are looking for the Android part.
  • Reply 18 of 42
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ wrote: »

Or maybe they're out living life and knocking up broads.
  • Reply 19 of 42
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

. . . . 

FacsimileSam reports in S Korea, and there lies another story.

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

"The Shadow knows." (evil laugh, evil laugh, evil laugh)

• Reply 20 of 42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Or maybe they're out living life and knocking up broads.

Yup. Android is so Ghetto ... you bitches. /s /s

I added an extra /s for your comment.