WSJ: Apple finally signs deal with TSMC, decreases dependence on Samsung

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A report from The Wall Street Journal on Friday claims Apple finally sealed a deal with Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. earlier in June, with the first chips to start rolling off the production line in 2014.

TSMC

The WSJ report cites a TSMC executive as saying Apple signed an agreement that will see the chipmaker build next-generation 20nm A-series SoCs that will power future iterations of the iPhone and iPad. Samsung will continue to be Apple's main supplier of A-series chips for 2013.

According to the source, the deal was years in the making, as TSMC was unable to manufacture silicon up to the speed and power standards required by Apple. With the technical difficulties solved, the Taiwanese firm will start chip production in 2014.

Discussions of a partnership date back to 2010, the Journal says, but in 2011 TSMC was unwilling to accept an offer from Apple to either invest heavily in the firm, or reach an agreement that would dedicate a certain amount of fab space specifically for the production A-series chips.

Friday's news appears to confirm part a rumor from earlier this week, which said companies had inked a deal. That report also claimed 20nm SoCs were on the way, but pegged mass production to start in September of 2013 ahead of the chips' inclusion in Apple's next-gen products in 2014.

Currently, Apple relies exclusively on Samsung's fabrication facilities for its A-series processors. The switch to TSMC is widely believed to be part of a move away from Samsung as Apple looks to decrease its reliance on the Korean company.

So far, Apple has succeeded in diversifying its supply chain to include Toshiba NAND flash memory modules and displays made by LG, Japan Display and Sharp. The Cupertino company still sources components from Samsung, but to a much lesser extent than it did just a few years ago.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    scotia73scotia73 Posts: 14member
    Now just get all your screens from Sharp & LG and get rid of Samsung completely.
  • Reply 2 of 51
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    I know it's a stupid question, but why not Intel, AMD, or some other US company?
  • Reply 3 of 51
    scotia73scotia73 Posts: 14member
    Surely just cost related.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I know it's a stupid question, but why not Intel, AMD, or some other US company?

lol What does it matter (if it is US or not)? US hardware companies (besides apple) are responsible for what happened in the industry from 95 to 05. In fact, they suck so much that the asian equivalents from developing countries are just hammering it.

Obviously intel is great at what it does, but they would stab Apple at the first opportunity (ultrabook, wintel empire, etc).

Is there any value in AMD?

• Reply 5 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    scotia73 wrote: »
    Now just get all your screens from Sharp & LG and get rid of Samsung completely.

Well, once they can be given an assurance of quality, of course.
  • Reply 6 of 51
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Ta-ra-ra Boom-de-ay

My heart is pumpted today

I bet Koh's butt is red

Kicked out of Apple's bed.

Best I can do- short notice and all.

This isn't a full stop but the message makes its point as Apple takes the fight to the beaches. At least this is another good piece of the plan now in place.

Apple needs to know that it must never rely upon one company so heavily, ever again, Robin. I wonder if diversity is not a reason Apple isn't looking to Intel, AMD at the moment. However, 'twould be great to see some work brought back to the Home Front.

• Reply 7 of 51
    Great to hear! It's about time Apple drops the hammer on Samsung for all their blatent theft of Apple's IP over the years.

Now to find a supplier of hq screens and drop them alltogether.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member

I don't think AMD has any fabricating plants, but in this article, the Intel CEO seems to hint that they might do something under the right circumstances.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Buh bye Sammy. Next, drop Googs as the default.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Not a stupid question at all.  TSMC is a manufacturing beast and close to a pure foundry.  That means they don't make their own chips (although they do do some design work for those that want it)- they just make whatever other people want them to make.  You won't hear of a 'TSMC Pentium' chip or anything they actually make themselves.  They just make a ton of stuff at low margins and can underbid most simply by economies of scale.

Intel likes to be a 'playa'  They have their own products.  They generally don't build 'low end' semiconductor devices making mostly high end processors.  They like high margins.

Apple generally likes to enter business relationships where they are the dictator rather than a partner and TSMC is a better fit.  That said, the only thing that worries me about TSMC is they struggled a little last year (production wise, not financially) and their two biggest customers went shopping because TSMC couldn't meet their demand.  Adding a new 'biggest customer' when you're already struggling with your existing ones is questionable, and leaves Apple a little vulnerable if TSMC can't deliver.  Hate Samsung all you want but they deliver.  I think Apple found a pretty good balance- their knee jerk was probably to get rid of Samsung sooner, but if they get rid of Samsung at the expense of shooting off their own foot its not worth it.

• Reply 11 of 51
    colpercolper Posts: 7member
    Personally, I would prefer to have Apple's insides made by Samsung (if it can't be Apple/amd/intel) I know most people on here think of them as the devil, but they make solid products. The macs your using now, which we all grown to love have Samsung inside. I think the future quality of Apple products shows some signs of concern...
  • Reply 12 of 51
    the cool gutthe cool gut Posts: 1,714member

Quote:

These are ARM chips, and Intel wants to focus on x86.  AMD doesn't have enough capacity.

• Reply 13 of 51
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

lol What does it matter (if it is US or not)? US hardware companies (besides apple) are responsible for what happened in the industry from 95 to 05. In fact, they suck so much that the asian equivalents from developing countries are just hammering it.

Obviously intel is great at what it does, but they would stab Apple at the first opportunity (ultrabook, wintel empire, etc).

Is there any value in AMD?

Texas Instruments is and has always been a great company... one I would love to see Apple buy.

However, I think Apple wanted to move to a foundry only company, where there wouldn't be a conflict of interest.

• Reply 14 of 51
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    frood wrote: »
    Not a stupid question at all.  TSMC is a manufacturing beast and close to a pure foundry.  That means they don't make their own chips (although they do do some design work for those that want it)- they just make whatever other people want them to make.  You won't hear of a 'TSMC Pentium' chip or anything they actually make themselves.  They just make a ton of stuff at low margins and can underbid most simply by economies of scale.

Intel likes to be a 'playa'  They have their own products.  They generally don't build 'low end' semiconductor devices making mostly high end processors.  They like high margins.

Apple generally likes to enter business relationships where they are the dictator rather than a partner and TSMC is a better fit.  That said, the only thing that worries me about TSMC is they struggled a little last year (production wise, not financially) and their two biggest customers went shopping because TSMC couldn't meet their demand.  Adding a new 'biggest customer' when you're already struggling with your existing ones is questionable, and leaves Apple a little vulnerable if TSMC can't deliver.  Hate Samsung all you want but they deliver.  I think Apple found a pretty good balance- their knee jerk was probably to get rid of Samsung sooner, but if they get rid of Samsung at the expense of shooting off their own foot its not worth it.

I don't think Apple does "knee jerk". While we like to think Apple is getting some sort of revenge on Samsung, I think this is just Apple diversifying its supply lines. Tim Cook seems to be very calculating, not one to be reactive. Everything he says and does is seems well thought out, never "off the cuff". Business is business.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    spicedspiced Posts: 98member
    Now SS will never know the exact quantity making them blind to iDevices roll out...out goes their competitive intelligence!
  • Reply 16 of 51
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

There are probably lots of reasons but I know one very good one.  

Deals like this take years to set up and at the time they started talking to TSMC … intel was still playing the "iPhone isn't so great and Atom will whoop your ass," game.  

Very recently, intel has been making noises like they would like to be Apple's sole supplier and also that they might move into mass production of ARM chips, but for the most part, and for most of recent history they have been hoping the mobile revolution will just go away and Windows will become dominant again.  

• Reply 17 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Questions are really never stupid and this one is far from stupid. You have already gotten some good answers but I will add my perspective.

Why not Intel. Simple Intel is all about high margin devices. They do do foundry work for some really high end stuff but have not attempted to do low margins stuff like Apples processors. Frankly it would hurt Intels bottom line unless there is a more significant shrinkage in i86 demand. In a nut shell the costs of the chips would likely be high.

Why not AMD. That is even simpler, AMD has no production capacity. They spun off their manufacturing capacity into a firm called Global Foundries. Every AMD chip you buy these days is made either by Global Foundries or TSMC.

So you may ask why not Global Foundries. That is a more complex question to answer. First for a long time GF and or AMDs foundries stressed performance in their processes over low power. That is changing with the very heavy emphasis on low power these days. The other thing is that GF has been slow to spin up new processes. GF has been so slow that they had to go to TSMC to get chips built in the latest nodes. Things are changing at GF so maybe they might be a player in the future.

As for other US companies, not many offer foundry services. You also get into issues of packaging services and whom will be handling the stacked chip solutions. So even if a US based foundry could priduce the chips Apple wants there is nothing to say they have the technology to assemble the final product. By the way Samsungs factory use to be US owned from what I understand. In any event why the big concern? If you market a product world wide shouldn't you produce that product world wide? It isn't like you can go to Detroit or Chicago and set up a semiconductor plant and have a viable workforce to support it. You need a local with the right workforce and local support infrastructure.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Good. Time to stop giving money to the Samscums.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Samsungs products are no more rock solid than the engineering Apple puts into them. Like it or not TSMC has a good reputation that few can rival in the foundry business. AMD even had to resort to TSMC when Global Foundries couldn't deliver.
    colper wrote: »
    Personally, I would prefer to have Apple's insides made by Samsung (if it can't be Apple/amd/intel) I know most people on here think of them as the devil, but they make solid products.
    Unlike many here I don't think this about what many think it is. That is this isn't revenge against Samsung. Rather it is most likely recognition that TMSC has made some significant gains with the new processes and actually appears to be the leader amongst foundries operating on sub 32nm nodes.
    The macs your using now, which we all grown to love have Samsung inside. I think the future quality of Apple products shows some signs of concern...

I see no justification for that. Apple has yet to stop using Samsung to manufacture flash drives for example. Over all Apples devices use a large number of semiconductor suppliers to say that Samsung is that much better than all of the rest is a bit of a stretch.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    khitkhit Posts: 7member
    TSMC is the best chipmaker here in Taiwan. The #1 company here. Apple have the quality standard in building chip & I think TSMC meet the quality standard of Apple. Its time to keep away from Shamesung. A lot of premium company to takeover what Shamesung is doing for Apple. Apple is visionary company, they know what is best. From there new ad Designed by Apple in California "there are thousands of no's in every Yes" I think TSMC is one of the yes! Go Apple I will always support your vision!