More pictures of purported 'iPhone Lite' shell surface with new blue color

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    ingela wrote: »
    If Apple did keep making the iPhone 5 and sold it at a discount when the 5s is released, then Tim Cook does deserve to be fired and Apple would face certain extinction.

Welcome to Ludicrousnonsenseville. Population: you and roughly 20 other users here.
    The Aluminum case 5 is done and for good reason.

What late night brain cell destroying binge did you go on that makes you think that?
  • Reply 142 of 159
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I hope you're not disappointed that the 5S will have the exact same aluminum case

Of course not. It is a certainty. I Iove the aluminum case. But it is also a certainty the aluminum 5 is gone after the 5s hits.

• Reply 143 of 159
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Welcome to Ludicrousnonsenseville. Population: you and roughly 20 other users here.

What late night brain cell destroying binge did you go on that makes you think that?

First of all, I see you troll here and on 9to5 mac quite a bit, ..question, have you ever been correct about ANYTHING? Brain cell count, that's something you should spend more time on however many you have left. Make inventory and learn to chill.

• Reply 144 of 159
    appwikiappwiki Posts: 1member

Looks like the iPhordable alright.......... totally makes sense as they are trying to get more marketshare in china..... that is the next big market to conquer.... usa sales are important, but only until china takes off.

• Reply 145 of 159
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Of course not. It is a certainty. I Iove the aluminum case. But it is also a certainty the aluminum 5 is gone after the 5s hits.

Nope. It would not make any sense.
  • Reply 146 of 159
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    First of all, I see you troll here and on 9to5 mac quite a bit,

Do you?

Know what trolling is, I mean.
    ..question, have you ever been correct about ANYTHING?

I can count four things of import about which I've been wrong. Everything else was near enough to dead on.
    Make inventory and learn to chill.

Just stop lying, please.
  • Reply 147 of 159

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

I don't get the bad reactions to these cases. They look fine, and will look better when you remove the protective plastic wrap which you see bubbling in the photo. Plenty of people like color, and many would prefer the less easily damaged plastic. These will be great for kids or careless adults. Premium materials will still be available in the flagship model.

My only comment is to recall a line from a movie referencing the color of a car: "I didn't know they made these in banana."

The reaction is negative because many of the big Apple supporters on this site said the following:

• Apple will NEVER use plastic; and

• Apple will NEVER sully their brand by putting out a budget phone

These people are angry because they are wrong yet again and people with big egos do not like to be publicly humiliated when they think they are SMEs when in fact they are nowhere close to being that.

• Reply 148 of 159
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

I don't get the bad reactions to these cases. They look fine, and will look better when you remove the protective plastic wrap which you see bubbling in the photo. Plenty of people like color, and many would prefer the less easily damaged plastic. These will be great for kids or careless adults. Premium materials will still be available in the flagship model.

My only comment is to recall a line from a movie referencing the color of a car: "I didn't know they made these in banana."

Human emotions are hard to rationalize. I'd say that plastic, or polycarbonate to be exact, scratches relatively easily too but the "damage" is less visible.

I'm more interested in what else differentiates the iPhone 5S and the rumored iPhone Lite. It can't just be a difference in material. Is the Lite going to be the iPhone 4S with a larger screen? Is it going to be iPod Touch with 3G or LTE chipset added?

• Reply 149 of 159
    technarchytechnarchy Posts: 296member
    stelligent wrote: »
    Is the Lite going to be the iPhone 4S with a larger screen? Is it going to be iPod Touch with 3G or LTE chipset added?

4S with LTE and 4" Retina (aka 5th Gen ipod touch) Maybe even a 5 in a new body. Neither would surprise me, with the latter being less likely.
  • Reply 150 of 159
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    stelligent wrote: »
    Human emotions are hard to rationalize. I'd say that plastic, or polycarbonate to be exact, scratches relatively easily too but the "damage" is less visible.

I'm more interested in what else differentiates the iPhone 5S and the rumored iPhone Lite. It can't just be a difference in material. Is the Lite going to be the iPhone 4S with a larger screen? Is it going to be iPod Touch with 3G or LTE chipset added?

If it has a retina display I would assume it would be an iPod touch with LTE.

A5
    5 megapixel camera
    8GB storage
    Colored aluminum body
    LTE
    $349
  • Reply 151 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Strange video posted here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/06/video-claims-to-show-budget-iphone/

It claims that this is what the budget phone will look like but there's an Android knock-off at the end built with a similar enclosure. If they can build an Android one, they can build the iPhone one too so maybe this is another one of those manufacturers that do custom back cases.

The colors do look similar to the iPod line:

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/

but it would be better if they used those metal casings. A budget iPhone only really needs to be an iPod Touch with a sim card. That may involve a bigger battery but as little extra cost as possible. The iPod Touch is $299 so adding a sim card and bigger battery shouldn't be much more expensive. Of course there's the signal issue to consider and while the wifi goes out the plastic bit on the iPod, that may not be ok to do on the phone. If it works ok and gets approval, I'd rather they used the metal casing than go back to plastic. It would potentially leave a large price gap between low-end and high-end but it would be good if the high-end one dropped to $550.

That could even allow them to discontinue the iPod Touch line if they wanted. When it doesn't have a sim card, it just behaves like an iPod with a long battery life.
  • Reply 152 of 159
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

A budget iPhone only really needs to be an iPod Touch with a sim card. That may involve a bigger battery but as little extra cost as possible. 

An iPod touch would require much more than just a SIM card to become an iPhone.  At the least, it would need a broadband chip, RF power amps, RF filters, and a couple of antennas.  Plus SEP royalties.

If it was an GSM/CDMA/LTE compatible chipset, we're talking adding about $100 in costs.

Thus let's assume instead it will only be made for the plain GSM/UMTS world.  That helps a lot.  Since Apple doesn't do cross-licensing, but they'll benefit from having a lower priced unit for FRAND payments, about...

+$20 - GSM/UMTS chip, RF sections, antennas, SIM socket

+$20 - additional license fees to Qualcomm, Nokia, et al.  Maybe less.  Maybe more.

So, add maybe $40 in cellular costs.  Oh yeah, plus the bigger battery that you mentioned.  However, they could take off another $5 if using a plastic case, perhaps.  Easier to build, too.

That would bring a touch's BOM and license and manufacturing up to, oh say, about $180.  Since Apple likes making about 50% in gross margin, that puts the street price at $360.   Maybe they could drop the sapphire lens for the camera as well, do a lesser MP camera, drop the front camera, plus some other savings and/or take less margin.

• Reply 153 of 159
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »

That would bring a touch's BOM and license and manufacturing up to, oh say, about $180.  Since Apple likes making about 50% in gross margin, that puts the street price at $360.   Maybe they could drop the sapphire lens for the camera as well, do a lesser MP camera, drop the front camera, plus some other savings and/or take less margin.
    I think Apple can live with this price.
  • Reply 154 of 159
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Don't forget, the iPod touch has a cheaper screen, compared to the iPhone.
  • Reply 155 of 159
    philboogie wrote: »

I don't think it does anymore. I could be wrong but Apple brought the iPod touches screen up to iPhone levels with IPS last year.
  • Reply 156 of 159
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    blackbook wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

I don't think it does anymore. I could be wrong but Apple brought the iPod touches screen up to iPhone levels with IPS last year.

Didn't know that, thanks.
  • Reply 157 of 159
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Yep, you're right.  I just bought my daughter an iPod touch 5G a few weeks ago, and all the reviews say it has the same 4" IPS screen as the iPhone 5.

Or maybe not.  Ifixit's teardown said this:

"When comparing the Touch to the iPhone 5 display assembly, it's apparent that this is a much simpler, cheaper design, despite the two having very similar functionality."

Perhaps it's just thinner, since everything about the iPod touch 5G is incredibly thin.  But if it is less expensive, that's one more way to save costs on an equivalent looking but cheaper phone.

--

One neat feature it has, that I think should go on world iPhones, is its built-in pop-up loop holder.  Can be used to attach a strap, or charms.

• Reply 158 of 159
    kdarling wrote: »
    Yep, you're right.  I just bought my daughter an iPod touch 5G a few weeks ago, and all the reviews say it has the same 4" IPS screen as the iPhone 5.

Or maybe not.  Ifixit's teardown said this:

"When comparing the Touch to the iPhone 5 display assembly, it's apparent that this is a much simpler, cheaper design, despite the two having very similar functionality."

Perhaps it's just thinner, since everything about the iPod touch 5G is incredibly thin.  But if it is less expensive, that's one more way to save costs on an equivalent looking but cheaper phone.

--

One neat feature it has, that I think should go on world iPhones, is its built-in pop-up loop holder.  Can be used to attach a strap, or charms.

Very interesting.

I'm convinced the cheaper iPhone will be built with iPod touch components even if its not in the exact same aluminum case.

Using the iPod Touch as a base and using 8GB of flash storage for an entry level model should get the price down below $400 easy and I believe they could do that even with a primarily aluminum case.
  • Reply 159 of 159
    dwillydwilly Posts: 60member
    the cheap iphone will be a better phone then Samsung's plastic junk