Woman dies using a charging iPhone 5, Apple vows to aid in investigation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 108
    themacmanthemacman Posts: 151member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Actually there is nothing about a bathtub there, so if they did report that, they've since taken it down. 

The South China Morning Post is reporting that Apple is investigating reports that a Chinese flight attendant was fatally electrocuted when getting out of the bath to answer a call on her iPhone 5 while it was plugged into the charger.

Just grabbed it from 9to5mac
  • Reply 22 of 108
    longfanglongfang Posts: 456member
    Not that I am saying this is what happened here but a friend of mine had a new charger unit for his MBP which he purchased on Amazon. After discovering he kept getting small shocks from his MBP's case I checked it out. It turned out to be a cheap Chinese knock off and had zero earthing. Apple use a pretty sophisticated ground balancing technology in their chargers. I can imagine had the fake Apple charger he had, become wet from the outlet and no GFI in circuit, a potential major shock could have resulted. I am not sure the phone chargers work the same way as the MBP chargers.

I get micro shocks from my MacBook Pro as well. The charger that ships with it has 2 plugs for the wall socket portion, 1 with a cable extension and 1 without. The one without does not have the internal connection for earthing, which probably what allowed static build up I'm guessing.
  • Reply 23 of 108
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Every other report of this (9to5 Mac etc) Basically has this woman using a plugged in iPhone in the bathroom.

Seriously humanity, get a grip. Everything isn't a technical fault nor a reason for litigation. Sometimes people just make mistakes.
  • Reply 24 of 108
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

A typical USB outlet is rated at 5V. How is that lethal? I suspect the charger is a knockoff

• Reply 25 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    longfang wrote: »
    I get micro shocks from my MacBook Pro as well. The charger that ships with it has 2 plugs for the wall socket portion, 1 with a cable extension and 1 without. The one without does not have the internal connection for earthing, which probably what allowed static build up I'm guessing.

(Note this is a side discussion regarding MBP not iPhone charger) If you are in the USA (I cannot speak to other countries' designs) , the genuine Apple one has three metal prongs to plug into the wall outlet. If you disconnect the other end from the charger you will see there is also a metal latch knob on the charger which slides into a track on the cable end. The inside of the cable's latch tracks have metal strips. On the cheap knock off I saw the latch pin was plastic not metal. I am unclear what the second cable you refer to is?
  • Reply 26 of 108
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    andreid wrote: »
    Was the charger original ?

Was any of it? China is a big area for knockoffs. Who knows if it was even in actual iPhone and not a knockoff or a Frankenstein.

I suspect like the burning phone in Austrailia it will turn out that the charger, if not the iPhone are knockoffs.
  • Reply 27 of 108
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Wouldn't the cable going to the iPhone only be carrying a standard 5V USB charge? No one is going to die from a 5V at ~1A.

If the cable and wall plug are legit apple stuff sure.

But if one of them is third party who knows
  • Reply 28 of 108
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    A typical USB outlet is rated at 5V. How is that lethal? I suspect the charger is a knockoff

The current isn't limited to traveling along the USB cable if there is sufficient water involved. It could be a knock off as you say, or a dead short (pardon the pun) from the outlet to the bath tub via the poor lady. We will have to wait and hear from the investigators.
  • Reply 29 of 108
    Water & electricity do not mix and are deadly, this has been passed down for generations in my family
  • Reply 30 of 108
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    We will have to wait and hear from the investigators.

The Chinese state has already been caught lying about Apple in the past, so nobody can trust their conclusions, and Apple needs to be given full access to all of the evidence and the phone and charger, otherwise this whole thing is just bs.
  • Reply 31 of 108
    Mysterious China.
    Where nothing is what it seems.

Ml
  • Reply 32 of 108
    Water & electricity do not mix and are deadly, this has been passed down for generations in my family

They mix too well! That's the problem.
  • Reply 33 of 108
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

The current isn't limited to traveling along the USB cable if there is sufficient water involved. It could be a knock off as you say, or a dead short (pardon the pun) from the outlet to the bath tub via the poor lady. We will have to wait and hear from the investigators.

In these situations the simplest explanations are generally the most likely - such as the charger falling into the water while she was still in electrical contact with it. It seems very unlikely that an iPhone could continue to be functional if any of its electrical inputs were raised to a lethal voltage.

• Reply 34 of 108
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    The headline should have read, "Sexy stewardess found dead and naked clutching an iPhone to her ample bosoms." Instead, they have to implicate Apple in some wrongful death lawsuit. Apple always gets a bad rap for everything. That could happen to anyone grabbing some charging device no matter who the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure those risks are stated in the manuals when you buy those charging products.
  • Reply 35 of 108
    Wonder if she uses not Apple branded charge adaptor and lightning cable .
  • Reply 36 of 108
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Well, she looked nice. That's all I can say.

• Reply 37 of 108
    Probably just the Chinese government badmouthing apple with their puppet media!
  • Reply 38 of 108
    The headline should have read, "Sexy stewardess found dead and naked clutching an iPhone to her ample bosoms." Instead, they have to implicate Apple in some wrongful death lawsuit. Apple always gets a bad rap for everything. That could happen to anyone grabbing some charging device no matter who the manufacturer. I'm pretty sure those risks are stated in the manuals when you buy those charging products.

It probably says just that in the supermarket check out stand rags.
  • Reply 39 of 108

. quote:

Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

This woman deserves a Darwin Award. She got out of the bath and got hold of an electric device plugged into the mains? Seriously? That's not a design flaw, it's an act of stupidity. An unfortunate accident definitely, and a sad loss for her friends and family, but no technological issue here, a biological one!

I  can understand where you are comming from,  it not your fault,  you were just born stupid.

• Reply 40 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenfingers View Post

Other sources say that it was the original charger and that she originated the call. She was not wet or in the bathtub from anything I read (not sure where you got that, unless you were joking).

BUT, this is china people. The place where they the government was intentionally trying to promote misinformation about apple through celebrities postings, etc. So I'm skeptical. Especially, considering there have been no other similar reports and the are millions of iphones in use. Of course, I'm sure some 'copy cat' problems will suddenly emerge.

Yes, Tenfingers—this absolutely reeks of bullshit. But this sort of crap is not exclusive to China.

AI forum followers: review the Wikipedia summary quoted below—a now widely known and infamous case of flagrant media abuse—and ask yourself: why 60 Minutes was not forever discredited and sued out of existence after it was proven they engineered a story which nearly destroyed Audi? The answer is so simple it may astound: people lie all the time—they love it.

Quote:

Audi 5000 unintended acceleration allegations:

Sales in the United States fell after a series of recalls from 1982 to 1987 of Audi 5000 models associated with reported incidents of sudden unintended acceleration linked to six deaths and 700 accidents At the time, NHTSA was investigating 50 car models from 20 manufacturers for sudden surges of power.

A 60 Minutes report aired 23 November 1986, featuring interviews with six people who had sued Audi after reporting unintended acceleration, showing an Audi 5000 ostensibly suffering a problem when the brake pedal was pushed. Subsequent investigation revealed that 60 Minutes had engineered the failure – fitting a canister of compressed air on the passenger-side floor, linked via a hose to a hole drilled into the transmission.