Woman dies using a charging iPhone 5, Apple vows to aid in investigation

Comments

• Reply 41 of 108
    sensi23sensi23 Posts: 1member
    themacman wrote: »
    The South China Morning Post is reporting that Apple is investigating reports that a Chinese flight attendant was fatally electrocuted when getting out of the bath to answer a call on her iPhone 5 while it was plugged into the charger.

Just grabbed it from 9to5mac
    postulant wrote: »
    I'm serious. 9to5 Mac is reporting it too.
    This is just another bogus/misleading/propagandist report by 9to5 Mac then, the South Morning China Post is absolutely NOT mentioning any bath or bathroom in their article...

"Apple to investigate reported iPhone 5 shock death"
    http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1282777/apple-investigate-reported-iphone-5-shock-death
  • Reply 42 of 108
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrzejls View Post

I  can understand where you are comming from,  it not your fault,  you were just born stupid.

???????????

• Reply 43 of 108
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    [B]Ms. Ma's iPhone 5, according to her family, was purchased in December and was still under warranty. The family told @Stewardess network that she had left a bath to answer a call.[/b]

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/07/15/apple-iphone-electrocuted-charging/
  • Reply 44 of 108
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Apple should definitely investigate instead of rely on either propaganda from the Chinese government or rumors from the Internet.
  • Reply 45 of 108
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

Yes, Tenfingers—this absolutely reeks of bullshit. But this sort of crap is not exclusive to China.

AI forum followers: review the Wikipedia summary quoted below—a now widely known and infamous case of flagrant media abuse—and ask yourself: why 60 Minutes was not forever discredited and sued out of existence after is it was proven they engineered a story which nearly destroyed Audi? The answer is so simple it may astound: people lie all the time—they love it.

As the fortunes of the big 3 US automakers fell around 2008, I watched the orchestrated bullshit campaign to try and destroy Toyota/Lexus. It didn't, of course. It only slowed Toyota, a company that is now stronger because of this planned sabotage.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a money grab in this case or if the Chinese gov will use this incident to further put the thumb screws to Apple.

• Reply 46 of 108
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The water was possibly conducting directly from the live pin in the wall then along the wet cable to her, bypassing the charger completely.

Could be a  reasonable explanation for this accident.

• Reply 47 of 108
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Don't be misled by her using the phone.  She has been plugging and unplugging the charger for many months.  If there is a leak she will experience it long time before.  Thus I believe there must be some other circumstances that led this electrocution if the news is really facts.  

• Reply 48 of 108
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,021member
    copeland wrote: »

Could be a  reasonable explanation for this accident.
    Doubtless is. But I doubt we'll ever get a definitive answer. The chain of evidence will have been hopelessly compromised in a society as closed as China's. They may not even recognize chain of custody as a legal concept.
  • Reply 49 of 108
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    100% BS, someone looking for a quick pay day...
  • Reply 50 of 108
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    This sounds like total BS just like most (all?) of the exploding cell phone stories.
  • Reply 51 of 108
    Nope, does not make sense.

I was quite expecting to read that it had come from an explosion caused by using an extended external battery case. That would make 'more of a case', but a 3rd party one obviously.
  • Reply 52 of 108
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

On the surface this is pretty much impossible--- USB operates at 5 volts, and you can't kill someone with 5 volts.  Not enough to overcome skin resistance.

Therefore, if this happened, it was most likely due to a cheap chinese charger or some other hack that was done that was profoundly unsafe.

One thing is pretty much for sure-- whatever killed this woman was not made by Apple!

• Reply 53 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    sensi23 wrote: »

This is just another bogus/misleading/propagandist report by 9to5 Mac then, the South Morning China Post is absolutely NOT mentioning any bath or bathroom in their article...

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1282777/apple-investigate-reported-iphone-5-shock-death

Thanks, then my initial comment on this thread stands.

... this from the report you link to is all that need be said then:

"But we do not know the circumstances of the incident and it is not suitable to jump to any conclusions at this stage," he said.
  • Reply 54 of 108
    sensi23 wrote: »

Oh yeah? Well take a look at my link then, from fortune/cnn. They mention the woman getting out of a bath.
  • Reply 55 of 108
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The Chinese state has already been caught lying about Apple .....

So has the US state.

But I suppose the difference might be -- not sure -- that a US judge agreed with the state....

• Reply 56 of 108
    So has the US state.

But I suppose the difference might be -- not sure -- that a US judge agreed with the state....

Are you thinking about the DOJ case? If yes, then i agree.
  • Reply 57 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Are you thinking about the DOJ case?

Yes.

The notion of a 'lying state' is a redundancy...... China or otherwise. They all do it 'for the people.'

• Reply 58 of 108

Is that her real name? /s

• Reply 59 of 108
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

On the surface this is pretty much impossible--- USB operates at 5 volts, and you can't kill someone with 5 volts.  Not enough to overcome skin resistance.

Therefore, if this happened, it was most likely due to a cheap chinese charger or some other hack that was done that was profoundly unsafe.

One thing is pretty much for sure-- whatever killed this woman was not made by Apple!

Ummm.  It doesn't matter what the voltage is.  It's the current (Amperage) that usually causes fatalities.  A common personal GGCI is rated to trip at 10ma because 20ma is enough to cause fibrillation which can result in death.  It has nothing to do with the part being a "cheap knockoff" if the conditions were right.

The human body can actually withstand Kilovolts of electricity as long as the amperage and conditions are optimal.

My favorite job.

• Reply 60 of 108
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Where is the evidence to back this sh** up.
    Sounds like some bs to me. It reminds me of the stories that came out a few years ago about people not being able to read from the iPad's screen. Some said that reading from the iPad's screen was damaging to their eyes. Um, but reading from natural sun light with all that uv sh** wouldn't? LOL!
    Again,pseudo pycho babble was used to try and discredit Apple's stuff.