Woman dies using a charging iPhone 5, Apple vows to aid in investigation

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    ktappektappe Posts: 824member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacManFelix View Post

Yes, Tenfingers—this absolutely reeks of bullshit. But this sort of crap is not exclusive to China.

AI forum followers: review the Wikipedia summary quoted below—a now widely known and infamous case of flagrant media abuse—and ask yourself: why 60 Minutes was not forever discredited and sued out of existence after is it was proven they engineered a story which nearly destroyed Audi? The answer is so simple it may astound: people lie all the time—they love it.

The reason 60 Minutes didn't get 'sued out of existence' is because they didn't do what you and Wikipedia claim they did. They did not engineer a sudden acceleration incident. All they did was set an Audi to shift into drive by remote control. That is ALL.  They admittedly did something silly and did not prove anything in doing so, but they also did not "rig" an incident. And that is why Audi had nothing to sue them about. They did something bizarre and irrelevant, not something illegal or misleading. Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/the-best-of-ttac-the-audi-5000-intended-unintended-acceleration-debacle/

• Reply 62 of 108
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

Was the charger original ?

There is a lot of questions regarding this incident indeed. On top of that one is what is the power surge protection of the switchbox. We have very strict norms in North America that may not apply in China. Also, in north america, we only used 220 volts when its really needed, not everywhere in the house.

• Reply 63 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vadania View Post

Ummm.  It doesn't matter what the voltage is.  It's the current (Amperage) that usually causes fatalities.  A common personal GGCI is rated to trip at 10ma because 20ma is enough to cause fibrillation which can result in death.  It has nothing to do with the part being a "cheap knockoff" if the conditions were right.

The human body can actually withstand Kilovolts of electricity as long as the amperage and conditions are optimal.

My favorite job.

Ummm…this post shows a complete lack of understanding concerning the relationship between voltage/amperage/electrical resistance etc—a lack of understanding that nearly every juror would share. For example: what would happen to a person who touched the positive terminal of a 12v / 850amp car battery to his left hand and touched the negative terminal to his right hand while standing in salt-water up to his knees? Answer: absolutely nothing. Do the same thing with 120v direct current and you’re dead.

Voltage has absolutely everything to do with overcoming electrical resistance.

• Reply 64 of 108
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreiD View Post

Was the charger original ?

There is a lot of questions regarding this incident indeed. On top of that one is what is the power surge protection of the switchbox. We have very strict norms in North America that may not apply in China. Also, in north america, we only used 220 volts when its really needed, not everywhere in the house.

It really doesn't matter whether it was 110 V or 220 V. 110 V is high enough to drive lethal currents. And what is going to have surge protection (which suppresses voltage, not power) at the 20 mA level? A GFCI will give you ground fault protection at that current, but that is a separate issue.

Edit: I meant mA, not mV.

• Reply 65 of 108
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,656member

Quote:

Originally Posted by copeland View Post

But when she grabs the phone and not the charger all she can touch are ~5V (USB voltage).

That shouldn't even be enough for a tingle on the skin (even when dripping wet).

On the other hand if the charger was broken and supplied 110V AC (220V AC?) the phone should have been fried already?

Besides the tragedy for the family I have got some skepticism on the report.

I totally agree.   All such devices are low voltage devices that draw very little current.    The only way you're getting electrocuted is if the mains is somehow shorted to a metal part of the phone, but if that's the case, as you say, the phone should have been fried.

Think about it:   you can put your fingers across the battery terminals and not feel anything. In fact, you can put your fingers across the connectors charging the battery and not feel anything, although they recently changed regulations in Japan so that on camera battery chargers (and I assume other devices), users can no longer easily have access to those terminals.   Nikon recently had to change their charger design to accommodate this.   

Assuming the story is true at all, I'm wondering if she didn't get electrocuted while plugging the charger into the wall, especially if there's any truth to some posters'  claims that she was wet at the time.   It's easy to get a shock if you're plugging something into an outlet that you can't see and have a finger resting against a prong while your'e plugging it in.  

Although, if one is not wet and the contact is momentary, while getting a 110v shock is uncomfortable, you can easily survive it.   I've been shocked by an outlet a number of times over the years.   Not so sure about 220v, which is used in China, although from a device standpoint, a higher voltage device will draw a smaller current, since the overall power consumption is the same and P=EI  (voltage * current).  

I must confess though that I feel more comfortable with devices that have have 3-prong plugs, which have an isolated ground on circuits (at least in the U.S.) that meet current building codes.  

• Reply 66 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It really doesn't matter whether it was 110 V or 220 V. 110 V is high enough to drive lethal currents. And what is going to have surge protection (which suppresses voltage, not power) at the 20 mV level? A GFCI will give you ground fault protection at that current, but that is a separate issue.

Well I didnt know the women ran out of bath to the charging iphone when I post this. But otherwise, switchbox protection could have been relevant in a situation where the external powergrid spiked. I also want to point out that in some countries people bybass fuses or swtichbox and just directly wired.   

• Reply 67 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

The reason 60 Minutes didn't get 'sued out of existence' is because they didn't do what you and Wikipedia claim they did. They did not engineer a sudden acceleration incident. All they did was set an Audi to shift into drive by remote control. That is ALL.  They admittedly did something silly and did not prove anything in doing so, but they also did not "rig" an incident. And that is why Audi had nothing to sue them about. They did something bizarre and irrelevant, not something illegal or misleading. Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/the-best-of-ttac-the-audi-5000-intended-unintended-acceleration-debacle/

Actually, 60 Minutes did exactly what I and Wikipedia “claim” they did: they rigged an Audi to shift itself into drive by remote control. They then conveniently left that information out of their “report” while representing a fabricated film as proof that Audi’s could and did accelerate on their own. I have viewed their report recently: it is deceptive, deliberately misleading, dishonest journalism.

Thanks for the link though!—I’m linking it again since it is even more damning of the media system of orchestrated abuse and more supportive of my point than the Wikipedia link I originally quoted!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/the-best-of-ttac-the-audi-5000-intended-unintended-acceleration-debacle/

• Reply 68 of 108

Quote:

Quote:

Ummm.  It doesn't matter what the voltage is.  It's the current (Amperage) that usually causes fatalities.  A common personal GGCI is rated to trip at 10ma because 20ma is enough to cause fibrillation which can result in death.  It has nothing to do with the part being a "cheap knockoff" if the conditions were right.

The human body can actually withstand Kilovolts of electricity as long as the amperage and conditions are optimal.

My favorite job.

Ummm…this post shows a complete lack of understanding concerning the relationship between voltage/amperage/electrical resistance etc—a lack of understanding that nearly every juror would share. For example: what would happen to a person who touched the positive terminal of a 12v / 850amp car battery to his left hand and touched the negative terminal to his right hand while standing in salt-water up to his knees? Answer: absolutely nothing. Do the same thing with 120v direct current and you’re dead.

But that is more because the voltage source is not grounded in that example than because the voltage is not high enough.  While 12 V from a lead acid battery is more likely to injure by arc flash than by current through the body, in a wet environment the hand-to-hand resistance can drop as low as 1 k?, which would lead to around 12 mA, which would certainly be noticeable.

• Reply 69 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I totally agree.   All such devices are low voltage devices that draw very little current.    The only way you're getting electrocuted is if the mains is somehow shorted to a metal part of the phone, but if that's the case, as you say, the phone should have been fried.

Think about it:   you can put your fingers across the battery terminals and not feel anything. In fact, you can put your fingers across the connectors charging the battery and not feel anything, although they recently changed regulations in Japan so that on camera battery chargers (and I assume other devices), users can no longer easily have access to those terminals.   Nikon recently had to change their charger design to accommodate this.   

Assuming the story is true at all, I'm wondering if she didn't get electrocuted while plugging the charger into the wall, especially if there's any truth to some posters'  claims that she was wet at the time.   It's easy to get a shock if you're plugging something into an outlet that you can't see and have a finger resting against a prong while your'e plugging it in.  

Although, if one is not wet and the contact is momentary, while getting a 110v shock is uncomfortable, you can easily survive it.   I've been shocked by an outlet a number of times over the years.   Not so sure about 220v, which is used in China, although from a device standpoint, a higher voltage device will draw a smaller current, since the overall power consumption is the same and P=EI  (voltage * current).  

I must confess though that I feel more comfortable with devices that have have 3-prong plugs, which have an isolated ground on circuits (at least in the U.S.) that meet current building codes.  

she could have step with her wet feets on a extension cord where the charger was plug in.  Who knows what happens. The problem may be so many things.

• Reply 70 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

It really doesn't matter whether it was 110 V or 220 V. 110 V is high enough to drive lethal currents. And what is going to have surge protection (which suppresses voltage, not power) at the 20 mV level? A GFCI will give you ground fault protection at that current, but that is a separate issue.

Well I didnt know the women ran out of bath to the charging iphone when I post this. But otherwise, switchbox protection could have been relevant in a situation where the external powergrid spiked. I also want to point out that in some countries people bybass fuses or swtichbox and just directly wired.   

OK. But voltage surge protection is not a requirement anywhere that I know of, and certainly not common in residential installations. And installation circuit breakers or fuses are of no help protecting against ungrounded live fault conditions.

• Reply 71 of 108
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

Quote:

Whoa Mr. Felix man!  Thanks for the personal attack!

I just made a quick valid point.  If you want I'll supply all of the math.  I did say if conditions were right didn't I?

In your situation you don't even need to be standing in a bucket of water.  The human body (while dry only) has a resistance of about 1 million ohms.  That's actually the reason you can grab those two terminals without being shocked.  Try wetting both your hands and then grabbing the terminals...

Voltage outright will not kill you.  You need the current to inflict damage to your body through burns or even just enough to stop your heart.  Yes you do need enough voltage to overcome the electrical resistance of the body but depending on the conditions it can actually be very low.

Thanks again DB!

• Reply 72 of 108
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    You can't die from a 5 volt shock. The iPhone would have burned up if any more voltage like coming from the wall was put through the phone. The phone would not have rang because the phone would have already burned up with an overload. Something else caused her death while she happened to be holding an iPhone is my guess. Chinese media of course would love to blame an Apple product for her death so I have a feeling there is more to this story than what the Chinese are telling us.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Yes, Tenfingers—this absolutely reeks of bullshit. But this sort of crap is not exclusive to China.

AI forum followers: review the Wikipedia summary quoted below—a now widely known and infamous case of flagrant media abuse—and ask yourself: why 60 Minutes was not forever discredited and sued out of existence after it was proven they engineered a story which nearly destroyed Audi? The answer is so simple it may astound: people lie all the time—they love it.

And who can forget the model rocket engines used by Dateline to ignite the Chevy C/K series of trucks...

• Reply 74 of 108
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

AI forum followers: review the Wikipedia summary quoted below—a now widely known and infamous case of flagrant media abuse—and ask yourself: why 60 Minutes was not forever discredited and sued out of existence after it was proven they engineered a story which nearly destroyed Audi? The answer is so simple it may astound: people lie all the time—they love it.

The media has a fundamental problem that it does not realize.  Journalism requires a reporter to report nothing but facts.  But the fact is to report nothing but facts sometimes require a very good knowledge of the case.  But most trained journalists just have superficial knowledge of various disciplines.  Thus they are pretty easy to become victims of some people who have some agenda.  They will try to feed the reporter with distorted, exaggerated, or worse false facts.  The reporter may not be able to discern it.  But over all I think western journalists score a little better in this matter.  Although I would not give them a A.

• Reply 75 of 108
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

In your situation you don't even need to be standing in a bucket of water.  The human body (while dry only) has a resistance of about 1 million ohms.  That's actually the reason you can grab those two terminals without being shocked.  Try wetting both your hands and then grabbing the terminals...

I =V/R.

By wetting both hands you've reduced resistance. Voltage remains constant so current increases.

Your example indicates that higher current IS the relevant factor, not power.

• Reply 76 of 108
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

(Note this is a side discussion regarding MBP not iPhone charger) If you are in the USA (I cannot speak to other countries' designs) , the genuine Apple one has three metal prongs to plug into the wall outlet. If you disconnect the other end from the charger you will see there is also a metal latch knob on the charger which slides into a track on the cable end. The inside of the cable's latch tracks have metal strips. On the cheap knock off I saw the latch pin was plastic not metal. I am unclear what the second cable you refer to is?

You can attach either the cable-with-plug you described or a plug with no cable. The latter has only two blades, no ground pin.

• Reply 77 of 108
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Condolence to the family...
    Fortunately nothing like this happened to iphone4 owners.
  • Reply 78 of 108
    A residual-current breaker would have prevented this. Or Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI), as I belive are called in US/Canada.
    Using any device o appliance connected to mains without any of those is like driving a car with no brakes: a disaster waiting to happen
    Sorry for the poor girl.
  • Reply 79 of 108
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I heard she was getting out of the bath to answer a phone call from Santa Claus and the reason she was in the bath was because she was getting ready to go out on a date with the sasquatch. The tooth fairy told me and now it's here in black and white so it must all be true, certainly as true as the original story of a girl dying.

C'mon China, your propaganda is very poorly executed.

• Reply 80 of 108
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    Mind you, Apple's recent iPhone commercial shows a person reaching out from their shower to answer their iPhone :(