Woman dies using a charging iPhone 5, Apple vows to aid in investigation

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 108
    sguyxsguyx Posts: 2member
    also earlier on this spring, an iphone 5 charger exploded and almost burnt the house http://www.iltalehti.fi/digi/2013032016805849_du.shtml person was in sleep while the charger exploded. lucky he woke up because of the noise of the explosition.
  • Reply 102 of 108
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm surprised you guys hadn't heard about the young girl who received 2nd and 3rd degree burns from a exploding Samsung S3 phone here in Switzerland last week.

Maybe it's time for all of us to start carrying one of these with us;

That's why airlines and the TSA are getting antsier and antsier about rechargable lithium ion batteries...

• Reply 103 of 108
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

So my local station has been running this headline like every hour today, unbelievable. 

IPHONE 5 ELECTROCUTES OWNER, LITTLE DID SHE KNOW IT WOULD BE HER LAST CALL,and other such sensational quips, and then the video goes on to fear-monger and give "tips" so as to not let your iPhone kill you.  Pretty disgusting how easily Apple gets negative PR. 

• Reply 104 of 108
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    That's why airlines and the TSA are getting antsier and antsier about rechargable lithium ion batteries...

I hope someone eventually finds a material that allows capacitors to have similar energy density as lithium-ion. Then the stored energy wouldn't involve a chemical reaction:

http://gigaom.com/2011/03/16/tesla-ceo-id-bet-on-capacitors-over-batteries/

Much more charge cycles and safer. The only thing lacking is energy density but they should be able to sort that out with the right material:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/nanoclast/semiconductors/nanotechnology/a-new-nanorod-capacitor-has-high-energy-and-high-power-density
  • Reply 105 of 108
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I hope someone eventually finds a material that allows capacitors to have similar energy density as lithium-ion. Then the stored energy wouldn't involve a chemical reaction:

But when you push too much juice into a capacitor it explodes like a firecracker. The bigger the capacitor, the bigger the boom. A capacitor big enough to act as a battery for a smartphone would have enough explosive power to blow off fingers and rip flesh from limbs.

I think I'd rather take my chances with a burning Li-Ion cell than an exploding capacitor. The former is progressive, providing at least a limited opportunity to mitigate the harm. An explosion is over before you can do anything about it.

• Reply 106 of 108
    cosinacosina Posts: 2member
    Just read the news this morning and its clear that the cause of death was not the result of a fault in Apple's product but because she was using an iPhone charger that was a copy and not original.
  • Reply 107 of 108

It looks like another rumor site is reporting that it was a knock-off charger. Also, it was an iPhone 4.

They said the phone still works!?! Wouldn't that mean that the shock didn't go through the phone? I would guess so...

• Reply 108 of 108

Apple presenting new i-phone it was truly amaze many new moderately rebuilt and lot,s of feature are added.

Hot Tub