Samsung Electronics has not dethroned Apple, Inc. in mobile profits

Comments

• Reply 41 of 140
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Basically you want Apple to have hired SEAL team 6 to kill off Samsung's executives and engineers. That's really all they could have done other than what they did.

What a script. Actually it would be ex-SEALs, hired by C. Odo to pull off the caper. Better say "take hostage" rather than k**l, because those chaebol guys have no sense of humor. Neither does the N*A.

He and the SEALS force them to make a 13-inch phone, whereupon pants start falling down through all the 'hoods across the country. Verizon stores are stormed, etc. etc.
  • Reply 42 of 140
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Good job keeping them honest. The numbers speak for themselves: the original article was clearly wrong.
  • Reply 43 of 140

I have not read anything other than the headline.

Just want to say that it is all about Wall Street Game! 

It is about time and Apple will rip the faces of naysayers :)

• Reply 44 of 140
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    But these Samsung phones break easily, causing an increase in their numbers ¡
  • Reply 45 of 140
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    eponymous wrote: »
    All of the companies in the report you linked to above are mobile phone companies:... Sony Ericsson.

Relatively easy to see how much they're making because phones are all they make.

SonyEricsson no longer exists, Sony make phones, Ericsson make network equipment.
  • Reply 46 of 140
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    philboogie wrote: »

You can say a lot about Samsung but their phones don't break easily. When I had my Samsung Note I must have dropped it about a half a dozen times without so much as a scratch. My daughter has had to replace her iPhone three times already due to cracked screens. I'm not saying the iPhone aren't well built either I'm just stating what I have personally witnessed. In fact during my daughters birthday party in June I noticed that more then a quarter of the girls iPhone's all had cracks in them, this is probably just kids being kids but it was still an alarming number. There was about 60 kids in my house, which come to think about it, the amazing part is that none of them left my house without a crack, teenage girls :grumble:. My poor dog didn't leave his little house for three days after that ordeal.

• Reply 47 of 140
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Nonsense. You didn't say "Motorola Mobility". You said "Motorola" - which makes an enormous range of products.
    No because I assumed they meant MM.
  • Reply 48 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,383member
    Nonsense. You didn't say "Motorola Mobility". You said "Motorola" - which makes an enormous range of products.

Nonsense would be anyone assuming that this discussion on smartphones would be including Motorola rather than Motorola Mobility. :rolleyes: You're being excessively petty since the implied company was clear.
  • Reply 49 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Nonsense would be anyone assuming that this discussion on smartphones would be including Motorola rather than Motorola Mobility. :rolleyes: You're being excessively petty since the implied company was clear.

Sorry, when people get facts wrong, they need to be corrected. They also included a non-existient company (Sony-Ericsson) in their list. If someone wants to make a point, they should do it with facts, not made up nonsense. If they're wrong, I can correct them.

Besides, even if you consider only Motorola Mobility, he's still wrong. Motorola Mobility makes a lot more than phones:
    - weather radios
    - set top boxes
    - fitness devices
    - baby monitors
    - corded and cordless phones
    - modems and gateways

No matter how you slice it, his statement was wrong.
  • Reply 50 of 140

Quote:

Basically you want Apple to have hired SEAL team 6 to kill off Samsung's executives and engineers. That's really all they could have done other than what they did.

Of course they could. They could have put out a midprice and/or low price option to blunt the entry of Samsung (and others) into the marketplace. Allowing them in does more than just siphon profits, it allows Samsung (in this case) to devote profits to chipset design, display panel improvements, other internal features (NFC, etc.) and it creates a wealth of opportunities in the retail chain, giving incentive for vendors to open stores, kiosks, and for carriers (with hidden rebates) to push Samsung models over Apple's.

Yes, that means some models with fewer features (like the iPod nano vs original iPod, or the MacBook with a plastic case vs the MacBook Pro) at lower price points, but it's a very large segment of the market which Apple has simply GIVEN AWAY by not competing in it. The reason for their dominance in iPods was because they brought out models to cover every budget. With iPhones (and now iPads) they have, for some bizarre reason, chosen to serve only the high end. Well, you can be Mercedes if you want, but you are not going to have the profits of Ford, and eventually you are going to be a niche provider.

• Reply 51 of 140
    Sorry, when people get facts wrong, they need to be corrected. They also included a non-existient company (Sony-Ericsson) in their list. If someone wants to make a point, they should do it with facts, not made up nonsense. If they're wrong, I can correct them.

Besides, even if you consider only Motorola Mobility, he's still wrong. Motorola Mobility makes a lot more than phones:
    - weather radios
    - set top boxes
    - fitness devices
    - baby monitors
    - modems and gateways

No matter how you slice it, his statement was wrong.

Your statement is wrong too. Google announced the sale of it's Motorola Mobility Home Division, which included the set-top boxes you refer to, last December for a bit more than $2B. It may also have included the baby monitors. land-line phones and modems but I've not bothered to verify that. I know you appreciate the correction since that's what you want all of us to do, politely of course.

If you're scrambling to prove you're still right since the sale hasn't close yet, I'll save you the time and effort. The sale was completed in April.
  • Reply 52 of 140

Oh, I see the confusion here;

Quote:

Strategy Analytics had to compare Samsung's entire PC and device business with only half of Apple's.Strategy Analytics had to compare Samsung's entire PC and device business with only half of Apple's.

Strategy Analytics got their figures by comparing them TWICE!

• Reply 53 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Your statement is wrong too. Google announced the sale of it's Motorola Mobility Home Division, which included the set-top boxes you refer to, last December for a bit more than $2B. It may also have included the baby monitors. land-line phones and modems but I've not bothered to verify that. I know you appreciate the correction since that's what you want all of us to do, politely of course.

If you're scrambling to prove you're still right since the sale hasn't close yet, I'll save you the time and effort. The sale was completed in April.

Go to the Motorola Mobility site - they still list all those other products (baby monitors, set top boxes, cable modems, etc) on their site.

Furthermore, what in the world does that have to do with the analysis that people are trying to do based on HISTORICAL numbers?
  • Reply 54 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't know the exact argument here being discussed, but I noticed this list;

Quote:

- weather radios

- set top boxes

- fitness devices

- baby monitors

- modems and gateways

Weather radios and baby monitors? Other than set top boxes (which is iffy) and, well really nothing on that list anymore - - this doesn't seem like a thriving growth industry to be in.

Now a cordless buggy whip -- that has potential!

• Reply 55 of 140

Note that Google cancelled its ambitious "Android TV" and went with the less exciting "ChromeTV" and likely they are selling it at a loss for $35.

If they are selling off Motorola Mobility and it's crown jewel is "set top boxes" -- it's clear that Google is looking at companies like Apple making the next generation of Smart TV devices (standalone, rather than coupled with the display) as the future.

They haven't gone out and said; "Apple will own the smart TV business" -- but all their actions show they have read the tea leaves and realize they can't compete at the top and there is no future growth in Motorola Mobility.

My apologies to anyone who has bought this lemon, but I bought a bunch of stock a long time ago in Lucent -- I feel your pain.

• Reply 56 of 140

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

I am not a fan of these Market Research Firms or Consulting Firms. They regulalry misguide general people and their customers alike. It's a shame people refuse to think themselves and outsource that to other who are clearly incompetent.

I always thought Gartner is the prime culprit. Look here (http://www.zdnet.com/why-does-the-it-industry-continue-to-listen-to-gartner-7000001394/). The conclusion is a classic: In early 2009, Gartner projects “sharpest unit decline in history.” At the end of the year, it reports “strongest growth rate in seven years.”

Now, it seems Strategy Analytics is fighting for the crown.

LOL. I agree with you.

I believe it used to be called "Gartner Group" -- but then his dog died, and it's hard to group one dude on a laptop. He gives the best industry opinions you can buy, and his rates are reasonable if you want him to change his mind.

• Reply 57 of 140
    Go to the Motorola Mobility site - they still list all those other products (baby monitors, set top boxes, cable modems, etc) on their site.

Furthermore, what in the world does that have to do with the analysis that people are trying to do based on HISTORICAL numbers?

Sorry. I thought you suggested that when posters get their facts wrong it should be pointed out. So this is the way you respond to a correction then? I usually offer a thank you, and a touch of humility.
  • Reply 58 of 140
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

Actually, they don't if you consider the right Motorola.

From Wikipedia: "On February 11, 2010, Motorola announced its separation into two independent, publicly traded companies, effective Q1 2011. The official split occurred at around 12:00 pm EST on January 4, 2011. The two new companies are called Motorola Mobility (owned by Google; cell phone and cable television equipment company) and Motorola Solutions (NYSEMSI; Government and Enterprise Business)."

And if you think Motorola's Set Top Box business is significant: "On April 17, ARRIS Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: ARRS) announced that it completed its acquisition of the Motorola Home business from a subsidiary of Google Inc."

So, now Motorola Mobility is selling cellphones only. And not making a lot of them either:)

Let me narrow down your quote now....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsun Zu View Post

Motorola Mobility (owned by Google
    ; cell phone and cable television equipment company)

So, now Motorola Mobility is selling cellphones only. And not making a lot of them either:)

WHAT? THIS MAKES NO SENSE."

Please, PLEASE, If your going to say things, try to make them, well, understandable.

-QAMF

• Reply 59 of 140
    qamfqamf Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

They certainly don't... If anything, the most accident prone phones I have found based on my experience walking around is iPhone and iPod Touch break the most.  Well, the glass cracks.

I have had an iPhone 4 for about 3 years, and no problems.... It makes me wonder how people break them.... *sighs*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Sorry. I thought you suggested that when posters get their facts wrong it should be pointed out. So this is the way you respond to a correction then? I usually offer a thank you, and a touch of humility.

You obviously should have been able to read his mind and know what me meant.

DUH

/s

-QAMF

• Reply 60 of 140
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So, when the numbers look good for Apple, you're happy to declare that Apple takes the lion share of smartphone profits but now that they might look good for Samsung.... it's impossible to calculate anyone's profits accurately?

Funny stuff. image

Just let them bark for a while.  They are in the "denial" phase of the five stage of grief -- their grief will be manifestated in anger, depression, bargaining and acceptance as Samsung's rising profit triumphs Apple declining profit.  image  Apple 4Q is going to suffer further decline in anticipation of new product release in 1Q 2014.