Apple, Inc. gets its fingerprints on advanced touch sensor, appears difficult for Android to copy

Comments

• Reply 61 of 212
    nexusphannexusphan Posts: 260member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Yes now that's what I call a User friendly interface, put a 100 options and throw checkboxe's next to each one of them. Bravo you go on :) 

The top box 'notifications' you see there is the top and the build is the bottom. What world do you live in where 6 options and 2 'about' details is not user friendly?

Edit: Apple has almost all of these options too but you have to go digging to get them. The notifications one would show up in settings -> notifications. The auto update is in setting -> app store. The content setting is in settings -> general -> restrictions. All for the app store. Please explain to me how that is remotely user friendly?

• Reply 62 of 212
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Those will still be there.  You still need to sign in with your iTunes account and password for when you use iTunes on your Mac, PC, iPad, and iPod Touch. You still need Two-factor and 3 questions to help insure security.

The fingerprint will be only one additional layer of security. The rest need to be in place.  Otherwise, crooks will simply cut off your fingers or hand to get by the fingerprint sensor.
    Also, fingerprints are not actually that unique. It's not like a magical identifier that only one person has.
  • Reply 63 of 212
    As demonstrated on mythbusters, couldn't someone just lift your fingerprint from the touchscreen and create a mold, place it over their finger and have access??
  • Reply 64 of 212
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Other than that nice feature article although a bit verbose and digressive.

If it isn't loaded with rampant 'fanboyism', it wasn't written by Dilger.
  • Reply 65 of 212
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

The top box 'notifications' you see there is the top and the build is the bottom. What world do you live in where 6 options and 2 'about' details is not user friendly ?

I understand what Google's philosophy here is, they just don't have what it takes to make calls for the users. So give the user all the options.

It takes more of a visionary to be able to do that , like Apple. Simplicity in design !

Design is not just about the way something looks, but how something works at so many different levels.

You know how Apple solves the problem ? Require a password when not put in a particular interval. So if you put your password, it will let you go on without using passwords for a time span.

And get back to requiring passwords once you go past that time span. Its Simplicity. iOS is evolving to a point where users don't have to be bothered about a lot of stuff, and just get on with things while Android's going the Windows way .. We all know were that got Windows :)

• Reply 66 of 212
    ireland wrote: »
    But the most common way to wake an iOS device is via the home button. And by doing it this way that can be the initiating confirmation. So the button needs to be pressed first (unless device is awake already, which is the exception).
    Maybe if we have a phone with a fingerprint sensor they will finally let us turn off the "swipe to open" nonsense. Then merely touching the home button (in the process of waking it up) will take you right to the home screen. Alternatively, the swiping could be disabled depending on who it is touching the button, so that when the owner hits the home button it goes to the home screen, but anyone else will get either a "swipe to open" prompt or an "enter password" prompt.
  • Reply 67 of 212
    darklitedarklite Posts: 229member
    nikilok wrote: »
    Yes now that's what I call a User friendly interface, put a 100 options and throw checkboxe's next to each one of them. Bravo you go on :) 
    How is that different to iOS's settings app? One, two, three. To me, it looks like both OSes go for the same approach?

jameskatt2 wrote: »
    The fingerprint will be only one additional layer of security. The rest need to be in place.  Otherwise, crooks will simply cut off your fingers or hand to get by the fingerprint sensor.
    If they've got physical access to you and are prepared to cut off your hand, I'm fairly sure they could force you to reveal your password.
  • Reply 68 of 212
    As demonstrated on mythbusters, couldn't someone just lift your fingerprint from the touchscreen and create a mold, place it over their finger and have access??
    One of thhe 'revolutionary' aspects of the technology they just bought is that its supposed to be able to tell the difference between live and dead fingers.
  • Reply 69 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkLite View Post

How is that different to iOS's settings app? One, two, three. To me, it looks like both OSes go for the same approach?

If they've got physical access to you and are prepared to cut off your hand, I'm fairly sure they could force you to reveal your password.

Post 66 for you.

• Reply 70 of 212
    nexusphan wrote: »
    The top box 'notifications' you see there is the top and the build is the bottom. What world do you live in where 6 options and 2 'about' details is not user friendly?

Edit: Apple has almost all of these options too but you have to go digging to get them. The notifications one would show up in settings -> notifications. The auto update is in setting -> app store. The content setting is in restrictions. All for the app store. Please explain to me how that is remotely user friendly?

I'm no Android hater, but putting "content restrictions" in a "restrictions" sub-menu makes reasonable sense to me.
  • Reply 71 of 212

Quote:

I guess it could be like the finger print reader, just another option for security. Don't like it? Don't use it. Face unlock, at least, doesn't add cost to the BoM tho.

Face Unlock was the worst gimmick ever. It's slow, not reliable, and only works under good lighting conditions. It even failed during the announcement keynote for ICS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey Govero View Post

I'm sure Mythbusters has access to the same type of sensor Apple is using. /S

I also find it interesting nobody wants to bring up the Atrix. The fanboys seem to love to throw this POS around whenever an article about Apple using a fingerprint sensor appears (sort of like bringing up that POS LG Prada or Samsung F700 as proof there were touchscreen phones before the iPhone).

They keep forgetting the Atrix was famous for its failing sensors or the fact Motorola stopped putting them in all subsequent phone models. Being first to market with an idea is meaningless if it doesn't work.

• Reply 72 of 212

Quote:

I understand what Google's philosophy here is, they just don't have what it takes to make calls for the users. So give the user all the options.

It takes more of a visionary to be able to do that , like Apple. Simplicity in design !

Design is not just about the way something looks, but how something works at so many different levels.

You know how Apple solves the problem ? Require a password when not put in a particular interval. So if you put your password, it will let you go on without using passwords for a time span.

And get back to requiring passwords once you go past that time span. Its Simplicity. iOS is evolving to a point where users don't have to be bothered about a lot of stuff, and just get on with things while Android's going the Windows way .. We all know were that got Windows :)

You missed my edit.

Edit: Apple has almost all of these options too but you have to go digging to get them. The notifications one would show up in settings -> notifications. The auto update is in setting -> app store. The content setting is in settings -> general -> restrictions. All for the app store. Please explain to me how that is remotely user friendly?

• Reply 73 of 212
    philboogie wrote: »
    Yeah, I always though the retina scan would have been the better way to go … the iPhone's camera doesn't have this same degradation issue. Plus you could have multiple reference scans, 'just awake', 'normal', 'bloodshot (hung over)', 'just had a joint' and so on. :D

HA!
    Seriously though, you have to think Apple have something up their sleeve this guy is unaware of don't you?

I would like to think so, but after reading his article, and the other fingerprint capture method I don't see how they can make it work:

There are 2 kinds of fingerprint capture methods: touchless and touch-based fingerprint capture. I pioneered the first category. This capture technique requires a camera with very sophisticated optical lenses and a complex lighting system. The huge advantage of the touchless fingerprint devices compared to the touch-based ones is that, since the finger does not need to touch any rigid surfaces, the skin does not deform and the image captures very rich details that can make the recognition more accurate. Manufacturing costs are the main issue with this kind of devices and they cannot be miniaturized, so touchless fingerprint devices are not suitable for cellphones.

CMOS fingerprint device, you will find a number representing the lifetime of a device. That number is expressed in number of touches (before it completely dies). That number is provided in ideal conditions of usage and in a normal operating environment of temperature and humidity. But remember where you normally use your iPhone. You keep it in your “dirty" pockets, you leave it on different surfaces, and in humid and hot or cold and dry environments. Sometimes water drops on it or you forget it in your car under the sun. All these factors stress the working conditions of the sensor surface and contribute to speeding up its decay process. Unfortunately there is no existing solution to this.

For you, this means that a fingerprint sensor on your phone will break after a while. How long after you buy it? Well, that will depend on where you live, how you use it, where you use it, how careful you are with it, and how clean your hands are.

That suggests to me that the fingerprint sensor should be removable/replaceable -- as contained in the back or side of a [relatively] inexpensive case, rather than built into the device, itself.
  • Reply 74 of 212
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    "Pantech Vega LTE-A IM-A880S boasts of a fingerprint reader and touch sensor at the back of the device" Seems they have it backwards … LOL

More fingers touch the back of the device than the front.
  • Reply 75 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewofArabia View Post

I'm no Android hater, but putting "content restrictions" in a "restrictions" sub-menu makes reasonable sense to me.

My point was you have 3+ different places to go to access settings for one app. Its not user friendly at all.

• Reply 76 of 212
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    ascii wrote: »
    It does sound like they have come up with something new. But I wonder how long it takes to do a reading? Will you have to hold your finger on the home button for a while or just "click" it normal speed?

iqatedo wrote: »
    One way to improve signal to noise is to sit staring at the subject for a while, the whole time integrating the signal. Apple's sensor is described as being 'super-sensitive', implying a very short integration time and therefore rapid response. It's conceivable that if the technology is truly advanced, that the fingerprint might be acquired as the finger nears or just touches the surface, even before the key is depressed (or preferably before the key is depressed). Might seem instantaneous and not subject to surface contamination. Might Apple have the issue sorted?

It has to be exactly as simple as this in practice: 1) Pick up your phone, 2) Thumb the Home Button., 3) Screen awakes with unlocking sound, to the Home Screen.

Done. If there is anything more to it than that, Apple won't implement it, because it would suck.
  • Reply 77 of 212

Quote:

You missed my edit.

You answered that yourself. Its hidden away only to those that want to go for it !  Not for those that aren't bothered about seeing it .

Its an art to be able to masquerade complexity. Something Google needs to figure out how to do.

• Reply 78 of 212

Quote:

You answered that yourself. Its hidden away only to those that want to go for it !  Not for those that aren't bothered about seeing it .

Its an art to be able to masquerade complexity. Something Google needs to figure out how to do.

If its "hidden away only to those that want to go for it" please explain your first comment attempting to be an apple fanboi and bash android "now that's what I call a User friendly interface, put a 100 options and throw checkboxe's next to each one of them"

• Reply 79 of 212

Quote:

If its "hidden away only to those that want to go for it" please explain your first comment attempting to be an apple fanboi and bash android "now that's what I call a User friendly interface, put a 100 options and throw checkboxe's next to each one of them"

You sound like a blind fool.

What that means is provide functionality when the user wants to go looking for it, and hide it when he doesn't have to see it !

Let me give you a simpler way to put it. Would you prefer a car sales man open up the hood of the car first, before even talking about what the car can do ?

yeah if your a mechanic sure !

• Reply 80 of 212
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,754member

Quote:

What Apple really needs to do is catch up with the big android phones that support multi touch while using gloves.

Huh?  There are plenty of inexpensive gloves you can get nowadays which work with iPhones.