Apple, Inc. gets its fingerprints on advanced touch sensor, appears difficult for Android to copy

Comments

• Reply 141 of 212
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    The Moto X is being built in Texas as a stunt.

So Apple's assembly of one of it's Mac models here in the US would be the same kind of stunt then.
  • Reply 142 of 212
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Those will still be there.  You still need to sign in with your iTunes account and password for when you use iTunes on your Mac, PC, iPad, and iPod Touch. You still need Two-factor and 3 questions to help insure security.

The fingerprint will be only one additional layer of security. The rest need to be in place.  Otherwise, crooks will simply cut off your fingers or hand to get by the fingerprint sensor.

LOL! If they are in the position to cut your hand, guess what? You will tell them every password and every two-factor authentication they will ask you!

• Reply 143 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So Apple's assembly of one of it's Mac models here in the US would be the same kind of stunt then.

Both made in Asia and assembled in the USA.

• Reply 144 of 212
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    That only leaves you the ability to "Android Beam," necessary because Android doesn't yet support Bluetooth LE.

Yes sir it is certainly supported. You just haven't kept up, no biggie.
  • Reply 145 of 212
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    lakings33 wrote: »
    Both made in Asia and assembled in the USA.

Wherever final assembly takes place gets the 'made in' nomenclature.
  • Reply 146 of 212
    soloman wrote: »
    And through the device -- to pay for things, unlock things, provide secure access to things...

And none of that can be done through a computer?

Of course... but do you want to carry around a laptop (including bag, kit, extra batteries) so you can buy a drink at the bar on the beach... or board a train... unlock your car...

mobile == convenient

desktop or portable != convenient
  • Reply 147 of 212

I'm curious about whether there really are difficulties with fingerprint sensors.  The invasivecode post linked in the article was really unconvincing.  As best I could tell, he was describing a capacitive touch screen and all of his issues arise with those as well..  Nothing in the article suggested that a fingerprint sensor has any more problems than the existing touch screen.  The capacitors are already small enough in the retina display (according to the author himself).  Clearly the surface does not degrade appreciably over several years of use.  I've not heard any reports of portions of the screen going dead due to too many touches and there are definitely portions of the screen that I touch more times than I touch the home button.  So what about a fingerprint sensor is more problematic than a touch sensitive retina display?

The usefulness of a fingerprint sensor in the short term may depend on whether you use a lock code.  I don't, so not having to swipe to unlock is not a significant savings.  If I used a passcode, or even better a longer pass phrase, than a sensor that bypassed that for me alone would be great.

• Reply 148 of 212
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

[snip]

The impact of such a tech is huge. A world were all passwords, other info you want can be remembered in the iCloud Keychain and granted access with your thumb impression.

Imagine if you only had to touch your thumb to authenticate yourself all over the web and iOS Eco system. It's a big move towards advancements and better user experience.

The later part user experience would get a giant leap ahead with a small touch of a finger.

exactly. passwords are the #1 pain in the butt in the entire consumer digital world. a genuine Just Works solution to that would be a true breakthrough and huge market success.

as to all the "experts" declaring it won't work because [fill in blank], what they are really saying is they couldn't come up with a solution, so no one else can either. well, we'll see about that ...

• Reply 149 of 212

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

The reference is likely Google's latest Nexus 7, which "has NFC" but lacks an "embedded secure element" required for Google Wallet, making it hardware incompatible with all of the secure purchasing infrastructure Google rolled out related to NFC. That only leaves you the ability to "Android Beam," necessary because Android doesn't yet support Bluetooth LE.

So saying something "has NFC" does not mean it does anything useful, specifically does not mean it can do secure transactions (although, in truth, Google Wallet can't do secure transactions either) and is nothing more than marketing bullshit designed to tick off a feature box that a few Android Enthusiasts are looking for.

Just like the "8 core" X8 chips Google misrepresented as being some remarkable new technology with more cores than an A6X, when it really has the same, and is actually just a Qualcomm Snapdragon. 

Just like the "16 core" chip Google claimed to have last year for the Nexus 7, which was really a run of the mill Tegra 3, but Google counted every shader as a "core" just to blow smoke. 

Google is the king of bullshit, which is why people who can't get enough bullshit love the company so much. There's people on these forums who are completely full of bullshit, but keep gobbling it up every time Google puts out another BSPR.

The poster I was responding to specifically mentioned smartphones. I was responding to that. Google wallets big problem is that 3 of the 4 US carriers don't allow it on their android smartphones.  As for Google Wallet security I believe that the only known vulnerability that exists now is that the pin can be hacked on rooted phones.

"The most impressive security measurement recently (July 2012) introduced is eliminating the need to store any credit card data anymore on the device! “The credit and debit cards you store in Google Wallet are safely encrypted on secure servers in a secure location. When you pay in-store, Google actually pays the merchant, and then processes the transaction with your selected credit or debit card. So neither the merchant nor the Android operating system ever gets your real payment card information” This solves all the data vulnerability issues, yet the pin retrieval attack is still a threat on phone with root access. Furthermore Joshua Rubin proved that the pin can be breached also by enabling root privileges retroactively."

• Reply 150 of 212
    soloman wrote: »

As a whole? No but I have noticed quite a bit of tech upstarts are located in Brooklyn.

No not as a whole.
  • Reply 151 of 212
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Also, fingerprints are not actually that unique. It's not like a magical identifier that only one person has.
    They are unique enough no?

It must depend on the person and the resolution of the sensor certainly.
  • Reply 152 of 212
    I think the first iteration of this technology will be simply for password input to unlock iPhone and also directional gestures for phone text search and Siri. Also gestures can be tailored to users preference.
  • Reply 153 of 212
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Those will still be there.  You still need to sign in with your iTunes account and password for when you use iTunes on your Mac, PC, iPad, and iPod Touch. You still need Two-factor and 3 questions to help insure security.

The fingerprint will be only one additional layer of security. The rest need to be in place.  Otherwise, crooks will simply cut off your fingers or hand to get by the fingerprint sensor.

That's the worry.  Crooks will not only grab your iphone but will also cut off your fingers or hand too.

• Reply 154 of 212
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Looks as though the finger scanner may not be in this years IPhone, unfortunately Even the code we saw in iOS 7 beta 4 is just there for future use hopefully I'm wrong however we haven't seen any real proof The next 2 weeks will tell the story
  • Reply 155 of 212
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Look at the last word on that picture. It doesnt matter if the tech is patented or hard to copy, if an Apple tech gain traction, everybody, there mother and there pets are going to clone the crap out of it and there is nothing Apple can do about it.

I just noticed the poor spacing between the word "Patent" and the exclamation mark. That's not good !

• Reply 156 of 212
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I was on one large project team at IBM where a status meeting was scheduled for the next day. The project leader for our sub-group suggested that we have a pre-meeting meeting to discuss what we were going to say at the meeting... No Lie!

After a few months the project was canceled.

So true.  

• Reply 157 of 212
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

That's the worry.  Crooks will not only grab your iphone but will also cut off your fingers or hand too.

And the sky is falling too....  Someone would take your phone AND your finger about as likely as a person getting struck by lightning 10 times in the same day.   Please.

It's a LOT more likely that an Android user will get malware, that's a more REAL issue.

• Reply 158 of 212
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    drblank wrote: »
    And the sky is falling too....  Someone would take your phone AND your finger about as likely as a person getting struck by lightning 10 times in the same day.   Please.

It's a LOT more likely that an Android user will get malware, that's a more REAL issue.

I can see the MSM headline: Man loses finger due to Apple's fingerprint tech in iPhone. Class Action lawsuit to be filed within days.
  • Reply 159 of 212
    ipen wrote: »
    I've read that the sensor tech reads a living fingerprint only so if your finger was cut off it wouldn't register properly.
  • Reply 160 of 212
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    There's just so many things that can render a fingerprint unreadable. A cut, a burn, a bruise, dirt, etc would probably prevent this from working.