Microsoft rehashes old arguments in latest anti-iPad Surface ad

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Video of the ATIV Q

My comment about Android ultra-books was in relation to a discussion about the ATIV Q. The ATIV Q, while interesting, isn't what I was talking about. It runs Windows (as well as Android) and is more of a "hybrid tablet" than an ultra-book. It's also quite expensive (probably around $1500-1600!) What I'd like to see, and I think there are some of these in the pipe-line, is a pure Android device, a clamshell about the size of a iPad-mini or a Kindle Fire, with a dedicated keyboard, i.e. an ultra-book running Android. (I think form factor of the Nexus 7 is too small, because the keyboard will be tiny... one step up from that.) 

• Reply 102 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by macart View Post

Can be used as a POS!

Yep, Piece Of Shite!

Wow, what a insightful post. I just love it when people post negative comments about devices they have never used or plan on using.

• Reply 103 of 129

Check this out: $120 for a Android 4.1 ultrabook.  Reading the specs my only beef is with the battery life. 

http://www.amazon.com/WolVol-Operating-Notebook-Computer-Installed/dp/B007RFNV2U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_5

• Reply 104 of 129
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

What is the last successful product that required the use of a stylus? 

Probably the Galaxy Note series.

Note 3 will be launching around the same time as a new iPhone.

• Reply 105 of 129

Quote:

My comment about Android ultra-books was in relation to a discussion about the ATIV Q. The ATIV Q, while interesting, isn't what I was talking about. It runs Windows (as well as Android) and is more of a "hybrid tablet" than an ultra-book. It's also quite expensive (probably around $1500-1600!) What I'd like to see, and I think there are some of these in the pipe-line, is a pure Android device, a clamshell about the size of a iPad-mini or a Kindle Fire, with a dedicated keyboard, i.e. an ultra-book running Android. (I think form factor of the Nexus 7 is too small, because the keyboard will be tiny... one step up from that.) 

Oh, I missed that. In that case take a look at the Asus Transformer Infinity. It is one of my favorite devices.

• Reply 106 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    graxspoo wrote: »

Sure. If your standards are low enough, anything looks like a good deal. If you want to throw your money away on that POS, feel free. For starters, how far do you think 4 GB of storage is going to last you? Not to mention bargain basement crapware components.
    relic wrote: »
    Longhorn was the development codename for Vista, so Longhorn wasn't vaporware as it shipped in early 2007, does that help refresh your memory?

Sort of. Longhorn was pretty seriously gutted, so Vista was only a fraction of what Longhorn was supposed to be.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
  • Reply 108 of 129
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Sure. If your standards are low enough, anything looks like a good deal. If you want to throw your money away on that POS, feel free. For starters, how far do you think 4 GB of storage is going to last you? Not to mention bargain basement crapware components.

Sort of. Longhorn was pretty seriously gutted, so Vista was only a fraction of what Longhorn was supposed to be.

Yeah, Longhorn was the bait-and-switch enticement to embrace Vista. It implied that even if we don't get all the Longhorn features into the initial release of Vista, they will eventually come.

A bit more was added to W7 but still, two OS iterations on, and even W8 doesn't have all the features promised with Longhorn.

I've seen how Windows runs on these low-end "tablets". It isn't good. I got something akin to a 'blue screen' the first time I demo'd one. I instantly flashed back to the guy demoing the Surface at the launch announcement, and it crashed then too.

No, I don't want these undependable Win-driven devices at MY point of sale. EVER.

• Reply 109 of 129

I've been wondering about something...

Where do you put the Surface keyboard when you're not using it? I mean, you have to carry it with you, right? Where does it live when it's not 'clicked' to your Surface?

This kind of implies that a Surface requires a bag to carry along with all its bits and pieces? How easy is it to damage that keyboard by bending it?

I have to say, one of the things I have loved about my iPad is: No. Laptop. Bag. to lug around.

I use an integrated keyboard case. Barely adds any weight or thickness, folds back and voila. I'm typing. It actually has keys too, so I suspect it feels a lot nicer than that plastic sheet they use on the Surface.

So, where does one need to keep that snap-on keyboard safely when not in use?

• Reply 110 of 129

Quote:

Check this out: $120 for a Android 4.1 ultrabook.  Reading the specs my only beef is with the battery life. 

http://www.amazon.com/WolVol-Operating-Notebook-Computer-Installed/dp/B007RFNV2U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_5

Yay. The Netbook reborn! You say your only beef is the battery life?? I'd have some issues with that screen too. I can see just how grainy it is from this photo alone. Just by looking at it, I'm guessing it's too heavy, too fragile, and too cheaply made (inside and out) to even be worth the $120. What on earth would you use it for? Why on earth would anyone remotely consider this as an alternative to… anything?

It's fine to say "just web and email, basic document editing", since that's about all I would entrust it to do. If that. Why spend good money to guarantee you'd be constrained to those few tasks? Spend a couple of hundred more, and you've got an iPad Mini capable of everything this can do and MUCH more. Yes, the specs and build quality (and company of record: Apple) of ANY iPad pretty much guarantee it.

Just saying.

[EDIT] Just out of curiosity, I went back and dove into some of the details at that Amazon link. I'm still wondering why you posted this crappy little thing to this forum?

I was right, it weighs a ton. Well, 1.6 pounds to be exact. That seems fairly excessive for a 7" "mini laptop netbook notebook computer tablet PC" (they don't even know what to call it exactly, eh?). An 11" MacBook Air weighs only half a pound more, but it's a much more substantial machine.

I don't see any specs to crow about. 2-hour battery life aside, the whole package seems more than a bit… I don't know… bad?

I skimmed the reviews as well. Don't you find it suspect that 10 of the whopping 13 total reviews gave it a full 5-star rating? Seriously? Even the best Apple products don't enjoy that high a ratings ratio. Those are certainly suspect, to say the least.

I imagine it's crap products like this one that lets "Strategy Analytics" try to claim that Apple is being outsold 2 to 1 by similar "white box" devices… it IS an "Android "tablet" thing" after all. It's ALSO a laptop, netbook, notebook computer PC… whatever. SA will count it against Apple's competitive space. Stupid.

Come on. Don't waste our time here with nonsense like this. It's pointless and worthless. Do you understand why I say that?

• Reply 111 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Yay. The Netbook reborn! You say your only beef is the battery life?? I'd have some issues with that screen too. I can see just how grainy it is from this photo alone. Just by looking at it, I'm guessing it's too heavy, too fragile, and too cheaply made (inside and out) to even be worth the $120. What on earth would you use it for? Why on earth would anyone remotely consider this as an alternative to… anything?

It's fine to say "just web and email, basic document editing", since that's about all I would entrust it to do. If that. Why spend good money to guarantee you'd be constrained to those few tasks? Spend a couple of hundred more, and you've got an iPad Mini capable of everything this can do and MUCH more. Yes, the specs and build quality (and company of record: Apple) of ANY iPad pretty much guarantee it.

Just saying.

[EDIT] Just out of curiosity, I went back and dove into some of the details at that Amazon link. I'm still wondering why you posted this crappy little thing to this forum?

I was right, it weighs a ton. Well, 1.6 pounds to be exact. That seems fairly excessive for a 7" "mini laptop netbook notebook computer tablet PC" (they don't even know what to call it exactly, eh?). An 11" MacBook Air weighs only half a pound more, but it's a much more substantial machine.

I don't see any specs to crow about. 2-hour battery life aside, the whole package seems more than a bit… I don't know… bad?

I skimmed the reviews as well. Don't you find it suspect that 10 of the whopping 13 total reviews gave it a full 5-star rating? Seriously? Even the best Apple products don't enjoy that high a ratings ratio. Those are certainly suspect, to say the least.

I imagine it's crap products like this one that lets "Strategy Analytics" try to claim that Apple is being outsold 2 to 1 by similar "white box" devices… it IS an "Android "tablet" thing" after all. It's ALSO a laptop, netbook, notebook computer PC… whatever. SA will count it against Apple's competitive space. Stupid.

Come on. Don't waste our time here with nonsense like this. It's pointless and worthless. Do you understand why I say that?

What language do they speak in Brooklyn New York USA?

Welcome To Wolvol.com

WOLVOL INC. based in Brooklyn New York USA specializes in selling Mini Netbook Laptops designed for small computer work, such as checking emails, browsing the web, playing games and light office work.

Latest Features for Mini Netbook, computer, laptop & various accessories in USA

Mini net books are likewise called as notebooks. These are lightweight and economical. These are utilized for general registering and gaining entrance to web requisitions. With all the buildup encompassing mini netbooks and the slew of producers vying for piece of the overall industry with their own particular elucidation of this journal workstation, it’s difficult to resolve in the event that you need this exceedingly transportable gadget and which one best suits your requirements. Do you want to choose light computing notebook computer with specific features as per your need? Then contribute the design & size of computers in current generation’s netbooks.

Select the computer for kid’s technology like educational tools with various listed products at stunning performance. If you are thinking to buy selected laptops with greater maintenance issues for kid- friendly features then Wolvol.com is the right way to catch out the kids laptop & various latest technology of kids computer at high-end processors.

Android is the one generally celebrated internationally innovation which is utilized for versatile phones. This open working framework is more influential which has incredible use in the field of different relative machine associations. Android computer is celebrated around the world working framework which depletes a mess of force, client neighborly likewise its motion picture foundation light is exceptionally salubrious for the eyes. Android Computer working framework is utilized as a part of different apparatuses like advanced mobile phones, laptops and netbooks which has different points of interest additionally inconveniences on business today. Android will make good use of computers running on with big resolutions. You can get the OS running Android on PC applications which peaks out the reliable features. So if you have questions regarding computers models with features then we are here you to help you side by side & give you the best model of netbook also computer available on today. Or else you can leave the comments & also we are here to give you best suggestions as per your choice.

• Reply 112 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hill60 wrote: »

They speak Cabbie, Mook, and a little Mashugina.
  • Reply 113 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They speak Cabbie, Mook, and a little Mashugina.

So likewise called as not English?

• Reply 114 of 129
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    hill60 wrote: »
    So likewise called as not English?

As I understand it, they're all dialects of American English. ;):p
  • Reply 115 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I think this particular group speaks "Google Chinglish". It's kind of like 1970's Consumer Electronics User Manual "Japlish", only automated by computerized algorithms. I find its strange poetic qualities to be oddly similar to when William Shatner did his "beat poetry" treatments of Sarah Palin's tweets.

I liked these passages the best:

...the slew of producers vying for piece of the overall industry with their own particular elucidation of this journal workstation, it’s difficult to resolve in the event that you need this exceedingly transportable gadget...

Android computer is celebrated around the world working framework which depletes a mess of force, client neighborly likewise its motion picture foundation light is exceptionally salubrious for the eyes.

(double finger snaps!)  "… which depletes a mess of force, client neighborly likewise…" (double finger snaps!)

It's ART, I tell ya. ART!

• Reply 116 of 129

Quote:

First of all, I wasn't "crowing" about this. Yes, it's cheap, and probably a little too cheap for me.  But, I'm an industry watcher, and I'm interested in the Android ultrabook idea, because there's the possibility of making very cheap and portable "laptop like" things. It's an emerging category, with a couple of early entries from otherwise unknown companies. That was the spirit in which it was offered. So no, I don't see this as pointless or worthless, but if you're not interested in that market segment, that's OK with me.

• Reply 117 of 129

Quote:

Oh, I missed that. In that case take a look at the Asus Transformer Infinity. It is one of my favorite devices.

That looks pretty cool. It's $400 for the base unit, plus another $115 for the keyboard/dock. That puts the price on the high side IMO. If you look at the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, or Nook HD+, you can see that it's possible to make and sell a decent small Android tablet for around $150.  Adding a bit of expense for the keyboard, I'd like to see Android ultrabooks selling in the $200 to $300 range.

• Reply 118 of 129

Quote:

I've been wondering about something...

Where do you put the Surface keyboard when you're not using it? I mean, you have to carry it with you, right? Where does it live when it's not 'clicked' to your Surface?

This kind of implies that a Surface requires a bag to carry along with all its bits and pieces? How easy is it to damage that keyboard by bending it?

I have to say, one of the things I have loved about my iPad is: No. Laptop. Bag. to lug around.

I use an integrated keyboard case. Barely adds any weight or thickness, folds back and voila. I'm typing. It actually has keys too, so I suspect it feels a lot nicer than that plastic sheet they use on the Surface.

So, where does one need to keep that snap-on keyboard safely when not in use?

The keyboard is an accessory, it's not required for the operation of the unit. Windows 8 has a virtual keyboard which works just like any other tablet.

• Reply 119 of 129

Quote:

The keyboard is an accessory, it's not required for the operation of the unit. Windows 8 has a virtual keyboard which works just like any other tablet.

Well, yeah? I get that. Did I ask, "What is this add-on keyboard thing, is it required or just an accessory?" Nope… I understand that it's optional.

My question was mainly about where you keep the 'snap-on' keyboard when it's not snapped on. Does it require that you carry it "separately" if you want to have it with you? Or does it "fold up" and integrate like a screen cover, or behind the Surface, when not in use and being carried, or…? If it doesn't remain attached when not in use (e.g. while carrying the Surface) then how bulky is it? How fragile? 

So, again, "where does one need to keep that snap-on keyboard safely when not in use?"

• Reply 120 of 129

Quote:

So, again, "where does one need to keep that snap-on keyboard safely when not in use?"

You can either pop it off and then lose it under the couch, or awkwardly fold it behind the unit. 

I think this question points to exactly what's wrong with the "hybrid" tablet/laptop idea. 

What we really need is a keyboard that magically appears when you need it and then vanishes when you don't.

(And no you wiseacre, I don't mean the on-screen keyboard. I'm a touch typist, and my speed drops by 50% or more trying to use the onscreen keyboard. I basically can't stand it for anything longer than a text message.)