Microsoft rehashes old arguments in latest anti-iPad Surface ad

123457»

Comments

• Reply 122 of 129
    albedoalbedo Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

That looks pretty cool. It's $400 for the base unit, plus another $115 for the keyboard/dock. That puts the price on the high side IMO. If you look at the Kindle Fire, Nexus 7, or Nook HD+, you can see that it's possible to make and sell a decent small Android tablet for around $150.  Adding a bit of expense for the keyboard, I'd like to see Android ultrabooks selling in the $200 to $300 range.

I had this device for one week. The price is justified, the fit and finish is in another league compared to the Fire or Nexus. It really is a great piece of gear. If it wasn't for Android, which was an horrible experience, I would still have it.

• Reply 123 of 129
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member

Thank you. Simple answer to a simple question.

OK so there are two keyboard options. One is a "hard shell" with 'real keys' (the type cover), the other is a plastic sheet with 'touchkeys' (the touch cover), both double as a cover or a 'protective screen'.

So you can carry the keyboard with you, attached magnetically to the Surface, and folded up as a screen cover.

$130 and $120 respectively? That's a bit steep. I paid about half for my combo keyboard/cover… it works a treat.

• Reply 124 of 129
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albedo View Post

I had this device for one week. The price is justified, the fit and finish is in another league compared to the Fire or Nexus. It really is a great piece of gear. If it wasn't for Android, which was an horrible experience, I would still have it.

Hmm, have you held a Nexus in your hands? It's a really nice tablet. Anyway, I'm sure the Asus is worth the price, but the devices that I think will really shake the market up are a little cheaper than that. Android maturing into a laptop OS is something that should have Microsoft sh*ting bricks.

• Reply 125 of 129
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    graxspoo wrote: »
    Android maturing into a laptop OS is something that should have Microsoft sh*ting bricks.

They already are, from the looks of their B&M Stores ¡
  • Reply 126 of 129
    albedoalbedo Posts: 11member

Quote:

Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Hmm, have you held a Nexus in your hands? It's a really nice tablet. Anyway, I'm sure the Asus is worth the price, but the devices that I think will really shake the market up are a little cheaper than that. Android maturing into a laptop OS is something that should have Microsoft sh*ting bricks.

Yes I did (though not for long and in a store), the Nexus is ok but the Asus was really great and cleverly done.

• Reply 127 of 129
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

Well, yeah? I get that. Did I ask, "What is this add-on keyboard thing, is it required or just an accessory?" Nope… I understand that it's optional.

My question was mainly about where you keep the 'snap-on' keyboard when it's not snapped on. Does it require that you carry it "separately" if you want to have it with you? Or does it "fold up" and integrate like a screen cover, or behind the Surface, when not in use and being carried, or…? If it doesn't remain attached when not in use (e.g. while carrying the Surface) then how bulky is it? How fragile? 

So, again, "where does one need to keep that snap-on keyboard safely when not in use?"

It's tough enough to just throw it in a bag, and to wash it in a sink.

• Reply 128 of 129
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/09/nvidia_ceo_says_second_generation_surface_rt_is_in_the_works/

"Nvidia's CEO says his company is working with Microsoft on a second-generation Surface RT, and that he believes it has a chance of success – even though the original Surface RT tablet was an utter flop – because it will include Microsoft Outlook.

'It is the killer app for Windows,' Huang told Cnet. 'Now we're going to bring it with the second-generation Surface. We're working really hard on it, and we hope that it's going to be a big success.'"

OK, Outlook is going to save the RT platform? image

I thought it was that slick terminal emulator that Uncle Fester promised us that was going to do that.

("How many of us have gone to a meeting with somebody who brought a tablet and then when it comes time to actually take notes, writes them down on pencil and paper. Or can't get at the spreadsheet...or try to use it in terminal emulator mode...or take [a long time] to set up and turn their tablet into something that approximates a PC." - Mr Ballmer)

• Reply 129 of 129
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    So this is an interesting story. Microsoft is being sued over claims the Surface is "an unmitigated disaster" and misleading investors about it.

http://www.neowin.net/news/class-action-lawsuit-filed-against-microsoft-over-surface-rt-sales

The exact sales of Microsoft's Surface RT tablets are the subject of a newly filed class action lawsuit against the company. The lawsuit alleges that Microsoft has issued "false and misleading statements" concerning the sales of its first PC hardware product, which Microsoft launched in October 2012.

The law firm of Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd filed the suit on behalf of the plaintiff, Gail Fialkov, and Microsoft is named as a defendant in the case. In addition, the lawsuit names CEO Steve Ballmer as a defendant along with former CFO Peter Klein; Corporate Vice President Frank Brod; and Tami Reller, who served as the head of business and marketing for the Windows division until the company's recent restructuring, when she was then named as head of all marketing.

The lawsuit claims that Microsoft failed to state how bad sales of the Surface RT have been and that the company's inventory of the tablet "experienced a material decline in value during the quarter ended March 31, 2013." The lawsuit also alleges that Microsoft's financial statements for that same quarter were "materially false and misleading" and violated both general accounting practices along with Microsoft's own "policy of accounting for inventories." The law firm is seeking an unspecified amount of damages from Microsoft.