Google now popping up new banner ads in iPhone Google Maps searches

Comments

• Reply 61 of 100
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I'll start with these that have been going on forever..

* constant time machine failures while backing up to external  NAS

* macbook Pro unresponsive on wake from sleep

* have to type password in  twice on macbook pro wake from sleep, characters get lost from first attempt, screen flashes black

* Software update cancelled restart (which I did from software update)

* Regular spinning beachball when doing basic stuff

* Weird screen switching behavior that I've just resigned myself to.

* takes about 5 seconds from when I hit the volume button on iMac for the UI to respond

All my Macs are on Snow Leopard.

I could go on and on, but I know your response is going to be "well mine doesn't do that, therefore I don't believe you"

[snip]

i do believe you. i also believe you have screwed up your computer one way or another (there are a good number of ways to do that) and are just looking for someone else to blame.

and yes, you're right. my (6) Macs don't do that.

• Reply 62 of 100
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

and yes, you're right. my (6) Macs don't do that.

I have 10 Macs, All up to date latest available OS update. None of them have any current SW platform issues. All fully operational and working and no HW issues except where noted.

two G3 PowerMac B&W (these are running Linux, so perhaps they don't count)

G4 PowerMac 400Mhz Sawtooth

G4 Dual 450Mhz Gigabit

G3 iMac 600 Mhz

G4 eMac 1Ghz

---

Mid 2008 iMac 21"

Late 2009 13" MB (has a trackpad issue which ended being an adjustment screw)

Mid 2010 13" MBP (replacement of magi-port connector because I accidentally damaged it by dropping MBP on it side while power adapter was attached).

Mid 2011 Mac Mini

Planning to buy a 15" rMBP in the fall. 

Stack full of Dell laptops (6) which have collected over the many years of employment. All have broken HW of some kind and all have had floating mouse and Wifi issues. Since I don't technically own them, I cant throw them away so I just store them in the "craptop pile" until I quit. 

• Reply 63 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If you're curious what trackers are used by the websites you visit and get an idea "how they get that information" add Little Snitch or Ghostery. They both let you see who's following you and allows you to block a few or all of them. You'll be surprised at how many trackers have nothing to do with Google.

Thanks for the tip! I will do just that. Maybe it's time to do more "private browsing" than I have been. It's nice to know when I'm NOT being "followed around" all the time...

• Reply 64 of 100

Quote:

I'll start with these that have been going on forever..

* constant time machine failures while backing up to external  NAS

* macbook Pro unresponsive on wake from sleep

* have to type password in  twice on macbook pro wake from sleep, characters get lost from first attempt, screen flashes black

* Software update cancelled restart (which I did from software update)

* Regular spinning beachball when doing basic stuff

* Weird screen switching behavior that I've just resigned myself to.

* takes about 5 seconds from when I hit the volume button on iMac for the UI to respond

All my Macs are on Snow Leopard.

I could go on and on, but I know your response is going to be "well mine doesn't do that, therefore I don't believe you"

Galaxy S4,got an update in July, is at 4.2.2, owned about one month, replaced a Nexus 4 that was at 4.2.1

Nexus 4, currently at 4.3, owned for one year, works better than when I got it because of improvements in Jellybean

Both Nexus 7 tablets currently at 4.3, owned for over a year, also performing better than when originally purchased.

You see I really have no idea what you are talking about, and I suspect you don't either.

When was the last time you did any maintenance, like, a "Repair Permissions"?

OS X, although  extremely low maintenance, is not maintenance free. It does take some "cleaning" now and then. You can get away with just repairing permissions every other month or so (or whenever your system seems to be acting strangely). That typically solves 98% of all woes in my experience.

Deeper 'cleaning' of caches, and other routine maintenance things are more easily handled using a simple app like Onyx, or the like… well worth the minor investment of time, and most of those simple utilities are free or very inexpensive.

Worth looking into. Because, yeah, I also don't experience most of the problems you've listed.

• Reply 65 of 100
  • Reply 66 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

When was the last time you did any maintenance, like, a "Repair Permissions"?

OS X, although  extremely low maintenance, is not maintenance free. It does take some "cleaning" now and then. You can get away with just repairing permissions every other month or so (or whenever your system seems to be acting strangely). That typically solves 98% of all woes in my experience.

Deeper 'cleaning' of caches, and other routine maintenance things are more easily handled using a simple app like Onyx, or the like… well worth the minor investment of time, and most of those simple utilities are free or very inexpensive.

Worth looking into. Because, yeah, I also don't experience most of the problems you've listed.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard the "repair permissions" response to any/all apple issues I'd be a very rich man. Yes I regularly repair permissions. Most of my issues have been reported to apple by multiple other users as well. I've given up even tracking them anymore, maybe someday they'll get fixed, maybe not.

In any case they're mostly just annoying user experience issues rather than showstoppers, but I mentioned them only in response to the poster who seemed to think that apples software quality was beyond reproach.  

• Reply 67 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

so ... let me check some facts. do you see an ad every time you open Google maps? or with every search? or just sometimes?

Finally, back on topic.

Sometimes and only on search. The previous implementation always put the first search result in the banner at the bottom of the screen. Yes the banner was always there. The new implementation is, if you enter a generic search term, like flower shop, the banner may now contain an ad, instead of the first search result. Selecting the banner will bring up the results list, with the ad at the top again.

If you enter a business name or an address or a  contact, no ad will appear and the banner will contain info directly relevant to the search term you entered.

I'm really not sure why this is at all newsworthy.

• Reply 68 of 100

Quote:

Most of my issues have been reported to apple by multiple other users as well. I've given up even tracking them anymore, maybe someday they'll get fixed, maybe not.  

you are interesting.  You say you have SW problems in Mac OS X and you take the time to tell me your issues.. I respond and sincerely try to help you by taking my time telling you which one's I've seen before and offer possible solutions. Most all of the problems you state I have seen before are third party driver or HW related and not Apple software platform in my opinion.    However, you obviously don't really seem interested in fixing any of them, but instead seem to be bent on placing blame it on Apple SW and debating without actually getting to bottom of problems for which I offered solutions.  Thanks for wasting both of our time.

Stop attempting to use third party NAS with Time Machine. Use a Time Capsule or an external USB hard drive. Apple does not support ANY 3rd party NAS. Call the NAS vendor to get your problems to go away if you want to keep it.

Uninstall outdated Virtual Machine drivers and other third party drivers incompatible with Snow Leopard. 

Look at "pmset" link I sent you and make sure its set NOT to do hibernation for your Desktop iMac which is configured by some VM installers. 

Check for bad USB hardware like keyboard/mice and other accessories from preventing smooth wake from sleep. Unplug it all and start with a different keyboard/mouse if available. See if problems persist after cleaning out incompatible 3rd party drivers and VM drivers.

Don't login multiple users at the same time using multi-users sessions if you dont realistically have enough RAM to support it. 

I've been using Macs for a very long time and pretty much have used the majority of the Macs that Apple has sold which support OS X. I'm not trying to pull a fast one over on you. I'm being honest and sincere here about typical SW problems and solutions on the Mac OS X platform and want to help you.   Please dont waste our time spent thus far documenting your problems and possible solutions.  Please actually look at what I told you. If it works for you that would be great... you don't need to admit anything to me; you can keep it to yourself. 

However, If you are not willing to do at least try some of this fixes caused by 3rd party SW or HW, then please stop blaming the Apple SW team for problems they can not control. Its been my experience that the blame will likely misdirected based on your problem description thus far.  I mean you no offense or disrespect, just being straight with you and hope the same in return for the time spent on your issues.

• Reply 69 of 100
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Based on the sceren shot in the article, I don't see much visual difference from the way Google Maps has alwasy worked. You enter a search, results are displayed. Maybe it's clickable now, but visually it's not taking up any additional space than what the search results always did. This includes the ratings, reviews and photos. They were always there and can at times contribute to the search results and help you sort through the options.

As for the concept of ads in the application...it always amazes me that so many people seem to expect that everything should be free. Apple's apps may not have ads, but Apple already made a pretty heft profit margin selling you the phone in the first place. It's just a different way to pay for the cost of developing the software. Free is seldom free.

So why does a Galaxy S4 have a $A50 higher RRP (recommended retail price) and an HTC One is $A80 higher than an equivalent 16GB iPhone?

So are Samsung and HTC also making a "pretty hefty profit margin selling you the phone in the first place"?

Why then aren't their default Google Maps ad free like Apple's?

• Reply 70 of 100

Quote:

Google has been shipping Android for a few years now. Never sued anyone over it yet no matter who's used it, cloned it, forked it, or "borrowed an Android feature". Google is far from aggressive with it's IP.

So why haven't they donated Motorola's patents to open source, seeing as they are the owners of said patents?

It must be the aggressive pursuing of Apple and Microsoft through various courts that Google is involved in, in a vain attempt to recoup their $12.5 Billon investment.

I deleted ALL Google apps from my iDevices long ago and I am glad I did, I can't stand ads trying to tell me what to do.

• Reply 71 of 100

Quote:

No sir they do not AFAIK. Perhaps you're thinking of some three year old lawsuits that Motorola filed well before they spun off Motorola Mobility and looong before Google bought MM about a year ago.

Did Google call off the lawsuits, as a matter of principle and a condition of sale?

Google ARE aggressively using Motorola's patents.

The End.

• Reply 72 of 100

Quote:

I don't personally know of anyone whose ever encountered "Android malware" and doubt you have either. But I do believe you've heard someone say that Android users are constantly dealing with it so it must be true. I guess that's close enough.

I've encountered plenty of crapware in the Android market on my S4, the non-stop nagware that comes with "free" live wallpapers and launchers that I am constantly being told differentiates this piece of junk from my "closed" iPhone is annoying as hell.

• Reply 73 of 100

Quote:

I've never wavered from it.

IMO Google has kept Motorola at arms' length at least so far. The most recent MotoX smartphone doesn't even have the latest Android version, yet Google's own devices do. Motorola Mobility uses a skin on top of Android, while Google's own are pure Android. Google's Nexus devices are built by specific partners rather than their subsidiary Motorola Mobility. Instead of absorbing MM Google made them a separately managed subsidiary with their own BOD. Rather than Google making all the legal decisions MM has it's own General Counsel. These are hardly the actions of a company who's micro-managing an acquisition are they?

Not much Blur in the Moto X, looks as vanilla as my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 4.

• Reply 74 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I deleted ALL Google apps from my iDevices long ago and I am glad I did, I can't stand ads trying to tell me what to do.

no disrespect but you indicate in thread that you also own Android devices. Which leaves me puzzled.  How do you defeat Google services targeted ads on those devices?  Are they rooted or do you not use those devices?

• Reply 75 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

no disrespect but you indicate in thread that you also own Android devices. Which leaves me puzzled.  How do you defeat Google services targeted ads on those devices?  Are they rooted or do you not use those devices?

They are deleted or not installed at all on all my iOS and OSX devices.

I just went to check my Google dashboard to be met with the message I changed my password 8 months ago, that's how long it's been since my MacBooks were signed into Google.

The Android devices are logged in under a new account I created.

Google Now on my S4 is also annoying, with disturbing random notifications popping up telling me I am 15 minutes from "home" or 20 minutes from "work", seeing as I didn't tell Google where I live or work BUT had to agree to their terms to enjoy the "benefits" of not being in Apple's walled garden, I find it disconcerting that they are tracking my device to such an extent.

• Reply 76 of 100
    hill60 wrote: »
    They are deleted or not installed at all on all my iOS and OSX devices.

I just went to check my Google dashboard to be met with the message I changed my password 8 months ago, that's how long it's been since my MacBooks were signed into Google.

The Android devices are logged in under a new account I created.

Google Now on my S4 is also annoying, with disturbing random notifications popping up telling me I am 15 minutes from "home" or 20 minutes from "work", seeing as I didn't tell Google where I live or work BUT had to agree to their terms to enjoy the "benefits" of not being in Apple's walled garden, I find it disconcerting that they are tracking my device to such an extent.
    Before google could only collect data if you used their servers.. Now they are on client side. They can get data from your gps and chrome browser. Would not be hard to exam where your phone is most days during a period of a month time after sun goes down and during the work day. Also not hard to figure out what web sites you browse to without using google search. Give it some thought. You will see how being on the client side gives them more visibility then simple waiting until you used their servers before with a PC or Mac. Dashboard won't show you the client side data they are gathering on you, just the server side. It would be very hard to cross reference this client data to the server data already collected about you to figure out who you are.
  • Reply 77 of 100
    Just a little precision, the pictures in the article don't show an advertisement but a regular result using Google's new mobile layout for maps (you can swipe left/right on the result to go to the previous/next one).
    The "ads" feature a purple "pin" on the map instead of a red one that's on the article's screenshot.
  • Reply 78 of 100
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    snova wrote: »

Is there a similar way to find out what Apple or Microsoft know about you? I'm not aware of one but perhaps you are.
  • Reply 79 of 100
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So why does a Galaxy S4 have a $A50 higher RRP (recommended retail price) and an HTC One is $A80 higher than an equivalent 16GB iPhone?

So are Samsung and HTC also making a "pretty hefty profit margin selling you the phone in the first place"?

I'm not sure if you are asking a serious question of just being deliberately argumentative. In case you are seriously thinking it's a valid question, I'll give you a clue...how much of that money that Samsung and HTC collects do you think Google gets?
  • Reply 80 of 100
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hill60 wrote: »

Because Google made nothing in their profit.