Apple's Cook being pushed to innovate by board of directors, FOX report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The Apple Board of Directors has concerns about the company's recent lack of innovation, says FOX Business Network, and is reportedly leaning on chief executive Tim Cook to rectify the situation.

Gasparino

Citing to reliable sources, FBN senior correspondent Charlie Gasparino reports Apple's board is "deeply concerned" that a perceived dry period of unique products could hurt the company, and is applying pressure on Cook to innovate at a faster pace.

"What have they had lately? They have had the iPad, they've had a few other things, but they don't have anything innovating from what came from Steve Jobs," Gasparino said. "And that concern is basically manifesting into pressure on Tim Cook to basically innovate - do something fast."

While the Cupertino, Calif., company continues to unveil product refreshes at a regular pace, its last "innovative" device launch was the iPad mini in October of 2012.

Gasparino was quick to point out that Cook is not in danger of losing his job, but at the same time cautioned board room-level tensions sometimes lead to an executive leadership shakeup.

The FBN report seems somewhat premature considering Apple's usual release schedule, which saw the first iPod unveiled in 2001, the iPhone in 2007, the iPad in 2010 and the iPad mini in 2012. In the Mac space, Apple's MacBook Air debuted in 2008, while the Retina display MacBook Pro hit the market in 2012.

As for what Apple has in the pipeline, rumors are rampant as usual. In the near term, many expect a next-generation "iPhone 5" with an integrated fingerprint sensor and a low-cost "iPhone Lite" handset to debut as early as September. Some also see a next-generation iPad mini with Retina display and fifth-generation iPad to hit shelves this year.

In addition, the company showed off a much anticipated Mac Pro, with a radically redesigned case and cutting edge internals. Apple has yet to announce a timeline for the computer's release.

Future prospects include a new cable service-connected Apple TV product and a wearable computing device dubbed the "iWatch," both of which may see release in 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 160
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Butt-the-eff-out. I call BS.
  • Reply 2 of 160
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    I don't think the board would talk to anyone on Apple matters outside of board meetings.
  • Reply 3 of 160
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member

Who pays any attention to FOX Biz News?  I don't even check the box on my D* DVR Guide to have it listed.

• Reply 4 of 160
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    What a bunch of moronic statements. "Pace of innovation"? As if you can "innovate" on a fucking schedule. As is the comparison of the "pace" compared to the time of Steve Jobs. The iPhone and iPad were years in the works.

Arguably, the "pace" has done nothing but increase in the past couple years, with Apple's entire lineup being revamped, many products drastically. We're not gonna see anything as "holy shit" as the iPhone anytime soon, and besides a phone and a tablet, another mainstream form-factor does not really exist. It's not like you can keep coming up with brand new products, that make sense, and have mainstream appeal, in a linear fashion. The most important thing Apple can do at this point is make sure their software, ecosystem, and hardware remain best in class.

I hope this board doesn't want the Samsung "throw the kitchen sink into products, no matter how half-assed the implementation" strategy, and call that "innovation". But I think they're smarter than that, and these rumors are pretty much bullshit.
  • Reply 5 of 160
    Apple is making money hand over fist. It's the most valuable company in the World. I have suspicions about this "FOX report" because it makes the board members sound completely asinine. Like Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka's factory, who can't get enough. But we know the Apple Board is not asinine, and so I think FBN's "reliable correspondent" is not so reliable.
  • Reply 6 of 160

Oh for ****’s sake—here we go again…

• Reply 7 of 160
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    It would be nice if people questioned stuff more (whether its positive or negative). First thing I thought of when I read this is, who is this guy and what is his (or Fox Business) track record when it comes to reporting on Apple or tech in general? But instead of questioning sources these days websites trip over each other to be the first to report something that will generate page views. Sigh.
  • Reply 8 of 160

Here in Brazil we call it "Brown Press"!

I don't know if it translates well, but I'm pretty sure the meaning goes right through!

• Reply 9 of 160
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    The Board has complete confidence in Apple's time line. This is BS.
  • Reply 10 of 160
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think the board would talk to anyone on Apple matters outside of board meetings.
    In most of the directory boards is at least one a$$ who has the tendency to empty his bowels, if there happens to be an opportunity.
    So far Tim Cook does just fine.(IMHO)
    An besides Apple under SJ rearly hurried to bring new stuff on the market.
  • Reply 11 of 160
    FUD. I'll believe it when I hear it from Authur Levinson, not from the likes of Neal Cavuto or Jim Cramer.
  • Reply 12 of 160
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [B]It was actually the Samsung Board of Directors that have been pressuring Tim to innovate.

They desperately need their next new, 'innovative' idea, as you can only make a phone screen so big before it becomes a failing tablet...
    [/B]
    ;)
  • Reply 13 of 160
    bcgershbcgersh Posts: 12member
    Total BS... FOX needs to boost ratings. They never report real news... this is no different.
  • Reply 14 of 160

Gasparino is not blonde; so he doesn't have any credibility on Fox. 

• Reply 15 of 160
    xsnowxsnow Posts: 5member
    "What have they had lately? " Who is this guy? In hardware there is the new Mac Pro. iOS 7 & OSX mavericks has caught vast attention. Each new beta-releasing news spreads like never before. And they said "What have they had lately? "
  • Reply 16 of 160
    The board has access to Apple's future pipeline (gives Eric Schmidt evil stare). They know what's coming. This FOX News pundit doesn't.
  • Reply 17 of 160
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    B.S.
  • Reply 18 of 160
    bcgershbcgersh Posts: 12member
    FYI Apple investors... this is the same guy that CLAIMED to be a Pulitzer Nominee in his bio and then had to drop the "nominee" part of his bio after being outed as being Full of Sh*t.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/also-not-pulitzer-prize-nominee-charles-gasparino-fox-business-848286
  • Reply 19 of 160
    nikiloknikilok Posts: 383member

Yeop I dont buy this story either.

Does apple have a innovation suggestions place ?

I have a bunch of ideas to tip them on :D

• Reply 20 of 160
    No worries TC is "laser focused on exciting new products". Looking forward to the day when it's fun to go back into the Apple store