Apple to introduce next iPhone at Sept. 10 media event

Comments

• Reply 61 of 166
    What did Mr. Ming-Chi Kuo predict?
  • Reply 62 of 166
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wow PED just roasted DED for this article!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/category/apple-2-0/?iid=H_T_QL

"Most reporters will cover the fact that they have no independent confirmation through one of handful of headline tricks. The more honorable ones will acknowledge the source by name. Others will throw in a caveat -- "sources say," "reportedly," "may," "expected to" -- or simply put a question mark on the end of their headline.
    A handful of the stories in the list above report the rumor as fact, without caveat or question mark. Most of them have little or no value to add. Steve Kovach's headline on Business Insider, for example, boldly declares that "Apple Will Announce its Next iPhone on September 10," but if you click his link you discover that, like the others, he's just piggybacking on Fried's report. Ray Basile does the same on iPhone Savior, and -- to my surprise -- so does AppleInsider's Daniel Eran Dilger."
    CultofMac is the worst. Every headline about a rumor is usually stated as fact.
  • Reply 63 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I'm holding out for the 17" MacBook Pro with a phone.

Same here, but it has to have a matte screen.
  • Reply 64 of 166
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    Wow PED just roasted DED for this article!

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/category/apple-2-0/?iid=H_T_QL

"Most reporters will cover the fact that they have no independent confirmation through one of handful of headline tricks. The more honorable ones will acknowledge the source by name. Others will throw in a caveat -- "sources say," "reportedly," "may," "expected to" -- or simply put a question mark on the end of their headline.
    A handful of the stories in the list above report the rumor as fact, without caveat or question mark. Most of them have little or no value to add. Steve Kovach's headline on Business Insider, for example, boldly declares that "Apple Will Announce its Next iPhone on September 10," but if you click his link you discover that, like the others, he's just piggybacking on Fried's report. Ray Basile does the same on iPhone Savior, and -- to my surprise -- so does AppleInsider's Daniel Eran Dilger."
    To DED's defense, he at least does some research. He will not just post something he might've read from an IDC report and leave it at that. Yes he does try to put a positive spin in favor of Apple most of the time, which is not surprising when one considers that many other sites just report stuff like "Android is crushing the competition with 80% marketshare".
    I enjoy his pieces and anxiously look forward to them. He and the Macalope over at Macworld provide my tech entertainement for the week.
  • Reply 65 of 166
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Hardly irrelevant. If you had an iPhone 5 with 4" and one with 5" which then would you use most. I know I certainly would prefer a larger iPhone and find my iPhone 5 annoying to use due to the smallish display. This is the one deficiency I find with the iPhone that may or may not apply to other people. But certainly a choice between the current and a larger size would make many more people very happy. 

Well go buy one of the Android phones already available, as I can one side by side with an iPhone, seriously there is no real difference in legibility of text.

In reality you are promoting a furphy.

• Reply 66 of 166
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I imagine the "cheap" iPhone will be supplanting the spot the 4S would have taken and they'll still sell the 5 as the mid-tier option? My brother has been using one of my iPhone4's and he's going to let me use his upgrade price to get a new phone. Then my 4 goes to my wife. But I'm just wondering if they will continue selling the 5 or if I should just go ahead and get it now. I just don't want to wait a month to save 100 bucks only to have them stop offering it and have to pay $5-700. Which I wouldn't do, I'd just get a 4 or 4S. Bah.
  • Reply 67 of 166

Quote:

expected release an enhanced new iPhone 5S with a similar form factor to the existing iPhone 5

Interesting bit of speculation, this article.  However, I have to ask how something NEW can be desribed as an "enhanced" version of itself? 

And what the heck is a "form factor"?  We keep hearing this bit of journalese, but it means nothing to me. 

• Reply 68 of 166
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    And what the heck is a "form factor"?  We keep hearing this bit of journalese, but it means nothing to me.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=form+factor
  • Reply 69 of 166
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

It's actually a bit of "designish" (I happen to have a degree in industrial design) stolen by reporters and the media - like "innovation" and "ideation" and "design thinking" don't even get me started on that one - basically meaning "shape & size". I agree, it's sort of BS, as is any professional subculture jargon, but it gets used, and helps people in a certain bubble communicate.
  • Reply 70 of 166
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Well go buy one of the Android phones already available, as I can one side by side with an iPhone, seriously there is no real difference in legibility of text.

In reality you are promoting a furphy.

No in reality I have an iPhone 5 and have used a HTC One, a HTC DNA, and a Samsung Galaxy S4 and found reading text far easier on the larger displays. Especially in games like Modern War where the text is tiny it can be very hard to read on the iPhone but very easy to read on larger phones. The same applies to other apps with fixed font sizes for menu and GUI type app specific fonts. You are promoting your preference and personal bias onto other people instead of admitting that many current iPhone owners like me reluctantly chose an iPhone because they like iOS and the Apple ecosystem but would much rather have a larger display. And exactly how would it harm or effect you in any way if they made a larger iPhone alongside the current 4" model?   

• Reply 71 of 166
  • Reply 72 of 166
    yesiam wrote: »
    One month to the most amazing smartphone ever created, plus a new iPad 5 and maybe an iPad mini 2, time to buy some more apple stock
    My guess is the updated Mini will come after the iPad 5 to give the bigger iPad sales a boost before updated mini canabalizes again
  • Reply 73 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

The 4" without question. I have used 4.3" display devices and find them too big for day to day use.

Big deal, I use a 4" iPhone 5 every day and find it too small to use comfortably and is my biggest complaint. Big phones are not a fad or niche. They are here to stay and are selling in huge numbers. Apple will make a larger display and Tim Cook basically said as much. He simply said there are certain compromises on screen quality they need to overcome which is Apple speak for "it will happen next year when IGZO or some other new display technology is ready" Then you can continue to be happy with your 4" and people like me will finally have an option we can also thoroughly enjoy using. Win Win for everyone. 

• Reply 74 of 166
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    gwmac wrote: »
    They are here to stay and are selling in huge numbers.

Source? While I do believe a larger iPhone is being developed, Apple doesn't NEED one.
  • Reply 75 of 166
    Unless the next iPhone sports a much bigger screen, I don't give a damn about the hardware. Looking forward to the next version of iOS though. 
    Me too!!
  • Reply 76 of 166
    Can't come soon enough. Money burning hole in pocket.
  • Reply 77 of 166
    It's extremely insensitive to use the word "retarded," many people have children with Down Syndrome and it's not a mocking or laughing matter. There are many ways to communicate that message in a more mature way. Really.

Uncross them, they will definitely not release two major product updates in the same event.

Your sarcasm ("shocker") is wasted. If they always released products on the exact same date year to year then your attempt would be valid, but since they don't - you wasted it.

If they released the exact same number of major products at each event, then we'd know for sure.
  • Reply 78 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Source? While I do believe a larger iPhone is being developed, Apple doesn't NEED one.

Apple very much needs one. Though I think one more year won't hurt them too badly. You really do underestimate the number of current iPhone owners who love the iPhone and iOS but are salivating at the prospect of a larger display. These people will not wait forever and will eventually venture over to Android. Not to mention current Android owners who cite the display size as their #1 reason for choosing the phone. These people are lost to Apple until there is a larger iPhone.

As far as a source, look at the sales of larger screened phones which together outsell the iPhone. The iPhone might still beat them individually in sales but as a group the number of phones with displays larger that  4.5" passed total iPhone sales 2 years ago and the gap is widening. 

This link is from September 2012 and the gap is much wider nearly a year later. People want larger displays. Why is that so hard for some of you to understand or fathom?

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/03/android-smartphone-sales-led-by-big-screens-are-growing-everywhere-except-in-the-u-s-kantar/

• Reply 79 of 166

Vocal minority.

• Reply 80 of 166
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    gwmac wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Probably the same place they hold nearly all their big events. Moscone center. </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Bah. Yerba Buena. Moscone hasn't been used for anything but WWDC since the first iPod touch in aught seven, has it?</span>

Intel's at Moscone on September 10th-12th:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intel-developer-forum-idf/san-francisco/2013/idf-2013-san-francisco.html

Having the events on the same day would allow both Apple to launch the Mac Pro as well as other hardware and Intel to show it off with Thunderbolt 2 and the new Xeons.