Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

Comments

• Reply 21 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Having seen mockups of both (and they both look good), I'd have to say -- obviously only one data point -- that the one with the contrasting white looks classier.
    I agree with you. Having the glass be off white or more cream colored made the device look washed out and almost an antique feel to it. Also how would the white background of iOS 7 contrast to an off white or goldish colored screen?
  • Reply 22 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Waiting with baited breath.

The bait on your breath reeks; go wait somewhere else until the odor abates.

;-)

• Reply 23 of 112
    ...comes with a gold tooth.
  • Reply 24 of 112
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member

Oprah will order it , be put on back order, and call Apple racist. 

• Reply 25 of 112
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Not really, the color choice gets old really fast when you have to stare at in the background of everything you look at on the screen. 

The face of the device should always maintain a black or white background to the screen. Color is nice on the sides and back.

I disagree and think that people that would be attracted to this color would prefer a uniform color just like the white and black versions of the iPhone offer. It is all personal taste but I just don't like the contrast and see no reason why the front face has to stick with black or white. This is after all the part of your phone that you view the most and if you wanted a white iPhone why not just get one. 

Part of the problem is also just the relatively large part of the front face that is occupied at the bottom around the home button as well as at the top around the speaker and isight. It doesn't look like Apple will make any drastic changes to the case design of the next iPhone but I would like to see them shrink the amount of real estate not used by the display. The chin and forehead just occupy too much space but at least black makes it hardly noticeable and almost invisible. 

• Reply 26 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

This will swiftly become the most stolen iPhone. Looks like Lil' Wayne's mouth.

;-)

To me, the color looks more like Granny's minivan. If they do make it, I hope it looks better in person

I would like to see a copper one. Let it build up that nice patina over time. I don't know if that's even electronically do-able.

edited for spelling error.
  • Reply 27 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

This will swiftly become the most stolen iPhone. Looks like Lil' Wayne's mouth.

;-)

Let it build up that nice petina over time.

Hmmm.... does one petina a Billy Goat or patina a Billy Goat.....

• Reply 29 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hmmm.... does one petina a Billy Goat or patina a Billy Goat.....

Yes, one does...
  • Reply 30 of 112
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I doubt they'll have THREE options. Too many SKUs.

I'd imaging they'll drop the Black for the 5S (black will still be available for the 5C) and go with just Silver and Gold. Why? Two reasons:

1) iOS 7 appears to look better with a white face.

2) The black/slate shows much more scuffs than its white counterpart. This isn't just a customer satisfaction thing, but a quality control issue. Didn't we hear that a good percentage of iP5's were returned to get refinished?
  • Reply 31 of 112
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The shade of gold expected to be used in a new color option for Apple's next iPhone has been described as having an "elegant" look, not the flashy, tacky finish popular with the Escalade-driving, gold-teeth wearing, ghetto crowd.

Fixed that for you AI.  If anyone can make "gold" appear elegant and classy, it will be Apple.  It will be interesting to see how well it sells.  I give it 36 hours for Samsung to re-calibrate their copy machines to match that color. :)

• Reply 32 of 112
    rissriss Posts: 47member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.

in the words of Jack Sparrow, 'you clearly haven't been to Singapore'.... or Middle East or any Asian country - gold covers and gold plated phones are an electronic signature of social status for the rich

I would buy it, but this is on contrary a very smart move for specific markets... start countdown for Samsung and Nokia launching their own 'gold' phone

• Reply 33 of 112
    kkerstkkerst Posts: 330member
    Worst case, it doesn't sell. No big deal. Still have the white and black versions.
  • Reply 34 of 112

Honda's 'gold' was called 'Champagne Metallic' in the 90's.   I had a 94 Accord wagon, and loved the color.  Subtle, yet a beautiful hue. 

That said, I'm not fond of Apple selling anything other than 'white/silver' or black/slate, especially on a their flagship device (too many choices).   I'm hoping this shade is just one of the 5c colors.  But the '(Red)' brand served them well, with the underlying message, so I'll defer to their marketing mavens.

Just make me buy the damned thing... something that makes my 4s just melt into a pool of disgusting grey market goo in my hands during the announcement.  My wife's 5 is 'okay,' (oh that LTE is spiffy fast when it's spiffy fast), but I expect the 5s(g) to be a something that is faster than fast, lighter than light, stronger than strong, brighter than bright, harmonically harmonic, and amazing in all ways imaginable, with amazing built-in technologies that makes the lines around the Mall of America shudder in anticipation.

All that and Champagne.... yeah, I don't want much.

• Reply 35 of 112
    philboogie wrote: »
    I call prior art ¡

So Apple invented gold now? /s
  • Reply 36 of 112
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    As Long as I can get it in black I don't care.
  • Reply 37 of 112
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Color is not going to be the main selling point of this device. iOS 7 will be more important than even the scanner. Lets remember that functionality and bells and whistles are what people like the best and hopefully iOS 7 brings out the best.
  • Reply 38 of 112
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

If they want to go with a champagne gold color then go all the way. I don't like the white face. While using the phone all you would see is the white on the front which defeats the purpose of offering a new color. 

When using the phone the major color element is probably the dominant colors of the wallpaper the user chose. Especially for this implementation of iOS with it's translucent approach.

For me? My iPhone will still be bright green: the color of my Otterbox casing.

• Reply 39 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    pendergast wrote: »
    I doubt they'll have THREE options. Too many SKUs.

I'd imaging they'll drop the Black for the 5S (black will still be available for the 5C) and go with just Silver and Gold. Why? Two reasons:

1) iOS 7 appears to look better with a white face.

2) The black/slate shows much more scuffs than its white counterpart. This isn't just a customer satisfaction thing, but a quality control issue. Didn't we hear that a good percentage of iP5's were returned to get refinished?
    No way do I see Apple getting rid of the black iPhone. I'm sure they learned a lot in the manufacturing of the iPhone 5 that they can apply to the new phones. Does the slate iPad mini suffer the same scuffing issues?
  • Reply 40 of 112
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    But the '(Red)' brand served them well, with the underlying message, so I'll defer to their marketing mavens.

Yeah, but the Product (Red) is an absolutely gorgeous red. I always opt for this, if available.