Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member
    rogifan wrote: »
    When did Apple announce they were getting rid of the black iPhone? Since the black and silver iPhone designs aren't new there isn't anything to leak. Same thing about the home button, no evidence of that either. Seems to me way too many people are making assumptions before they've actually seen the products that will be for sale.

Some of the early rumors about the gold iPhone said that the gold model was replacing the black model.

But it seems now rumors are saying that the black model will probably live on as well. Let's hope it does anyway!
  • Reply 102 of 112
    blackbook wrote: »
    When did Apple announce they were getting rid of the black iPhone? Since the black and silver iPhone designs aren't new there isn't anything to leak. Same thing about the home button, no evidence of that either. Seems to me way too many people are making assumptions before they've actually seen the products that will be for sale.

Some of the early rumors about the gold iPhone said that the gold model was replacing the black model.

But it seems now rumors are saying that the black model will probably live on as well. Let's hope it does anyway!

I suspect that the 5S will be available in black, white and gold!
  • Reply 103 of 112
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

This makes no sense.

Black is the second most popular colour choice after white

In a two colour range?

Bwahahahahahahaha

• Reply 104 of 112
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Black is the second most popular colour choice after white

For the iPhone?  Not a big surprise.

• Reply 105 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ZDNet has a hit piece up on their site about the rumored "gold" iPhone. In the piece they refer to Apple as a fashion company not a tech company and sarcastically claim that the "gold" iPhone might set a new fashion trend. At the end of the piece they wonder how Apple will announce this without all the tech press in room snickering in their seats. The piece overall is a joke. But to seriously answer that question, its a color option. Schiller will announce it at the very end either before or after he talks about pricing and availability. And for all we know there might be additional metallic color options. Maybe Apple decided to leak the "gold" one because they knew it would get a lot of buzz. And they know what they've designed is going to look so much better than mockups or the visions people have in their head.
  • Reply 106 of 112
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I am curious to know what method they are using to make the champagne colour. I doubt they would be using actual gold, so I am wondering whether the process shares anything with what is described here:

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2012/10/applied-physics-art

While the article describes changing the colour of gold, I suspect this could be applied to other metals?
  • Reply 107 of 112
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So you have a pocket reserved just for your iPhone? All the time? Hmmm- OK. I guess whatever works for you. Your other pocket must be bulging then -no?

Virtually every man I know keeps his back jeans pocket allocated for his wallet. It is actually more bizarre that you would find allocating for a phone to be odd...  The reason a wallet is found in so many men's back pocket is because A) it is needed frequently, and when needed it is needed immediately, and B) it need not be in the front pocket because it is not needed THAT frequently...you want it on you but you don't want to be thinking about it all the time. Why do you find it odd that a phone, which these days is used by many people multiple times per hour, would be allocated its own pocket. More, what on earth is causing your pockets to bulge? How many little trivial things are you carrying around with you that you presume to need frequently and at any moment? If your argument is that it is odd to allocate a pocket to a phone...what random list of items are you allocating to your pockets instead? Why? You need them more than your phone?

For the record, I have never used a case, I do allocate my right pocket (I'm right handed, so...), and I use a suede jacket made specifically for the iphone (sfbags.com)...keeps the screen clean and protects against scratches.

• Reply 108 of 112
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

ZDNet has a hit piece up on their site about the rumored "gold" iPhone. In the piece they refer to Apple as a fashion company not a tech company and sarcastically claim that the "gold" iPhone might set a new fashion trend. At the end of the piece they wonder how Apple will announce this without all the tech press in room snickering in their seats. The piece overall is a joke. But to seriously answer that question, its a color option. Schiller will announce it at the very end either before or after he talks about pricing and availability. And for all we know there might be additional metallic color options. Maybe Apple decided to leak the "gold" one because they knew it would get a lot of buzz. And they know what they've designed is going to look so much better than mockups or the visions people have in their head.

I wouldn’t care too much about it.  The iPad was a joke too, but look who’s laughing now?

• Reply 109 of 112
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    ajmas wrote: »
    I am curious to know what method they are using to make the champagne colour. I doubt they would be using actual gold, so I am wondering whether the process shares anything with what is described here:

http://www.seas.harvard.edu/news/2012/10/applied-physics-art

While the article describes changing the colour of gold, I suspect this could be applied to other metals?

No. That would be very expensive.

The process is most likely an anodizing process.
    http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=anodized+aluminum+gold&qpvt=anodized+aluminum+gold&FORM=IGRE
  • Reply 110 of 112
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    I have a sister who would buy this in a heartbeat. I have a nephew who has an iPhone and uses a gold case. MG Siegler said gold is one of the most popular after market color options for the iPhone. If Apple is releasing a gold/champagne iPhone there's a reason behind it and they've done their homework on it. All the people that think this is going to be some cheap gaudy looking device obviously don't know Apple.

9to5Mac has a nice mockup of what a champagne colored iPhone might look like. I think it looks very classy.

gold.jpg

It's a nice colour. Looks warmer that metal grey. I'm apparently a bit tired with aluminium-everywhere hype (not only among Apple products), so I would consider it (if I decide to get a new iPhone)...
  • Reply 111 of 112
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    sol77 wrote: »
    Virtually every man I know keeps his back jeans pocket allocated for his wallet. It is actually more bizarre that you would find allocating for a phone to be odd...  The reason a wallet is found in so many men's back pocket is because A) it is needed frequently, and when needed it is needed immediately, and B) it need not be in the front pocket because it is not needed THAT frequently...you want it on you but you don't want to be thinking about it all the time. Why do you find it odd that a phone, which these days is used by many people multiple times per hour, would be allocated its own pocket. More, what on earth is causing your pockets to bulge? How many little trivial things are you carrying around with you that you presume to need frequently and at any moment? If your argument is that it is odd to allocate a pocket to a phone...what random list of items are you allocating to your pockets instead? Why? You need them more than your phone?

For the record, I have never used a case, I do allocate my right pocket (I'm right handed, so...), and I use a suede jacket made specifically for the iphone (sfbags.com)...keeps the screen clean and protects against scratches.
    I'm with you. Front left pocket is my phone, front right are keys, back right is wallet. What else would you have? Your a guy.,, it's not like we have baby wipes, mascara, and tampons. Maybe he does? ;)