Apple's new gold option for 'iPhone 5S' described as an 'elegant' shade of champagne

Comments

• Reply 61 of 112
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    james0378 wrote: »
    Cheap and gaudy? I think it looks pretty slick but apple is definitely capable of a cheap look. Just take a gander at the ios7 home screen. The apps are amazing but the icons are an embarrassment. They remind me of a child's toy phone. Apple does a lot of things right but the look of iOS7 could cause people to not upgrade to that OS, leave iPhone, or not buy one in the first place. If someone has never used an iPhone before and sees a gold device with cartoonish icons then they'll likely opt for an inferior product such as a Samsung or other copycat- I mean, competitor.
    I'm going to requote this when iOS 7 comes out and has the fastest adoption rate of any previous version. :D
  • Reply 62 of 112
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Some people claim that the gold color is particularly attractive in China.

If Apple sells a lot of golden iPhones, in China or US, Samsung will make a golden smartphone very soon.

• Reply 63 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

Yeah, but the Product (Red) is an absolutely gorgeous red. I always opt for this, if available.

And I always thought red meant power but seriously, red looks great on the products Apple gives you the option for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red

• Reply 64 of 112
    rissriss Posts: 47member

@AI, @Sam Oliver if you insist on showing the renders, at least show the 'correct' renders with expected dual flash :)

• Reply 65 of 112
    fazzterfazzter Posts: 120member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by james0378 View Post

Cheap and gaudy? I think it looks pretty slick but apple is definitely capable of a cheap look. Just take a gander at the ios7 home screen. The apps are amazing but the icons are an embarrassment. They remind me of a child's toy phone. Apple does a lot of things right but the look of iOS7 could cause people to not upgrade to that OS, leave iPhone, or not buy one in the first place. If someone has never used an iPhone before and sees a gold device with cartoonish icons then they'll likely opt for an inferior product such as a Samsung or other copycat- I mean, competitor.

I'm going to requote this when iOS 7 comes out and has the fastest adoption rate of any previous version. image

Fastest adoption rate in history won't change the crappy icons and colors they chose for ios7 now will it? They could have done much better imo.

• Reply 66 of 112
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

key point... 

SKU (more configuration) compressing is always something to consider in Apple's world.  Every language and memory config drives a SKU, but if there are only 3 colors wrapping around 2 phones (x 3 mem configs)[18], that's better than 2 colors wrapping 4(x 3mem configs) phones[24].  Less testing variance, less government/carrier certification, smaller supply chain, bigger volume discounts. 

also a reason for them to consider retiring the 5 for the 5c  (universal radio), and keep the 4s around (because, there are some organizations/carriers that actually 'require' a particular configuration, and if the 4s is already certified, they can keep it around a bit longer, since they know it works.  Yes, the 5 could do the same, but I'm thinking 30-pin connector (hey... Gov't contracts... gotta support a contracted HW config for 5-7 years).

Exactly. That is why it is all the more frustrating to read dozens of articles discussing the shade of gold that will be used and other relatively unimportant details and almost nothing about the new radio that will be used. A universal radio would open to the door selling the iPhone to EVERY single customer in the world regardless if their carrier has a contract with Apple or not as long as they would activate it on their networks. They would have little reason not to activate an iPhone if it is compatible and the customer buys it themselves. We are talking about another 2 billion or more potential customers for Apple and yet you hardly hear a peep about this. 

Maybe Apple is purposely leaking unimportant details like a new color or fingerprint scanner so they can keep the real shocker about a universal radio secret for the time being. Leak the fluff but keep the real news secret. Sure all the other companies will offer it as well eventually but Samsung are selling their phones in every country already so this won't help them very much if any. But having to compete against Apple in markets that were previously exclusive to Android will be a real game changer in my opinion. 

• Reply 67 of 112

• Reply 68 of 112
    nikilok wrote: »
    Still looks to me like a lady gaga color. Might sell well in some countries like Dubai maybe were gold relates to glamour & glitz :)

Mmm... maybe the color of ground rhinoceros horn would be popular in certain area of the world ;)
  • Reply 69 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by bobborries View Post

It wants its subject-verb agreement back. image

That brownish-black, though; that brings back memories.

• Reply 70 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetlaw View Post

If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.

If THAT "delights the customer", so what??   /s

• Reply 71 of 112
    rogifan wrote: »
    jetlaw wrote: »
    If this is true, I would make it "Exhibit A" in the case that Apple is losing is its design sensibilities.
    I have a sister who would buy this in a heartbeat. I have a nephew who has an iPhone and uses a gold case. MG Siegler said gold is one of the most popular after market color options for the iPhone. If Apple is releasing a gold/champagne iPhone there's a reason behind it and they've done their homework on it. All the people that think this is going to be some cheap gaudy looking device obviously don't know Apple.

9to5Mac has a nice mockup of what a champagne colored iPhone might look like. I think it looks very classy.

There are come very creative things that can be done using different colors of "gold".

1000  1000

Also, a case could contain other natural substances such as wood, jade, turquoise, etc.

I once saw a trumpet that was made using multiple colors of gold -- it was beautiful!
  • Reply 72 of 112
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I find the white glass on the champagne gold body a bit jarring, I think an ivory shade might look better. A subtle champagne gold was a popular shade for high-end Japanese hifi in the 80s and early 90s. Some high-end Japanese hifi brands still offer the option - it isn't all that bad. Also as rogifan mentioned here 9to5Mac's mockup of such an iPhone looked quite good.
  • Reply 73 of 112
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Lots of people in the Bay Area like that color of gold.

[IMG]http://www.americansportscollectibles.com/images/helmets/sf-49ers-authentic.jpg[/IMG]
  • Reply 74 of 112
    disturbia wrote: »
    Gold? No, thanks! LOL
    Um... I am sure they'll have it in your color of choice.

Like Harry Solomon on 3rd rock from the sun -- my favorite color is clear.
  • Reply 75 of 112
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

I find the white glass on the champagne gold body a bit jarring, I think an ivory shade might look better. A subtle champagne gold was a popular shade for high-end Japanese hifi in the 80s and early 90s. Some high-end Japanese hifi brands still offer the option - it isn't all that bad. Also as rogifan mentioned here 9to5Mac's mockup of such an iPhone looked quite good.

Yes I used to have a Denon receiver that was a goldish color and I liked it very much. 

• Reply 76 of 112
    visualzone wrote: »
    Why not have the iphone any colour you want and have it now? But if it's gold you want try here:

http://www.truevalue.com/product/12-oz-Pure-Gold-Metallic-Spray-Paint/47036.uts

How about Zolatone or plaid :D
  • Reply 77 of 112
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

... I'd imaging they'll drop the Black for the 5S (black will still be available for the 5C) ...

This makes no sense.

Black is the second most popular colour choice after white, and there is no evidence so far they are making a black iPhone 5c either.  

Personally, I'm starting to have severe doubts about this years phone choices from Apple.  A gold iPhone is still a bit tacky even if it's "champagne" and the latest on the fingerprint sensor indicates they are changing the shape of the home button from concave to flat which seems like an awful idea.  Neither of these choices seem worth it in terms of the damage they do to the overall iPhone design to implement them.  For me, this could be the first year I don't upgrade to the new phone.  I'd pick the 5c if it came in a nice colour but it doesn't. 

• Reply 78 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

So you have a pocket reserved just for your iPhone? All the time? Hmmm- OK. I guess whatever works for you. Your other pocket must be bulging then -no?

I have a nice slim case for my black iPhone which I keep in one certain pants pocket. It's silly to put other objects in the same pocket because the iPhone alone is enough. My other pockets don't bulge because I have the good sense to not carry a whole lot of shit around with me unless it's in my briefcase.

I carry a card sleeve wallet by Bellroy and a few lose bills. I'm not going on a 10 day survival course. 

• Reply 79 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Like Harry Solomon on 3rd rock from the sun -- my favorite color is clear.

A completely clear case, so you could marvel at the compact packaging would be sooooo cool!

• Reply 80 of 112
    I haven't seen anyone mention this...

Beginning with the iPhone 1, I always bought the largest storage option.

We all have 64 GB iPad 2 or newer (2 adults and 3 kids).

Last time I bought new iPhones (4, 4S and 5) for the grandkids I bought the smallest storage options -- considering that we all have the largest iPads to contain all their apps. The grandkids are only allowed to run anything that accesses the web if they are running over WiFi. Minimal storage on the iPhones tends to fortify this policy.

This time I will likely buy a personal iPhone 5S with minimum storage -- All the apps I run are on my iPad and I take it wherever I go -- so I have no need for the extra storage.