Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    jragosta wrote: »
    That's not true. They have some great candidates under consideration:
    http://scoopertino.com/that-was-fast-microsoft-announces-ceo-short-list/

LOL. That's an awesome site BTW.
  • Reply 82 of 113
    abazigal wrote: »
    What I don't get is Microsoft's continued insistence that a tablet is simply another PC in a different form factor, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Lack of imagination. Let's face it, Microsoft is stubborn. And in the past, it has usually worked, so their operating strategy has been: put their version out there and wait for the competition to slip up. Worked against IBM, Lotus, Borland, Netscape, Sun, Palm, Sony Computer Entertainment, etc. Ballmer defined his 30-year career at Microsoft on the "wait for the other guy to choke" strategy, and it's the only play he knows. It's only in the last decade or so where their competitors have managed to not make mistakes that let Microsoft win: Apple in the iPod, music sales, and mobile business and Google in the search, advertising, and mobile business.

Ballmer also believes that Microsoft's assets should be leveraged, which is why they'd rather Windows-ize tablets (or tablet-ize Windows) rather than build something that is a pure tablet device, like the Courier concept. If Microsoft's tablet strategy had to start from scratch and build a new platform from the ground up, as they did with Windows Phone after Windows Mobile collapsed, they knew they'd have to claw their way back from 0% marketshare instead of riding the Windows 7 upgrade gravy train to instant installed base, whether installed on touch-capable tablets, convertibles, or standard desktop PCs. All so they could fast track their way to victory in the "tablet wars."

So taken together, it doesn't surprise me that they are still pushing Windows for Pen Computing Tablet PC UMPC Surface Pro. Any other strategy would be taking a real risk maybe even inventing something new, something that Microsoft and their army of "embrace, extend, extinguish"-tuned developers aren't culturally geared for.
  • Reply 83 of 113

Excellent video - thanks for the view! Unfortunately, YouTube seems to have pulled the video preceding it, so I can't compare, but the quality of the video and the story it tells show us that Apple cares just as much about their message as they do about their product, and it's the caring that makes Apple so different from almost all their peers. I qualify that statement only because I know some companies aside from Apple do care, but you usually only find that kind of genuine caring about customer, product and message in start-ups and small companies, a quality that is remarkable in a company the size of Apple.

What made Steve Jobs so great wasn't his technical genius - though he surrounded himself with it - or what most of us think of as business savvy though his instincts proved to be the most savvy of any CEO in America's corporate history. What made him - and the companies he worked with - great, was his level of caring for both the products and the customer, and how that translated through those companies into the products that we care about, be it Toy Story or iPhone. This not something that business schools or Wall Street are equipped to understand.

This is the legacy and the culture that Apple must continue to truly succeed. It's not about market share or earnings or the opinions of pundits. Focussing on these metrics takes away from the real story, and may be why many of Apple's critics miss the point.

Sure, Apple has to keep making money. There are many paths they could take to ensure that happens, and only time can tell which paths they will follow, it is the concern and care for whatever they create and the customer experience that makes Apple not just the company that they are, but the company that will continue to succeed for the foreseeable future.

Any textbook comparison of Apple versus its rivals, like MS, Google, Samsung et al., cannot reveal this difference. It is difficult to see these qualities in these other companies, or even, imagine it.

Cheers,

thx

• Reply 84 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don108 View Post

"Struggling." Yeah, that's what we'll call it, "struggling." That way we don't have to use words like disastrous, failed, embarrassing, catastrophic, dreadful, humiliating, ruinous, calamitous, terrible, dire, disgraceful, or shameful.

After laying this steaming pile of poo on the market, I'd be surprised if the board would allow Ballmer an okay to lay an updated coil of crap out there. Then when the new CEO hits the deck, it would surprise me if the new guy wanted to start his/her MS legacy by trying to get into a shitting contest with the previous CEO. Maybe the new CEO will elect to move ahead on the vapor hardware; MS Watch. They could take pre-orders and avoid having excess inventory. Then, in several years when they are ready to ship - with some of the pre-announced features missing, it will be a limited hit among the build-it-yourself crowd who will want to root it and make it into something it could have been.

• Reply 85 of 113
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverByThere View Post

Surely Cmd+C & Cmd+V ;)?

Ctrl would have been correct. That is the reason it would break the keyboard, because he was referring to a PC keyboard.

• Reply 86 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAKings33 View Post

1. Windows works fine with a touch screen, the addition of a Wacom stylus / active digitizer can also allow you do use advanced / complex programs with ease.

2. Refer to #1.

3. Surface Pro is running full Windows 8 on x86 hardware, it can run all legacy applications. Steam, Photoshop, AutoCAD, etc. it will run it.

4. Apps? Again it's a fully capable Windows computer, it has more software than OS X or iOS. 

5. Media? It's a fully capable PC, use anyone's services you want.

The failure of the device was the low battery and large body. For that reason it failed as a tablet or a laptop.

Haswell Y-series is a fix for higher end tablets (from Microsoft or any other hardware company).

Haswell wont fix any issues for Microsoft, coz the software itself isn't optimized to be an efficent OS for lower power devices. When hardware improves in the industry Apple tablets would get lighter and thinner (They can afford doing that coz they got a streamlined OS). So when Microsoft figures out how to reduce the size and better battery the competiton would have done so 4X times better. You just cant stuff Windows thats created for Desktop into a Tablet. It's the achillis heel of Surface.

• Reply 87 of 113
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    lakings33 wrote: »
    Another user understood my post just fine.

Haswell Y-series is not Bay Trail.  Don't confuse the two like you just have.

Clover Trail already has a 10 hour battery life inside a form factor thinner and lighter than an iPad 4.  Bay Trail will be replacing Clover Trail and offering a massive boost in performance.

Haswell Y-series will offer a higher level of performance in a fanless chassis, but it will not be as thin and light as an ARM or Bay Trail tablet.

There is no marketing to fall for here, the reality is that this hardware exists and will make a reasonable difference in the market. 

On a side note I'm not basing my post off of speculation for a new Surface Pro.  The hardware I've discussed will be in devices from all hardware manufacturers. 

Interesting stuff, which sort of highlights the advantage that Apple has over much of the competition: they're masters of the platform switch and they're not at all proud.

I would guess that with their own in-house design team, the expertise at ARM; the ability to optimise their software to their processors; the resources they pour into battery technology, screen tech and memory optimisation they are in a position to match any Intel based tablet once it's in the user's hands. The processor chassis is only part of the story.

And if they can't, they'll simply switch to Intel.
  • Reply 88 of 113
    jragosta wrote: »
    That doesn't make any sense. I use my MacBook Pro in my lap all the time. I used to use an HP laptop in my lap all the time. And the touchscreen on a laptop makes it worse.

Please explain to me how using the Surface Pro as a laptop (with its flimsy keyboard that's not connected all the time and which requires a kickstand to hold the screen up) is easier than using a conventional laptop where the screen and keyboard are attached and the screen stays in place without a kickstand.
    Easy you want to use it on your lap, you take the keyboard off and use the screen.
  • Reply 89 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

Interesting stuff, which sort of highlights the advantage that Apple has over much of the competition: they're masters of the platform switch and they're not at all proud.

I would guess that with their own in-house design team, the expertise at ARM; the ability to optimise their software to their processors; the resources they pour into battery technology, screen tech and memory optimisation they are in a position to match any Intel based tablet once it's in the user's hands. The processor chassis is only part of the story.

And if they can't, they'll simply switch to Intel.

Considering iOS is heavily invested in ARM, switching to an x86 Intel SoC would not be 'simple' task.

• Reply 90 of 113
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Considering iOS is heavily invested in ARM, switching to an x86 Intel SoC would not be 'simple' task.

Apple is going 64 bit ARM probably next year is my guess.  There are rumors the new iPhone 5C might have a 64 Bit processor, but I don't know if that's true or not, nothing was mentioned at WWDC for 64 bit in iOS, so we'll see what the actual product is.

Maybe Apple has figured out a way to run 32 bit OS and apps on a 64 bit processor in the mean time, but be able to upgrade to 64 bit OS/apps later.

I think the transition to 64 bit is when we are going to see a lot of advancements, especially in the iPad apps.

It's going to be interesting to see how the transition is made.

The other aspect is the controller chip for NAND storage. Since they bought Anobit, I'm sure they use that technology in the SoC design, which they can do things that Intel processors can't do as well.  I think that's why we are seeing faster SSD in the MBA and new MacPro system, and I'm sure all of the new product announcements this year will get faster SSD storage.

• Reply 91 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

There are rumors the new iPhone 5C might have a 64 Bit processor, but I don't know if that's true or not, nothing was mentioned at WWDC for 64 bit in iOS, so we'll see what the actual product is.

I would take that with a grain of salt.  ARMv8 (which includes Cortex A53 / A57) still hasn't been used in a consumer product, and last I heard will only make it to market early 2014.  AMD's 64-bit ARM based cores are due in 2014 and NVIDIA's are set for a 2015 release.

• Reply 92 of 113

Quote:

I would take that with a grain of salt.  ARMv8 (which includes Cortex A53 / A57) still hasn't been used in a consumer product, and last I heard will only make it to market early 2014.  AMD's 64-bit ARM based cores are due in 2014 and NVIDIA's are set for a 2015 release.

Well, in case you haven't noticed, we are heading into late 2013, so 2014 is right around the corner.  From what I read, it is possible that Apple could announce these chips this year.  Don't be surprised if they do.

No one outside of specific group of people know the specs of the next processors Apple is releasing.

Just because Nvidia and AMD won't release theirs until next year doesn't mean Apple has to wait for them.  Apple introduced chips using more advanced GPUs before the rest, so they have made announcements that were ahead of the competition.  

So, don't look at others to think that Apple has to wait for them.  That's Apple's advantage of not relying on others for ARM chip designs.

• Reply 93 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, in case you haven't noticed, we are heading into late 2013, so 2014 is right around the corner.  From what I read, it is possible that Apple could announce these chips this year.  Don't be surprised if they do.

No one outside of specific group of people know the specs of the next processors Apple is releasing.

Just because Nvidia and AMD won't release theirs until next year doesn't mean Apple has to wait for them.  Apple introduced chips using more advanced GPUs before the rest, so they have made announcements that were ahead of the competition.  

So, don't look at others to think that Apple has to wait for them.  That's Apple's advantage of not relying on others for ARM chip designs.

NVIDIA and AMD are just examples.  ARM's 64-bit Cortex A53 and Cortex A57 have not yet been demonstrated in a consumer grade SoC.

In May, LG became ARM's lead partner for their Cortex A50 series.  They will likely be the first company to use a 64-bit Cortex A53 or A57.

• Reply 94 of 113

Quote:

NVIDIA and AMD are just examples.  ARM's 64-bit Cortex A53 and Cortex A57 have not yet been demonstrated in a consumer grade SoC.

In May, LG became ARM's lead partner for their Cortex A50 series.  They will likely be the first company to use a 64-bit Cortex A53 or A57.

Apple's has been using ARM since the 80's.

ARM lead partner.   Does that mean they'll be first out of the gate?  NO. 

It only means something if they can get the design they want to mfg with proper yields.

All i know is what the rumors mentioned and that Apple has product announcements in 10 days.

I'm sure we'll all find out in 10 days what Apple is releasing.  Until then, it's all speculation.

• Reply 95 of 113

Hi. I'm an apple man, have been for over ten years, but I really like the surface. Yes, I'm in the minority here but I prefer the surface much more than my previous iPhone and IPad experiences. I don't know why there is so much hate b\c I think competition is great, but make no mistake I love my surface, I liked my iPad. I could enumerate the many reasons why, but im sure most of us apple fans don't care. :).

I think the major strategic flaw with Microsoft was that initial ad campaign and limiting sales to Microsoft stores and online only. Too late now, but let's watch what happens next with reduced pricing.

Sent via dictation on my Microsoft surface.

• Reply 96 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tron1982 View Post

Hi. I'm an apple man, have been for over ten years, but I really like the surface. Yes, I'm in the minority here but I prefer the surface much more than my previous iPhone and IPad experiences. I don't know why there is so much hate b\c I think competition is great, but make no mistake I love my surface, I liked my iPad. I could enumerate the many reasons why, but im sure most of us apple fans don't care. :).

I think the major strategic flaw with Microsoft was that initial ad campaign and limiting sales to Microsoft stores and online only. Too late now, but let's watch what happens next with reduced pricing.

Sent via dictation on my Microsoft surface.

It's the not the ad campaign that was the problem.  Which surface did you get?  The RT or Pro?

• Reply 97 of 113
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    richsadams wrote: »
    A Woot! deal on Surface tablets can't be far off boys and girls.

2rm6o36.jpg

Steve Ballmer doing a late night infomercial on HSN.
  • Reply 98 of 113

they should re-name the surface to "zune"

• Reply 99 of 113
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member

Quote:

No, but neither was developing the same OS for multiple hardware architectures, as NeXT did.  Nor was switching Mac users from Classic to OS X and PowerPC to Intel.  Apple has managed a number of very complex hardware transitions rather smoothly.  If they really wanted to switch from ARM to Intel, they could.  But why would they?  There's no incentive.

• Reply 100 of 113

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lonely Platforms

Ah, look at all the lonely platforms 

Larry and Sergey, building a search that would be the new standard for years, 

Nobody feared 

Schmidt came along and bought an OS, I confess, made it just like Apple's 

Talk about bull

All the lonely platforms 

To whom are they all sold? 

All the lonely platforms

Hey, are they even sold? 

Steven A. Ballmer, starting from scratch on their phones with a batch of new code

Developers. 

Not skeuomorphic, trimmed it right down to just primary colors and squares 

What does he care? 

All the lonely platforms 

To whom are they all sold?

All the lonely platforms 

Hey, are they even sold?

Research in Motion, dying off slowly by changing its name and its brand

Still rather bland 

Hedging their bets with piggybacking Android app compatibility

… Really? 

All the lonely platforms (ah, look at all the lonely platforms) 

To whom are they all sold…  

All the lonely platforms (ah, look at all the lonely platforms) 

Hey, are they even sold…

LOL/// that`s interesting~!