Apple's iPhone grows to 43% share among US smartphones

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

This is why i think I'm becoming stupid.

Bigger phones with twice the battery life of the iphone : check (Note, Maxx, etc)

Bigger phones with similar or better build quality: check (htc one)

Bigger phones with great looks: check (htc one, Moto X)

Bigger phones with screens better than the one used on the iphone on every metric: check (htc one)

Phones just a bit bigger with much bigger screens: check.

What's missing?

I really hope that they are waiting for something to regain better-screen status, like IGZO and leading materials, like liquidmetal.

What are the tradeoffs, again?

Here's what you're missing:

One, those phones aren't exactly tearing up the sales charts.  Not even the One, which granted is a pretty nice phone (though I've only ever seen one).

Two, Apple tried this approach -- just make lots of stuff and see what sells -- before.  It did NOT work out well.  It was one of the first things Jobs addressed when he returned.

Three, since then, Apple's approach has been to have a very limited number of products, and to focus on that limited product line.

Four, there are different approaches in business.  Trying to appeal to everyone (GM: from Chevy to Cadillac; or Samsung are good examples) is one.  There is another, where a company identifies its market, creates a limited number of products to appeal to that market (BMW and Apple are good examples).

Finally, to be honest, we've gotten to the point with "screen metrics" that we long ago reached with internal components for desktop and notebook machines: Few people have both the experience and eyesight to determine any difference.  Your average consumer doesn't want to be involved in a "mine is bigger than yours" battle.  She wants a phone she likes, can use, and probably one that fits the ecosystem into which she's already bought (assuming that's the case in the first place).

• Reply 82 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I must insist that iPhone market share will never gain ground on Android OS market share. Android OS is supposedly the finest OS in the world because it's the one that nearly everyone is using. It is called the poor man's OS because it was given for free from Google. iOS is a walled garden and everyone hates walled gardens. Besides, why buy an iPhone when you can buy a $50 Android smartphone that's just as good as the most expensive iPhone?

One more thing. The iPhone has a tiny display which they say is nearly unreadable. Most humans can only see text on a 4.7" display or larger. I believe it's a human deficiency to be unable to read anything on a 4" display. This is the main reason why pundits are saying the next iPhone will be a huge failure. Small displays mean small sales. Every Android vendor in the world has a large display smartphone and supposedly that's why Android has 80% of the global smartphone market. 80% of the world needs a smartphone with a larger display. Phablets are the new standard in smartphones.

/s

I must insist that you have a tendency to confuse your opinion with fact. More people use Android because their phones cost between $50 - $100, that doesn't make it the finest OS in the world. Not everyone hates the wall gardner approach, though certainly many do. I'd like you to point out a single $50 Android phone that is as good as the iPhone 5.

Personally I do not have much problem reading text on my iPhone 5; however I would prefer a larger screen. If the iPhone 6 is mot larger I'll likely switch to Android or Windows. Where did you read that humans cannot read anything on a 4" display? If this is true then perhaps I'm a super hero or something as I have no problem. I believe that worldwide the majoity of Android phones are 4" or less in size. Where's your evidence that Phablets are the new standard? I see a lot of Android phones smaller than 4.5" being sold.

• Reply 83 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerilos View Post

I must insist that you have a tendency to confuse your opinion with fact. More people use Android because their phones cost between $50 - $100, that doesn't make it the finest OS in the world. Not everyone hates the wall gardner approach, though certainly many do. I'd like you to point out a single $50 Android phone that is as good as the iPhone 5.

Personally I do not have much problem reading text on my iPhone 5; however I would prefer a larger screen. If the iPhone 6 is mot larger I'll likely switch to Android or Windows. Where did you read that humans cannot read anything on a 4" display? If this is true then perhaps I'm a super hero or something as I have no problem. I believe that worldwide the majoity of Android phones are 4" or less in size. Where's your evidence that Phablets are the new standard? I see a lot of Android phones smaller than 4.5" being sold.

Note the "/s" at the end.  He was being sarcastic.

• Reply 84 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcfa View Post

- Germany has many tinkerers, and Android phones are easier to tinker with than Apple's iOS prison.

The moment Apple gives the OWNER root access to the phone, there'll be another, minor bump.

Prison? I see this more of a secure gated community, and I prefer that. 

Out of real curiosity, what would you want to tinker with? 

• Reply 85 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

I used an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5 with all different iOS versions. I see no way where iOS is better than Android...The fact that iTunes is needed for every single small thing you want to do on your phone is a hassle.

You've never owned any iPhone and obviously know nothing about iOS or iOS-based devices.

Why lie?

• Reply 86 of 92

Quote:

Motorola managed to cram a 4.3 or 4.5 display on a phone that has the same dimensions has an iPhone.

No, they didn't.

Don't make things up, Pedro.

• Reply 87 of 92

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

You've never owned any iPhone and obviously know nothing about iOS or iOS-based devices.

Why lie?

Heh. :)

Yeah, I don't get it either.  Why just start making things up?  It's bizarre behavior.

• Reply 88 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by s.ballmer View Post

Quote:

Motorola managed to cram a 4.3 or 4.5 display on a phone that has the same dimensions has an iPhone.

No, they didn't.

Don't make things up, Pedro.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_m_xt905-4974.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_i_xt890-4998.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_5-4910.php

Will you please take that back?

• Reply 89 of 92

No, Pedro, I won't—those phones are wider, thicker, and heavier than the iPhone 5., i.e. approximately 13.1% larger by volume and 12.5% heavier by weight.

Also, those slightly larger screens on the Motorola phones have significantly lower resolution.

• Reply 90 of 92

Same dimensions + larger screen ??????????? same experience. 

• Reply 91 of 92
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfergenson View Post

I live in the United States but I spent a few months working in Basel, Switzerland. What I found was that with the smaller countries in Europe you spend a lot of time roaming and your data plan doesn't typically work when you do. My iPhone is wonderful in the US where I always have access to data. In Europe, I wouldn't consider it worth the money to spend more for a better phone since it's hamstrung by the service half the time.

The service and the roaming are not the issue. Europeans solve that by happily swapping a few SIM cards around. But that's where the issue starts: it means you need an open, unlocked phone, which means you're likely have to pay the full monty when you buy your phone and thus you're not living in the illusion that an iPhone "only costs $99 or $199". Of course, you also don't pay the ridiculous mobile contracts that are common in the US that hide the true costs of an iPhone and stupid consumers in the US simply accept as a given. For what I pay close to $100/month in the US, I pay less than €20 (something like $25) here in Austria, a bit more in Germany, but still a fraction of what I pay for US mobile service.

For the price difference between a cheap Android phone and a higher-end iPhone, I can easily book a one week vacation for two somewhere in Europe. Anyone who's not flush with money and not a complete moron will choose a vacation (read: real life experience) over a better phone (some bragging rights), unless that phone's extra features are critical to daily operations; and for most people that's just not the case.

I think the iPhone 5C, if it comes in at a low enough price point, will be a game changer in that regards, because the massive price difference between feature-phone-replacement Android phones and some iPhone will shrink sufficiently to attract an entirely new chunk of the market; and the colors will make the phone a lot more attractive as a fashion accessory. If you think that everyone who wants to color their phone now spends an extra $30 for some sort of bumper/case just to make it fit with their sneakers or handbag or car or whatever, and now they can save that money and pay less for a cheaper phone, the entry price for a color coordinated fashionable phone just dropped significantly.
  • Reply 92 of 92
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

excuses.. excuses.

Of course the iPhone would hold more share as one type of device when Apple gives iPhone 4's out for free on contract, discounts the 4S to $49 and sells the iPhone 5 for $99 on contract for the past few months.. bottom line, Android is at 51pct vs. Apple's 43pct, and that is only in the US. The Android lead globally vs. the iPhone is HUGE. and majority are Cricket and Boost Mobile phones? there have been at least 100M devices sold of the Xperia Z, Galaxy S4 and HTC One (the three latest Android flagship phones) in 2013. Apple is losing iPhone customers left and right. I had an iPhone 3G, 4 and 5. I sold the 5, got an S4, and I am never buying another Apple product EVER.

I've got an iPhone 5 and an S4, the S4 is a POS, I had to buy a memory card because of it's pitiful lack of memory, it's nothing special most of the half baked "features"  as shown in ads work poorly, that bump stuff is stupid you can't even transfer a photo from a Nokia 925 to the S4 because every fricking thing is doubled up, Google version Samsung version, the free translator App I got on my iPhone runs rings around S-translate, this thing STILL lags especially the camera and to top it off the free Navigon maps don't even know where my house is.

I would never buy one of these things, next time I'm offered one as a gift I'll probably turn it down because it's annoying, boring and bland.

What's the go with the BORING BLACK BACKGROUND?