Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 154
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The new smart watch features a metal face and buckle, a departure from Samsung's usual reliance on plastic. The wrist bands on the device are adjustable and come in an array of colors.

Inside, Gear has 4GB of storage to store pictures and other content, including apps, of which Samsung says there are more than 70 for the device. Samsung says the watch has a 315mAh battery that will last for more than 25 hours on a charge.

The device has a number of other features, including a built-in camera with a 1.9MP resolution. It also has a built-in speaker allowing users to conduct hands-free calls and to draft messages and memos using Samsung's S Voice assistant. According to Samsung, these actions can be performed without touching the screen.

The design itself doesn't look too bad from Samsung. I honestly expected less from them. This ain't bad.

The 4GB storage and 25 hour battery life is pretty good too. Good job if that turns out to be true.

Now here comes the lack of focus part, along with a few WTF's.

The device has a camera? Why? How does that affect battery life. But then again why?

A built in speaker? IMO flying a little too close to the sun. Talk to your watch?

That last paragraph quoted above, shows the lack of focus part that all manufacturers not named "Apple" suffer from.

I, on the other hand, as a runner and a cyclist, can not wait for Apple's creation. I bet the functionality will be totally different from this and the design much more desirable.

• Reply 42 of 154
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arbiter8 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

The method of charging using the included case is extremely odd and the fact that it only works with other Samsung devices is also a very risky move for them.  I also read that while the battery life is rumored at 25+ hours that the watches on display at their conference are showing anything near those numbers.

Wait, are you saying to charge it you have to plug it into another device? I guess the picture does suggest that. If so that is hilarious!

Yup, according to Android Police you have to put a case on the watch in order to plug in a micro USB to charge it.  On the left is the case and on the right is the watch inside it's charging case.

• Reply 43 of 154
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    It's absolutely copying Apple. The rumor that Apple is working on an iWatch has been around for a year. Samsung is doing this for one reason and one reason only, to be able to say they were first to market. Yes, it is ALL about copying Apple's karma.

It's not quite so simple. Samsung bought a company which makes watch technology a year ago. So they may well have had an interest before the rumor mill really started gaining traction.
  • Reply 44 of 154

Digital watches - how exciting!

You'll forgive me if I keep my Breitling!

• Reply 45 of 154
    What samsung does is just copy apple nothing else. If apple woundnt have come with iphone all this mobile phone company will be charging consumers with rubbish devices.thanks a lot to apple for bringing innovation and giving customers the best product.Samsung devices is like someone having a vauxhall car and iphone is like someone having a rollsroyce or a merc.
  • Reply 46 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It's absolutely copying Apple. The rumor that Apple is working on an iWatch has been around for a year. Samsung is doing this for one reason and one reason only, to be able to say they were first to market. Yes, it is ALL about copying Apple's karma.

You think they threw together a smartwatch in a year after hearing a rumor of an Apple iWatch?  You have to learn a thing or two about marketing new products.  Physical and software design processes aside, they have to create a new assembly line.   They can't just put their Galaxy phone line into watch mode.  That can take a year in and of itself depending on how flexible their factories are.

• Reply 47 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

The watch is nearly 1/2 inch thick and has flat-head screws on the front. From an aesthetic and battery life point of view it seems like something from the 1990's.

Yes, but look at the "specs"!  It's all about "specs"! 

And Sammy was FIRST!

Nevermind that they are clueless when it comes to style until they have someone to COPY.

• Reply 48 of 154
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

How is it copying if Apple hasn't made one? It's a dumb idea, yes. But copying? No.

Maybe "copying" is not the right word, but there is a pattern here.

When Apple was rumored to be working on a tablet and registered the "iSlate.com" domain... MS outdid itself to show off a non-working HP thing, astonishingly called Slate PC and "leaked" some Courier videos, which they later played down. Of course, Apple did not use the "Slate" name and released something quite different.

When Apple was rumored to build a TV product, all industry shows all of a sudden were about "Smart TVs" (Samsung running up front), all of them are junk and nobody really demands them. What Apple will do, is still unknown.

Since Apple is rumored to build a watch and registered "iWatch" domains, everybody tries to be first and releases whatever junk they can glue together in no time.

Chances are that Apple's product will not be called iWatch, or even be a "watch" in any conventional sense. Why end skeuomorphism in the OS, and then use an old-technology metaphor for something that is not primarily a watch? I won't say impossible, but it wouldn't be consistent either.

So, it may not be "copying", but it definitely is taking Apple rumors and  jumping on them like headless chicken. It is more amusing than annoying.

• Reply 49 of 154
    Wow! Absolutely wow! Real game changers indeed! I'm starting to believe the media that samsung is out innovating Apple, lol
  • Reply 50 of 154
    so Apple clearly got OWNED today..
  • Reply 51 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Why the hell is AI wasting such space on Samsung? Is this now SamsungInsider?

That watch reminds me of something the character "Steve Austin" would wear in "The Six Million Dollar Man" TV show in the 70's. Talk about gaudy!!

I guess now AI has to accommodate the whiny Fandroid members now. :/

Talking of Steve Austin, the speaker at the show reminded me of a thinner version of him.

They choose to use this clown to host the show.

• Reply 52 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gusy32 View Post

Wow! Absolutely wow! Real game changers indeed! I'm starting to believe the media that samsung is out innovating Apple, lol

if you watched the entire Unpacked event like I did.. you would know that this was truly an innovative day in the tech world. Samsung has done it again. The Next Big Thing is here.. once again!

• Reply 53 of 154
    Those massive screwheads... Oof!
  • Reply 54 of 154

The multitasking feature is nothing to scoff at, assuming implementation is good. It gives stronger rationalization to the large Note screen.

It makes you wonder if this is coming to iOS (at least the tablets) next year.

• Reply 55 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nikilok View Post

Talking of Steve Austin, the speaker at the show reminded me of a thinner version of him.

They choose to use this clown to host the show.

so he's a clown because he helped introduce two REVOLUTIONARY products today? You Apple fanboys really are ridiculous. You know what's going to look like a clown? That Non-Innovative iPhone launch on the 10th.

• Reply 56 of 154
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

Physical and software design processes aside, they have to create a new assembly line.   They can't just put their Galaxy phone line into watch mode.  That can take a year in and of itself depending on how flexible their factories are.

For companies like Foxconn or Pegatron? Three months max.

(Jobs was famous for making severe product tweaks until the last minute, somehow assembly lines could cope with that as well.)

• Reply 57 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deepen03 View Post

so he's a clown because he helped introduce two REVOLUTIONARY products today? You Apple fanboys really are ridiculous. You know what's going to look like a clown? That Non-Innovative iPhone launch on the 10th.

The Gear is a dud - poorly executed, IMO.

The Note 3 is a decent step up from the Note 2. As mentioned above, the multitasking feature is *noteworthy*. But revolutionary? Now that's serious marketing *spin*. :)

• Reply 58 of 154

Just occurred to me why the watch by Sammy is so thick... it's not just a watch, it's also a microwave oven!

• Reply 59 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Gimme a break dude. As much as I hate Samsung in this instance they are in NO WAY "Copying Apple". :no:

• Reply 60 of 154
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    Maybe "copying" is not the right word, but there is a pattern here.

When Apple was rumored to be working on a tablet and registered the "iSlate.com" domain... MS outdid itself to show off a non-working HP thing, astonishingly called Slate PC and "leaked" some Courier videos, which they later played down. Of course, Apple did not use the "Slate" name and released something quite different.

When Apple was rumored to build a TV product, all industry shows all of a sudden were about "Smart TVs" (Samsung running up front), all of them are junk and nobody really demands them. What Apple will do, is still unknown.

Since Apple is rumored to build a watch and registered "iWatch" domains, everybody tries to be first and releases whatever junk they can glue together in no time.

Chances are that Apple's product will not be called iWatch, or even be a "watch" in any conventional sense. Why end skeuomorphism in the OS, and then use an old-technology metaphor for something that is not primarily a watch? I won't say impossible, but it wouldn't be consistent either.

So, it may not be "copying", but it definitely is taking Apple rumors and  jumping on them like headless chicken. It is more amusing than annoying.

I can't agree with your conclusion.

Samsung makes some ugly products in my opinion. The only Samsung product I have enjoyed are their TVs. But I digress

There are smart people working at all of these companies. More likely that they ALL see the future as some form of wearable computing. Just as we saw rumors and patents regarding Apples version of Google Glass. It isn't copying...they are all thinking ahead.

Back on topic, a smart watch just ain't doing it for me.