Samsung shows off Galaxy Note 3 'phablet', new Note 10.1 tablet, Galaxy Gear smart watch

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 154

Two points not yet made:

1.  70 apps?  Be still my beating heart.

2.  Imagine, if you will, malware - ON YOUR WRIST...

• Reply 142 of 154
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because it doesn't exist.

Meh, loved to see a faulty fingerprint scanner on Note3!

• Reply 143 of 154
    1000 activations for every "it's ugly" comment.
  • Reply 145 of 154
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DroidFTW View Post

Remember this post of yours when iPhones add 4k video recording capability at some point down the road.

Oh, the iPhone will get 4k video recording one day. Probably when codecs to keep the file sizes manageable and efficient decoders are ready for small consumer devices.

I'm not sure what the fuss is. I work in video post-production, and I'm underwhelmed by the prospect of 4k in the consumer space.

• Reply 146 of 154
    All these "marketing shots" of the "smart watch" are all from the front, obscuring the body of it. I saw a few shots more from the side that reveal the true "clunkiness" of this beast. It's pretty thick, raising at least a half inch above the wrist. And seriously not good looking with those mismatched screws and materials textures.

ANd then it needs a Note 3 alongside to function properly?

No, I'll pass, thanks.
  • Reply 147 of 154
    slurpy wrote: »
    That watch looks boring as ****. Just like the dozens of other "smartwatches" being designed by talentless companies. Samsung can go ahead and "beat Apple to the punch"- being first has never been Apple's goal, it's always been doing it right. Just like all the other industries and products it reinvented, Apple will release such a product when its confident it will be a game-changer, and that consumers will flock to buy it.

While i don't know if Apple will really come out with a watch thingee one thing I do know for certain: if they do, it will look better than What was shown today.
  • Reply 148 of 154
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    i bet the iWatch will be very simple.

will do all iPod stuff with earbud jack, no iphone needed.

will do Facetime - vid and voice both - email, texting, alerts via wifi, no iphone needed.

can also tether to iphone for this when there is no wifi.

a few simple convenience apps, like health monitors and calculators. oh yeah, time and weather.

use a Siri like UI with iCloud sync for stuff and iTunes Match.

in other words - the iPod of the future!

everyone is looking in the wrong direction, for a mini smartphone.

but Apple can reinvent the iPod instead!

added later: priced at say $199 they'd sell 20 million a year to start.

of course the designer watch bands will double the price.
  • Reply 149 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Then Apple is copying Pebble? Pebble was first, or one of the first, to market. There were NO iWatch rumors prior to Pebble.

But there was this prior to Pebble:

And it wasn't rumor.

• Reply 150 of 154
    Quote:

Originally Posted by samfam View Post

This design is showing the outcome of Samsung "not copying" anybody else for the first time.

"for the first time."

At least you're more honest than their lawyers.

• Reply 152 of 154
    bigbig Posts: 36member
    Know what I don't get? Watch bands wear out. If I gotta take this damn thing off every night to charge in its cradle the watch band is gonna wear out mighty quick. Is this watch band even replaceable?! It sure doesn't seem like it and most definitely not affordably if there's a fricking camera and speaker and other crap built into the watch band!

Many people are suggesting the next big thing is wearables that help you track your health. For many people that means working out. Athletics (sweat, friction, impacts) are also gonna take a toll on the watch band.

Unless I'm really missing something I'm so completely underwhelmed. Blah. $300?! Are you on crack?!
  • Reply 153 of 154
    I don't get it... shouldn't this be called "Appleinsider"? Why this concern over Samsung's latest products?
  • Reply 154 of 154
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

This is what they call innovation?

Bigger screens and copying competitors rumored yet unreleased products?

Who called it innovative?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

In my opinion, a smart watch is a stupid idea, by Samsung, Apple or other.

Well the problem with these watches is that companies will try to do too much with them before the technology allows it to be done right. Take this watch for example, over on Engadget they called sluggish and awkward.

The watch should simply tell the time and act as a notification screen for the connected device. Nothing more. Keeping such a limited feature set should allow the watch to be smaller, get good battery life and have a simple/elegant design.

On the Note 3, hardware-wise it looks fantastic. However, given the amount of frivolous  software/features Samsung stuffed on the GS4 I am sure the Note 3 would be no different. Hopefully they will come out with a Google Play edition.

Of course, the ideal situation would be for Apple to come out with a similar sized iPhone but I would be extremely surprised if they ever did such a thing.

-kpluck