Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept

Comments

• Reply 41 of 298
    Meh, a wash, we got finger print sensor but no news on which carrier in China just siad vailable in China, or unlocked price of 5C
  • Reply 42 of 298
    still no pics of the iPhone 5S?
  • Reply 43 of 298
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

No real surprises here. The leaks and rumors over the last few weeks and months pretty much nailed everything. I was hoping there would be some nice surprise like doubling the storage to 32/64/128 instead of keeping it at 16/32/64. Also wondering if it will use the Qualcomm RF360 front end or not since that wasn't mentioned.  Maybe I will feel differently when I can watch the actual video but right now I am feeling a little let down. 

• Reply 44 of 298

AAPL down ~1%.

will it go lower, or manage to recover and at least stay even for the day?

Steve Jobs is dead!

• Reply 45 of 298
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

still no pics of the iPhone 5S?

What? apple.com/iphone

I like their new page layouts (introduced with the Mac Pro).

• Reply 46 of 298
    If you cannot see the merits of a 64bit throughout OS then you truly don't understand OS and App Development. If you think it's all about the RAM footprint then please just stop speculating.

The real reason these suckers don't have 8G/16GB is the same reason we don't have 256GB/512GB/1TB in a Workstation/Desktop/Laptop configuration.

The next revolution in memory density is nearly upon us and having your OS and Apps ready to leverage from the ground up when it happens instead of being caught with your pants down for years is something Apple learned during the creation of OS X.

In 3-6 months Samsung is going to be dumping onto the market 64-bit hackneyed APUs for their smartphones and every single Android fanatic will tout it up.

Meanwhile, the App base and n-tier of services will continue to evolve at Apple while it's been hard at work on the iPhone 6 for next year, no doubt incorporating any new memory density advances and much more.

Motion APIs, along with all the new APIs in iOS7 and OS X are going to be a huge selling point for Apple.

Datacenter expansion with more advanced cloud services will just expand the ecosystem.

No mention of AppleTV and contracts with content providers means we have a lot more to come.
  • Reply 47 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Interesting to see no 128 GB option.

That is the only (slight) disappointment for me.

I was really hoping to be able to get in more of my music in there.

• Reply 48 of 298
    AAPL down ~1%.
    will it go lower, or manage to recover and at least stay even for the day?

For one thing, it won't lower to your skills
  • Reply 49 of 298

Don't feed the trolls, people. Just move along. Don't quote them, just ignore.

• Reply 50 of 298

Now AAPL is down 1.5%

clearly, Wallstreet is not impressed, and neither are we!

• Reply 51 of 298
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Sad that there's no mention of release date for Mavericks.

Why mention that in an event all about iOS and new phones?

• Reply 52 of 298
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

How long before we hear from all the usual shills that Apple isn't innovating any more because this phone looks just like the last one (except for one new color)? I can already hear it "The only innovation Apple is capable of is adding a new color".

I'm guessing we'll hear that within an hour.

What have they 'innovated' with this phone?

I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.

iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo

I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

• Reply 53 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lowest Skil View Post

(All his posts)

Who dragged in the trash?

• Reply 54 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

For one thing, it won't lower to your skills

Haha! Nice! This is what I call a cool comeback. Not the nastiness of my evil twin ^^

• Reply 55 of 298
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    pendergast wrote: »
    I am very underwhelmed.

Mostly because of the price points. Everything seems to be $100 too expensive. 

The 5C should have been 16GB for $0 on contract (or $399 off) and the 5S should have started at 32GB, not 16GB. 

And the 4S should have been axed. Are they at least updating it to Lightning?

The price points are unchanged.

Before:
    iPhone 5 16 GB $199
    iPhone 4S 16 GB $99
    Iphone 4 8 GB $0

Now:
    Iphone 5S 16 GB $199
    iPhone 5C (replaces iPhone 5) $99
    iPhone 4S 8 GB $0

It's exactly the same thing that they've been doing for years - release a new phone and the old ones drop by $100 in price. The new one stays at the same price, but adds a lot of features and/or performance. The only thing different this time is that instead of dropping the price of the iPhone 5, they put the iPhone 5 into a plastic case and dropped the price by $100.

The people who were expecting a "cheap" phone will be disappointed - which I expected all along. Apple doesn't make cheap junk. Period.
  • Reply 56 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by msalganik View Post

I like what I see with the 5S but 199 for 16gb? I really thought they would finally bump up the memory on all of these (32gb/199; 64gb/299, etc).... kinda bummed about that. Will def be getting one for the wife though... my phone however doesn't become eligible for upgrade until April so I might as well wait for the 6  (still get to play with iOS7 in the mean time) :D

Im certain there will be ... Remember last year they waited on the iPad upgrade to that capacity... 

• Reply 57 of 298

Glad I'm not the only one who does not get it right on the first go :) 

• Reply 58 of 298

Looking forward to further details (SoC scans, benchmarking by AnandTech, etc). With only $100 difference between the 5S and 5C, I will be looking more at the 5S. I'll be waiting to see what the off-contract prices are as well. The biggest decision for me is which carrier to go with and then that will decide if I purchase on or off contract.

Overall, I think the 5S is quite a nice bump (considering the wife and I have a 3g and 4 respectively, we'll likely get whiplash using the 5S).

• Reply 59 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rain View Post

What have they 'innovated' with this phone?

I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.

iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo

I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

Considering you can sell your 5 for roughly the price it costs to get the new 5S, why wouldn't you sell it and have a newer phone?

That said, this update is for all the people with 4S' and 4's and even 3GS'. And new customers. 

• Reply 60 of 298
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Don't feed the trolls, people. Just move along. Don't quote them, just ignore.

Also report.

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Glad I'm not the only one who does not get it right on the first go :) 

Apple is doomed.