Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept

Comments

• Reply 81 of 298
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

The 5s? Nice improvement.

Oh and "Mavericks"? They explained that at the time: it's a surfer break in California. Maybe all those images of waves and not a single one of Tom Cruise (with or without a couch) was a hint?

• Reply 82 of 298
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Just a reminder to people

[SIZE=6]Don't feed the trolls!![/SIZE]
  • Reply 83 of 298
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

• Reply 84 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Buy on rumor, sell on news... 

I guess so. I am not a good investor, to be honest  :(

• Reply 85 of 298
    rain wrote: »
    What have they 'innovated' with this phone?
    I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.
    iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo
    I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

I realize you just learned the word innovation and are trying to find its appropriate use by using it for every other word, but could you keep it down a little? The adults are trying to talk. Thanks.
  • Reply 86 of 298

lowestskil, that is normal...

...no worries, apple did make their homework, just wait a bit

• Reply 87 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

The 5s? Nice improvement.

Oh and "Mavericks"? They explained that at the time: it's a surfer break in California. Maybe all those images of waves and not a single one of Tom Cruise (with to without a couch) was a hint?

No, it is a reference to Top Gun... that movie played in California... in case you don't know.

• Reply 88 of 298
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Considering you can sell your 5 for roughly the price it costs to get the new 5S, why wouldn't you sell it and have a newer phone?

That said, this update is for all the people with 4S' and 4's and even 3GS'. And new customers. 

I get that.

I just wouldn't call the 5s an 'innovation' in smart phone technology.

Really, this is just a chip update meant to push the virtues of iOS7.

The 'innovation' will come from app developers. 5s will facilitate it.

So are we calling 'facilitative' - 'innovation' now?

• Reply 89 of 298
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

What have they 'innovated' with this phone?

I don't see any physical innovation at all.

Faster chip, camera update, fingerprint security? Wouldn't call that 'innovation'.

The innovation is in the software.

iOS 7 is the innovation... these phones are just vessels to make it sing.

5s is a bit faster... woooo

I don't foresee people chucking their 5's over the Golden Gate Bridge for this hardware update.

I knew it wouldn't take long. Samsung and Google must pay well.

Let's see:

- Twice the CPU performance

- Twice the graphics performance

- First 64 bit phone

- Much better camera

- Fingerprint security

- New motion coprocessor

- Greater network coverage

- Same price as predecessor

And none of that counts for anything?

The Android and Samsung shills really get tiresome.

The really sad thing is how quickly Wall Street goes along. The stock was down about 0.7 before the announcement and is down about 1.7 now. Just what the heck did they expect?

The main missing new feature for me is the fact that it has the same tiny screen. Why can't they make it in a 4.8"-5"?! Oh well, maybe next year.....

• Reply 90 of 298
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I knew it wouldn't take long. Samsung and Google must pay well.

Let's see:

Clearly anyone can say 400x this, 250% that with fancy charts but it's all relative until there's numbers behind it explaining what that's based on. My favorite was the cumulative iPhone sales chart...not a single number anywhere on it outside of the year on the bottom. 

Quote:

- First 64 bit phone

This is definitely a biggie. 

Quote:
     - Much better camera

Clearly the best looking / exciting improvement IMO. 

Quote:
    - Fingerprint security

- New motion coprocessor

- Greater network coverage

These are largely meh. This could be the big breakthrough in scanning tech, but it's not exactly like everyone's clamoring for it.

Quote:

- Same price as predecessor

As others noted, this isn't really a positive or negative. Other OEMs have started offering double the storage at 199/299 price points. 

Trolls will be trolls, but the 5S is a solid update and an amazing one for people coming from the 4 or 4S on renewal. 

• Reply 91 of 298
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

I am very underwhelmed.

Mostly because of the price points. Everything seems to be $100 too expensive.

The 5C should have been 16GB for $0 on contract (or $399 off) and the 5S should have started at 32GB, not 16GB.

And the 4S should have been axed. Are they at least updating it to Lightning?

No to the lightning for 4c question.  http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/

• Reply 92 of 298
    The only thing interesting here is the camera..why would i need a faster processor otherwise? What i really wanted was a bigger screen, i see not enough reason to upgrade from my iphone 5.
  • Reply 93 of 298
    Quote:

I am very underwhelmed.

Mostly because of the price points. Everything seems to be $100 too expensive. 

The 5C should have been 16GB for $0 on contract (or $399 off) and the 5S should have started at 32GB, not 16GB. 

And the 4S should have been axed. Are they at least updating it to Lightning?

I'm always amazed at Apple's Pricing Dept.  they seem to sell things where  they price them.

I'll hold my breathe on sales.... and.  with a 5c... they can update these every 6 months too. 

As for the 4s.  You've never seen a GSA or large corporate contract (like Carriers).   I'll be surprised if Apple isn't on the hook to provide iPhone 4 'form factor' (including all adapters) for XX years (XX greater than 4).  

• Reply 94 of 298
    Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Why can't they make it in a 4.8"-5"?!

Because that's bad?

Here's your seven inch phone. It's completely unusably big. (note Huddler shrinks the image; click for full size or go to Apple.com. Not sure why Apple did this… Is it a child's hand?)

Originally Posted by heinrichz View Post

i see not enough reason to upgrade from my iphone 5.

You're not supposed to.

• Reply 95 of 298
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    [SIZE=22px]Now AAPL is down 1.5%[/SIZE]

clearly, Wallstreet is not impressed, and neither are we!

Wall Street is never impressed by Apple when it should be, but then the stock price rises when Apple does nothing.

Why should the stock be down? All the rumors were substantively correct and known way in advance. Yesterday's stock price should have had today's announcements already baked in.
  • Reply 95 of 298
    Quote:

Touch ID

One of the biggest additions to the iPhone 5s is the new Touch ID sensor, built right into the home button on the device. The sensor is 170 microns thin, senses 500 pixels per inch, and scans a user's sub-epidermal skin layers.

The new sensor is capable of securely reading a user's fingerprint in 360 degrees, from any orientation. The updated home button is also made of sapphire crystal, so it won't scratch and prevent use.

Interesting enough, the theory and basic math on Apple's fingerprint sensors has been developed here, on this board, almost 5 years ago.

Still, it remains to see what exactly scratch-resistant sapphire crystal got to do with capacitive sensor. ;) I'm sure Anand & arses would kill for clear understanding. 

• Reply 97 of 298
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    What's really sad is there's some great stuff in the 5S but it will totally be lost in the trolling about colored plastic, 5C too expensive, etc. sigh.
  • Reply 98 of 298

(All his posts)
    Who dragged in the trash?

KittyKat
  • Reply 99 of 298
    Quote:

- First 64 bit phone

- Much better camera

- Fingerprint security

- New motion coprocessor

More precisely:

New ARM CPU A50 series based Processor design from Apple with the PowerVR Series 6 GPGPU to leverage OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenCL 1.2.

The Motion Coprocessor [series of modern DSPs] and it's API will be a huge hit for augmented reality apps from dozens of market segments [Gaming, Engineering, Fitness, Health, Surgery, Military, Security, etc].

• Reply 100 of 298
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    The black is gone just as I said. I called it here first.