Shares of Apple slide, analysts cut targets in disappointment over iPhone 5c pricing

Comments

• Reply 141 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Almost like that "Jobs would never..." chestnut. No one said Apple wouldn't reach 700 with Jobs. The fact is the stock never did under Jobs.

That sure hurt the iPad mini. Also it's a play for customers to shell out the additional $100 to get the 5S.

Both these statements probably make sense to you.

• Reply 142 of 301
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cpsro wrote: »
    Darned right they don't. Apple is doing its best to protect developers from such garbage. And that's why a large screen iPhone won't happen until iOS 7 has matured.

You didn't understand my post. A well worked app will need no code to handle different screen sizes. Adding art for retina was more work.

To those if you who don't understand the pricing madness here. It costs $100 to

a) upgrade an iPhone by 16g, or
    b) get a new CPU, a 64 bit processor, a fingerprint sensor, a M7 chip etc. etc.

In other words people in a shop will often come in meaning to buy the 16G and end up with the 32G. I can't see why off contract buyers who can afford a plastic last years iPhone at 550 euro wouldn't upgrade to 650.

Or similar prices on contract ( an extra 5 euro a month ). It makes no sense.
  • Reply 143 of 301
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Really bad.   AAPL drops 5% while Dow is up more than 100 pts.

• Reply 144 of 301
    I always saw the reality. You don't seem to.

Except there is.

Magical. Idiots pay the same or more for plastic Android phones. How wrong can you possibly be?

Hmm. I've quoted two sentences together. I wonder… if those sentences might directly relate. Nah.

Just shut up, okay? When you feel like not lying anymore, feel free to post again.

NO. ONE. GIVES. A. FLYING. FRICK.

IF you cannot reply in a NORMAL way without shouting or with stupid one liners, then you cannot even grasp what the idea of a forum is.

Have a nice day !

This is not a list of what TO do.
  • Reply 145 of 301

Originally Posted by ElFig2012 View Post

When i posted my opinion yesterday I mentioned stock price falling, you gave some rather flat comments on that, now you see the reality.

There is not enough price space between 5C and 5S, here in Europe we will pay more than 550€ (around 650$) for a 16GB 5C.

This is bordering on ridicoclous ! and yes, we are talking plastic ....whatever the 'geniuses' at Apple may call it.

What use is for instance the 64bit CPU for us end users? all we care about is speed and longer battery life...only improvement there is that the 5S has longer standby time, wow...hold the press,big advantage...

Before you react, I'm a devoted Apple fan with lots of Apple material, this time I just find that they are aligning their iPhones to what Samung is doing, but Samsung does the same only 30% cheaper.

That's what I meant yesterday, where are the magic moments at Apple?

Welcome to Apple Insider, newbie.  As you gain more experience trolling, you will no doubt develop better technique.

Your attempt at a "concern troll," while technically meeting the definition, is a failure.

First: a true "concern troll" establishes the poster as an Apple fan within the first or second sentence.

This gets the pro-Apple reader on your side, and can fool the unwary into developing a (temporary) affinity with you.

Second: mentioning the A7 and its 64-bit computing capability is an obvious, glaring mistake.

An effective troll will never mention a feature or spec that indisputably trumps all competitors' products.

All it does is display your total lack of understanding of what 64-bit computing means for performance.

It makes you look even dumber.  And a good troll should at least attempt to look smart.

Third: anybody with a low post count who does nothing but hammer on Apple and its products?

Obvious troll.  You should have started with "Yeah, I agree with XYZ." posts to pad your post count first.

But nope.  Too late.  Better luck with your next handle.  Your "ElFig2012" handle is burned.  Forever.

Here's a "concern troll" template for you to follow next month, when new iPads are rolled out:

"I loved the presentation, and although I'm a long-time Apple user (Mac Pro, iPhone 5, G4 Cube)

I'm concerned that the new <Apple product> just isn't going to succeed in the open market.

The problem is that <Feature 1> misses the point.  I feel that <Competitor name> has done a better job.

Especially with their <Competitor product> and its <Feature 1> implementation, which looks exceptionally good.

I just wish Apple could do as good a job, and if they don't, I might be forced to switch to <Competitor name.>

This is very worrying.  Hoping Apple can survive <Competitor name> and the <Competitor product>."

Of course, following such an obvious format will also instantly label you as a copy-and-paste troll.

But that's still much better than your attempt above.

(Oh, and try to use some kind of spell-checker.  Jeez.)

• Reply 146 of 301

This goes on like clockwork.  It's pretty obvious at this point that folks should be selling stock right before these big announcements and then buying it back up right afterwards.

• Reply 147 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If I could have a half hour of Tim Cook's time I'd ask him why apple let the cheap iPhone rumors/analysis go on without correcting it through back channels, anonymous sources etc. Apple could easily have leaked something to WSJ or Bloomberg indicating the phone wouldn't be as cheap as people were expecting. Why they allowed the iPhone 5C is for cheap rumors to stand is beyond me.

I was struck by how quickly Amazon put out a statement quashing the rumor that they are not working on a free phone, and not this year.

Apple should obviously not waste time responding to every rumor, but some are more important than others and deserve to be information-managed.

• Reply 148 of 301
    I have a degree in businessology from the University of Imadethisup. In my experience as the successful CEO of Imaginary Corp, Inc., Apple is Doomed. My advice to Tim Cook is to chase competitors down every rabbit hole: big screens, cheaper phones, and thinner profit margins. That's the only way Apple can stay competitive.
  • Reply 149 of 301
    shenshen Posts: 434member

I seriously think Apple should buy back all stock from anyone who isn't an average guy/girl on the street who just happens to want to own shares in a company they like.  

Why the worry about the stock?  Will both these phones sell?  Hotcakes wish they sold like iPhones!  These will quickly become 2 of the 3 best selling phones ever.  Will you be able to buy one?  Yeah, eventually, as the production and demand even out.  Will Apple still have more money than god?  Yep.

Meanwhile, my daughter can choose between saving some money or having the latest tech, while I will definitely pick up an S and we will both be very happy.  And when the new ipads come out people will have a reason to scream about the stock again, while most real people (i.e. not Apple site trolls) go buy one.

All this whining about plastic!  Meanwhile Apple is replacing the majority of the point and shoot market, the majority of the video camera market, and creating several new markets with a phone that has a damn near desktop powerful CPU in it.  

...They might have even just fired a warning shot over intels bow there too.  Apple is still skating to where the puck is going to be, and a bunch of web trolls are screaming about where the puck never was.  Pathetic.

• Reply 150 of 301
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I was struck by how quickly Amazon put out a statement quashing the rumor that they are not working on a free phone, and not this year.

Apple should obviously not waste time responding to every rumor, but some are more important than others and deserve to be information-managed.
    Yep. And they have ways of doing it. I still think the retina mini rumors that WJS and Bloomberg published were intentional leaks by Apple.
  • Reply 151 of 301
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yeah, with all of the leaks and rumors, virtually everything was known about yesterday's event. Nothing was a surprise basically.  Practically the only thing that was not yet known was the price.

Apple is no longer secretive, because everything is leaked beforehand now. 

• Reply 152 of 301
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    If I could have a half hour of Tim Cook's time I'd ask him why apple let the cheap iPhone rumors/analysis go on without correcting it through back channels, anonymous sources etc. Apple could easily have leaked something to WSJ or Bloomberg indicating the phone wouldn't be as cheap as people were expecting. Why they allowed the iPhone 5C is for cheap rumors to stand is beyond me.

Apple doesn't respond to rumors. If they did then they have to respond to all rumors including the truth.
    asdasd wrote: »
    I take him seriously as a price analyst. His predictions are crap but I bet he knows something about Apple projects but Cook is too timid to pull trigger on new product releases. Cooks a disaster. Bring back forstall.

My suspicions have been proven correct. Forstall = Apple Maps 1.0. Apple release products when they are ready and not to Wall Street's timeline.
  • Reply 153 of 301
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Munster was talking about a low end device starting 15% margins leading to MORE REVENUE and higher EPS. 

If Munster said that, he does not understand valuation. I doubt he said something like that.

While EPS can mathematically increase, that is only part of the pricing equation: Price = [P/E]×[EPS]

Lower margins ? Lower expected ROIC ? Lower P/E ratio. In other words, the valuation consequences of an incremental EPS increase can be negative if the margin is lower.

• Reply 154 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I have a degree in businessology from the University of Imadethisup. In my experience as the successful CEO of Imaginary Corp, Inc., Apple is Doomed. My advice to Tim Cook is to chase competitors down every rabbit hole: big screens, cheaper phones, and thinner profit margins. That's the only way Apple can stay competitive.

Well, one down... cheaper phones.

2 to go.

Looks like that degree is paying off.

• Reply 155 of 301

You went to U of I too? :lol:

These analysts would've complained regardless of what Apple did. A lower cost iPhone would've resulted in the lower margin complaints.
  • Reply 156 of 301
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yep. And they have ways of doing it. I still think the retina mini rumors that WJS and Bloomberg published were intentional leaks by Apple.

I'm not so sure about that. I think that if Apple has a retina iPad Mini up their sleeves, then they should just release it as soon as possible, that and the new iPad 5 also.

• Reply 157 of 301
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ipen View Post

Really bad.   AAPL drops 5% while Dow is up more than 100 pts.

Look at the bright side: the rest of your portfolio is doing better! 8-)

• Reply 158 of 301
    I am very disappointed about the price as it relates to China. It's possible however that the carriers may charge substantially less as the carriers will surely pay less than what Apple posts as their unlocked price on their web site. If they did that Apple could lower there carrier price/margin in China and sell more and have a larger carrier price/margin in the US where carrier subsidies take the sting out of it. People may be over reacting too soon.
  • Reply 159 of 301
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gowhitestripes View Post

They set themselves up perfectly for next year.

Next year the iPhone 5C becomes $449.

The iPhone 5S becomes $549 and $649

and the iPhone 6 with a 4.5 inch screen becomes $649 upward.

Really a beautiful move.

- 5C = reworked from the iPhone 5 because of the iPhone 5's scratch problems and I think they wanted to change internals (China Mobile band?)

- 5S = Needed to keep the same form factor because of accessories and equipment that make these phones. Lots of innovation otherwise. Fingerprint sensor will be awesome.

- China Mobile = will come; they will ease into it

Only one thing lacking in iPhone innovation, the screen-size. That's it. Otherwise they did a fantastic job. None of this is easy.

Enlarging the screen size is not an innovation. Innovation is making it smaller and keeping it as strong as the larger one (iPad Mini). 

Screen size is a matter of power and autonomy. Even with new A7 and 64-bit kernel the speed has increased 100%, which is by far too little to power 4x graphic resolution, while new resolution or larger pixel size are simply not an option for Apple, thanks god.

• Reply 160 of 301
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

So they (analysts) want "cheaper" BUT when they get "cheaper" those same idiots will start harping about lower margins. Either way they talk the stock down. I have gotten a real education the last few years on how the stock market and analysts really work by following AAPL. It's all simply about wringing as much money out of a company as possible, by any means available, for as long as possible, and then dropping the corpse and moving on to the next victim. Not a single care about the company itself, the business, the employees, the product, the reputation.