Apple's iPhone 5s to document Burberry runway show in London

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In an interesting marketing collaboration, Burberry will get early access to the iPhone 5s to take photos and video for its Spring/Summer 2014 fashion show set to take place next week in London.

iPhone 5s

Apple announced the partnership on Thursday, noting that the iPhone 5s' rear-facing iSight camera will be used exclusively to capture the runway show, behind-the-scenes footage, product details, and preparations for the event.

?This collaboration celebrates our relationship and shared foundation in design and craftsmanship. We have a mutual passion for creating beautiful products and unlocking emotive experiences through technology, which has made it intensely exciting to explore the capabilities of iPhone 5s,? said Burberry CEP Christopher Bailey. ?We?re inspired by what this could mean for the future as we continue to explore the merging of physical and digital experiences.?

Apple?s vice president of iPhone & iOS Product Marketing Greg Joswiak said the company was "thrilled" to have the iPhone 5s be part of the show, pointing out that all-new version of "the world's most popular camera" will bring HD photos and video to Burberry's event.

Apple's iPhone 5s carries over the same 8 megapixel resolution of the iPhone 5, but features a slightly larger sensor. This should prove helpful in low-light conditions and image capture capabilities.

The new handset also sports a reworked five-element lens with a larger f/2.2 aperture, as well as a dual LED flash unit called "True Tone."

In addition to the hardware upgrades, the 5s also comes with advanced photo taking software. Functions include a burst mode that shoots at ten frames per second, a 120fps slow motion video mode and precision autofocus matrix metering.

The images that Burberry captures should be an interesting first look at how the iPhone 5s performs in a number of scenarios.

Burberry will be sharing the images and video on its social media channels and through its website starting today, while the show is set to kick of on Sept. 16.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sorry but whoever decided to switch the S from uppercase to lowercase should be fired.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm sorry but whoever decided to switch the S from uppercase to lowercase should be fired.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with you wholeheartedly and dearly hope that it's switched on the site within the next few days like the iPhone 3GS was (initially iPhone 3G S).

• Reply 3 of 33
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to agree with you wholeheartedly and dearly hope that it's switched on the site within the next few days like the iPhone 3GS was (initially iPhone 3G S).
    Maybe if no one in the media or on blogs uses the lower case s and Apple will get the hint and change it back.
  • Reply 4 of 33

Maybe if no one in the media or on blogs uses the lower case s and Apple will get the hint and change it back.

Dear Tim,

How're we supposed to refer to multiple instances of the iPhone 5s? We're not snakes, sir. Not about to start typing "iPhone 5ss".

Ssincerely,

Concserned Usserss

• Reply 5 of 33
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member

That's actually a team that makes good sense. Since I've paid over $1900 for one of their trench coats, my wife complains far less about the almost $1200 for my iPhone 5 64 GB... A match made in heaven.

• Reply 6 of 33
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Quote:

I feel your pain, but it looks a little weird: iPhone 5S. The letter forms of 5 and S are too similar.

Apple ran into a similar problem when naming the chip for the 4S... it was the enhanced version of the A5. If 4 has for the A5, then it would make sense that the 4S would have an A5S. But nobody wants a phone that is powered by ASS. 
  • Reply 7 of 33
    Hmmm... association with Burberry isn't all to positive on this side of the pond:

Google image search: '[B]Burberry chav[/B]'

Although it's perceived rather more positively in Asia.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    Hmmm... association with Burberry isn't all to positive on this side of the pond:

Google image search: 'Burberry chav'

Although it's perceived rather more positively in Asia.

IMHO, Burberry is an awesome association for Apple to have. The first suit that I purchased for myself was a Burberry suit.

I can remember entire experience of having the suit tailored to my measurements, picking out matching shirts and ties... it was absolutely amazing! The customer service reps made me feel that I made the suit look and feel good not the other way around.

And, to see Apple associated with Burberry for this runway show just brings back so many memories. Proud memories!!

Good job, Apple! Good job!!
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Wow, I hope you guys are not managing anyone.

A 5 followed by a capital S would look like SS or 55.  (5S)  Using a lower case s is more clear.

• Reply 10 of 33
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

A 5 followed by a capital S would look like SS or 55.  (5S)  Using a lower case s is more clear.

Who cares what it "looks like" when it obviously doesn't? Did "iPhone 4S" look like "iPhone 45"? "iPhone 3G5"? Randomly changing an established convention looks worse.

Funny how my old proposal would still have worked better, because now they're really in a jam next year. Will there be an iPhone 5SC–which is the iPhone 5S in a different enclosure–while the iPhone 6 stands above? "5SC" is stacking three designations, rather than just two. Should have just dropped it when they had the chance. Then it's really simple. iPhone is the mid-range, iPhone S is the newest one, iPhone C is the oldest.

• Reply 11 of 33
    rogifan wrote: »

Rule 36: "No letter shall compete with the P in iPhone."
  • Reply 12 of 33
    5S looks like SS, probably too close for comfort to Nazis. Just saying. Still I rather have the upper case "S" as well.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Should be iPhone 5[ S] , had to put a space, it wouldn't display it without a space
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Rule 36: "No letter shall compete with the P in iPhone."

I thought it was Apple drives dozens of their Chinese workers to suicide per year. ;)

• Reply 15 of 33
    On average every woman has two items from Burberry in Tokyo. They (Burberry) are doing major push in China, and Asia. Beijing is catching up fast. It makes all kind of sense for this promo. And shooting fashion show with a mobile phone, that just make Park Chan-wook made a movie with iPhone 4 looks like child play. Can't wait to see the show.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    jakeb wrote: »
    But you could have said, it was powered by a KICK ASS chip (at least at that time). ;-)

>> on topic: Just watched the trailer for the show (captured on iPone 5s's). Looks great.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

• Reply 18 of 33
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

They look like iPhone 5C customers.

• Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Ah, Goldie Lookin' Chain and their (actually surprisingly good) comedy welsh hip hop... 

• Reply 20 of 33
    Funny how my old proposal would still have worked better, because now they're really in a jam next year. Will there be an iPhone 5SC–which is the iPhone 5S in a different enclosure–while the iPhone 6 stands above? "5SC" is stacking three designations, rather than just two. Should have just dropped it when they had the chance. Then it's really simple. iPhone is the mid-range, iPhone S is the newest one, iPhone C is the oldest.

The 9th gen will become the worst: 6S. Some will think it's 'the internet way' of writing SS or 66. I'll just refer to multiple 9th gens as 6Ss but might get an infraction because it sounds like a bit like asses.