Secrecy around Apple's new 64-bit A7 chip may have incited spurious $AAPL stock downgrades

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    Someone should forward this article to Misek. I hope he reads it in some way, shape, or form.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stock is down another $7+ this morning even though the broader market is way up.I hope Apple can kill it with iPhone numbers next week.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    thefly wrote: »
    You know, I'm not bothered by the decrease in stock price because Apple is in the middle of a $100b stock buy-back.  The lower the price, the more stock Apple can take off the market.  While a long time coming, take the company private and be done with these Analysts once and for all...

I wonder if that had been Jobs goal all along with accumulating the vast amounts of money.
    That's ridiculous. Apple isn't going private. And honestly if private was the way to go why wouldn't more companies go private. It's not llke Apple is the only misunderstood company out there...
  • Reply 44 of 105

I personally think people should mail bomb this guy and any other analysis who get it completely wrong. I do not understand why people do not call these idiots out. Besides mail bombing the analysis call the media and ask them why they continue to believe people who are wrong or are lying and presenting it to the world as fact.

• Reply 45 of 105
    wow he actually said "modem"
  • Reply 46 of 105
    PED could build a career pointing out just how bad analysts are. Here's hoping that he does.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Stock is down another $7+ this morning even though the broader market is way up.I hope Apple can kill it with iPhone numbers next week.

Imo expectations are low for the iphone numbers, the market is pricing in a bad number. This is why i think we will be going down all week
  • Reply 48 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple is full of firsts with this launch. It isn't releasing the 5C pre-order numbers. As you can imagine... lots of speculation about the reason to stay quiet.

• Reply 49 of 105
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Boy,

The more we learn about what Apple has been up to in the last nine months or so while they were 'stagnating' from 'lack of innovation' the more I'm impressed.

Mavericks, iOS7, the Mac Pro, the mobile 64 bit chop 'n' change, addressing labour issues, bringing jobs back to America, supply chain changes (jobs out of America - thank you, Samsung), and God only knows what software and iPad updates we'll see shortly.

They don't muck around...

What?  I don't know what the exact number is, but they have over ten or tens of thousands of hardware and software engineers at Apple, and I don't think they are going to sit around playing ping pong, basketball, getting massages, eating free food, and sitting around in bean bag chairs all day long doing nothing.

I don't know why the analyst make some of the DUMBEST comments about Apple "not innovating".  They always innovate, it's just when the innovations get released and the only thing Apple's been guilty is not releasing product every quarter.  I think they just want Apple to say something as to when product is going to get released, but Apple doesn't want to pull an Osborne, plus they don't want to mention anything until they are ready to show a product with something to ship.  Samsung is just shipping about 4 products a year that get any attention and they spread out the product announcements so it gives the illusion that they are "innovating".

• Reply 50 of 105

I have always held conspiracy theories - the Kennedy assassination, the moon landings, Area 51, etc. - in the highest contempt.  But with the latest on Apple stock, I'm beginning to seriously wonder.

Maybe the analysts are not idiots at all.  Maybe they're actually geniuses, working in concert and in conspiracy with others in the finance industry, to manipulate Apple stock and reap enormous gains.

That would certainly explain the wild gyrations in the stock.

Just one analyst could not accomplish that alone.  But suppose they coordinated their activities, per a scheduled plan or whatever?  Massive  profits.

And where millions upon millions of dollars are to be made, one can expect the worst in people.

• Reply 51 of 105
    nikilok wrote: »
    Moral of the Story. Don't listen to dumb ass analysts like Misek when it comes to buying / selling Apple Stocks !
    These guys can't see beyond what there two eyes can interpret. His Career as an analyst is done. He might as well start looking out for other alternatives.

Actually it isn't. Analysts have been screwing up with Apple for ages, they never get fired

A part of me wonders if Apple could or would sue them for stock tampering. Especially when Peter did the very thing Tim hinted would give bad info. I would almost like to see Apple try it, if only to get the word out to the common investor not to listen to these not so 'experts'
  • Reply 52 of 105
    Apple is full of firsts with this launch. It isn't releasing the 5C pre-order numbers. As you can imagine... lots of speculation about the reason to stay quiet.
    Down $9 now. I wasn't expecting separate sales figures for the colored iPhone. But since they did a pre launch with that one I can see where analysts might have been expecting some numbers today. I guess it doesn't help either that Apple's shipping dates keep changing. For instance 9to5Mac reported this morning that some colored iPhone shipping dates had slipped to October, but then they updated their post saying Apple's website had changed to a 9/25 shipping date.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I think apple will sell about the same amount of phones it sold last year, but with better margins.

That means market shares will continu to drop

Most likely they will sell much more (30%, as current quarters show).

Still, market share should drop. So what?

• Reply 54 of 105
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

If apple release a number its going to be on the 23rd when it can report the 5c and 5s combined. The last thing Apple will do is report specifics on which phone sells the best.  imo both phones share the same margins so we dont need to know.

Regarding the article, predicting sales on channel checks is something to take with a grain of salt. Its still wierd we dont have pre-orders on the 5s, but it could be because Apple wants to see big lines at stores.

• Reply 55 of 105
    So WSJ reporting that China Telecom has cut their iPhone subsidy. Guess that would explain the stock drop.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/09/16/china-telecom-cuts-iphone-subsidies/?mod=WSJBlog&mod=
  • Reply 56 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If apple release a number its going to be on the 23rd when it can report the 5c and 5s combined. The last thing Apple will do is report specifics on which phone sells the best.  imo both phones share the same margins so we dont need to know.

Apple has been announcing first day pre-order numbers since 2009. It didn't do it with the 5C.

Lots of reasons why it didn't release the numbers. Take your pick.

• Reply 57 of 105
    That summed it up. It's his same song and dance from February and March. I don't know how he isn't held accountable by the FCC, let alone keeps his job.

I believe you mean the SEC, not FCC
  • Reply 58 of 105
    Time to buy!!
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Guy with press megaphone is perpetually wrong about secretive company's future products, yet still is listened to by large amounts of people.

Are we sure this guy's name isn't John Dvorak? He's been making bad predictions about Apple for decades...
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

Two interesting threads on SemiWIKI

http://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/1940-debunked-tsmc-apple-rumors.html

http://www.semiwiki.com/forum/content/2763-intel-bay-trail-fail.html

In both, it is claimed that Samsung for A7 and TSMC for the next iPhone.

the first is from january.  The iPhone didn't come out until September.  That seems like plenty of time to start a building a whole new chip with a different supplier (which was the reason given). We should find out for sure in a few days when the iPhone 5s teardowns are posted.

The best reason to suggest that samsung isn't making them is their rushed announcement that they will also have a 64 bit phone some day.

Either way, Apple clearly has motivation to move away from using their biggest competitor as their primary supplier.