Apple sells out of initial iPhone 5s supply in under 2 days, shipments pushed to October

Comments

• Reply 81 of 238
    herbapou wrote: »
    Selling out of the 5s is good, but it looks like inventory was very low.  I am pretty confident Apple made a huge amount of 5c so if they were to run out it would be big.  

I dont think there is any way to guess how many they sold over the weekend, it could below or above last year number of 5 millions.  There is only one thing I am sure of, the stock will move big on monday and this is why I played both sides for that news. I did an option straddle at 2 different expiration dates. The short side is on the weekly and the long side is in April 2014.

I have been lucky in the past months. Bought at $420, sold all at $502 at iphone 5 launch.  Bought at $470 and $455 and sold last week at $475. My play for next week is an option straddle and I plan to ride the stock for the ipads later.

Isn't it this type of investment behavior that results in me having to read endless posts about stock manipulation?

His option trades have little or no impact on stock prices.
  • Reply 82 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

No, the China Mobil deal is done, wrapped up and finalized. It will be a slow rollout due to an on-going update of the higher speed infrastructure between now and the end of the year.

CCTV approved but Apple's negotiations with China Mobile are not finalized.

I'm not sure how much the China Mobile deal is going to mean to Apple with 42-46 million iPhones already being used by CM subscribers. It could be huge but also could be fairly saturated.
  • Reply 83 of 238
    Hey folks, it's 5s, not 5S. 5c, not 5C. This matters, particularly for those selling them. :)

Looking around the internet, it's surprising how much tech pundits have the names of the new iPhones wrong.

Screw that. 5C. 5S. I’m not typing idiotic capitalizations. What happens if I need to make it plural? 

I guess you have to say '5 cees' and '5 esses'. Dumb, I know. :-/
  • Reply 84 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

don't understand the question.

That question was actually meant for Hill60 but for some reason or another it quoted you. I changed it but I guess Hill60 didn't notice.

• Reply 85 of 238
    Just got a shipped notification! Earlier than quoted date -- getting to me on the 25th! UPS
  • Reply 86 of 238
    notown wrote: »

This is off topic, but it would be cool if AI published hidden tips and tricks related to iOS 7.

http://www.maclife.com/article/gallery/90_ios_7_tips_and_tricks
  • Reply 87 of 238
    All shipments from initial availability are not shipping until October and so how is this news exactly?
  • Reply 88 of 238
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Isn't it this type of investment behavior that results in me having to read endless posts about stock manipulation?

It is not investing at all. It is gambling.

• Reply 89 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

It is not investing at all. It is gambling.

Gambling is all or nothing. At least when you put our money down on AAPL you are bound to get at least some of your money back.

• Reply 90 of 238
    hill60 wrote: »
    Once you get one in someone's hand and explain they do more than the 5 at a lower price, without compromising on memory, then people will usually go for it.

Despite that 5c is taller, wider, 20% thicker and heavier than 5?
  • Reply 91 of 238
    Dudes 5c will sell to 16-28 year olds who don't give a toss then again it's them the dumb arses sorry. But yeah two good products!
  • Reply 92 of 238
    rogifan wrote: »
    Well the fact is it is sold at places like Walmart and Target. I don't really expect 5C to be the immediate must have sell out right away phone like the 5S. But I definitely see it under a lot of Christmas trees as gifts. I would like to see it a bit cheaper and I won't be surprised if that happens closer to Christmas. It's a lot easier to lower prices than to raise them.

Apple probably won't lower the price, but they'll probably allow carriers to offer 5Cs on BOGOs and "free" during that season.

Someone else mentioned in another thread awhile ago that this may be Apple's strategy. Offer specials, deals, and discounts (via carriers of course) for the 5C but keep the 5S at full price throughout the year. That would be a better profit proposition for all involved unlike last year when the more expensive 5 was being discounted pretty quickly (by Apple standards that is).

Another option Apple has to keep sales high through the year is offer new color options for 5C in 6 months. That would be an easy cheap way to keep interest high and move units without embarrassingly having to lower the price before next year.
  • Reply 93 of 238
    jakeb wrote: »
    I checked them out at the apple store yesterday. I'll admit it -- I like the 5c design better than the 5s. It feels so solid.

I'm still going with the 5s though. The new camera and fingerprint win for me.

Could wait for next year. I think we see iPhone 5c for free (on contract), iPhone 5cs (this years 5s in plastic) and the iPhone 6
  • Reply 94 of 238
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Only market I see Apple catching with the 5C are impulsive buyers. Anyone that does a little researching would probably pass on the 5C and save up for a 5S.

Poor Apple.

• Reply 95 of 238

Thanks for the link. However, more than half their tips are features are things Apple has publicized or are items readily accessible in the settings. Don't get me wrong, it's seems pretty useful for non-techies, but there was maybe 4 things out of 90 I didn't already know. And my tip about tapping the bottom of the safari window to bring the controls back up wasn't one of them. They just suggest you scroll down to bring them back up...
  • Reply 96 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I stood in line yesterday and bought my 5S directly from my apple store. Best smartphone I've ever owned.

Today there were still lines of people waiting for 5S.

Here are my quick observations:

There was very little interest in the 5C except from children.

The 5C looked and felt like plastic. Not my cup of tea and that was a major negative point from other adults I talked to at the store.

Most 5C that actually sold (and even the Apple employees admitted it was a slow seller at the store) were parents buying for kids. Some parents opted to buy their kids 5S instead though.

Anyway all that to say. The 5S is an amazing smartphone the most innovative small device I've ever used. Use touch ID a few times and you'll feel the magic I'm talking about. But the 5C on the other hand. Still a head scratcher in my book.

It's not helping Apple's image. It doesn't look that great. And it's not selling well. It may be selling better than last years 4S but that's not saying much IMO.

Your view is hardly unbiased.

People standing in line for the new iPhone like yourself are a special breed. They, like myself, are Apple loyal diehard's. They are interested in the latest and best. Not everybody is like that. I would guess most of Apple's customers are not. 

My girlfriend until Saturday had a 3GS that she got from AT&T two years ago for zero dollars on a two year contract. She isn't reading Apple forums. She has needed a new phone for the last  month because she dropped it in the toilet and her home button was sticking. I talked her into waiting until the new ones were announced.  After showing her both the 5C and 5S and explaining the differences (she also watched the Keynote with me), she opted for the 5c.

Her reasoning for opting for the 5C: First, she liked the feel of it in her hand. It certainly feels nicer then the 3GS she had, and lacquer feels smooth and pleasant enough. Second, she liked the color.  For some people this is important. Third, she liked that at T-Mobile (where she switched to) she could get it for zero dollars down, and for $30 less than what Apple was offering. As an underpaid public teacher, money isn't flowing off trees for her. She often buys her own supplies. The $130 in savings was important for her. 

In a nutshell, she is jumping 3 generations of iPhones in terms of performance. Although the iPhone 5S is great, the iPhone 5 was no slouch. It certainly is capable of running email, Safari, and Whirly Word. She loves the phone, and I am happy for her. 

For what is was worth, I went into T-Mobile in the Mall in Ann Arbor Michigan at around 11 am on Friday. It is located past the Apple Store in the same mall. The lines were huge at the Apple Store at 11. When we got to T-Mobile there was no line. She played with both the 5S and 5C before buying the 5C. While we where there, a line of about ten people formed. There were four people at the counter. Three of them opted for the 5c. A guy got the gold 5S, but the store was holding that one for him, as the store sold out. Everybody else in the line was getting the 5c. 

Back at the Apple store (where she went to look at cases), most people were seemingly in line for the 5S. However, plenty of people were looking at the 5C and buying it. I have played with her phone for the last two days. It is a nice phone. Every bit as functional as my still awesome iPhone 5. We took it to a concert last night, and people commented positively on it. It took great pictures. I also think the battery life is better then the iPhone 5. 

So, my point is the people you were asking are not an accurate source because they, like you,  are all early adopters who want the latest and greatest as opposed to just somebody who wants a good phone. They, like you, probably aren't going to give up a just year old iPhone 5 to get an iPhone 5c. Apple, however,  was very smart in releasing the 5c. The wait for the 5S would be much greater if Apple had to use the same fabricating equipment to meet demand for both the 5 and the 5s. The new case for the 5c allows Apple to build them quicker and put its fabricating equipment to use making the 5S. Further, Apple's new iPhones will take up more prominent display space in third party stores because there are more options to show. This equates to less space for competitors.

On a side note, I dislike the Apple cases for the 5C because you can see the FCC warnings through the case. My girlfriend ordered one from Switch Easy instead
  • Reply 97 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Gambling is all or nothing. At least when you put our money down on AAPL you are bound to get at least some of your money back.

Depends. If you are buying on margin, or utilizing various options schemes you could lose everything. 

• Reply 98 of 238
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird73 View Post

Could wait for next year. I think we see iPhone 5c for free (on contract), iPhone 5cs (this years 5s in plastic) and the iPhone 6

2 plastic phones? Somehow I doubt it. I can see the 6 being a 4.3" phone, then the 5s and then the 5c.

At the very least, if past experience is anything to hold onto (which obviously it isn't this time around), the 6 will most likely have a different form factor than the 5 and 5s.
  • Reply 99 of 238
    jason98 wrote: »
    hill60 wrote: »
    Once you get one in someone's hand and explain they do more than the 5 at a lower price, without compromising on memory, then people will usually go for it.

Despite that 5c is taller, wider, 20% thicker and heavier than 5?

See #97 above. You ? World.
  • Reply 100 of 238
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Depends. If you are buying on margin, or utilizing various options schemes you could lose everything. 

True.