Samsung follows Apple's lead, announces new gold edition of Galaxy S4

Comments

• Reply 141 of 251
    Agreed on some of this. I actually thought I would mind a larger phone more in my pocket but I don't. I wish Apple offered the option.

I wish both devices had better battery life and haven't had success with Apple products either on this.

I also don't like some things about Android so it goes both ways. So many times on this board have blinders on and only love for Apple and hate for everything else. Thanks for proving there are some people out there who can see both sides with me.

So any company that doesn't cater to the most common denominator with a "see what shit sticks" mentality is crap?
  • Reply 142 of 251
    Originally Posted by MiddleGround View Post

I wish they would copy some of the things that Samsung does or as you seem to think they just need to copy themselves. Would love for Apple to copy Apple on:

So you don’t have a clue what Apple is. Got it. Thanks for telling us. Either learn what Apple is or enjoy your Android trash.

What purpose do you have here, again?

• Reply 143 of 251

Not sure what you are talking about or which company has that strategy. I think every company that is in this space develops products with end users in mind and a target market. Some offer more choices than others. Not sure offering choices is a bad strategy but there is also nothing wrong with the strategy of offering 1 solution either.

• Reply 144 of 251

Hope this doesn't spread to champagne/gold colored cars making a comeback.

• Reply 145 of 251

I own about $350,000 in Apple stock (bought on the way up and down) and have a friend who works in the iPhone division so I certainly here a little about their strategies and opinions of their competitors. I'm not a developer but I certainly understand what Apple has.

I happen to own Apple, Samsung and Microsoft products so I guess that makes me the bad guy on this board. I come to here to learn about new products and features that Apple is working on. I didn't realize I have to be anti everything else to post on the board but I'm coming to learn this. ;-)

• Reply 146 of 251

BTW folks, I'm not going to battle every little thing that people are posting that have never used an Android device but live tile updates are freaking awesome! I'm sure Apple will have it someday because it is very valuable. 

I saw someone post that live tiles add no value but they do. Imagine looking at the main screen of your phone and your flight information for the day (including delays is automatically updated), scores from your favorite teams is updated, information about traffic on your drive home, reminders about an appointment and a tile letting you know your package has been shipped or is sitting on your porch at home just to name a few advantages. I had no clue how useful these would be where I don't have to look at my email or an app to get this information until I tried an Android device. Just because I happen to like this beneficial option doesn't mean I don't love my iPhone too. I just wish it had this one feature. Trust me, there are tons of features I love on my iPhone that I wish the Android did better.

I know I probably shouldn't be on this board if I don't just blindly gush over everything Apple. Sorry to upset the apple cart. Can't we all just get along?

• Reply 147 of 251
    ninuola wrote: »
    Samsung Galaxy S4 - S is for Shamleless

As S is for Shameless, so 4 is for 4ever. Thus we get Samsung Galaxy Shameless4ever. :)
  • Reply 148 of 251
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Connie View Post

Why did Apple not patented their invention of a gold colored phone. Now all the Android and Windows phone manufacturers will copy Apple's invention. Apple should sue any manufacturer that makes gold colored phones.  

This is the best joke I've heard in a long time! No, not your post... your post is as lame as they come. I'm referring to the gold SG4. And not just gold, but plastic. OMG this is so-o-o-o rich!!!!!!! Reality is so much more bizarre than fiction.

• Reply 149 of 251

*post deleted.

• Reply 150 of 251
    Gold and.... errr... pink... WTF?!!? Just disgusting.
  • Reply 151 of 251
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

BTW folks, I'm not going to battle every little thing that people are posting that have never used an Android device but live tile updates are freaking awesome! I'm sure Apple will have it someday because it is very valuable.

I'm sure it depends at least in part on whether the feature is patented and, if so, what the royalty structure is like. Apple doesn't just copy stuff because it has the technical ability to do so. If/when you see this feature in Apple products, it will be done well (possibly better than the rest) and it will be done with all appropriate intellectual property rights in hand. Apple likely has better ideas and product plans than what you see. I know it's difficult to be patient, but all good things take time to develop and knee-jerk reactions (like gold color announcements) are not the way to establish a strong business.

• Reply 152 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I'm sure it depends at least in part on whether the feature is patented and, if so, what the royalty structure is like. Apple doesn't just copy stuff because it has the technical ability to do so. If/when you see this feature in Apple products, it will be done well (possibly better than the rest) and it will be done with all appropriate intellectual property rights in hand.

It's actually the Google Now functionality that drives this data so not sure if Apple will license or come up with their own or maybe it will just be left out. You can sort of get at this feature by using the Google App but it's not the same user experience as things being displayed on your phone. It's incredible when traveling as information is displayed just as you need it. Flight info, rental car information, directions, hotel reservations, weather, nearby points of interests, etc. I think the Windows phone sort of does this too but I haven't seen the latest version of this and they are might late to this dance.

• Reply 153 of 251
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I love how MiddleGround signs up today and gets right to work with all of the Android talking points well scripted. Oh, and he's an iPad user too. MiddleGround, is that like Fair and Balanced News from Fox?

• Reply 154 of 251
    Brown and gold? So it's basically a gilded turd?
  • Reply 155 of 251
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post

Do Samsung customers feel ashamed of what their brand is doing?

Samsung is being "innovative" which, as you are no doubt aware if you follow the news, Apple is incapable of being.

Now shut up and consume the trash we tell you to.
  • Reply 156 of 251
    Quote:

I own about $350,000 in Apple stock (bought on the way up and down) and have a friend who works in the iPhone division

<cough> Insider Trading <cough>

• Reply 157 of 251
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I've owned both Android and Apple products.  Android does have great features but it has an Achilles heal.  Not being able to update the OS.  I'm sorry but there is no excuse for having 66% of the user base on an OS that was released in 2011 or earlier. No excuse.

I've purchases an Android phone 2 years ago and I'm still stuck on Gingerbread.  I have not received a single update from my carrier.  Now many of my favorite apps either don't work or crash constantly.  Many of the new apps (Time Warner Cable) don't even work.  That is crap right there.  Plus the threat of Malware is always present.  Plus my friends Galaxy S4 is lagging and he had to shut of a ton of features just so its usable.

My iPhone 4 is on iOS 7, my Galaxy S4 is still on Android 4.2.2 which it shipped with.

Apparently the play store makes up for such lameness, in some boring way which Android aficionados constantly like to remind us of.

So 4.3 is the latest isn't it?

Maybe Samsung is still working on getting rid of the dated, yellow flower photo's icon?

• Reply 158 of 251
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macraja View Post

True. But they were the first one to use it on a phone. Just like to use 64-bit chips in a phone.

That's right .. 64-bit chips manufactured by Samsung.

• Reply 159 of 251
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What's that? Two Samsung TV's, but now in portrait orientation?

..And you'll be eating your words as soon as Apple releases an iPhone with a larger screen.

• Reply 160 of 251
    Quote:

I saw someone post that live tiles add no value but they do. Imagine looking at the main screen of your phone and your flight information for the day (including delays is automatically updated), scores from your favorite teams is updated, information about traffic on your drive home, reminders about an appointment and a tile letting you know your package has been shipped or is sitting on your porch at home just to name a few advantages. I had no clue how useful these would be where I don't have to look at my email or an app to get this information until I tried an Android device. Just because I happen to like this beneficial option doesn't mean I don't love my iPhone too. I just wish it had this one feature. Trust me, there are tons of features I love on my iPhone that I wish the Android did better.

I know I probably shouldn't be on this board if I don't just blindly gush over everything Apple. Sorry to upset the apple cart. Can't we all just get along?

That's great UNLESS you don't want or like that feature. Live tiles are widgets and widgets on the desktop with a 21" screen sucked. It isn't better, IMO, on a smaller screen.  Personally, I'm not really sure how you had to see it believe how useful it is. Wouldn't imagination be enough? "I had no clue...".

Great. But for those of us with better insight about our preferences, would you accept that we don't like live tiles or widgets?

By the way, what's with the persecution complex? Where does it say that you must blindly gush? On the charter? Stop being dramatic.