Samsung crows about its 'golden history' of making gold colored phones

Comments

• Reply 101 of 121
    Quote:

Originally Posted by edenroc00 View Post

@tallest skil, 6" does seem a bit large.. Part of the de.... Ok example here trying to spell a word and it's not looking correct and auto-correct is not helping. Now what, grab a actual Dictionary or open a second window?

iPhone I must push home button go to my app and then return.

Or just learn to spell...

• Reply 102 of 121
    Well, then Microsoft's Brown Zune was technically golden too.
    Hardly.
  • Reply 103 of 121
    Samsung is still a follower at heart. This behavior is built-in. Not too surprised by this "me-too" announcement.
  • Reply 104 of 121

My feeling is if Apple introduced an iPhone with >4" screen, something will be unique about it. You'd probably not notice it unless you hold it in your hand. But the photos will not show it causing the naysayers to complain about apple's tardiness to increase screen size and that's it's ho-hum. I've noticed this with the fatty iPod nano and this year with the iPhone 5C. Both seemed like no big deal until you physically interact with it. Something about the way it feels in the hand. Even the plastic 5C felt pretty substantial in a way that cannot be conveyed in photos. The click of the Lightning connector too.

• Reply 105 of 121
    What is more enjoyable is this article and it's glorious replies. It's like you're married and your partners been dissed. You seriously need to get in the real world and except all companies copy good ideas. iPhone copied, OS copied by google, Android OS and BBM copied by Apple. Smart watch idea copied by Samsung, iOS 7 clone of Android.

Great companies and we're the beneficiaries, chillax people

I... I just can't tell what you're trying to say.
  • Reply 106 of 121
    Originally Posted by Cletus View Post

I... I just can't tell what you're trying to say.

“It’s fine if Samsung steals everything that Apple does without punishment or recourse of any sort. Stop complaining about how Samsung steals from Apple. Innovate, don’t litigate.”

• Reply 107 of 121
    There's nothing to be ashamed of being a copier. It's been a very successful strategy and the ends justify the means. Or put differently, where would Nokia and Blackberry be if they had copied iPhone faster? They'd be in Samsung's shoes. Samsung needs to come out of the closet and be THE leader in copying Apple.
  • Reply 108 of 121
    There's nothing to be ashamed of being a copier. It's been a very successful strategy and the ends justify the means. Or put differently, where would Nokia and Blackberry be if they had copied iPhone faster? They'd be in Samsung's shoes. Samsung needs to come out of the closet and be THE leader in copying Apple.

Great. You hoe the field. You plant the seeds, weed it, water it. I eat the crop. No shame in that. Better I get it than your children. Better yet, what I don't eat, I'll sell for a nice profit. Me so smart! Me live long time!
  • Reply 109 of 121
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

If you want a larger touch screen buy one. Apple has them only in:

That might change, possibly with a larger iPad. The smallest 3.5" probably will get EOL-ed next year. We might get a wearable thing from Apple, though even though that probably has a touch screen I wouldn't want to put it in the category as we know it now.

As already posted, a 6 inch phone cannot possibly be in a phone category; the phone needs to be mobile, pocketable, small, in your (one) hand, in a small pocket. As mobile phones always have been - for a reason.

I also started to doubt seriously there will be an iPhone in 4.5 - 5.0" range. I know what kind of market it can serve and it seems Apple is not willing to make certain trade-ins just for this market segment. At least not now and in the near future. Customer who buys 5" phone is not a tablet buyer as well. So, the question is whether it is worth chasing this segment and risking many 4" iPhone + iPad settling with 5" iPhone or stick with current customer base? I don't know. I am not certain Apple knows, but they surely know better as myself.

• Reply 110 of 121
    That's the reason why I never will buy a Samsung product. If you buy Samsung products you communicate very clear: "I am a copycat. I don't have any own idea. I always a second mover. I never innovate by my own BUT i like to win, I like it cheap, second best.

That's OK for the most, but NOT for the rest of us.
  • Reply 111 of 121
    cletus wrote: »
    Me so smart! Me live long time!

"Me love U long time!"
    poksi wrote: »
    I also started to doubt seriously there will be an iPhone in 4.5 - 5.0" range. I know what kind of market it can serve and it seems Apple is not willing to make certain trade-ins just for this market segment. At least not now and in the near future. Customer who buys 5" phone is not a tablet buyer as well. So, the question is whether it is worth chasing this segment and risking many 4" iPhone + iPad settling with 5" iPhone or stick with current customer base? I don't know. I am not certain Apple knows, but they surely know better as myself.

Good points. And it looks like Apple is sticking with their 'non-phablet' stance, and I wholeheartedly agree. If they strt make it, fine, but don't replace the iPhone. Otherwise I will.
    sog35 wrote: »
    People who buy 5 inch phones are those who are satisfied with compromises.  A big phone is a pain for portability and one hand usability.  A big phone is still way to small to be a true content device like a tablet.  5 inch phones are huge in asia because many people only can afford one device.

Apple can get away with a 4.5 inch phone with zero bezel that still will be portable and usable with one hand.  Looking more down the road a foldable screen could be another option

Also good points. As long as they don't make the device itself any larger. I liked the older model way better; this 4" phone now sometimes gets stuck in my pockets and makes it difficult to get out, Was easier with the 3.5" But yeah, a larger screen in the same FF should work.
  • Reply 112 of 121
    "Gold" colored plastic? That's classy. Also, isn't that false advertising? "Elegance is a touch of gold"... it's neither gold or elegant....it's not even metal.
  • Reply 113 of 121
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

People who buy 5 inch phones are those who are satisfied with compromises.  A big phone is a pain for portability and one hand usability.  A big phone is still way to small to be a true content device like a tablet.  5 inch phones are huge in asia because many people only can afford one device.

Apple can get away with a 4.5 inch phone with zero bezel that still will be portable and usable with one hand.  Looking more down the road a foldable screen could be another option

I don't know, really....But 4.5" doesn't seem to serve any special purpose. If resolution stays 2x then pixel would be grater which I doubt Apple would do something like that. Enlarging it with greater resolution could generate more fuss for developers as income....As I said, I don't know, what would be the best choice. Perhaps just keep with current line.

• Reply 114 of 121
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

There's nothing to be ashamed of being a copier.

If your name is Xavier Edward Roxall.

• Reply 115 of 121

Seems to me like the advantage Samsung has with iPhone on their assembly lines is these quick "let's slap something on like the iPhone" adjustments.

I mean, how hard is it for them to slow down production on a phone they assemble?

More reasons why companies need to ditch using their competitor as their manufacturer. This is going to bite Samsung fairly soon.

• Reply 116 of 121
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

It makes one wonder why Samsung bothers with "mini" versions eg Galaxy S4 Mini, HTC is also releasing a Mini version of the One.

I guess they want to compete with the number one best selling smartphone's screen size.

Screen size is a furphy, a dead issue.

• Reply 117 of 121
    agrees with akquies

but who cares, go make a commercial about how you've had a gold colored phone 1st, then the next company can say NO we did. Then an old fashioned wall phone company can say they had a gold phone, then a company who made an old fashioned rotary phone can say they all had a gold telephone blah blah blah yada yada yada etc etc etc who cares...

hehe

first! I'll give you first, I am so far from being the FIRST living being in the universe, where does that put me? :P
  • Reply 118 of 121
    If your name is Xavier Edward Roxall.

Samsung needs to stop this ruse. The emperor has no clothes.
  • Reply 119 of 121
    It's so embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch a large company such as Shamesung try too hard. It's like watching Elaine dance...
  • Reply 120 of 121
    It's so embarrassing and uncomfortable to watch a large company such as Shamesung try too hard. It's like watching Elaine dance...

Or someone wear an urban sombrero.