Schools report Apple's iOS 7 breaks iPad supervision profiles

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    ipenipen Posts: 410member

Always wiser to wait a bit before upgrade.  Don't want to be the guinea pig.

• Reply 62 of 83
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Users have no control over the auto download. It seems some number of iOS users didn't realize that, catching them by surprise.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5403258

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5387196

"

"Users have no control over the auto download."

?

I was asked for permission before the new OS was downloaded and installed, the same with the iOS 7 maintenance upgrade I allowed over WiFi. Simple apps autodownload upgrades because I have that turned on otherwise apps wouldn't download in the background.

• Reply 63 of 83
    IOS 7:the buggiest, most flawed, most hated, etc. version of IOS yet.

I still like it but crashing of apps is not worth it (about 5 a day) what did they fix in the betas?
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Malax: I can assure I'm not. I just speak my mind- Apple's still by far #1 compared to the competition. Doesn't mean they're perfect, and sometimes I expect that considering what I pay for their stuff.
  • Reply 65 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

IOS 7:the buggiest, most flawed, most hated, etc. version of IOS yet.

I still like it but crashing of apps is not worth it (about 5 a day) what did they fix in the betas?

Buggiest, most flawed, most hated?  And your source for this is???

• Reply 66 of 83
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member

iOS 7 has been great for me so far. The only bug I've encountered is the iMessage bug where it just won't send your text. However, restarting the phone fixes that.

• Reply 67 of 83

Those of you in the past few news items who have claimed it was IT's fault need to learn a bit.

Apple currently lets any MDM be deleted despite the passcode setting. 

Apple does not give ability to prevent OS updates. Student updates OS, device no longer supervised for those who had it set up to be supervised.

It's sort of ridiculous, really. These are glaring holes.

• Reply 68 of 83
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mstone wrote: »

The issue is with you setting calendar dates 113 years in the past and being mystified when the device knows better than to do that.
    Having the ability to look back to find out what day of the week a certain date was, is one reason someone might want to scroll back their calendar.

Computers generally don't have any clue about dates before 00:00:00 UTC on 1 January 1970 . Dates before that are not stored in UNIX timestamp format which expects a positive number. There are ways to deal with dates before that time but you can't use the time() function in UNIX. You basically need to reinvent all of the methods to allow for negative numbers to work with older dates. 

Good point. That is why I use Numbers or Excel to see what day a certain date was (format as day date or dddd in Excel and enter the date)
  • Reply 69 of 83
    rogifan wrote: »
    Buggiest, most flawed, most hated?  And your source for this is???
    Buggiest is I have had 50 app crashes today, flawed there will obviously be a few errors causing bugs. Hated 50 people asked, 30 hated, past years would have been less than 10. I should probably exclude the people that tell me they can run full windows on a android phone however. The advantageous to this is none at this point from scroll glitches to deleting 24 hours of data, what happened to everything aligned!

If you think I'm a person faking all this it isn't a joke, I will show you my problems video if you like (and if I can) on the next problem.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    philboogie wrote: »
    Good point. That is why I use Numbers or Excel to see what day a certain date was (format as day date or dddd in Excel and enter the date)
    Yeah well, you can see Jesus was born on a wensday.
  • Reply 71 of 83
    charlituna wrote: »
    Total misquote. Apple has never said that their stuff is without issue, particularly for all users or use cases

"It just works" was a statement made in response to the complicated install etc process of windows computers at the time of the comment. Unlike Apple where you turn it in and it's ready to go -- it just works
    Its not exactly a misquote. Maybe misinterpretation but I remember the switch to mac page that used to be on there site which had a point with the title "it just works" and the text underneath rerenced the fact that a mac wouldnt crash.

Since then I think everyone whos owned an ipod, iphone or ipad knows how to do a force restart when they freeze. But the statment was about a mac. I dont think they've ever said the same thing for the other devices.

It is fairly impressive how many bugs like this there are in ios7 though. Particularly when you consider its mainly a ui refresh. Ive been using it since it was released and aside from stuff being in different places and looking different. I havent noticed much else.
  • Reply 72 of 83
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Its not exactly a misquote. Maybe misinterpretation but I remember the switch to mac page that used to be on there site which had a point with the title "it just works" and the text underneath rerenced the fact that a mac wouldnt crash.

Since then I think everyone whos owned an ipod, iphone or ipad knows how to do a force restart when they freeze. But the statment was about a mac. I dont think they've ever said the same thing for the other devices.

It is fairly impressive how many bugs like this there are in ios7 though. Particularly when you consider its mainly a ui refresh. Ive been using it since it was released and aside from stuff being in different places and looking different. I havent noticed much else.

Charlituna is correct that the Apple quote "it just works" refers to the ease of use and does not imply a problem-free experience. The claim "it doesn't crash" is a separate bullet point. The Wayback Machine is your friend: 

http://web.archive.org/web/20030407181018/http://www.apple.com/switch/whyswitch/

• Reply 73 of 83
    When the military was looking into using iPads for pilots, the "it just works" line is what the selling point was for Apple (despite them moving on with Playbooks lol). Google it.
  • Reply 74 of 83
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Buggiest is I have had 50 app crashes today, flawed there will obviously be a few errors causing bugs. Hated 50 people asked, 30 hated, past years would have been less than 10. I should probably exclude the people that tell me they can run full windows on a android phone however. The advantageous to this is none at this point from scroll glitches to deleting 24 hours of data, what happened to everything aligned!

If you think I'm a person faking all this it isn't a joke, I will show you my problems video if you like (and if I can) on the next problem.

That's your phone or the way you installed the OS, 50 apps crashed? Not likely. Were something that universal I'd have experienced it and none of the 127 apps I've got caused a crash on either my 5 or, now, my 5s.

I'd say get your phone repaired/replaced.

• Reply 75 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

It was dumb of them to upgrade their devices before they knew whether or not it would mess anything up. When you're dealing with something this important and this widespread, you look before you leap. You can do all the testing in the world, but no one releases major new software like this without having problems.

That is the problem, if you use Apple's Configurator at all it forces you to upgrade your devices to the latest iOS version if they devices are in supervised mode. I have yet to find a work around for blocking that action. Any device that has an issue now with a passcode or needs apps added/removed through Configurator are screwed thanks to Apple and their forceful ways.

• Reply 76 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Digitaldizza View Post

Any device that has an issue now with a passcode or needs apps added/removed through Configurator are screwed thanks to Apple and their forceful ways.

Or you could just update.

• Reply 77 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or you could just update.

Why update to a new iOS that has bugs that allow students to bypass our security settings and our MDM isn't fully compatible with iOS7 yet either. 

My point is that Apple should give us, the paying customers, the choice of upgrading or not. 

• Reply 78 of 83
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Digitaldizza View Post

Why update to a new iOS that has bugs that allow students to bypass our security settings

No, the bug was with not updating Configurator.

My point is that Apple should give us, the paying customers, the choice of upgrading or not. 

You have the choice. Don’t upgrade the devices, don’t upgrade Configurator.

• Reply 79 of 83
    Does apple have some way to report bugs, I found the 21st (of mine)-dimmed screen on call and won't allow use, rapid flashing when other person hangs up.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, the bug was with not updating Configurator.

You have the choice. Don’t upgrade the devices, don’t upgrade Configurator.

That is hardly a choice. Working with Apple's Education support channel, they *instructed* us to to install the new Configurator 1.4 after 5 of our students installed iOS7 on their devices. Even though the devices are supervised with the app store removed, the students were able to instal the new iOS without any restrictions. Once iOS7 was on the supervised devices, any changes that needed to be made to the devices via the MDM we are using or via Configurator 1.3, were no longer functioning. We couldn't remove or add apps via either. We also couldn't bring the devices out of supervised mode. Strike 1.

Configurator doesn't give you the option to disregard new iOS versions, so as soon as iOS 7 was released, our Configurator installation saw a new version available, downloaded it and now locked us into only being able to deploy iPads with the new iOS. Contacted Apple to get a work around to have Configurator "forget" that the new iOS was out and fall back on the previous version. Apple refused to help us with that issue at all. Great. Strike 2.

We had to wait the 3 days it took Apple to upgrade their Configurator (gee, departments within Apple don't communicate huh?). The damage was done at this point to our test pilot of using iPads within our school. The confidence in the iPads among the students and staff has dropped considerably and it will take a while to get that back. Strike 3.