Apple to hold media event unveiling next-generation iPads on Oct. 22

Comments

• Reply 41 of 130
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    akindc wrote: »
    Who cares about the incremental iPad updates...it's time for a mature AppleTV to be introduced.
    The box I mean, not a real TV...never saw the point in that.

Agreed- that would be the "one more thing". It will be either white and circular or black and doughnut shaped.
  • Reply 42 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

I think it is just  you (and the other negative people).  The way I see it, Apple will show us the premier, state-of-the-art tablet.  It will be the best tablet on the market for the next 12 months.  If you care about technology and tablets, this should be an interesting presentation. You don't think there's somewhere else to go to see next year's tablet do you?  Microsoft?  Samsung?  Remember, they present theirs after Apple, not before.  Yes, the presentations are professional and business like.  But it's still the first place you get to see the future.  

(Do you think both Microsoft and Samsung will be interested?  ;=)

• Reply 43 of 130
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Agree 1000% - Mr Cook, the world's former best COO, has absolutely no clue how these "one more thing" moments were valuable for Apple's brand cachet. Now what do we have? Everything that we are told in advance by everyone and their dog...nothing else.

Right. Because Tim Cook is personally leaking rumors to the web.
    Hint: you don't have to believe rumor sites.
  • Reply 44 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!

Funny,  I was thinking the same thing.. except I'm hoping for a 13" iPad.. screw the mini.

• Reply 45 of 130
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    It has been 'yep'ed
  • Reply 46 of 130
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dugbug View Post

It has been 'yep'ed

yep.

(sorry, i had to)  :-)  

• Reply 47 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress0660 View Post

Yes, its just you. 

That was a Steve Jobs thing...I doubt there will be any "One more thing" anymore in Apple's lifetime. 

I can't see how these events are dull and predictable. Its nothing different from the way when Steve was there. There were always close predictions of when the event would happen and what would be announced. Nothing has changed. 

No, it's not just him. I get where he's coming from. Just look at the people in the crowd after the 5c was introduced. Look at Al Gore specifically. They all looked pretty bored.

Aside from the Mac Pro, there haven't really been any surprises for a while.

No one has to say, "one more thing" but Jobs was about creating things people didn't even know they needed. These are things that give us a new way of interacting with technology and the world around us. There hasn't been anything like that at Apple since Steve Jobs. It's all mostly been incremental improvements.

• Reply 48 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    This would explain why the earnings are one week later. Makes senses.
  • Reply 49 of 130
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    macvicta wrote: »
    There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!

I prefer the regular ipad over the mini if its going to be lighter
  • Reply 50 of 130
    pooch wrote: »
    Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

feel free to not pay attention.

Easier said than done. How can one not pay attention?:D
  • Reply 51 of 130
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Apple knows damn well they better introduce a retina display ipad mini or their Xmas sales will suck a**!

Except no.

• Reply 52 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by leavingthebigG View Post

This event is being held BEFORE the quarterly reporting event not AFTER as has been previously done. Could this be the moment Tim follows in Steve's footsteps to pull his very own "One more thing..." event?

People were expecting a 15th announcement. Well, there is a 22nd announcement. Yesterday people were talking about the late quarterly report and what it could mean. One guy presented historical info of announcements being made AFTER late quarterly reports.

A Monday quarterly report could very well lead to a Tuesday or Wednesday "One more thing..." event. IF I were a Wall Street analyst, I would report... "Watch out Microsoft and Nintendo and Sony because the video game market is about to get a new entrant via its hobby device!!!"

You're reading way too much into this date.     In fact, I would argue the opposite.  This event is more important (to Apple) than reporting earnings, they pushed earnings back to make sure they focused on this event.     And if the customer sales date is before the 28th, then that makes for a nice store ['X00,000 iPads sold over the weekend in XX countries!] in addition to the numbers (which are supposed to be great).

Doing a 'one more thing' that impact analysts (in the eyes of Apple) would require an additional filing immediately after  (we just announced a new product that we feel is going to improve our profits/earnings/revenue, and here is the impact).  Of course if they give a historically conservative earnings number including on their knowledge of future product releases, Analysts will still bump the number by 30%, and then bump it again (wrong!).

In short, anything financial for the next 60 days is already factored has to be factored into Apple's forward looking numbers.   (my guess is that the updated revenue numbers that came late September was because they had a serious non-zero chance that the iPhone 5s or c would not ship (sell) until AFTER october 1, and they gave the 'conservative' number back in July).   Any  'One more Thing' is to piss off competitors and make for customer loyalty

Given the number of potentials

iPad(s)

AppleTV

Mavericks

likely iOS 7.1 (turn on keychain sharing)

MacBook Pro

Mac Pro

Mac Mini

iPod Touch

There will at least 3 of these not announced during the 60-90 minutes

(I opt that the mac book pros will be on the Store Site Announcement).

• Reply 53 of 130
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I prefer the regular ipad over the mini if its going to be lighter

Same here. Lighter iPad with smaller bezel, sign me up.

• Reply 54 of 130
    That is awesome news! Looking forward to upgrade my iPad 3rd Gen along with my mid 2009 MacBook Pro 17". Here's hoping Haswell based rMBP are also being shown at the event.
  • Reply 55 of 130

No, it's not just him. I get where he's coming from. Just look at the people in the crowd after the 5c was introduced. Look at Al Gore specifically.

You can actually tell when Al Gore doesn't look bored!?
  • Reply 56 of 130
    Completely agree!, yet it's astonishing how many people are taking photos with them...
  • Reply 57 of 130
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AKinDC View Post

Who cares about the incremental iPad updates...it's time for a mature AppleTV to be introduced.

The box I mean, not a real TV...never saw the point in that.

If I'm not going to buy a product, then yeah, they get a little boring, but if you are planning on buying a new product, then it might be a little more interesting.  Incremental?  Well, 32 to 64 bit is a pretty big jump, and if they make other changes as well that might be interesting.  I think they are changing the form factor of the case, which may not be a big deal to some.

• Reply 58 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Irving Muller View Post

No one has to say, "one more thing" but Jobs was about creating things people didn't even know they needed. These are things that give us a new way of interacting with technology and the world around us. There hasn't been anything like that at Apple since Steve Jobs. It's all mostly been incremental improvements.

the iPad 4 announcement last year didn't count as a surprise?

and name me one 'one more thing' that was not incremental?   A cpu upgrade, a new shape for a same function, etc.   Nothing ground breaking, just unexpected amazing value.

If anything, a 'one more thing' is where something like a 'mac Pro' is announced, and then they say… 'we could have stopped there… but we had some free cycles, so we came up with this… (and they role out a Mini Mac Pro (haswell based mini but in a small mac pro type of footprint… for $599) those are the cool releases.

• Reply 59 of 130
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    This event is being held BEFORE the quarterly reporting event not AFTER as has been previously done. Could this be the moment Tim follows in Steve's footsteps to pull his very own "One more thing..." event?

People were expecting a 15th announcement. Well, there is a 22nd announcement. Yesterday people were talking about the late quarterly report and what it could mean. One guy presented historical info of announcements being made AFTER late quarterly reports.

A Monday quarterly report could very well lead to a Tuesday or Wednesday "One more thing..." event. IF I were a Wall Street analyst, I would report... "Watch out Microsoft and Nintendo and Sony because the video game market is about to get a new entrant via its hobby device!!!"

it's NOT an announcement.

it IS a rumour of an announcement.
  • Reply 60 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I don't know. If it was spectacular enough ( and not leaked already) it would be an amazing homage to Steve to do a 'one more thing'. I think he'd approve.

The same Steve that said to never do what he would do...no, I doubt he'd approve.