Apple to hold media event unveiling next-generation iPads on Oct. 22

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 130
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Edit: Almost every time I edit a post on AI, Safari crashes ... no other web site I use does this! This is using 10.9 GM and Safari Version 7.0 (9537.71)

Same here. They’ll update it; don’t worry. It’ll be a week or so after launch, though.

• Reply 122 of 130
    I yearn for an Apple keynote that has more than incremental improvements. It's been too long since we've had "one more thing."
  • Reply 123 of 130
    Same here. They’ll update it; don’t worry. It’ll be a week or so after launch, though.

iOS 7 inspired app on the way, too?
  • Reply 124 of 130
    Better have an up to date iPad Mini Retina - A7X, M7, dual flash, 4GB RAM, IGZO display and 802.11 ac.
  • Reply 125 of 130
    These events just aren't the same without Steve Jobs. He always lent a bit of mystery as to some unexpected product. Nowadays, these events are pretty much a waste of time. Every product that Apple comes out with is met with industry scorn. The products are either too expensive or not innovative enough or don't offer enough features. There is just the generalized hate of Apple in the computer and smartphone industry where anything Apple does never meets expectations. The new iPads will be compared to the low-cost entries from Amazon and Google and will be seen as not packing enough bang for the buck. All the industry and Wall Street wants now is $200 plastic tablets, because some peasants in China can't afford to buy iPads.

I'm at a loss as to what Apple could come out with that the computer industry would get excited about. Maybe something like a tablet with the power of a high-end Haswell chip that gets 20 hour battery life and folds up so you can put it in your shirt pocket. General technology isn't that advanced and yet Apple is expected to come out with something like that. Apple is just totally screwed and Tim Cook doesn't have a clue. Everyone already hates the "trash can" Mac Pro and it hasn't even gone on sale yet. Apple's luck and share price is getting worse by the day.
  • Reply 126 of 130
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    These events just aren't the same without Steve Jobs. He always lent a bit of mystery as to some unexpected product. Nowadays, these events are pretty much a waste of time.

In the latter years with Steve, the events weren't as interesting either. Technology just ran its course. People get excited by things that are new and there are only so many new things you can do that are interesting. That's why people don't really go on about another iPad iteration these days, they've moved onto wearables like watches or TVs or some other gadget because another iPad is just another iteration of something that's already familiar.
    Every product that Apple comes out with is met with industry scorn.

You say that as if this only started recently. Apple has always had to fight to be accepted with their products.
    Everyone already hates the "trash can" Mac Pro and it hasn't even gone on sale yet.

The alternative would have been for it to be EOL, which some people would have hated or largely the same design, which few people care about these days anyway and that kind of update would have gone by largely unnoticed so it would be EOL shortly after as sales would continue to fall. They have all the sales data and their decisions reflect the data. People without the data assess their decisions based on what they assume the sales data is and where the market is going. For the 90-95% of Mac Pro buyers that don't buy expansion cards, the new Mac Pro should be better value for money than the old one and certainly better performance moving to PCIe storage from SATA 3G HDDs.
    Apple's luck and share price is getting worse by the day.

Yeah, still only valued with the highest market cap of any company in the world by a clear $65b while raking in $40b profit per year and having record product launches. People who are disappointed with that performance should just abandon Apple - sell shares, sell Apple products and never post on an Apple related forum again, just flush them entirely out of their lives.
  • Reply 127 of 130
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"Every product that Apple comes out with is met with industry scorn."

The first iPod was completely scorned: as there'd been mp3 players for a decade.

And yes, the first iPhone was practically laughed off as a complete joke. "no keyboard?"

• Reply 128 of 130
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    "no keyboard?"

"Which means it's not a very good email machine (sic)"

"A $500 phone!? We sell, we sell bla die bla which does email, texting, bla die bla and sells for $99. I like our strategy, I like it a lot"

Gonna miss this Baller guy. Big time.
  • Reply 129 of 130

So, I am guessing by 1 PM Eastern we should know if this 10/22 event is for real or not, no? Invites would need to go out today, if they follow their normal pattern.