Apple to hold media event unveiling next-generation iPads on Oct. 22

Comments

• Reply 81 of 130

I'm all in for a PowerBook G5!

• Reply 82 of 130
    macvicta wrote: »
    There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!
    That's just you. I just sold my iPad mini and I'm looking forward to moving back up in size to a full size iPad, especially one that's lighter and thinner than my old iPad 3.

Weight was one of the reasons I switched from the iPad 3 to the mini in the first place. I also missed the screen size when using the mini though.
  • Reply 83 of 130
    estyleestyle Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The iPad mini can do everything the iPad does but in a much more compact package. Those who refuse to make the switch can't let go of the past. It's time to embrace the future.

The only way a full sized iPad could best the mini is if Apple increased the screen size beyond 9.7" and/or turned it into an "iOS Pro" type device that ran some new hybrid version of iOS and OS X. Then maybe I could see why someone would choose it over the mini. Other than that, the mini is all anyone could ever need in a tablet.

The mini is where it's at, and Apple better recognize and not treat it like some red headed stepchild by crippling it with yesterday's display and processor. They better give the mini its due instead of trying to force an upsell.

unfortunately scanned medical texts don't care about the future and demand all the power and screen real estate available...

now if i could pinch and spread my ipad mini and make the screen grow and shrink, i'd buy a mini.  until that future...full size iPad for this nobody.

• Reply 84 of 130
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Is it just me, or are these events getting very, very long in the tooth?

Just one more "One more thing..." would reinvigorate the masses. As it is, these are old, predictable, and outright dull.

What the **** are you expecting, dancing chimpanzees? They're events meant to show off better versions of products that hundreds of millions of people use and love, in terms of both hardware and software, and always contain a few surprises. You probably don't even know what you want. Apple is not going to release new random shit for the hell of it. 

• Reply 85 of 130
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

So, Mavericks, iPad(s?), Mac Pro ready yet?

64bit iPad, new camera, possible finger print sensor, new chassis, better battery life? New Apple iPad case?? new iPad colors???

Some additional info on Mavericks maybe or rehash, iOS7 adoption rate, iPhone weekend launch weekend sales figures? Some dev videos, some ads, 3rd party guest demo, that must be 45 minutes at least, then Mac Pro time? Videos, demos, benchmarks, Its got to be at least 90 minutes (of pure gadget lover entertainment).

• Reply 86 of 130
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Yes, its just you. 

That was a Steve Jobs thing...I doubt there will be any "One more thing" anymore in Apple's lifetime. 

Well, it used to be a Steve Jobs thing. Now it's a Samsung thing.
  • Reply 87 of 130
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    There better be a Retina mini, otherwise they're wasting our time. Nobody even cares about the regular iPad anymore, it's all about the mini. Give me the Retina mini or give me death!

OUR time? NOBODY

You mean your time and you.

Don't confuse your opinions for fact. There are a lot of us out in the world that still care about the full sized iPad and/or don't need the Mini to be retina or it is crap
  • Reply 88 of 130
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Agree 1000% - Mr Cook, the world's former best COO, has absolutely no clue how these "one more thing" moments were valuable for Apple's brand cachet. Now what do we have? Everything that we are told in advance by everyone and their dog...nothing else.

I'm sure that Mr. Cook does know how great those moments were, but also knows that he's not Steve and that it wouldn't work for him.     Even by Steve, who did them remarkably well, "one more thing..." was becoming silly because it was always expected.   It's like the fake encores that bands play at concerts.   They simply hold back one song, walk off the stage and wait for everyone to yell, "Encore!"   Then they come back.  Most of the time, they don't even bother turning up the house lights to fool you.     I've seen some musicians rebel against this and say, "look, we're not doing an encore...we're just going to play all the songs we intended to play without playing the game of walking off the stage."

As brilliant a presenter as Steve was, if you go back and watch the videos of the events, there are plenty of moments when Steve says something and you can see he was expecting a big reaction and he doesn't receive it.    I always found those moments a bit uncomfortable.    There's only so many times you can call something "insanely great".   

"One more thing" doesn't work today because Apple has been rolling out its products at separate events.    So we had the iPhones a few weeks ago and the iPads now.   So if you fragment the events like that, what could you possibly show as "one more thing"?

Also, as the product lines become mature, you have to wonder if the events are necessary at all for the times when the product being shown is just an evolutionary upgrade.     Maybe doing the annual Developers Conference presentation is enough and the rest of the year, unless it's something totally new, can just be a press announcement. 

The only way "one more thing" would work today is if it was something that was absolutely not expected by anybody and had not been ever rumored.     Like an Apple robot, car, bicycle or refrigerator.     Or something that's been rumored but would still be completely unexpected now, like an Apple TV set or the Apple watch.     Even if they announced that the MacPro was final and shipping in two weeks, I don't think  people would get that excited and it would seem out of place at an iPad announcement. 

• Reply 89 of 130
    bokesbokes Posts: 4member

Why start this silly debate?
    Out on the streets of Manhattan I see FAR more iPads vs mini's.
    Plenty do still care.
    RIP
  • Reply 90 of 130
    It about time! A7X I hope instead of the A7! 802.11 ac and 4GB RAM, IGZO display! Make it so!
  • Reply 91 of 130
    The iPad mini can do everything the iPad does but in a much more compact package. Those who refuse to make the switch can't let go of the past. It's time to embrace the future.

The only way a full sized iPad could best the mini is if Apple increased the screen size beyond 9.7" and/or turned it into an "iOS Pro" type device that ran some new hybrid version of iOS and OS X. Then maybe I could see why someone would choose it over the mini. Other than that, the mini is all anyone could ever need in a tablet.

The mini is where it's at, and Apple better recognize and not treat it like some red headed stepchild by crippling it with yesterday's display and processor. They better give the mini its due instead of trying to force an upsell.

Again, big pile of your opinion. Only this time you had a side of 'and if you don't agree you are stupid' trolling subtext
  • Reply 92 of 130
    maccherry wrote: »
    Apple knows damn well they better introduce a retina display ipad mini or their Xmas sales will suck a**!
    Or they won't and it will still sell like mad.
  • Reply 93 of 130
    akindc wrote: »
    Who cares about the incremental iPad updates...it's time for a mature AppleTV to be introduced.
    The box I mean, not a real TV...never saw the point in that.

Faster processor, better graphics, AC would be great. But we need the store side to really make it shine. Better quality files, better pricing, better release schedules, filling in old TV seasons, parity with features from disks. They get that together and things will really go wild.
  • Reply 94 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You can actually tell when Al Gore doesn't look bored!?

They mean to imply that Gore wishes Apple would stop copying Samsung and get on with innovation. Or some such Fandroid fantasy.

• Reply 95 of 130
    akindc wrote: »
    . Cable box pass though so it could really control the TV would be great too.

Unlikely to happen. Apple seems to clearly be going the route of getting apps for all channels. Which would be even better than having a separate box. Provided they can get all cable providers in on it

Add direct subscriptions and detach the apps from the OS so we download what we want and ignore the rest and that would be awesome
  • Reply 96 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Is it too much to ask for 2GB RAM in the full size iPad? I have a 3rd gen and Safari tabs constantly crash. I also have frequent app crashes.
  • Reply 97 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

I have to agree with the long in the tooth comments. OK, a new iPad, it's not game changing anymore.

And the copies are, I suppose?

• Reply 98 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Or they won't and it will still sell like mad.
    What would a non retina mini have that would make it a compelling product over the current gen?
  • Reply 99 of 130
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The one more thing I would like would be either the Apple TV with AppStore, or a matching expansion chassis for the Mac Pro that can also serve as a stand alone itunes server for the consumer market
  • Reply 100 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

22nd makes sense.   Ship date… ideally 'something' will be available before the 31st to get a final bump on Q4 revenue.

I would think Friday the 25th.  Make for a interesting earnings call the next week.  

Ummm.  Apple's 2013 fiscal year ended on September 28th, so October 22nd (and the 31st) would be in Q1 of FY2014 (calendar Q4 of 2013).