Mac shipments continue to shrink as Apple loses ground in US PC market

Comments

• Reply 101 of 281
    Originally Posted by zBernie in 1998

Ive discussed the iMac in numerous Mac forums, and many think the iMac is dysfunctional. People are astonished to find that this “all in one” has no floppy drive, and feel that it was removed prematurely, for the sake of pushing consumers towards purchasing CD content. The argument that the floppy drive is antiquated is ludicrous. There are still $millions in sales of videos, audio, and software. I often use the the floppy drive in my 1996 PowerMac to [whatever you can do with 1.4MB]. Of course you can buy an external drive, and hang one more ugly piece of equipment from you iMac, but you shouldn’t have to.

*cough*

• Reply 102 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

*cough*

The iMac is just colored plastic and no internal expansion.

• Reply 103 of 281
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    zbernie wrote: »
    Of course you can buy an external drive, and hang one more ugly piece of equipment from you iMac, but you shouldn't have to.

Of course you can buy a previous generation iMac instead of hanging around internet forums to post one more ugly piece of nonsense from you made up Mac, but you shouldn't. You really shouldn't!

PS: You burn playlists? Seriously? WTF is wrong with you? You sound like those douche bags that complained when the consortium that torrent TVs finally switched from the antiquated AVI/XviD to MP4/H.264. Their biggest complaint: I can no longer burn the AVI to play in my CD player. Get a fuçking Roku!
  • Reply 104 of 281
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, that's actually exactly what he was doing. He countered the "windows is garbage" argument by specifically linking to marketshare. Try working on your reading comprehension. 

Work on your own reading comprehension.  He countered the "Windows is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about" argument with numbers about market share.  If Apple has nothing to worry about with OS X, then why is their market share not improving?  Windows can still be garbage, but its marketshare keeps people on Windows.

Apple has done an excellent job of getting the consumer market so stirred up with iOS devices that businesses, and the industry in general, have followed suit.  Apps come out first for iOS devices before most other mobile platforms.  Mindshare that drives marketshare that drives mindshare, etc.   The same cannot be said for OS X devices.  Businesses continue to ignore them, federal government IT can't stand them (please - just give them an integrated freakin' smartcard reader already, will ya?), and the software market continues to develop most apps for Windows machines, first.  That's not a testament to how great Windows is.  That's a testament to the marketshare of Windows.

• Reply 105 of 281
    Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Windows can still be garbage, but its marketshare keeps people on Windows.

See, “it is because it is” is the most tenuous argument possible and the worst position in which a company can be.

And OS X’s marketshare against Windows is growing, by the way.

• Reply 106 of 281
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    wierdninja wrote: »
    I think my IQ dropped about 20 points reading your response.

I'm not sure that's possible.
  • Reply 107 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That link is supposed to prove what, exactly? DO you think marketshare has something to do with, oh I don't know, the fact that Apple doesn't even sell a laptop for under $1K, and that every fucking OEM under the sun sells Windows PCs for like $200 and up? Yes, windows is garbage. No amount of marketshare can negate that. People aren't going out of their way to buy Windows machines. They just buy a cheap laptop (HP, Acer, etc) and it just happens to run windows. When someone buys a Mac, they've gone out of their way to specifically buy a Mac. 

Don't forget the business side of the equation: What business wants to support an OS X device when the device can't access the systems that the business uses?  Cisco support for VoIP clients on OS X?  No feature parity with Windows.  Cisco/Juniper VPN support (especially client inspection)?  Sucks.  802.1X/NAC for OS X?  Always an also ran to Windows (try doing machine and user auth with certificates in OS X).  The ability to remotely manage the system, control software deployments, apply policies, etc.?  Always an also ran to Windows, especially with 3rd party support.  Has DISA even issued a STIG for Lion, much less Mountain Lion?  No.  

Windows has the marketshare, which means the vendors provide better/faster support for Windows, which sells more Windows machines, which keeps their marketshare up, etc.

• Reply 108 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

See, “it is because it is” is the most tenuous argument possible and the worst position in which a company can be.

And OS X’s marketshare against Windows is growing, by the way.

Apple OS X device sales are dropping, but marketshare is growing against Windows.  Wow - that's fucking awesome.  Our sales aren't shit, but dammit we're doing better than Windows!  See - we got an extra 1% marketshare in 2013!  Woo-hoo!

If OS X marketshare is growing against Windows, it's because Windows sales are dropping faster than OS X sales due to iOS device proliferation.  Hopefully, the October news will be better for Mac sales, but the last three quarters don't paint a rosy picture compared to the previous 4 quarters (which all showed consistent declines in growth, unfortunately).  http://investor.apple.com/results.cfm

Q3 2013: The Company sold 3.8 million Macs, compared to 4 million in the year-ago quarter. 

Q2 2013: The Company sold just under 4 million Macs, compared to 4 million in the year-ago quarter

Q1 2013: The Company sold 4.1 million Macs, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago quarter

Q4 2012: The Company sold 4.9 million Macs during the quarter, a 1 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter

Q3 2012: The Company sold 4.0 million Macs during the quarter, a two percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.

Q2 2012: The Company sold 4 million Macs during the quarter, a 7 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.

Q1 2012: The Company sold 4.89 million Macs during the quarter, a 26 percent unit increase over the year-ago quarter.

• Reply 109 of 281
    Let me repeat, the numbers are fictitious pulled from where there is no sunlight (or Redmond).

They figured apple gave them a gift to manipulate the stock another week (by apple announcing a later report date).

Apple will report good numbers. Expect increase not a decrease of 11 percent. Total BS.
  • Reply 110 of 281
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

Sales are shrinking and willl continue to shrink, but who cares?  PCs and Laptops arent the future, so it's ridiculous debating the undeniable fact that sales will continue to drop.

• Reply 111 of 281
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    zbernie wrote: »
    I've discussed the new iMac in numerous Mac forums, and many think the new iMac
    is dysfunctional. People are astonished to find that this "all in one" has no
    optical drive, and feel that it was removed prematurely, for the sake of pushing
    consumers towards purchasing more content from apple. The argument that the
    optical drive is antiquated is ludicrous. There are still $billions in sales of
    videos, audio, and software. I often use the the super drive in my 2011 iMac to
    rip CD's, burn movies, burn playlists, give photos and videos to friends, etc.
    Of course you can buy an external drive, and hang one more ugly piece of
    equipment from you iMac, but you shouldn't have to.

And the SD card reader is located on the back? Really? Now that's convenient.
    And no USB ports in a convenient location either? That's ridiculous. I have
    two USB extension cables running from the back of my iMac, just so I can have
    quick access to a USB port. Most people I've conversed with don't give a crap
    about how thin the new iMac is -- It still looks the same from the front.

Give me 1" iMac with an optical drive and some conveniently placed ports, and
    then I'll consider purchasing one. I plan on keeping my 2011 for as long as
    possible.

Have you heard of the internet or idevice? Apple is missing out on the CD market. How am I suppose to buy music in non digital format from Apple? /s
    The iMac is just colored plastic and no internal expansion.

Real post? If not, iMacs are aluminum and the vast majority don't care about the latter.
    runbuh wrote: »
    Work on your own reading comprehension.  He countered the "Windows is garbage, Apple has nothing to worry about" argument with numbers about market share.  If Apple has nothing to worry about with OS X, then why is their market share not improving?  Windows can still be garbage, but its marketshare keeps people on Windows.

Apple has done an excellent job of getting the consumer market so stirred up with iOS devices that businesses, and the industry in general, have followed suit.  Apps come out first for iOS devices before most other mobile platforms.  Mindshare that drives marketshare that drives mindshare, etc.   The same cannot be said for OS X devices.  Businesses continue to ignore them, federal government IT can't stand them (please - just give them an integrated freakin' smartcard reader already, will ya?), and the software market continues to develop most apps for Windows machines, first.  That's not a testament to how great Windows is.  That's a testament to the marketshare of Windows.

No it's not. IT is afraid of change. Job security with Windows.
  • Reply 112 of 281
    rayz wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's possible.

How would you know, you're dead from the neck up.
  • Reply 113 of 281
    No surprise. Last year, rMBP was literally the only game in town for retina display, and Ultrabooks comparable in build quality to MBA were only beginning to come out. This year, the PC vendors have finally delivered retina display laptops and ultrabooks you'd actually want to buy, while Apple's offerings have changed only incrementally, leaving existing users with little incentive to upgrade.
  • Reply 114 of 281
    slurpy wrote: »
    What a mind-numbingly idiotic rant. Every line just got stupider and stupider, so I won't even bother. You're bitching about Bluray on an iMac? In 2013? Not a single person I know buys bluray discs. Not even for a bluray player attached to an HDTV, nevermind an iMac. But yeah, keep wishing for Apple to add archaic, obsolete technology with no future into their computers, and please, switch to a Windows PC and spare us your drivel.

Walk into any Best Buy and there are aisles and aisles of blurays. Everyone I know buys blurays and has a collection of blurays. My PS3 plays bluray beautifully. As for every other PC maker, bluray drives are a matter of fact. Bluray will be around for a long time. By the way, I do play bluray on my iMac via external drive and an third party software. I, as a fan of Apple was just thinking out loud, about how nice it would be to have an internal bluray drive that played on OSX natively. I have said nothing derogatory to anyone in this forum. You are the third person to say something stupid and rude. Not one of your arguments have any facts to support anything you say. Now I'll just go any watch a Bluray and laugh.
  • Reply 115 of 281
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

Walk into any Best Buy and there are aisles and aisles of blurays. Everyone I know buys blurays and has a collection of blurays. My PS3 plays bluray beautifully. As for every other PC maker, bluray drives are a matter of fact. Bluray will be around for a long time. Get your head out of your -ss. By the way moron, I do play bluray on my iMac via external drive and an third party software. I, as a fan of Apple was just thinking out loud, about how nice it would be to have an internal bluray drive that played on OSX natively. The only thing mind numbing is to have to answer a flat headed moronic Neanderthal like you because you can't say anything without insulting someone. Your words are beyond stupid. I only responded to you because I think you are the troll. I have said nothing derogatory to anyone in this forum. You are the third person to say something stupid and rude. Not one of your arguments have any facts to support anything you say. You just prove your ignorance by opening your mouth. Now I'll just go any watch a Bluray and laugh about what a dope you are.

I have a Blu Ray player and watch them regularly on an HDTV.  Red Box is almost always out of Blu Ray before DVD. That said, why does it matter if the iMac has a Blu Ray drive? I rarely used my DVD drive in my 2000 Dell computer.  I have a 2008 Mac Pro with a DVD drive and I use it like every other year.   It makes perfect sense to take the optical drive out and let the few people need one to attach an external drive. An external is actually better because you can share between computers.  

If you are part of the .000001% of people that use an optical drive regularly and get your panties in a twist over having it attached externally, then buy the current Mac Pro. The horror of having an external drive must be worth the extra $1500 to get a Pro.

I'll take your word for it that you are a smart person, which is why I didn't suggest buying a Windoz machine. =)

• Reply 116 of 281
    slurpy wrote: »
    What a mind-numbingly idiotic rant. Every line just got stupider and stupider, so I won't even bother. You're bitching about Bluray on an iMac? In 2013? Not a single person I know buys bluray discs. Not even for a bluray player attached to an HDTV, nevermind an iMac. But yeah, keep wishing for Apple to add archaic, obsolete technology with no future into their computers, and please, switch to a Windows PC and spare us your drivel. You're nothing but a troll. 

I would love for an iMac with a Blu-ray drive. I was hopeful of that in 2010. But then seeing the trend of the Macs, I knew it was foolish to expect one anymore.

I certainly am not bitching about it in 2013 like wierdninja here. But for me it is a nice-to-have. And since I would be beyond stupid to think it would ever come to a Mac, I have bought an external Sony Blu-ray drive, which works without any issues on my iMac. No complaints there.

Having said that, Blu-ray still is a pretty viable option. Maybe Apple should strike a deal with the movie studios to include a 'movie package' to be offered on iTunes, which would include the movie + the special features offered by discs. Till then, there are a lot of people who love documentaries and making-ofs and commentaries on their favourite movies.

So when I buy a Blu-ray, I buy it for the entire package. And when I already got a hard copy of the movie, I don't want to re-buy it on iTunes, which is why I use by Blu-ray drive to allow me to have a copy running on iTunes as well!
  • Reply 117 of 281
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by runbuh View Post

Apple OS X device sales are dropping, but marketshare is growing against Windows.  

What's sales? This is just guesstimate from third party that usually have any clue about but tech presses love to quote them. As for numbers you posted you can see for yourself that there was increase and decrease. meh.

• Reply 118 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

Walk into any Best Buy and there are aisles and aisles of blurays. Everyone I know buys blurays and has a collection of blurays. My PS3 plays bluray beautifully. As for every other PC maker, bluray drives are a matter of fact. Bluray will be around for a long time. Get your head out of your -ss. By the way moron, I do play bluray on my iMac via external drive and an third party software. I, as a fan of Apple was just thinking out loud, about how nice it would be to have an internal bluray drive that played on OSX natively. The only thing mind numbing is to have to answer a flat headed moronic Neanderthal like you because you can't say anything without insulting someone. Your words are beyond stupid. I only responded to you because I think you are the troll. I have said nothing derogatory to anyone in this forum. You are the third person to say something stupid and rude. Not one of your arguments have any facts to support anything you say. You just prove your ignorance by opening your mouth. Now I'll just go any watch a Bluray and laugh about what a dope you are.

Not to sound as progressively aggressive as you are, but I've never seen any person around me who buys Blu-Ray disks (though they do know pretty much exactly what it is and what is does). Apple seems to be the only company that understands the future every single time, and actually set out to do things that define the future as well. The era of optical disks is about to end. Everything is now on the cloud, which is much easier for everyone to obtain.

So, the external drives are for the ones like you who continue to prefer optical disks in the world of internet. Also, the whole removable content carriers (like thumb drives) will be soon out of date when the internet is powerful and accessible enough. That's what I feel.

• Reply 119 of 281
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

Given Apple would never lower the price I would at least expect the CPU speed to be increased to justify the cost. For a machine which first launched at a relatively competitive price, now 10 months down the road just looks uncompetitive.

If Haswell hasn't been available at the price point or quantities that Apple wants up until this point then they should have refreshed the MBP a few months ago with 802.11ac, PCIe SSD and a clock speed increase. Then introduce Haswell when available. That way whenever a customer wishes to purchase a new machine they are getting an up to date machine. At the moment if somebody purchases a MBP they are getting a year out of date machine.

Exactly, that happened to those smaller speed bump upgrades that we had years ago?

• Reply 120 of 281
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crysisftw View Post

Not to sound as progressively aggressive as you are, but I've never seen any person around me who buys Blu-Ray disks (though they do know pretty much exactly what it is and what is does). Apple seems to be the only company that understands the future every single time, and actually set out to do things that define the future as well. The era of optical disks is about to end. Everything is now on the cloud, which is much easier for everyone to obtain.

So, the external drives are for the ones like you who continue to prefer optical disks in the world of internet. Also, the whole removable content carriers (like thumb drives) will be soon out of date when the internet is powerful and accessible enough. That's what I feel.

This works for HD as long as you have more atleast around 24Mbps connection and not everybody has them. Another thing is that the HD rental market eg just sucks outside the US. The amount of titles is just horrible and now even itunes has dumped the rental on many titles (eg netflix/viaplay what a joke of a service outside the US). Who buys movies today? I dont know why you would want to own something that you watch 1-2 times...