Comments

• Reply 161 of 281

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdninja View Post

The new iMac's are nice.

I agree.

Quote:

But, no DVD drive built in or even hope of Blu-ray.

That's the same stance people tried to take on floppy drives. How's that collection of floppies working out for you? There's no optical drives on any tablet either, why is nobody complaining about that? The answer is that by and large, consumer usage habits don't require it. The optical drive is a vestigial organ that has little use for most. Even for desktops & laptops, digital distribution of consumer (including gaming) and professional software as well as A/V media is has become the norm. If you're already really invested in the optical media though - buy an external drive (you can even get a DVD+BD burner if you like). Don't want to re-buy the library of several hundred DVD's you've picked up over the years from a digital store? Rip them yourself using the aforementioned external drive (I did, it's been great having all those old DVD's available at the push of a button).

Quote:

Thunderbolt ports with nothing to plug into it other than a couple of high priced HDDs i cant even find at my local Best Buy.

Your personal ability to locate them notwithstanding, Sonnet, Belkin, LaCie, Promise, Blackmagic, ElGato and other hardware manufacturers would like to disagree. That one Thunderbolt port can also provide a point of connection (and plentiful bandwidth) for virtually every other kind of input: Fiber Channel, Gigabit Ethernet, USB, Firewire, eSATA, ExpressCard/34, analog & digital audio capture and output, analog & digital video capture. It also provides an easy way to continue using some of those legacy PCI cards you may still have via one of several manufacturers expansion chassis. Coupled with the fact that DisplayPort is piggy-backed on it, it more or less provides universal pipe for any connectivity you might need. It does all that without physically cluttering your computer with an array of ports (most of which any giver individual may never use), and without adding the overhead for the connectivity one doesn't need. And yes, there are already products on shelves to do all that.

Quote:

No touch screen like many Windows 8 PCs now enjoy. 

And until there's a paradigm shift and someone creates an operating environment that makes touchscreen input truly meaningful on a typical desktop computing configuration, that's virtually useless.

Quote:

Having to reach behind the iMac to plug in an SD card or USB memory stick is downright awkward and backwards, bordering on the impossible at times.

Some people more than others. However, this goes back to the first point regarding optical drives. Why go out of your way to accommodate something that isn't an issue for the majority of your target audience? The sneaker-net is on it's last legs. It's given way as digital devices have become increasingly wireless-networking enabled, and wireless networks have seen their performance increase so much. Apple's Bonjour and AirDrop technologies are aimed directly at addressing this issue. Coupled with 'cloud' storage, the portable storage device has a limited lifespan left. So why make significant design decisions around a 'feature' that you don't have a reason to think is valuable to most of your user base? And if it is an issue for any particular user, they can get an extra USB hub and/or SD card reader to accommodate their special needs.

Quote:

I have a 2011 iMac which I love, but may be my last iMac. Dell's latest 27 inch All in one, is pretty compelling. Hdmi in, Blu-Ray, touchscreen, are all there. Other PC makers offer you these extras too. No matter what Apple's ideals are, people still want these options in their PCs.

Ah, you've fallen prey to the marketing. "Now you too can do all those things..." (not that you actually will, or even want to, but you could. ;)) People have been convinced they want all the bells and whistles, but in fact what they want is the particular options that satisfy their needs. The difference between Apple and most (if not all) other manufacturers is that apple does considerable research on usage, and builds to the majority of the actual usage patterns - the others take the kitchen sink approach and toss a plethora of 'features' in (many of which end up unused by the majority). With an iMac, for example, you still have the option of doing all those things via the expansion options, but not at the expense of cramming more hardware into the box that many of us won't use.

Quote:

Granted a lot of Apples sales are now iPads,

Not sure how this is relevant...

Quote:

there will always be a market for people who need and want the versatility and the power of a full blown PC.

Define "power". Is that raw compute power? If so the quad-core i7 iMac is actually a pretty potent contender. If, on the other hand, you need the absolute maximum render capability, then any all-in-one solution (including the iMac) is probably not going to be viable. For anything less than that, the iMac is one of the better options out there. Is there another relevant, meaningful measure of power specific to the computer you're thinking of?

People toss around the word, but what is "versatility"? Does internal expansion or options soldered to the mainboard define 'versatile' in this context? Why? All things being equal, does placing a hard drive in an external case cause it to transfer data slower? Does a disk in an external optical drive burn slower? Does a mouse connected to an external hub not track as quickly? Cramming everything into the box doesn't make it all function any better, and can be a significant liability.

Quote:

We still watch DVDs and Blu-rays.

But less and less with every passing day. I'm curious, are you watching them on your computer, or on a big-screen? If it's the former, you can still watch them just as easily (actually, easier) if you rip them. If it's the latter, you can still watch them just as easily (again, if not even more so, via an AppleTV, for example).

Quote:

Many of us have capped internet plans, so steaming everything or downloading media is not an option.

Of course, we all work with what we have, and I refer you to my previous point.

Quote:

We still would like to use our huge 27 inch monitors for our Xbox's or PS3's(once an option on iMac's).

I know that there those that do, however I prefer my games on my 60" plasma. But if you must, then I refer you to the Kanex HD, it'll allow you to send an HDMI signal to your iMac in target display mode.

Quote:

Even on the MacPro side, expandability, has become limited to a mass of wires.

No, it really hasn't. And if extra cabling is your bane, there are already expansion chassis options available that over a thunderbolt connection will hold multiple PCI cards and a dozen hard/optical drives in one box. Problem solved with one extra connection - plus, you're not overheating those devices by locking them in the oven heated by the main processor (and GPUs). The only thing you can't realistically do with a design like the new MacPro is expand with more GPUs, and even that will only hold true for a couple more iterations of bus technology like Thunderbolt - at which point there won't be any difference.

Quote:

Apple has lost its way for me.

Or rather, Apple has a vision which you haven't had the opportunity to come to understand yet. ;)

Quote:

Apple keeps taking away options.

The floppy drive agrees ... but were the options things we actually need? The upside though, is that in return for taking away optional uselessness, we're given useful possibilities. :)

Quote:

iTunes is definitely one motivation for them. Make it dramatically easier to download something rather than just pop in a disc.

Yeah, I hate it when companies make it easier for me to do things too... :/

Quote:

I guess I'm part of the marketshare Apple is no longer interested in keeping.

Don't worry, you can change. ;)

Quote:

This is shortsighted.

You think that because you don't have the longview.

Quote:

Android tablets are getting better and better with each passing year. iOS 7 just looks horrid on an iPad. So marketshare will shrink there too in time. I love OSX. I love iOS 6.

You've skipped the tracks a bit here, but:

No Android tablets are not getting better, well not in any practical sense anyhow.

- I'd disagree on iOS 7 aesthetics, but that's subjective anyway.

- Your conclusion regarding marketshare isn't supported by your statements.

- It's great that you love OS X and iOS 6.

Quote:

The hardware is not enough to keep me buying anymore.

What hardware are you actually missing by opting for an iMac over some other all-in-one (that can't be had with an add-on)?

Quote:

Maybe Its just time to move back to Windows. SIGH....

Or you could just run Windows in a VM or with the help of BootCamp. :)

• Reply 162 of 281

Greatrix,

Just bought a new 27" iPad. Trouble is, my old 24" iPad is getting a bit cramped. It is bristling with external paraphernalia. Am giving it to the wife. Now have the task of transferring my Adobe programs etc. to the new machine.

• Reply 163 of 281
    relic wrote: »

These don't have a TB hub, often overlooked when people compare 27" prices. Specifically ignored when 'reviewed' by 'reviewers'.
  • Reply 164 of 281
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by greatrix View Post

Greatrix,

Just bought a new 27" iPad. Trouble is, my old 24" iPad is getting a bit cramped. It is bristling with external paraphernalia. Am giving it to the wife. Now have the task of transferring my Adobe programs etc. to the new machine.

Holly crap that is a huge tablet.

• Reply 165 of 281
    argonaut wrote: »
    Love my MBA 11", LOVE my new iPhone 5s  !

Still love my old Quad G5....  BUT, m<span style="line-height:1.4em;">y credit card is waiting for the new Mac Pro !   Come on Apple :-)</span>

Talk about old school. Skip that, talk about SM.

mvigod wrote: »
    When was the last time you saw an iMac ad? You have to market. Apple left iMac for dead

By constantly innovating it further?
    jragosta wrote: »
    Why are you touching your computer screen? And what's dated about the screen?

Maybe he wants to feel her skin.
  • Reply 166 of 281
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    greatrix wrote: »
    Greatrix,

I want the 24" iPad! :)
  • Reply 167 of 281
    wierdninja wrote: »
    I think my IQ dropped about 20 points reading your response.

I don't think that's possible when one only has a single digit to work with ¡
  • Reply 168 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I want the 24" iPad! image

Yea, me too, if not just for Angry Birds Star Wars.

• Reply 169 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Maybe he wants to feel her skin.

• Reply 170 of 281
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    wierdninja wrote: »
    Dell's latest 27 inch All in one, is pretty compelling. Hdmi in, Blu-Ray, touchscreen, are all there. Other PC makers offer you these extras too. No matter what Apple's ideals are, people still want these options in their PCs. .

I suppose if you don't mind paying too much for crapware, that makes sense.

Let's see. Apple's 27" iMac starts at $1799 with 3.2 GHz i5 quad core and 1 GB of video RAM, discrete video, and 8 GB of RAM (expandable to 32 GB)

For $1599, Dell gives you:
    400 MHz slower CPU
    shared video RAM
    Intel graphics
    8 GB of RAM (with maximum also at 8 GB)
    HDMI and eSATA - both of which are vastly inferior to Apple's Thunderbolt
    A history of inferior quality and customer service.
    Oh, but you do get a slot loaded DVD drive (for $99, you can get an external DVD drive for your iMac that you can move to different systems).
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-27-2720-aio/pd?oc=dxcwls394&model_id=xps-27-2720-aio&&ref=2578xc

Sorry, but I fail to see how the Dell is a better deal.
  • Reply 171 of 281
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

One thing that should tell people that Blu-ray isn't working in the modern era is that even among optical discs it's still a distant second to DVD Check out the next Red Box kiosk you see and check how many of them are Blu-ray. But Red Box is for the el cheapo crowd so Blu-ray isn't a big deal to them, right? I guess that would be a valid argument if Blockbuster didn't crumble years ago and Netflix didn't move the majority of its business to streaming.

True.  Streaming is the future- no doubt.  But Blu-Ray's still increase market share quarter after quarter.  It's now 30% vs DVD's 70% of share.  And the first 6 months of 2013- Blu-Ray discs were up 15% in sales.  Internet streaming grew a whopping 32.13%, VOD 6.9% (who uses VOD- weird).  To go more on your point of Blockbuster crumbling and Netflix changing focus: 12.55% decrease in rental brick and mortar, and 20.9% online outlet (netflix).  Redbox showed a 3.59% decrease.

But at the end of the day- of the $8.6 Billion in spending- only $1.5 Billion was streaming.  So physical media is still in the lead by a large margin.  And once streaming surpasses it, it will still be a niche.  No way it dies completely before 2020.  My hope is that our ISPs and Digital Media can surpass Blu-Ray's audio (drastically superior) and video quality prior to them becoming extinct.  Until then, I'll be enjoying my Blu-Rays AND streaming Netflix.  :)

• Reply 172 of 281
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    andysol wrote: »
    True.  Streaming is the future- no doubt.  But Blu-Ray's still increase market share quarter after quarter.  It's now 30% vs DVD's 70% of share.  And the first 6 months of 2013- Blu-Ray discs were up 15% in sales.  Internet streaming grew a whopping 32.13%, VOD 6.9% (who uses VOD- weird).  To go more on your point of Blockbuster crumbling and Netflix changing focus: 12.55% decrease in rental brick and mortar, and 20.9% online outlet (netflix).  Redbox showed a 3.59% decrease.

But at the end of the day- of the $8.6 Billion in spending- only $1.5 Billion was streaming.  So physical media is still in the lead by a large margin.  And once streaming surpasses it, it will still be a niche.  No way it dies completely before 2020.  My hope is that our ISPs and Digital Media can surpass Blu-Ray's audio (drastically superior) and video quality prior to them becoming extinct.  Until then, I'll be enjoying my Blu-Rays AND streaming Netflix.  :)

You've missed a huge portion of streaming video because you didn't count as supported streaming. If you consider the amount of time per average eyeball streaming kills all optical media. YouTube alone probably kills it.
  • Reply 173 of 281
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    andysol wrote: »

If it's such a big deal, get one of these:
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402405,00.asp

Having an external box on my Mac isn't a big enough problem to make me want to switch to Windows.
  • Reply 174 of 281
    Why do you assume I didn't, I've read the reviews and they all said the same thing, the monitor is on par with the Apple display in terms of viewing quality because it's the same panel, color gamut as well. It amazes me how rude some of you are.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2049042/monoprice-glass-panel-pro-review-affordable-alternative-to-apple-display.html
    http://www.macworld.com/product/1252517/27-ips-led-crystalpro-monitor-wqhd.html
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/mac/entry/monoprice-27-ips-led-crystalpro-monitor/
    ...and two more that are cheap with fantastic panel technology
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/aoc-i2757fh-viewsonic-vx2770smh-ah-ips,3385.html

Yes the Apple is prettier and includes Thunderbolt but a two year old panel that started at 1,000 dollars has no business still being a 1,000 dollars. Not when other manufactures are starting to use the same panel in their cheaper models. That's my whole point, I'm not bad mouthing Apple here so don't take it so personal.

So besides a low comprehension of technical info you also have a low comprehension of business where you outright claim the most successful PC OEM has "no business" sense.
  • Reply 175 of 281
    This really seems to have a relationship to product refresh. MacBook Pros have been held hostage for nearly 6 months now. I know I am waiting and have been ever since PCIe storage and Haswells were announced, because it is a major performance update. It would be quite unwise to buy (or have bought) a MBP in the last 6 months, and I highly doubt I'm alone. What the hell is Apple holding out on? They are taking their sweet time pushing the update to the highest selling product, seems fishy. Like there is a plan, but no one (in the outside world) knows what it is.
  • Reply 176 of 281
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

If it's such a big deal, get one of these:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2402405,00.asp

Having an external box on my Mac isn't a big enough problem to make me want to switch to Windows.

A Samsung product?  Come on now jrag.... :err:

I don't think the Mac needs an optical drive, nor do I wish it was still on the iMac- I love the new design.  And I actually use the optical drive- when my wife burns a disc of pictures for her clients, or when I install a digital copy to iTunes from a blu-ray combo pack I've bought (although most studios are moving to downloads w/ no discs- finally!)   I was just talking about optical media.

And I agree about Windows.  If I had to pick between using OSX and Android or having to use Windows and iOS- I'd pick no windows and learn to tolerate Android.

• Reply 177 of 281
    Originally Posted by vitruvius View Post

What the hell is Apple holding out on?

Thunderbolt 2. Pretty simple.

…seems fishy.

Seems Thunderbolt 2.

Like there is a plan, but no one (in the outside world) knows what it is.  

Good! What business is it of yours?

• Reply 178 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

So besides a low comprehension of technical info you also have a low comprehension of business where you outright claim the most successful PC OEM has "no business" sense.

Where are you coming up with this stuff, I never said such things. Just that the current 27" Apple Display (in my opinion) is a very expensive product when compared to the competitions offerings. If you think it's worth it, fine, great, but personally attacking me isn't going to change my mind, chase me off, nor will you gain any support from other members in this thread. As a new member I would recommend you getting to know people a little better before calling them idiots. Why not share as to why you think it's worth the price tag instead of trying to belittle me when you have zero information as to my background or technical knowledge. Philboogie mentioned that the inclusion of a TB hub might be the killer feature people are looking for and as TB hubs aren't cheap might explain the inflated price. I didn't think about it because it's something I personally don't need because I like to hide my external drives but it makes sense. That's how your supposed to discuss a topic, not jump down someones throat because you do not share their opinions.

• Reply 179 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Thunderbolt 2. Pretty simple.

Yep, I think that is the case. That is going to be so great for a external RAID setup, one of the top features I can't wait for.

• Reply 180 of 281
    Where are you coming up with this stuff, I never said such things. Just that the current 27" Apple Display (in my opinion) is a very expensive product when compared to the competitions offerings. If you think it's worth it, fine, great, but personally attacking me isn't going to change my mind, chase me off, nor will you gain any support from other members in this thread. As a new member I would recommend you getting to know people a little better before calling them idiots. Why not share as to why you think it's worth the price tag instead of trying to belittle me when you have zero information as to my background or technical knowledge. Philboogie mentioned that the inclusion of a TB hub might be the killer feature people are looking for and as TB hubs aren't cheap might explain the inflated price. I didn't think about it because it's something I personally don't need because I like to hide my external drives but it makes sense. That's how your supposed to discuss a topic, not jump down someones throat because you do not share their opinions.

You attack people constantly with your passive-agressive comments and complaining. All you do is troll this forum.

I don't think I called you an idiot but now that you mention it you have deduced that I'm not familiar with the people that post here only because I only started posting here recently. Your logic is that my ability to read and my ability to write on this forum are somehow tied together. Are you really not aware that you can read this site without first being an active member?

Again, it's more than just the TB hub. It's more than just the video passthrough. It's more than just the GigE, USB hub, and other ports that are offered via TB. It's more than just the quality casing and components. It's more than just the good factory calibration. It's more than the quality panel.

You've also still failed to see how the same panel right down to the model number and date it was manufactured can be different, and therefore not be good enough for Apple or other vendors wanting a professional panel but be fine for vendors that don't mine selling components to a less quality conscious crowd.