Apple earned more than Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, Lenovo & Motorola's mobile shipments combined

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

200!!

well yeah I was talking about the unsubsidised prices.

201 posts

My work is done.

• Reply 202 of 213
    Quote:

200!!

well yeah I was talking about the unsubsidised prices.

Unsubsidized prices? How about $649 for a 16GB 5s?

• Reply 203 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

201 posts

My work is done.

Glad you feel better about yourself! ;)

• Reply 204 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Its not about them lying on their financials.  I think their financials are pretty clean.  But I'm talking about the press releases about selling 40M S4's.  There really isn't any consequences if he lied on those.  Bottom line is if it isn't on the financials I don't trust the numbers coming from a FELON.

I don't really care if Samsung is making more money than Apple. I only care about the sectors Samsung is competing with Apple (high end phones).  From what I've seen so far it looks like S4 sales have been pretty flat and iPhone 5S/C phones are showing growth.  Notice I did not mention the Note3 because I feel Apple has no competing product and its more in line with the ipadMini.

Seems like a reasonable argument! I appreciate you responding to a post and saying something that makes sense. :)

I still think that Samsung is going to keep getting bigger and bigger and (unfortunately) continue to focus on profit instead of a "good" product. With the SDC that they are currently holding, it also looks like they are actually trying to break away from Android and do their own thing (Amazon-style maybe?)... if they do, I am guessing there will be a severe backlash from the Android community.

• Reply 205 of 213
    qwertyjuan wrote: »
    I was actually referring to Samsung as a whole. Just like I am referring to Apple as a whole.

I thought so. You are indeed comparing Apples to Grapes.
    Being of a certain age, I have seen companies come and go, rise an fall, light and burn ( you get the gist)
    When I joined HP, the company was into Medical, Components, instrumentation, and Computers. They were n.1 at real time systems (HP1000), and in the top 5 of instruments and Medicals (I visited many hospitals in Europe where most of the gear was HP).
    Turn the clock forward some 25/30 years later, and there's nothing left of their Medical, Instrument, and Components 'divisions'. And in computers, well, let's say that they lost most of the brand original respect.
    At the time, most observers were betting on HP to keep growing and expanding - a little like Samsung today.

The thing is, in reality, you cannot make profit everywhere in a multi-business multi-division group of companies. You can perform accounting prowess and move money around somehow (just ask Microsoft how they kind of hid xbox losses for years, or covered the figures for Kin or Zune) but it cannot last for ever.

Samsung's got a dual culture of rubbish products sold to third world countries (where they make most of their profit - for good reason) and high end gadgets (in appearence, at least) to developed countries.

They certainly can deliver products quickly due to their multitude of divisions (we saw how they work during the Apple-Samsung case - and it's not always ethical or even lawful, but that's another story) as we saw in the case of the Samsung watch. Nevertheless, this product launch shows us exactly the result of this dual culture: great idea, poor design, poor execution, abject result.

I think Samsung's group board will have to make tough choices about where they want to be in 5 to 25 years' time (like IBM, HP, GE, and others did - and it seems that Microsoft never bothered) and some things will have to give. My bet is that they will stay with the cheap and cheerful to third world countries
  • Reply 206 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jdunys View Post

I thought so. You are indeed comparing Apples to Grapes.

Being of a certain age, I have seen companies come and go, rise an fall, light and burn ( you get the gist)

When I joined HP, the company was into Medical, Components, instrumentation, and Computers. They were n.1 at real time systems (HP1000), and in the top 5 of instruments and Medicals (I visited many hospitals in Europe where most of the gear was HP).

Turn the clock forward some 25/30 years later, and there's nothing left of their Medical, Instrument, and Components 'divisions'. And in computers, well, let's say that they lost most of the brand original respect.

At the time, most observers were betting on HP to keep growing and expanding - a little like Samsung today.

The thing is, in reality, you cannot make profit everywhere in a multi-business multi-division group of companies. You can perform accounting prowess and move money around somehow (just ask Microsoft how they kind of hid xbox losses for years, or covered the figures for Kin or Zune) but it cannot last for ever.

Samsung's got a dual culture of rubbish products sold to third world countries (where they make most of their profit - for good reason) and high end gadgets (in appearence, at least) to developed countries.

They certainly can deliver products quickly due to their multitude of divisions (we saw how they work during the Apple-Samsung case - and it's not always ethical or even lawful, but that's another story) as we saw in the case of the Samsung watch. Nevertheless, this product launch shows us exactly the result of this dual culture: great idea, poor design, poor execution, abject result.

I think Samsung's group board will have to make tough choices about where they want to be in 5 to 25 years' time (like IBM, HP, GE, and others did - and it seems that Microsoft never bothered) and some things will have to give. My bet is that they will stay with the cheap and cheerful to third world countries

I agree.... it appears that Samsung is content with making tremendous amounts of money selling copious amounts of cheap products and advertising the daylights our of them.

Hey... whatever works!?! ;)

• Reply 207 of 213
    Quote:

all true.  But what happens when Chinese companies start under cutting them? We are already seeing this in China where various Chinese smartphones are making inroads. 

Like Huawei and ZTE you mean? Not to mention Lenovo?

I am just not sure they can match the sheer brute strength of Samsung's supply chain and advertising budget. I hope someone does, just like I hope someone continues to make inroads on Apple. Innovation will cease to exist if ANY of these companies can get a monopoly. Believe it or not... Apple does NOT always know what's best for you.

• Reply 208 of 213

Let's see.

The good news:apple is getting awesome returns and all the arguing has died down.

The bad news:Samsung isn't broke yet.

Someone ought to get that company out of the phone/tablet market.

• Reply 209 of 213
    Quote:

Let's see.

The good news:apple is getting awesome returns and all the arguing has died down.

The bad news:Samsung isn't broke yet.

Someone ought to get that company out of the phone/tablet market.

Broke yet? Hardly... if they keep growing the way they have in the last 2 years, Samsung will be one of if not THE most profitable company in the world.

I'm definitely not saying that is a good thing, but it looks VERY possible.

• Reply 210 of 213
    Quote:

Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

Broke yet? Hardly... if they keep growing the way they have in the last 2 years, Samsung will be one of if not THE most profitable company in the world.

I'm definitely not saying that is a good thing, but it looks VERY possible.

yes.

that is a major problem.

the laws need to be changed.

people should sue the hell out of samsung.

It would make the world a better place to live in without corrupt cheats.

hey let's sign a petition!!

• Reply 211 of 213
    Quote:

Xiaomi is a hot brand in China right now.  Their phones are 3x cheaper than the Galaxy S4. They are so cheap because they don't make profit on the hardware but on the services they sell to you after you buy the phone.  How can Samsung compete with that?

How? By manufacturing the components that go into the manufacture of the phone? :)

• Reply 212 of 213
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    sog35 wrote: »
    You are missing the source of these "FACTS".  Those numbers don't mean ANYTHING.  Those are NOT facts. 

If Jeffery Skilling of Enron told you that his company sold $10B in gas would you believe him? 

Yes without a doubt it's gas, actually no 10 billion sounds to low. Heheheh, $&"%#^ Enron.