Apple earned more than Samsung, LG, Nokia, Huawei, Lenovo & Motorola's mobile shipments combined

1246711

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 213
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    That's probably because apple uses their own products to run their business from a user's perspective. These others are using pcs and android products to run their business.
  • Reply 62 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     

    ......Also, provide a citation showing GS4 or other high end phones are selling at a faster rate.......


     

    Your Google skills failing you??

     

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=samsung+galaxy+s4+sales+figures

     

    Since you seem to be incapable of using Google, you will see HERE - http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-sells-30-million-samsung-plots-new-logo-50009697/ that Samsung had sold 30M S3's in 5.3 months(using 30 days per month)

     

    As compared to the S4 that has sold 40M - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2302755/samsung-disappointed-with-galaxy-s4-sales-despite-hitting-40-million-milestone in 6 months.

     

    Again, using some BASIC math, (I used the ratio of 30M sales for 5.3 months, to 40M in X months) we can tell that the S3 would have taken SEVEN months to get to 40 million sales, whereas the link I posted CLEARLY shows 40M S4 sales in 5.9 months.

     

    As far as the Note 3?? http://www.mobileburn.com/22163/news/samsung-galaxy-note-3-reaches-5-million-channel-sales-in-one-month - This article CLEARLY states that it reached the 5M milestone in "less than half of the amount of time".

     

    For the record, I am NOT a Samsung fan.... I don't own ONE SINGLE Samsung device, on the contrary I DO own THREE Apple devices. I just can't STAND the bias and FUD being spread around the internet.

  • Reply 63 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,104member
    No that’s not true. Samsung doesn’t announce sales numbers of anything really. It has occasionally announced shipments (or planned shipment goals), which provide no basis for comparing the pace of sales. 

    But we don’t have to argue about sales rates. The GS4 has been out for long enough to have made a difference or not. It has not. And Samsung itself is stating to its investors that high end sales are "about the same," and that volume growth is coming solely from mass market cheap phones. 

    Strategy Analytics twisted that to imply that Note 3 was part of the volume growth, but carefully avoided lying by not actually saying that.

    No idea what you're pretending to say Daniel. Is it the old and debunked (by Dediu among others) ship vs. sold argument? Note that in most cases shipped is sold according to generally accepted accounting principles. Of course you already know that.

    Anyway Samsung periodically announces device sales numbers when they reach certain goals, not unlike Apple in that regard. A few you may have missed:
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/03/samsung-korea-20-million-gs4-sales/
    http://mashable.com/2013/10/24/samsung-sold-40-million-galaxy-s4/
    http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-hits-40-million-sales-mark-ceo-jk-shin-insists-device-not-trouble-amid-slowing
    http://news.inews24.com/php/news_view.php?g_serial=756406&g_menu=020800
    http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-sold-30-million-galaxy-s-iii-units-in-five-months-7000006927/
  • Reply 64 of 213
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

     

     

    Your Google skills failing you??

     

    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=samsung+galaxy+s4+sales+figures

     

    Since you seem to be incapable of using Google, you will see HERE - http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-s3-sells-30-million-samsung-plots-new-logo-50009697/ that Samsung had sold 30M S3's in 5.3 months(using 30 days per month)

     

    As compared to the S4 that has sold 40M - http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2302755/samsung-disappointed-with-galaxy-s4-sales-despite-hitting-40-million-milestone in 6 months.

     

    Again, using some BASIC math, (I used the ratio of 30M sales for 5.3 months, to 40M in X months) we can tell that the S3 would have taken SEVEN months to get to 40 million sales, whereas the link I posted CLEARLY shows 40M S4 sales in 5.9 months.

     

    As far as the Note 3?? http://www.mobileburn.com/22163/news/samsung-galaxy-note-3-reaches-5-million-channel-sales-in-one-month - This article CLEARLY states that it reached the 5M milestone in "less than half of the amount of time".

     

    For the record, I am NOT a Samsung fan.... I don't own ONE SINGLE Samsung device, on the contrary I DO own THREE Apple devices. I just can't STAND the bias and FUD being spread around the internet.


     

    It is really basic math, and no its not relevant how many Apple products you own.

     

    Samsung has proven that it lies about shipment numbers. Your "sources" are bullshit notions about shipments reaching certain targets. Microsoft shipped millions of Xboxes to reach Bill Gates’ "targets," but they were not sales. 

     

    Samsung’s total shipments of tablets were down last quarter despite the company bragging about shipping lots of its new Note 8 tablet. It also said GS4 sales were "solid" when they were clearly not, and danced around the idea that the Galaxy Tab was selling rapidly in 2010 when we now have definite proof that it was not. 

     

    Stop citing PR garbage and lies and look at what Samsung is saying to investors in its audited accounting of its financial performance. 

     

    It’s not even controversial. Samsung is not growing its high end sales, and has been warning all year about this. 

  • Reply 65 of 213
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     

     

    You are multiplying bullshit numbers. Don’t need to; the company with accountants working on the situation came out and told you that Samsung’s high end phones are selling flat, not 33% up. That is clearly not the same thing.

     

    Apple, meanwhile, is making more money than Samsung AND saw high end sales growth of 26%, despite all the profitless Android devices being thrown into the market at or near cost. That is quite an achievement.

     

    Actually...

     

    That is quite an achievement


     

    An achievement that their profits actually DROPPED from their 4th quarter from the previous year?? Like an 8.2B to 7.5B drop. which for the mathematically challenged is only 92% as much as what was reported LAST year for the same period. - http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5039154/apple-q4-2013-earnings - Yes... impressive!! Definately deserves a 48pt bolded font!

     

    How about the fact that Samsung's profits are actually over 29% GREATER YOY for the same quarter??

     

    The moral of the story? Research (remember Google is free and easily used by one and all) before you blather on the internet.

  • Reply 66 of 213
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    No idea what you're pretending to say Daniel. Is it the old and debunked (by Dediu among others) ship vs. sold argument? Note that in most cases shipped is sold according to generally accepted accounting principles. Of course you already know that.



    Anyway Samsung periodically announces device sales numbers when they reach certain goals, not unlike Apple in that regard. A few you may have missed:

    http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/03/samsung-korea-20-million-gs4-sales/

    http://mashable.com/2013/10/24/samsung-sold-40-million-galaxy-s4/

    http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-hits-40-million-sales-mark-ceo-jk-shin-insists-device-not-trouble-amid-slowing

    http://news.inews24.com/php/news_view.php?g_serial=756406&g_menu=020800

    http://www.zdnet.com/samsung-sold-30-million-galaxy-s-iii-units-in-five-months-7000006927/

     

    It’s very unlike Apple. Apple doesn’t ship large inventories to third parties. If you knew anything about Apple’s operations you’d know that. Look at how much inventory Apple is carrying compared to Samsung. 

     

    Citing a bunch of garbage reporting by gadget blogs who repeat any numbers that anyone hands them will not convince me that Samsung is lying in its own reports. 

     

    The fact that you prefer to believe garbage that does not fit the facts says everything. If Samsung were selling high end products, it would be making more money, just like HTC and Motorola briefly did when they moved from junk sales to higher end smartphones (before collapsing). 

  • Reply 67 of 213
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by QwertyJuan View Post

     

     

    An achievement that their profits actually DROPPED from their 4th quarter from the previous year?? Like an 8.2B to 7.5B drop. which for the mathematically challenged is only 92% as much as what was reported LAST year for the same period. - http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5039154/apple-q4-2013-earnings - Yes... impressive!! Definately deserves a 48pt bolded font!

     

    How about the fact that Samsung's profits are actually over 29% GREATER YOY for the same quarter??

     

    The moral of the story? Research (remember Google is free and easily used by one and all) before you blather on the internet.


     

    The more you write, the more obvious it is that you are not a smart person. 

     

    You are just barely wise enough to compare the size of two numbers you don’t fully grasp, and can draw equally juvenile conclusions.

     

    If you think having YOY revenue growth is all that matters, why don’t you short Apple and invest in Samsung and see where that takes you?

  • Reply 68 of 213

    Strategy Analytics actually minimizes Apple's phone sales growth the same way it minimizes iPad sales: by attempting to drown them in a bathtub of liquid shipments.

     

    Just, wow. Well well written and well said.

  • Reply 69 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,104member
    It’s very unlike Apple. Apple doesn’t ship large inventories to third parties. If you knew anything about Apple’s operations you’d know that. Look at how much inventory Apple is carrying compared to Samsung. 

    Since you would seemingly know all about Apple operations you know full well that Apple absolutely ships "large inventories to third parties". In fact those third parties are the source of the overwhelming majority of Apple device sales, upwards of 80% of all iPhones.
  • Reply 70 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

     

    Finally someone who agrees with my viewpoint.

    It isn't the higher GB models that r overpriced.

    It is the lower GB ones that are underpriced.


     

    As a consumer they are all over priced in my opinion.

     

    In Apple's  and other companies' opinion... well, they'd be stupid to price something lower when they know they'll do better financially if they price it higher.

  • Reply 71 of 213
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Since you would seemingly know all about Apple operations you know full well that Apple absolutely ships "large inventories to third parties". In fact those third parties are the source of the overwhelming majority of Apple device sales, upwards of 80% of all iPhones.

     

    I would explain why you are misguided and failing to grasp things, but seems like a waste of my time.



    But ask yourself: why does the company that sells the most never report vast "shipments"? There’s a reason just beyond your current thought bubble. Flail towards that idea and see if you can figure it out on your own.

  • Reply 72 of 213
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     

     

    The more you write, the more obvious it is that you are not a smart person. 

     

    You are just barely wise enough to compare the size of two numbers you don’t fully grasp, and can draw equally juvenile conclusions.

     

    If you think having YOY revenue growth is all that matters, why don’t you short Apple and invest in Samsung and see where that takes you?


     

    Firstly, I will admit I was incorrect in the 7.5B and 9.5B reports that I mentioned in my first post... didn't realize one was OPERATING profit and one was NET profit. I was wrong, and for that I apologize.

     

    However.....

     

    2012 - http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/25/samsung-q3-earnings/ - 7.4B OPERATING PROFIT AND 5.97 NET PROFIT

     

    2013 - http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/24/5026224/samsung-announces-9-56-billion-in-profit-for-q3-2013 - 9.56B OPERATING PROFIT AND 7.8B NET PROFIT

     

    I even clicked on the articles... read the information and summed it up for you. Their profits are 130% what they were last year for the same quarter. You can argue all day, but you can't argue with math.

     

    Lastly, Apple's NET profits are 92% what they were last year as referenced here - http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/28/5039154/apple-q4-2013-earnings

     

    Anything else you'd like to discuss?? ;) 

  • Reply 73 of 213
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,104member
    I would explain why you are misguided and failing to grasp things, but seems like a waste of my time.


    But ask yourself: why does the company that sells the most never report vast "shipments"? There’s a reason just beyond your current thought bubble. Flail towards that idea and see if you can figure it out on your own.

    IMO the more likely reason you can't explain why I'm misguided is because I'm not. That 80% of iPhone sales attributable to third parties claim came from Tim Cook by the way, again as I'm sure you already were aware. At the end of the day Apple reports shipments as sales and Samsung reports shipments as sales. To it's credit Apple goes one step further and tries to estimate channel inventory at the end of each quarter so that folks like yourself can make a stab at guessing actual sell-thru. Samsung does not.

    To be absolutely clear I'm no fan of Samsung. I believe they have issues with business ethics, are prone to "hey we did it first" with poorly performing or even non-existent "innovative product announcements" simply to upstage legitimate products from competitors and are a generally untrustworthy partner to both Apple and Google. With that said it still doesn't make some of your questioned statements true Daniel.
  • Reply 73 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member

    The bald Yahoo douche is at it again. And no I don't have a problem with the fact that he is bald, I just don't know his name. My problem with him is that he is an idiot with an agenda to bash Apple on a weekly basis. 

     

    http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/apple-stick-icahn-change-world-150926677.html

  • Reply 75 of 213
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

     

     

    I would explain why you are misguided and failing to grasp things, but seems like a waste of my time.



    But ask yourself: why does the company that sells the most never report vast "shipments"? There’s a reason just beyond your current thought bubble. Flail towards that idea and see if you can figure it out on your own.


     

    Yes, because month after month and year after year re-sellers buy copious amounts of Samsung devices, never sell them and lose money!! I can see the strategy!

  • Reply 76 of 213
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post



    And exactly what happened upon Apple's quarterly earnings? Apple's share price tanked because its earnings weren't good enough.

     

    "Tanked" is a rather strong word for a price drop of a few percent.  IMO, that word needs to be used only for a drop of 90% or more.  Besides, we know the price of AAPL always falls a bit after an earnnigs report.  You just missed your opportunity to sell short and make a minor profit. 

  • Reply 77 of 213
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

     

     

    "Tanked" is a rather strong word for a price drop of a few percent.  IMO, that word needs to be used only for a drop of 90% or more.  Besides, we know the price of AAPL always falls a bit after an earnnigs report.  You just missed your opportunity to sell short and make a minor profit. 


     

    Exactly... now Blackberry?? Definitely "tanked".... ;)

  • Reply 78 of 213

    Actually Samsung's Net profit was higher than Apple (7.8 billion vs 7.5 billion). What analysts see in the numbers is that Apple's net profit has been dropping (8.2 billion same period last year), Samsung has been rising (5.9 billion same period last year). Apple loyalists last year were saying well Samsung can sell more but Apple is still earning more, well this latest quarter Samsung earned slightly more ($300 million). See the trend, one is going up, the other is going down.

  • Reply 79 of 213

    No misinformation, we have known for a long time...before the iphone...that apple charges too much for their hardware....no surprises here.

  • Reply 80 of 213
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jivester View Post

     

    No misinformation, we have known for a long time...before the iphone...that apple charges too much for their hardware....no surprises here.


    Who is the great "we" of which you speak? ""We" don't know anything of the sorts. I love all these armchair CEO's sitting behind keyboards second guessing one of the best run companies on the planet. 

Sign In or Register to comment.