Apple Maps took around 80 percent of Google Maps' iOS traffic in one year

Comments

• Reply 121 of 223
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The majority of iOS users are continuing to use Apple's Maps, while less than half of all smartphone users are using Google Maps

I thought almost everyone agreed that there are far more Android smartphones in use than there are iPhones. So if less than half of all smartphone users are using Google Maps what are all those Android users using?

• Reply 122 of 223
    Maps still gets me lost and I hate Google Maps' GUI, it sucks. What makes maps worse is that I've sent incorrect locations to Apple several months ago and they have not been fixed. So I still use maps but occasionally I bring up the same address in Google Maps just to verify. So Maps is still unreliable still.

Not Ana android fan or none of that. I love Apple but we pay good money and we demand and get quality.
  • Reply 123 of 223
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mstone wrote: »
    I thought almost everyone agreed that there are far more Android smartphones in use than there are iPhones. So if less than half of all smartphone users are using Google Maps what are all those Android users using?

The key word is "using". Android on feature phone hardware isn't being used as a smartphone.
  • Reply 124 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The key word is "using". Android on feature phone hardware isn't being used as a smartphone.

Then why did the article specifically use the word smartphones? Perhaps you should reread the text that was referenced.

• Reply 125 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple is a hardware company first and software company second.

I think SJ would disagree with you, he recognize very early the indissociable nature of the hardware and the software to make great things. The original apple got is success due to its ROM full softwares and tools or the greatly simplify disk drive controller with uses of clever software. Look at the original Macintosh, who could boot a fully illustrated OS and Apps with 128KB of ram without any special hardware or coprocessor, there is a lots of software cleverness under the hood of any Apple stuffs.  

Beside I wonder whats people are really complaining about Apple Maps vs any others, I've never experienced my self any lets down yet with the latest version of Apple Maps and the iPhone 5s. but here some of the points I can sums up, I can miss some.

• Map data: Since they are 3 or 4 players of maps Data around the globe and Apple already using 2 of the most renown company: Tomtom and NavTeq, I found strange that people can complain about that, Nokia have bought NavTeq and Google is playing alone. 

• Tracking precision: I've been frustrated many time with past phone, never been able to track me or even show the maps at critical time, but theses things goes better at every generation of hardware, this is not a software issue. I don't "jump" in the middle of nowhere every time I go in a tunnel now. 

• UI and general usages: Google themselves applauded Apple when they first saw the iPhone implementation of Google Map.  I found google map very frustrating to use on many level and Apple Map has never let me down yet. 

• Reply 126 of 223

Personally I almost never use Maps of any sort on my iPhone or iPad except to get transit times and for that I do use Google because it is really accurate when I'm in SoCal. I use Google maps quite a bit in Safari on my Macs to do research, especially to learn about a foreign location mentioned in world news reports.

There are many anecdotal accounts regarding all mapping services as either failing or succeeding in various parts of the globe. In my two primary locations in SoCal and Central America, Google maps works fine. I haven't really used Apple Maps very much, but at first it was very incomplete and  inaccurate in Central America, but have not checked recently. Since I use Google for search it is just so convenient to use their Maps as well.

I just updated my BMW nav maps to the tune of $199 US, but I had to because so many freeway on ramps have been moved in LA you could not rely on turn by turn.

• Reply 127 of 223
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Then why did the article specifically use the word smartphones? Perhaps you should reread the text that was referenced.

What is an Android smart phone to them? Anything that runs Android? Not every Android is a smartphone and not every Android is used as a smartphone.
  • Reply 128 of 223
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Probably more to do with Apple Maps being the default. Besides "geek customizers" I doubt a high number of iPhone/iPad users change over to something replacing what their device came pre-installed with.

Do you realize that reasoning cuts both ways? It would mean the only reason Google Maps was in such high use before is that it was the default choice on iOS. It seems the cries of "bring back Google maps!" were coming from the techno-savvy minority who believe everything Google does is better because of some crap about not being evil. What they lack in numbers they make up for in vociferous, repetitive posts on forums.
  • Reply 129 of 223
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Quote:

What is an Android smart phone to them? Anything that runs Android? Not every Android is a smartphone and not every Android is used as a smartphone.

I'm not sure where Location: 100101010101 is but perhaps your native language is not English, and neither is mine, but I still don't comprehend how they arrived at the value of less than half of all smartphone users are using Google Maps. I could understand that more than half of all smartphone users do not use any maps app, but if it is an Android smartphone, it has Google Maps installed. The sentence seems to imply the smartphone users are using some other mapping platform but perhaps not. Either way the text is either too vague or completely  inaccurate.

• Reply 130 of 223
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jungmark wrote: »

There's probably a lot of smartphones used as feature phones, and Apple has their share of users in that category too. But we've had the discussion before here about Android currently being used for feature phones. No one successfully found one yet but you can be the first!
  • Reply 131 of 223
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    Huh? I get traffic information from the gps mapper and integrate that information into my route choices.

The route construction feature simply lays out the route choices for on the go notifications once I've selected the one I'll be using (there's three initially, all with about the same travel times but some more scenic than the others, which is less important at night on my way home), which, being audible, are far safer than looking at the display while on the go, yet for longer commutes where road status can change while on the way, the updated information can be quite useful. I, for instance, have a couple of bailout points were the route ahead to get clogged while I'm heading that way and with ongoing construction that can happen even at off hours and accidents, of course, are not predictable simply on past experience over a route.

I just press a button on my steering wheel and say "Siri, take me home" and it does.
  • Reply 132 of 223
    Do you realize that reasoning cuts both ways? It would mean the only reason Google Maps was in such high use before is that it was the default choice on iOS..

You're absolutely correct that it cuts both ways. That's the power of default apps. Sometimes the success of an app doesn't speak to the quality as much as it's placement.
  • Reply 133 of 223
    zaba wrote: »
    Yes and Bing is shit.

...but it works, I prefer "shit" to Google any day of the week.
  • Reply 134 of 223
    hill60 wrote: »
    ... I prefer "shit" to Google any day of the week.

Well there you go. I'm not sure that it really comes across the way you intended. Probably would do better to reword that. :err:
  • Reply 135 of 223

Everything switched off except for voice calls and SMS.

That's what the majority of Android users are doing, nice and cheap with no pesky data plans.
  • Reply 136 of 223
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Well there you go. I'm not sure that it really comes across the way you intended. Probably would do better to reword that. :err:

I would rather use "shit" than use Google, it's a better alternative.
  • Reply 137 of 223
    hill60 wrote: »
    I would rather use "shit" than use Google....

Well then I hope you can claim success.
  • Reply 138 of 223
    Quote:

I'm not sure where Location: 100101010101 is but perhaps your native language is not English, and neither is mine, but I still don't comprehend how they arrived at the value of less than half of all smartphone users are using Google Maps. I could understand that more than half of all smartphone users do not use any maps app, but if it is an Android smartphone, it has Google Maps installed. The sentence seems to imply the smartphone users are using some other mapping platform but perhaps not. Either way the text is either too vague or completely  inaccurate.

I brought up these issues last time AI quoted ComScore, and the same problems are still here. App usage seems to be established via surveys ("panel and census-based measurement" rather than comparing the number of installs to the number of devices or similar. App coverage is measured in "reach", with no clear definition of what that means - usage, installation or something else?

If they mean installs, then we quickly run into problems. 53.9% of devices had Google Play on which makes them Google-compliant Android devices. 44.2% had Apple's App Store on, so that suggests that 44.2% of devices are Apple ones. 25.6% of devices had Apple Maps on...so does that mean that almost half of the iOS devices they investigated were running iOS 5 or below?

If they mean usage, how are they judging this? Are they accounting for differences in platform, since it doesn't make a lot of sense to compare an app that runs on both platforms to an app that runs on one? I  find it hard to believe that one in three users regularly uses Yahoo's stock app - and if one in three users in their sample do, then it's not a remotely representative survey.

Also, I find it somewhat odd that Pandora has almost 50% "reach" - this seems to suggest that either its install count is higher than the number of iOS devices (wat), or it's somehow used by one in two people which I'm fairly sure isn't the case.

• Reply 139 of 223
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Do you realize that reasoning cuts both ways? It would mean the only reason Google Maps was in such high use before is that it was the default choice on iOS. It seems the cries of "bring back Google maps!" were coming from the techno-savvy minority who believe everything Google does is better because of some crap about not being evil. What they lack in numbers they make up for in vociferous, repetitive posts on forums.

I believe at the time iOS maps was released most on the forum said they should have left Google Maps until the bugs were worked out. Also it does favor Apple that iOS Maps is the default installed on iOS devices. The average user doesn't care what Maps they use as long as it works. I would argue most iPhone users don't even know it changed form Google to Apple. 

• Reply 140 of 223
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well then I hope you can claim success.

He can claim growth.