Samsung planning Galaxy phone with wrap-around display for 2014 launch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 106
    Samsung showed the first YOUM screen exactly 3 years ago. If it's taken this long to get into a product, there is either something wrong with the idea or they hadn't found the problem that needed solving.
  • Reply 42 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bennettvista View Post

Samsung is like McDonalds. Apple is like In-n-Out Burger.

MMMmmmmmm, Animaaaal Styyyylllle.

• Reply 43 of 106
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I don't know if it's done correctly it could be a really cool idea, here is Nokia's take on it.

• Reply 44 of 106
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    relic wrote: »
    I don't know if it's done correctly it could be a really cool idea, here is Nokia's take on it.

<pointless video>

So long as anyone but Apple does it would be great. Got it. /s
  • Reply 45 of 106
    akqies wrote: »
    Consider this from Soneira: http://daringfireball.net/linked/2013/11/11/concave-displays

Now consider a watch face with a sapphire display and underneath a circular display that could be slightly concave to help make it easier to see in daylight with less power used.

The article and the OP I was replying to was talking about wraparound displays, not concave displays.
  • Reply 46 of 106
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I am still trying to understand the value of this, I believe if they are doing this, it just to show they can do it, not because it has some sort of utility value.

It appears Samsung is respond to every rumor that has come out about an Apple product, except TV since they already know what Apple knows is that is a dead market you do not make money selling TV these days.

It's what companies do when they don't know what consumers want. The trolls around here like to say Apple is doomed because Steve is gone because he was Apple's product visionary, but they never point out that Samsung never had a vision and applaud every twitch and spasm Samsung makes in the market trying to differentiate themselves.
  • Reply 47 of 106
    SAMI, keep throwing shit and see what type of shit sticks!

This dumb ass company must be blocked selling anything to anywhere but their own country.

But I wonder even if Korean people give shit to SAMI!
  • Reply 48 of 106

This seems like the first plausible use for a curved screen (even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then). The search bar and apps on the side are of course ridiculous, but a more subtle slope that takes up less useful screen area might serve a few useful purposes: looks cool (an enhancement of Apple's parallax effect), show small controls (video playback, music controls, scroll bars), make it eaisier to do the "back" gesture (which may evolve to include switching between apps for faster multitasking), and it might be a way for apple to differentiate the rumored, larger screened iPhone pro without fragmenting the current screen ratio. Could be interesting, but can't yet figure out if if would be a gimmick or something that adds more than it takes away.

• Reply 49 of 106

I am surprised that no one has come up with the double sided phone yet.

• Reply 50 of 106
    The article and the OP I was replying to was talking about wraparound displays, not concave displays.

I know, I was just contributing to what I think Apple might do with a curved display that wasn't completely stupid like we've seen in this article (and that pointless Nokia video above).
  • Reply 51 of 106
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Didn't Sony Do this in the 90s?
  • Reply 52 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akqies View Post

So long as anyone but Apple does it would be great. Got it. /s

I never said such a thing, I simply posted the only other company I knew of that had ideas for a curved display like Samsungs. If Apple had posted a video along the lines of Nokia's idea I would have posted that. This is a friendly forum, we talk about technology from all walks of life, not just Apple. This thread is also about curved displays, not Apple's lack of it, don't let your silly undying loyalty to Apple cloud your mind so much that you can't see that there are many other company's out in the world with great ideas too.

• Reply 53 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Didn't Sony Do this in the 90s?

I looked up every phone Sony-Ericsson couldn't find any but I'm with you, I remember seeing a phone like this once before. Just can't place it. Curved phones are kind of cool looking though, I like the look of LG's new one. A little big for my taste though.

• Reply 54 of 106
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    why the fuk...
    You've used that a lot today.
    Surely their must be a more adult way of wording it. Looks like my teenage son messaging friends on Facebook
  • Reply 55 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

full of gimmicks and not an easy OS to learn.

draw a circle to take a picture?  Really?

It's just an idea, not meant to be taken seriously. This phone doesn't exist yet, you do realize that but I have no doubt it will in some form or another come to light in the future. So it's interesting to watch what companies are thinking of. The Nokia development site where I got this video from has a forum attached to discuss the cons and pros of the design and GUI UI. Bringing users into the discussion is not a gimmicky idea, I think all manufactures should do this when developing new technology or even developing a new idea. So let's try and be a little open about it instead of calling it a gimmick, it's an idea.

• Reply 56 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

why the fuk would you want photo's, websites, video's, games all distorted by a curved screen?

Welcome to 1980's CRT tube tv's.

I don't know, I haven't seen it up close yet. Why are you so quick to dismiss it without seeing it up close either? I don't get people like you, everything is crap until Apple deems it not. I have absolutely no doubt that Apple will also have a curved display in the next 3 years. This is the way technology is moving, every single display manufacture is now researching this technology and will have an example on the market by next year, Samsung and LG being the first.

• Reply 57 of 106
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I'm trying to figure out what Asian designed computing product has changed the direction of the industry in terms of a product design.

To me this wrap around screen looks more like a gimmick than anything else.    These gimmicks have to fundamentally change and improve how we use these devices and work, but I don't see this wrap around doing that. Just a gut feeling.

• Reply 58 of 106
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

The iPhone 7 will have a wrap-around display in order to keep two groups happy:

1. Analysts who insist that Apple should have a big screen phone in their lineup.

2. Appleinsiders who insist that a 4" phone is perfect and anything bigger can't be used with one hand.

• Reply 59 of 106
    relic wrote: »
    I never said such a thing, I simply posted the only other company I knew of that had ideas for a curved display like Samsungs. If Apple had posted a video along the lines of Nokia's idea I would have posted that. This is a friendly forum, we talk about technology from all walks of life, not just Apple. This thread is also about curved displays, not Apple's lack of it, don't let your silly undying loyalty to Apple cloud your mind so much that you can't see that there are many other company's out in the world with great ideas too.

That's the kind of crap you say. If this is a friendly forum then try not pissing people off with passive-agressive comments where you attack others but then act all shocked when you get called out by others. I don't like it one bit!

Why post this Nokia video? It's not really an idea. It's cartoon. Do you give Warner Bros. credit for the wormhole when Elmer Fudd stuck his shotgun barrel in a rabbit hole and it appeared out of hole in a tree behind him? If Apple did it would be just as lame just like their concept video for the Knowledge Navigator.
  • Reply 60 of 106
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

The iPhone 7 will have a wrap-around display in order to keep two groups happy:

1. Analysts who insist that Apple should have a big screen phone in their lineup.

2. Appleinsiders who insist that a 4" phone is perfect and anything bigger can't be used with one hand.

I always thought Apple should have at least 2 or maybe three sized smartphones since people ranging from kids use phones all the way up to 7 foot tall people and their hand sizes are different.

I also think that Apple should offer cellular data/phone capabilities in ALL of the mobile devices like laptops/tablets providing the cell carriers can use the same phone number and not charge for additional phones on the same line.  That way we can always have cellular data and phone services so if we only want to carry one device, we can pick which one.  It's not so difficult to connect a BlueTooth ear piece or maybe a watch. Sometime to think about.  Tethering is great in a pinch, but it sucks battery life.