Samsung planning Galaxy phone with wrap-around display for 2014 launch

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106

Yawn.  Another Gimmick from Shame Sung.

• Reply 82 of 106
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by akqies View Post

There is a big difference between making a prototype and making a device in volume where the display and glass can both be produced reliably at a reasonable cost, and where the vendor has tested the design to be worth including in a shipping product.

I don't know when concept videos, mockups and prototypes became synonymous with actual shipping products but I'm guessing from people with such poor imaginations that they think the basic idea is somehow the real challenge.

What does my post have to do with a shipping product?  I clearly made reference to a prototype as it was used to show Samsung's planned roadmap for future devices.  You should read the entire conversation before going off on tangents.

• Reply 83 of 106
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    st88 wrote: »
    What does my post have to do with a shipping product?  I clearly made reference to a prototype as it was used to show Samsung's planned roadmap for future devices.  You should read the entire conversation before going off on tangents.

Roadmap for future devices refers to a shipping product. There is no "future device" if it only remains a prototype.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't know if it's done correctly it could be a really cool idea, here is Nokia's take on it.

Do they fit the camera in the middle of the screen or something??

or is it invisible??

• Reply 85 of 106
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bananaman View Post

or is it invisible??

I was thinking the same thing, who knows, some weird future camera tech I guess. Still a cool idea if such tech existed.

• Reply 86 of 106
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    bananaman wrote: »

or is it invisible??

Apple, and probably many others, have a patent that interpolates display pixels with camera sensor pixels next to each other so the display you're look at is the camera. If you make the pixels small enough this is possible with the obvious issues of having a camera resolution matching the display resolution unless you use different size but scalable pixels for the other space and reducing the actual display from having 4 display or camera pixels in a 2x2 grid to 1x1 with a 1 pixel offset along each axis.

The only other solution is getting the display output pixel to double as a camera input pixel which seems near impossible with a backlight applied.
  • Reply 87 of 106
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    relic wrote: »
    Why will lying on your back change anything, have you ever played a racing game that uses motion control, does the playability change when your on your back. I understand that just because Apple filed for a patent doesn't mean it will happen but in this cases it's the logical next step in mobile evolution. It will happen, I have no doubt about it, please research what company's that produce displays are doing. Drop a current iPhone and it will most likely crack, so what's you point. Both, left and right, why do you think it would matter? Not sure why your fighting this but if Apple does introduce one does this mean you are done with them?

Easy, how would the phone know what's on top if your looking at from below?

I've dropped my phone a couple times but it never landed on the screen but on the edges. You make one edge a screen, that gives a higher chance of breakage.

Left/right because how you hold it will block the curved edge.

Why would I be done with Apple if they build this? I just won't buy it. Just like I won't buy the 5C.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    One word - why?
  • Reply 89 of 106

Have you done your research before you post a comment? Ignorance can cause Apple to tumble, so they are understanding their competitors tech. 

• Reply 90 of 106
    What is Samsung doing is for the good of Apple, they toy the consumers, but if it goes well, Apple will use that to their benefit and get the patents as usual and make Apple products better. Apple do copy, but they make them better. And why we need to see our competitors tech, is to know where we are in our position. Ignorance is a bliss, this can cause Apple to go down. And Apple really need to increase in their CRM. Apple in China is not doing well, because the management were arrogant, it is hard to deal with the biggest market in the world next to India, Thank God Tim Cook apologized.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I can just see the marketing on this; "we made it thicker so you can see more information on the side". Hahaha
  • Reply 92 of 106

I think the only reason why Samsung even does these ridiculous things, is to show/"prove" they can be innovative as well. I think a wrap-around display could work, but definitely not in the way that Samsung implements these things. Wrap-around displays for me, are screens that actually wrap around things, like a wrist for example. A tiny little edge on the side of a phone, hardly enough to make it useful for anything other than 1 line of text (old Sony Ericsson phones anyone?), won't be enough to make it a hit.

• Reply 93 of 106
    galron wrote: »
    What is Samsung doing is for the good of Apple, they toy the consumers, but if it goes well, Apple will use that to their benefit and get the patents as usual and make Apple products better. Apple do copy, but they make them better. And why we need to see our competitors tech, is to know where we are in our position. Ignorance is a bliss, this can cause Apple to go down. And Apple really need to increase in their CRM. Educate most Apple fans to think and research before they shoot their ignorant and arrogant minds and mouth. Apple in China is not doing well, because the management were arrogant, it is hard to deal with the biggest market in the world next to India, Thank God Tim Cook apologized.

Most ridiculous thing I've read in the forums.
  • Reply 94 of 106
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ...today.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

Looks like Samsung again but one of their Malaysian operations this time.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    Not a type of cheap and fake ,plasticky kind of person so I'll stick to Apple.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GeorgeiP5 View Post

Not a type of cheap and fake ,plasticky kind of person so I'll stick to Apple.

I know this means absolutely nothing and won't sway you away from the iPhone and nor should it, but the Samsung Galaxy S4 handset is actually more costly to manufacture than the iPhone. The iPhone 5C's shell is also more expensive to make than the aluminum one found in the iPhone 5s. The aluminum in the iPhone 5 for instance costs an amazingly low number of 4.00 dollars. Again this means absolutely nothing, just thought it interesting, yes aluminum is pretty but it also one of the most inexpensive materials to use, which I also find ironic that the 5C's shells costs more to make, polycarbonate ain't cheap to produce.

• Reply 98 of 106
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Samsung is like McDonalds. Apple is like In-n-Out Burger.
    Actually, Samsung is like Pizza Hut which do outragous thing, and bad ...like crown crust cheesburger pizza...hotdog stuffed crust pizza or cheesy bite remix pizza...lol
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Looks super cool! And totally useless.
    Oh, well. Anyway, I'm too poor to afford an iMac, an iPhone, an iPad, a Time Capsule, a MBA and some overpriced Samsung gimmick that, contrary to the previous devices, I'll have to replace after a year ;)
  • Reply 100 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

But all in all, I can't for the life of me 'want' what I'm seeing in the picture above.

This, no, but I can envision quite a lot of cool uses.

Actually, I'm quite often more interested in the parts that Samsung makes devices out of than the devices themselves... but I'm a geek. A nerd. Damned.