Samsung planning Galaxy phone with wrap-around display for 2014 launch

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I know this means absolutely nothing and won't sway you away from the iPhone and nor should it, but the Samsung Galaxy S4 handset is actually more costly to manufacture than the iPhone. The iPhone 5C's shell is also more expensive to make than the aluminum one found in the iPhone 5s. The aluminum in the iPhone 5 for instance costs an amazingly low number of 4.00 dollars. Again this means absolutely nothing, just thought it interesting, yes aluminum is pretty but it also one of the most inexpensive materials to use, which I also find ironic that the 5C's shells costs more to make, polycarbonate ain't cheap to produce.

Aluminum as a material is cheap because it is so abundant (it was once considered "rare"). However, plastic is easier to work with because it doesn't bend or crease as easily. My guess is that by switching the mid-range model to plastic Apple was able to free up resources to build more of the 5s. So even if producing plastic itself is more costly, it winds up being more cost effective in production.

• Reply 102 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Aluminum as a material is cheap because it is so abundant (it was once considered "rare"). However, plastic is easier to work with because it doesn't bend or crease as easily. My guess is that by switching the mid-range model to plastic Apple was able to free up resources to build more of the 5s. So even if producing plastic itself is more costly, it winds up being more cost effective in production.

If they used titanium for an iPhone 5e (for "expensive") it would be much lighter, faster, stronger.

It would, obviously, be a very high end product ;)

• Reply 103 of 106
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Actually, Samsung is like Pizza Hut which do outragous thing, and bad ...like crown crust cheesburger pizza...hotdog stuffed crust pizza or cheesy bite remix pizza...lol

That's the best comparison ever. It's exactly what I thought without being able to place it...

• Reply 104 of 106
    I have no doubt Samesung heard Apple may dev curved displays and rushed to dev their own. :)
  • Reply 105 of 106
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    kpom wrote: »

We also need to consider the cost outside the raw materials but for the refining of the cases. The 5C casing has a sturdy metal frame and dense lacquer that other phones don't have which is why it feels so great even though this adds cost and complexity to its design, but the aluminum case of the 5S has at least two different type of finishes, fine details and the chamfered edges both of which are hard to do at Apple's scale. The latter was an issue with the iPhone 5 and I had my first one replaced because of chips in the chamfered edge that came from the factory.