Jury awards Apple $290 million in patent infringement case with Samsung

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Couldn't Samsung still appeal ? This can go on for years right?
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by water cooler View Post

Ya, wait til the Samscum jack up the components prices on iEverything.

Won't matter, Apple has been sourcing more and more components directly from manufacturers and I'm quite certain more and more of those OEMs supplying components won't include Samsung.

And people need to consider this also... Apple is free to enter into any and all Samsung markets with products that can continue to eat away at their already thin margins.

• Reply 23 of 104
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

I wonder how long Samsung is given,

to cut the check, to Apple?

It will be a long time before Samsung cuts a check, unless Samsung folds their arms and decides to move forward. I suspect that Samsung is not about to lie down just yet. They have other similar lawsuits against them and this could set a precedence they my not want to set.

I wonder if Apples supply contract has a clause in it to allow it to offset any thing they owe Samsung for part against any outstanding claims they have against Samsung. If they do then apple could just not pay their bill for processors they buy. That could be a years worth of processor Apple could get from Samsung.

• Reply 24 of 104
    So, Apple lost big time here. The money isn't what they want. Or need. They want others to stop copying Apple and innovate on their own. They like the competition, but not if they simply copy. My guess, there isn't any champagne flowing on IL.
  • Reply 25 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So, Apple lost big time here. The money isn't what they want. Or need. They want others to stop copying Apple and innovate on their own. They like the competition, but not if they simply copy. My guess, there isn't any champagne flowing on IL.

I don't see it that way at all. Apple won and they won almost everything they have been asking for.

Plus, in the "court of public opinion" Samsung have been shown to be duplicitous scum.

• Reply 26 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    $888MIl less 40% in taxes equals $532 Mil.

Then they can recoup the amount they spent on attorneys and court costs.

I'm sure Apple is STILL upset about that stupid settlement in the UK where Apple was forced to publicly admit that Samsung didn't copy. Now, they might have enough evidence to have that case overturned where Samsung has to publicly admit their are copycat LOSERS.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

$888MIl less 40% in taxes equals $532 Mil.

Then they can recoup the amount they spent on attorneys and court costs.

I'm sure Apple is STILL upset about that stupid settlement in the UK where Apple was forced to publicly admit that Samsung didn't copy. Now, they might have enough evidence to have that case overturned where Samsung has to publicly admit their are copycat LOSERS.

The money is almost irrelevant. Being proven right all along? Priceless.

• Reply 28 of 104
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Ha, yeah like Apple is going to pay 40% taxes on that win.

• Reply 30 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Frak you, Sammy. Pay up and stop stealing.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    Samsung finally got what they deserve. Shameful that Samsung has to copy rather than innovate
  • Reply 32 of 104
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA <*deep inhale*> BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

• Reply 34 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    philboogie wrote: »

What is it exactly that you feel is still being copied?
  • Reply 35 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What is it exactly that you feel is still being copied?

Actually, it's instructive to note that all previous infringements that Apple chooses to sue over can include those in the past, not just current infringements, and any companies found guilty would be financially liable also. 

• Reply 36 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

The money is almost irrelevant. Being proven right all along? Priceless.

I tell you what, if you ever get $888 Million awarded to you, just give it to me, and let's see how relevant it is.  $888 Million isn't too shabby.  It should have been more due to the amount of sales Samsung has had world wide of those models since their relative product announcements, but it's still not that bad.  I was just merely pointing out that whatever the judgement is for, there are taxes that they have to pay, so they get about 40% less than what is awarded.  People need to realize that.   Most people would LOVE to get that kind of settlement, regardless of the company.  Not too many settlements have been for more than that in history.

Plus, what happened in the UK should be reversed and Samsung should post for about a year, that they've been copying Apple, AND pay Apple some money on top of it.

I hope Apple starts spitting out some larger screen iPhones soon so they can erode Android's market share for the large screen market segment.

• Reply 37 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Actually, it's instructive to note that all previous infringements that Apple chooses to sue over can include those in the past, not just current infringements, and any companies found guilty would be financially liable also. 

No one else really copied the hardware except for Samsung.
  • Reply 38 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

No one else really copied the hardware except for Samsung.

Samsung is just the shot across Google's bow. The real goal is to gut Android and put the heads of Google on a pike (legally speaking, of course).

• Reply 39 of 104
    philboogie wrote: »

I don't see it that way at all. Apple won and they won almost everything they have been asking for.

Plus, in the "court of public opinion" Samsung have been shown to be duplicitous scum.

Funny enough, I also agree with your view. I just think Apple, like Steve said himself, doesn't need the money. They want competitors to stop copying Apples inventions/implementations. That's all.

And besides, if Samsung always does this, or Asian companies in general, would they be seen as scum through Asian eyes? I kinda get the sense that Asian people are proud of copying. I could be wrong, and certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes here.
  • Reply 40 of 104
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

I wonder how long Samsung is given,

to cut the check, to Apple?

There will be appeals and appeals of appeals for years to come. Apple may never see a dime. Jury trials and jury decisions are easily overruled by judges and mean little to nothing. I don’t know why we even have jury trials in this country anymore. If you have enough money and are willing to spend it you can drag any court ruling out for decades.