Jury awards Apple $290 million in patent infringement case with Samsung

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Samsung is just the shot across Google's bow. The real goal is to gut Android and put the heads of Google on a pike (legally speaking, of course).

I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever happening.
  • Reply 42 of 104
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    So, Apple lost big time here. The money isn't what they want. Or need. They want others to stop copying Apple and innovate on their own. They like the competition, but not if they simply copy. My guess, there isn't any champagne flowing on IL.

What is it exactly that you feel is still being copied?

In general, I meant.
  • Reply 43 of 104
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So, Apple lost big time here. The money isn't what they want. Or need. They want others to stop copying Apple and innovate on their own. They like the competition, but not if they simply copy. My guess, there isn't any champagne flowing on IL.

Apple won big time as Samsung is the only Android device maker making money. Other device makers have settled or will settle. For the second case scheduled to start in March of next year Apple supposedly has stronger patents in play. With this week's circuit court ruling giving Apple a much better chance of obtaining injunctions against Samsung products, it would be in Samsung's best interests to settle and stop copying.

• Reply 44 of 104
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Funny enough, I also agree with your view. I just think Apple, like Steve said himself, doesn't need the money. They want competitors to stop copying Apples inventions/implementations. That's all.

And besides, if Samsung always does this, or Asian companies in general, would they be seen as scum through Asian eyes? I kinda get the sense that Asian people are proud of copying. I could be wrong, and certainly don't want to step on anyone's toes here.

I'm Asian. I don't copy.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drblank View Post

I tell you what, if you ever get $888 Million awarded to you, just give it to me, and let's see how relevant it is.  $888 Million isn't too shabby.  It should have been more due to the amount of sales Samsung has had world wide of those models since their relative product announcements, but it's still not that bad.  I was just merely pointing out that whatever the judgement is for, there are taxes that they have to pay, so they get about 40% less than what is awarded.  People need to realize that.   Most people would LOVE to get that kind of settlement, regardless of the company.  Not too many settlements have been for more than that in history.

Plus, what happened in the UK should be reversed and Samsung should post for about a year, that they've been copying Apple, AND pay Apple some money on top of it.

I hope Apple starts spitting out some larger screen iPhones soon so they can erode Android's market share for the large screen market segment.

Here's the ultimate scenario... Apple may one day be able to almost "give away" their hardware due to geometrically multiplying profits derived from apps, music and videos (and whatever other digital or virtual products Apple offers in the future). I'm not talking about the hardware as it exists today, I'm talking about very high-end hardware in the next 5-10 years, which is likely to be completely solid-state and as inexpensive to produce as the current low-end crap from Samsung and friends. It will be luxury-level stuff made for next to nothing, which will decimate the low-end of the market. It will ALL be high end and dominated by Apple's software on amazing hardware.

• Reply 46 of 104

Get in there...

Almost a billion in damages.  Not nearly enough.  However, a seismic win for Apple.  And pants down for Samsung.

A landmark win.  It took a while.  But Apple is protecting it's IP.  And won deservedly.

This one's for you, Steve.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 47 of 104
    Sammy can't offer the jury better than sourdough but kimchi and the final verdic is ....go pay Apple Tax!
  • Reply 48 of 104
    akqiesakqies Posts: 768member
    Weren't there a lot of people on this site saying Samsung would be found innocent? They don't seem to be commenting on this thread.
  • Reply 49 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ronn View Post

Apple won big time as Samsung is the only Android device maker making money. Other device makers have settled or will settle. For the second case scheduled to start in March of next year Apple supposedly has stronger patents in play. With this week's circuit court ruling giving Apple a much better chance of obtaining injunctions against Samsung products, it would be in Samsung's best interests to settle and stop copying.

This. Apple is bringing bigger guns to the next trial. And based on the way the pre-trial motions are going, it's not looking good for Samsung.

Then you have to look at the sanctions coming up against Samsung. They're going to have an even harder time trying to get access to any Apple documents or agreements after they screwed up with the Nokia/Apple deal.

• Reply 50 of 104
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

Finally! Not enough but at least Samsung have been found guilty. I hope it gets tripled — but won't hold my breath.

Unfortunately the only lesson that Samsung will learn from this is that copying pays. Until copying doesn't pay there will be no justice.

• Reply 51 of 104
    fracfrac Posts: 480member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Samsung is just the shot across Google's bow. The real goal is to gut Android and put the heads of Google on a pike (legally speaking, of course).

I wouldn't hold my breath on that ever happening.

Me neither :\ especially since Google literately paves the Beltway(Tax) with gold. Apple by comparison barely pays enough for street lighting.
  • Reply 52 of 104
    Where is Gatorguy?
  • Reply 53 of 104
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frac View Post

Me neither image especially since Google literately paves the Beltway(Tax) with gold. Apple by comparison barely pays enough for street lighting.

Are you sure you don't want to run over the figures again, seeing as how Apple is probably the USA's largest taxpayer.

I think they paid $9 Billion last year and that's enough for a lot of light bulbs.

• Reply 54 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here's the ultimate scenario... Apple may one day be able to almost "give away" their hardware due to geometrically multiplying profits derived from apps, music and videos (and whatever other digital or virtual products Apple offers in the future). I'm not talking about the hardware as it exists today, I'm talking about very high-end hardware in the next 5-10 years, which is likely to be completely solid-state and as inexpensive to produce as the current low-end crap from Samsung and friends. It will be luxury-level stuff made for next to nothing, which will decimate the low-end of the market. It will ALL be high end and dominated by Apple's software on amazing hardware.

Ultimate scenario?  Well, after you are done with your pipe dream, come back down to earth.  The chances of them "giving away" product because it's made for next to nothing is pretty much not going to happen in the next 5 to 10 years.  The technology required to do that isn't available to do that.   I like your wishful thinking, but I highly doubt that your ultimate scenario will happen.

• Reply 55 of 104
    Quote:

Ultimate scenario?  Well, after you are done with your pipe dream, come back down to earth.  The chances of them "giving away" product because it's made for next to nothing is pretty much not going to happen in the next 5 to 10 years.  The technology required to do that isn't available to do that.   I like your wishful thinking, but I highly doubt that your ultimate scenario will happen.

This is a down-to-earth projection. If you become even vaguely familiar with the direction electronics and fabrication are headed, you will realize this.

• Reply 56 of 104
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

• Reply 57 of 104
    archarch Posts: 66member
    Quote:

$888MIl less 40% in taxes equals $532 Mil.

Then they can recoup the amount they spent on attorneys and court costs.

I'm sure Apple is STILL upset about that stupid settlement in the UK where Apple was forced to publicly admit that Samsung didn't copy. Now, they might have enough evidence to have that case overturned where Samsung has to publicly admit their are copycat LOSERS.

(888- attorney and court costs) is taxable, not 888.

• Reply 58 of 104
    Quote:

Originally Posted by arch View Post

I wonder. There was something about $2.00. Perhaps the actual amount was $889,998.00?

• Reply 59 of 104
    They should donate the settlement to charity. Show it is about principal, not just money.
  • Reply 60 of 104
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arch View Post

Apple has to claim the $888Mil as income, which is taxable by both State and Federal.

The court costs and attorney fees, if they can't recoup that from Samsung, is an expense.

There are only rare instances where a court settlement is not taxable and not considered income, but this isn't one of them.  At least this is what my tax accountant told me a few years ago when we discussed how lawsuit settlements are handled.

The rare instances might be personal injury, at least that's how it was several years ago, but this is not a personal injury case.