Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC One caught cheating in benchmarks again

Comments

• Reply 61 of 169
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    timbit wrote: »
    How can they tell if it's boosting specs for benchmarks only? Could it be that it is boosting for all graphic and CPU intensive applications?

There are two ways and they are both quite simple.

One way is to check the code to look that tells the CPU and/or GPU to disable thermal limits when certain tests are detected. The other way, in case that smoking gun isn't found, is to simply run a test with a standard benchmark app, then run it again after changing the signature of the app. If the thermal limits are removed on after using a unique signature then the previous benchmark was doped.
  • Reply 62 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Allow me to buy a new iPhone a year later with nothing out of pocket.

Allow me to have a battery that lasts all day without having to micro-manage services, offer an excessively large battery or under-throttle apps (except in benchmarks) in order to achieve this goal.

Allow me to only ever power-cycle my phone when there is an update instead of several times a day.

Allow me to get a device from a carrier that isn't riddled with 3rd-party crapware.

Allow the best developers and best apps (usually first) because it offers the best SDK and App Store.

battery life u faill http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/25/ios-7-0-4-problems-continue-surface/

oh yes you are so perfect 

• Reply 63 of 169
    [quote name="Wilson Dur" url="/t/160936/samsung-galaxy-note-htc-one-caught-cheating-in-benchmarks-again/40#post_2440953"]battery life u faill [URL=http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/25/ios-7-0-4-problems-continue-surface/]http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/25/ios-7-0-4-problems-continue-surface/[/URL][/QUOTE]

That's a SW bug affecting some users. I was not affected by that bug on any of my devices but even if I was it's still a bug and not a result of inefficient HW or poorly considered trade-offs.
  • Reply 64 of 169
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

From cheated on benchmark tests? You expect a bunch of cheaters to catch other cheaters?

Yes, it’s the government’s responsibility to protect its citizens from wrongful and malicious advertisement.

• Reply 65 of 169
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Yes, it’s the government’s responsibility to protect its citizens from wrongful and malicious advertisement.

Then every auto maker would be in trouble, because most cars do not get the advertised MPG, oh and I've never gotten a fast food sandwich that looks as good as they do in commercials. I could go all night on wrongful advertisements.
  • Reply 66 of 169
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I thought you were joking because if Apple was doing this there would be some Senator that would expect Tim Cook to personally tell him why Apple does this (and then he'd ask him why he can't see his grandkids shared photos in the Camera app).

This is not something the government will ever be involved with. The companies that manage the tests will do a fine job of killing results from anyone that dopes their scores but even then the vendor does has a right to alter how their system work on different conditions so this is purely an ethical and not a legal issue.

Ethical sure, but probably breaks benchmarks terms of usage which pushes on legal front. You know how you can't just 100% freely use free software (Linux)? There are restrictions.
  • Reply 67 of 169
    rgh71 wrote: »
    Ethical sure, but probably breaks benchmarks terms of usage which pushes on legal front. You know how you can't just 100% freely use free software (Linux)? There are restrictions.

It does break the contractual agreement, which is a legal matter but that's still a civil issue.
  • Reply 68 of 169
    wilson dur wrote: »
    http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

do some research b4 you talk bs 

android has more support of both video and audio right out the box unlike ios

Funny when an idiot troll tries to sound intelligent but makes themselves look stupid. Nothing in your link even applies to my comment. Would you like to try again? Perhaps you need to read my post very carefully to make sure you understand it before responding. Then I won't have to clean up the coffee I spit over my monitor from laughing out loud at your post.
  • Reply 69 of 169
    timbit wrote: »
    How can they tell if it's boosting specs for benchmarks only? Could it be that it is boosting for all graphic and CPU intensive applications?

Please. Doyou even know what Samsung did? They specifically checked for certain benchmark Apps and modified the performance when they ran. No user would ever see that performance in a game or other App since the phone only runs "wide open" for certain benchmarks. Even after this was discovered Samsung still had the nerve to claim they weren't cheating.
  • Reply 70 of 169
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

im sorry but what can the iphone do that you cant do on the s4 

you cant make call, text,browse the web or something 

Yeah, you can look at your photo gallery on an S4 as well as an iPhone. Except on the S4 it takes 2 minutes to open.

• Reply 71 of 169
    splifsplif Posts: 603member

"keep drinking you apple juice "

duh, huh huh...me funny, drool.

• Reply 72 of 169
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Dur View Post

how do you know apple is not cheating, clearly you cant see anything that goes on on the cpu

So, Samsung gets caught doctoring the numbers (more than once). Following your logic, there could be even more cheating going on by Samsung because we can't see anything the CPU is doing?

• Reply 73 of 169
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then every auto maker would be in trouble, because most cars do not get the advertised MPG

The, uh… EPA puts that information out.

…I’ve never gotten a fast food sandwich that looks as good as they do in commercials.

I don’t believe there are regulations as to the appearance of food, simply the advertised content and quality, though I could be wrong.

I could go all night on wrongful advertisements. 

All of which would be fallacies designed to detract from the original purpose. “Hasn’t, therefore irrelevant when doesn’t” is the base form of said response, I believe. Just like another (not relevant) would be “Is when x, therefore is when y,” you see? Or “Since x often, presently, x.”

• Reply 74 of 169
    Yea, the NEW Samsung commercial spokesman = Lance Armstrong!
  • Reply 75 of 169
    Lance Armstrong can now get an endorsement contract from Samsung to pay his lawyers.
  • Reply 76 of 169
    I love posting this stuff on their facebook page. Of course most wont see it, but there is always a few that comment on it. :D

My all-time favorite facebook-sammy-moment is though, when they asked what device you would take to a deserted island (portraying a Galaxy in front of an exotic island) and about 90% of the several thousand replies said "iPhone".
  • Reply 77 of 169
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    wilson dur wrote: »
    They did not cheat, it's called ondeman or poweruser settings on the Cpu, Gpu. When it detects intense applications and games it reaches maximum frequencies. Just like a 4WD, when it uses torque where and when.

Ok troll, so why did these products post lower benchmarks when the benchmark app was renamed or the internal link was changed?
    The fact is, these products looked to see if it was running a benchmark app and increased the CPU speed. When it didn't know, it posted a lower score.
    If these products automatically detected intense use, the scores would have been the same.

How do you think the benchmark companies realised?
  • Reply 78 of 169
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So when is the government going to get involved here?

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

Completely and utterly irrelevant here. This is literally the government’s job: to protect its citizens. Enough of your purposefully confrontational BS.

and I see you're not. Protect it's citizens!? From what? the evils of a benchmark? Come on man.

• Reply 79 of 169
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

This is no different than Lance Armstrong and steroids. Lance also had a lot of support for many years and only recently when the full truth and scope of what he had done came out did that support begin to falter. Unless Samsung plans to allow those over clocked speeds for all apps all the time they are cheating plain and simple. They will not allow those speeds for other apps because they know it would likely  fry the CPU and also reduce the battery life in half. Unfortunately like the last time this cheating was revealed it didn't seem to gain much traction. I think there are a lot more misinformed people out there that think the Note 3 leaves the iPhone 5s and all other Android phones in the dust simply off of raw specs and these faulty benchmarks. 

• Reply 80 of 169
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

This is no different than Lance Armstrong and steroids. Lance also had a lot of support for many years and only recently when the full truth and scope of what he had done came out did that support begin to falter. Unless Samsung plans to allow those over clocked speeds for all apps all the time they are cheating plain and simple. They will not allow those speeds for other apps because they know it would likely  fry the CPU and also reduce the battery life in half. Unfortunately like the last time this cheating was revealed it didn't seem to gain much traction. I think there are a lot more misinformed people out there that think the Note 3 leaves the iPhone 5s and all other Android phones in the dust simply off of raw specs and these faulty benchmarks.

Your average consumer does not care about Geekbench, Futuremark, etc. Heck they don't even know what they are. Glad they have been removed from the apps database but it won't matter in the long run.