Apple honors Nelson Mandela on company homepage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Margaret Thatcher was barbaric and a terror says Morrissey

She did NOT tear down the european communist regime, the regime imploded.

So Communist regimes killed more than the West’s imperialism?

Get out of your cave.

LOOL.

"Singer Morrissey" is a very reputable a respectable person. :D

BTW

What does it change on a fact that Mandela was hard core communist and is responsible for many killings in South Africa?

• Reply 22 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

LOOL.

"Singer Morrissey" is a very reputable a respectable person. :D

BTW

What does it change on a fact that Mandela was hard core communist and is responsible for many killings in South Africa?

Is that yr point?

Are we in kindergarden?

Why did he kill?

Do you ever thought about that?

Surely yr opinion worth more than anyone’s!

• Reply 23 of 151
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Good move Apple.  The sheer number of people that Mandela help to free from an ugly and brutal regime, not to mention the number of people all over the world that his life has inspired makes this a very classy and understanding move by Apple.

• Reply 24 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I agreed with his cause, but not his methods. Everyone wears blinkers & choose to only remember the good parts, conveniently forgetting (or ignorantly simply not knowing) the terrible actions that he took.

He was a terrorist, he wasn't imprisoned for being black.

For those who are not aware here is a small article that covers the basics: http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

To be fair to Mandela he asked people not to call him a hero. It's our media that has decided to turn him into some saintly perfect figure.

Now Gandhi, Gandhi was a real hero. And Gandhi achieved the same goal without blowing up civilian populations or necklacing ones own people who did not agree with his point of view.

Thanks for the link. It is good to know the background.

Although he did not reach the stature of Mandela, I thought the same about Menachem Begin and the King David Hotel bombing in 1946. 91 dead.

Best

P.S. I do agree, Apple is a class act! :)

• Reply 25 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I agreed with his cause, but not his methods. Everyone wears blinkers & choose to only remember the good parts, conveniently forgetting (or ignorantly simply not knowing) the terrible actions that he took.

He was a terrorist, he wasn't imprisoned for being black.

For those who are not aware here is a small article that covers the basics: http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

To be fair to Mandela he asked people not to call him a hero. It's our media that has decided to turn him into some saintly perfect figure.

Now Gandhi, Gandhi was a real hero. And Gandhi achieved the same goal without blowing up civilian populations or necklacing ones own people who did not agree with his point of view.

It wouldn't surprise me if someone can dig up a shady chapter in Gandhi's life. We all have them.

It is important to know the truth. But it is nearly impossible to do so, even for those close to the man. History is complicated and never as simple as good or bad, but it becomes condensed over time. 

Checkered past or not, the last part of Mandela's life has been globally inspirational, in ways that were deserved and earned. Perhaps that is the most important thing to remember.

• Reply 26 of 151

Necklacing was NOT invented by Nelson Mandela. Even the briefest amount of research would lead you to discover that necklacing had occurred in 1984 in India during the anti-Sikh riots, a year before the first recorded incident in South Africa. Winnie Mandela supposedly endorsed the practice. However the ANC officially condemned it.

• Reply 27 of 151
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Checkered past or not, the last part of Mandela's life has been globally inspirational, in ways that were deserved and earned. Perhaps that is the most important thing to remember.
    This.
  • Reply 28 of 151
    If you kill people your a murderer. Let's prop him up on a pedestal and ignore that seeing only what we want tho. Great job apple!.....
  • Reply 29 of 151

This is the seventh time the homepage has featured a notable figure that was not a part of the Think Different campaign.

George Harrison in 2001, Jimmy Carter in 2002, Gregory Hines in 2003, Rosa Parks in 2005, Al Gore in 2007, and Steve Jobs in 2011.

• Reply 30 of 151
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Yeah, Tim Cook thinks differently, clearly Mandela is his hero.

And your proof of that is where?

• Reply 31 of 151
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    Point of view? May it be assumed that your own point of view is not the perspective of a non white African who endured a life of unending daily repression under apartheid? Hmm. Apartheid. The word itself is distinctly lacking from your comments. Not trying to provoke a fight here, but just agreeing with you that most revolutions involve various shades of gray - various shades of peacefulness and conflict. Various perspectives.

George Washington was a great and good leader and a hero to my country, but our Revolutionary War was not without its atrocities and yes - acts of terrorism.

Now I hope that we can bring this disagreement to a quiet resolution, because passions can be needlessly inflamed and this is neither the time nor place to set one against another. Otherwise, it's trolling, because we gather here to focus on Apple.

Wonderful post.
  • Reply 32 of 151
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alphafox View Post

If you kill people your a murderer. Let's prop him up on a pedestal and ignore that seeing only what we want tho. Great job apple!.....

I can think of numerous situations where killers are not murderers.

Murder is a specific legal term.  Here in the U.S. it typically means UNLAWFUL killing (as opposed to something like self-defense or war) with malice aforethought.  That's part of what distinguished murder from manslaughter, for example.  Then there are things like vehicular manslaughter, negligent homicide, and the like.

On top of that, you have plenty of situations where killing isn't murder because it isn't unlawful.  Self-defense and wartime being prime examples.  The NAZI soldiers who killed combatants in the line of combat were not murderers.  The NAZIs who took part in mass murder of civilians at places like Auschwitz, on the other hand, had committed murder.

So, killing != murder.

Now we can argue all day about the actions Mandela took, the situation in which those actions were taken, and the legal and moral implications of a someone fighting for freedom against an oppressive regime, and what is and what is not acceptable behavior.

However, what we CAN'T argue about is the fact that Mandela played a large role in freeing a huge number of people from a painful, dehumanizing, and brutal regime.  We CAN'T argue that for many, as evidenced by the last few days, he has served as an inspiration.

• Reply 33 of 151
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Yep, what I like the most is him singing "kill all whites".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOXqFQw2hc

He was just a plain communist with communist methods of killing.

If they honored Margaret Thatcher, the person who pulled down the Iron Curtain, I wouldn't blink an eye. There was no response to her death from Apple and of course our Commander in Chief sent no serving representation to her funeral. With Mandela, this public outcry is completely inappropriate, commie is a commie.

If you actually understood communism

• Reply 34 of 151
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

George Washington was a great and good leader and a hero to my country, but our Revolutionary War was not without its atrocities and yes - acts of terrorism.

The Haudenosaunee name for George Washington (Conotocaurious) translates to "Town Destroyer". 

• Reply 35 of 151
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ochyming wrote: »

You Lie!
    Bin Laden was a byproduct of the West imperialism, wasn’t he?

What imperialism? The West had permission from the Saudis to be in Saudi Arabia. Bun Laden apparently had no problem with Iraq taking Kuwait.
  • Reply 36 of 151
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    boriscleto wrote: »
    The Haudenosaunee name for George Washington (Conotocaurious) translates to "Town Destroyer". 
    You caused me to look up both terms since I was familiar with neither. Fascinating! Moreover, it circles us back to the observation that all mortals have their virtues and their faults, Mandela, Gandhi, Washington, Steve Jobs(!), etc. It's how history weighs them as a whole that matters.
  • Reply 37 of 151
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    Extension of the Think Different campaign. Nice move Apple.

I'm of two minds. Is everything about 'campaigns'? Marketing? What was the discussion in Cook's office?

"Mandela died."

"Didn't we use him in 'Think Different?' Does Marketing still have rights to his image?"

"Let's update the homepage for a week with a memorial, then resume the holiday theme."

Corporations Are People, Too. They have a heart? Show it to me. I don't believe it.

Remembering Jobs is one thing: he personified Apple.

Mandela spent 27 years in prison for his cause.

No comparison, hipsters. Now Mandela becomes a t-shirt image, like Einstein or Che Guevara.

I was living in St Thomas VI when Mandela was released. The whole island was insanely jubilant. It was a big deal. Flags stating "Mandela Freed" flew everywhere and the sound of car horns was deafening.

Apartheid was falling. He meant something real to the oppressed and underprivileged.

Tossing his image onto a marketing webpage trivializes his noble accomplishments and reduces him to a meme.

He's not a 64GB iPad - he was a great human being.
  • Reply 38 of 151
    ascii wrote: »
    My heroes are geniuses and scientists and inventors, not political figures. So I personally wouldn't call him a hero, but Tim Cook is a big human rights guy so I'm not surprised by this move. Tim Cook has a picture of Martin Luther King in his office supposedly.
    You seem to have some underlying issues of those who choose to take a stand against oppression which is sad!
  • Reply 39 of 151
    ochyming wrote: »

You Lie!
    Bin Laden was a byproduct of the West imperialism, wasn’t he?

Both are true. Mandela was a violent revolutionary and a Communist. Bin Laden was trained by the CIA to repel the Russians.

The upshot from the US viewpoint should be that whenever we allow our military and politicians to interfere and involve us in the affairs of other nations, no good ever comes of it.
  • Reply 40 of 151
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming
    Why did he kill?

Because he chose to do so.