Analyst predicts Apple will transform notebook market with 12-inch hybrid 'iPad Pro' this fall

Comments

• Reply 41 of 236
    With Tim Cook at the helm, things can only go downhill from here on in. He really appears clueless about cash hoards and revenue streams.
  • Reply 42 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's a reason the current iPad was renamed iPad Air, and the current MacBook Airs don't have retina displays. Apple has something cooking. But if Apple comes out with a hybrid device after Tim Cook has been shitting on them for the past two years then I think we'll know its time for Tim to go.

Steve pooped all over the idea of a "video iPod" and they did pretty good with that when they decided to go ahead with the concept.

Ditto with ignoring Steve on the "nobody reads anymore" statement & reading on the iPad. 

• Reply 43 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't give a wang about his predictions, but a hybrid will never be done by Apple. Never.

I vehemently disagree. People said the same thing about tablets.

Apple did do a tablet. But they did it the right way, which was completely different from how anyone else tackled it.

I am not saying Apple will do a hybrid. What I am saying is that they are almost certainly looking at how to do a tablet, and if they do a tablet, it will have something different which makes it viable.

In fact, Apple has already been building towards a workable hybrid through iCloud, IMO. You have a hybrid which when detached from the keyboard/trackpad gives you an iOS interface, but a Mac OS X interface when plugged in. At the same time, it uses a local iCloud server to ensure that files in equivalent Mac OS X and iOS apps are completely in sync.

• Reply 44 of 236
    Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

It'll make sense to you when the internals and screen are higher specced than what's in the iPad Air.  

No, that’s not how it works.

• Reply 45 of 236
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, that’s not how it works.

How do you think it'll work?  That's how it works for the Macbook Air and Pro so I'm merely extrapolating.

• Reply 46 of 236
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    addicted44 wrote: »
    I vehemently disagree. People said the same thing about tablets.

Apple did do a tablet. But they did it the right way, which was completely different from how anyone else tackled it.

I am not saying Apple will do a hybrid. What I am saying is that they are almost certainly looking at how to do a tablet, and if they do a tablet, it will have something different which makes it viable.

In fact, Apple has already been building towards a workable hybrid through iCloud, IMO. You have a hybrid which when detached from the keyboard/trackpad gives you an iOS interface, but a Mac OS X interface when plugged in. At the same time, it uses a local iCloud server to ensure that files in equivalent Mac OS X and iOS apps are completely in sync.

I completely agree. They won't make a hybrid as we have seen; they could make something that could be designated as a hybrid, but 'not as we know it'.
  • Reply 47 of 236
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

I see this replacing the MacBook Air lineup. And good riddance...what a worthless netbook. 

• Reply 48 of 236
    macxpress wrote: »
    I see this replacing the MacBook Air lineup. And good riddance...what a worthless netbook. 

All netbooks are pretty worthless. Good thing the MBA isn't a netbook.
  • Reply 49 of 236
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

All netbooks are pretty worthless. Good thing the MBA isn't a netbook.

Its pretty much a netbook IMO. Apple just renamed the category. There isn't much you can do on a MacBook that you can't do on an iPad. 

• Reply 50 of 236
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    I want a full Mac computer with full file-system access, standard ports like USB, etc (whatever form factor), not a limited, jailed and crippled iOS toy (whatever form factor).
  • Reply 51 of 236
    Why wouldn't you want the "option" of a touch optimized OS X. It doesn't mean you have to use it. As for touch optimized, many of the apps are already there, Microsoft is touch optimizing (if we can call it that) many of their apps, others will follow of course. So why not. Seems like a logical step to merge the user experience between iOS and OS X. Besides, I would not under estimate what Apple is capable of. You might actually like it.
  • Reply 52 of 236
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    I think everything is about iOS and the journey to it as it evolves - the more processing power in an iPad will allow current desktop only programs to be written and adapted for use on iOS. Eg. Final cut.

If a larger pad is coming - that might also be an enabler from a usability stance in that there's a lot of stuff on screen.

Music workstation programmes I use like reason and Logic Pro x need a larger screen to work with even after changing the ui to work touch.

It's interesting how an iPad mini can now be used with Logic Pro x on the mac as a slave control panel, music keyboard and drum input - you could say this is the beginning of a move to iOS.

Keyboards can be used with iOS, even though it's all about touch. The main thing keeping pcs alive are the programs that are too demanding to possibly be used on an iPad today.
  • Reply 53 of 236
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The analyst sees such a device shaking up the traditional, established notebook market --?an industry that Apple rival Microsoft has been trying, but thus far largely failing, to overhaul with its own hybrid laptop-tablet devices running the Windows 8 platform.

How has it been failing?  Bay Trail tablets and 2-in-1s have been well received and will only get more attention at CES.  

Late 2014, Broadwell Y-series (Core i3, i5, i7) will be inside tablets and 2-in-1s in the 12 inch form factor. 

Microsoft's hardware woes are over.

• Reply 54 of 236
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Its pretty much a netbook IMO. Apple just renamed the category. There isn't much you can do on a MacBook that you can't do on an iPad. 

I don't see where you're going.  An iPad isn't a netbook either, and there is huge software differentiation between the iPad and the Macbook.

• Reply 55 of 236
    st88st88 Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

There isn't much you can do on a MacBook that you can't do on an iPad. 

So you think iOS can replace OS X?

• Reply 56 of 236
    macxpress wrote: »

Well I wouldn't want to start converting my pristine H.264 video's to VP9 on a MBA, but the laptop sure has its value. To many. And the iPad is a complete different device, for complete different uses. I hardly see any overlap.
    Microsoft is touch optimising...

'out of touch' in optimising, you mean. Really, when has MS ever optimised anything that enhanced the user experience?
    Seems like a logical step to merge the user experience between iOS and OS X.

This I cannot see. At all. iOS is finger-based / optimised. OSX is mouse-based / optimised. So no.
  • Reply 57 of 236
    virtuavirtua Posts: 209member
    st88 wrote: »
    So you think iOS can replace OS X?

For the masses - yes. There will be demands for laptop/ desktops for years to come and osx isn't going away anytime soon.

As the horsepower under iOS improves, companies producing more resource demanding apps will be enabled to make the crossover.

Think about it - apples business direction quote "we are in a post PC era"
  • Reply 58 of 236
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I have a feeling whatever Apple is cooking will involve iOS, not make OSX touch based. There's plenty Apple can do on the iOS side of the house...user accounts, better inter-app communication, opening up Siri and Touch Id to developers, etc. I'd personally like to see changes to iOS before making OSX touch based.
  • Reply 59 of 236
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't give a wang about his predictions, but a hybrid will never be done by Apple. Never.

I tend to agree with you. However, IF Apple would to make a hybrid, they will do it in a way far different and better than the Surface.
  • Reply 60 of 236
    I think I know what they are up to - or at least what they should do.

Just adding bluetooth mouse support to ios will make the ipad a perfect thin client to connect to a Mac or PC via RDP. Then you have both an ipad and a traditional computer in one device.

Imagine Apple selling a subscription to a Mac virtual machine via their cloud services with the new ipad pro (ios with mouse support).